HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 08:31 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
He has the same ESP/60 as Marcus Johansson this season, so he is going to do that in the future or something.

I loves me a good statistical analysis of the good ole hockey game just as much you do, OnlyBradleft.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Luongo may not be the answer to all our problems but he's in another league than Neuvirth and Holtby both career wise and right now. Anyone who doesn't think he'd be a massive upgrade on either is deluding themselves.

.944/1.46 and nucks skaters are playing almost as bad as ours.
oh yea. roberto luongo is the perfect capitals goalie. great in the regular season and collapse in the playoffs. theodore to the 10th power.

lol. no thanks.

honestly, i think both holtby and neuvirth have acquited themselves better in their limited playoff action than has luongo.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Luongo's career stats: .919/2.51 regular season, .916/2.53 playoffs.

(Not remotely in favor of trading for him.)

Old
02-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
oh yea. roberto luongo is the perfect capitals goalie. great in the regular season and collapse in the playoffs. theodore to the 10th power.
I thought that's what we wanted? With all the pining for Boudreau and whatnot?

But yeah, .916 career playoff save % over 61 playoff games on not a particularly good defensive team, including going to game 7 of the SCF, is something we can laugh at as caps fans. Good call.

Quote:
honestly, i think both holtby and neuvirth have acquited themselves better in their limited playoff action than has luongo.
You can't be serious. Holtby had #hunterhockey on his side clearing every rebound he came across and playing flawless defense. Neuvirth was worse than all of Luongo's playoff years except maybe one. Also while you did acknowledge limited, sample size is a thing.

I'm sorry, I hate to say it but Luongo is an elite goalie who has been very good in the playoffs anytime he didn't have to face the Hawks. Them be facts though you can dress them up as you wish.

If we want to salvage the season (I don't) getting Luongo would get us far closer to it than any other realistic move. Hell, even closer than most non-realistic ones.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:13 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Luongo may not be the answer to all our problems but he's in another league than Neuvirth and Holtby both career wise and right now. Anyone who doesn't think he'd be a massive upgrade on either is deluding themselves.
How many seasons has Holtby played again? Give the guy a chance, before going out and getting a proven post-season loser in Luongo.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
How many seasons has Holtby played again? Give the guy a chance, before going out and getting a proven post-season loser in Luongo.
If Holtby was half as much a proven post season loser as Luongo we'd grab onto his nuts and never let go.

Holtby may become better just like any unproven player can become better than any proven player, but his tools aren't quite elite.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Halpysback

To reiterate, I am not advocating trading for Luongo.

But he is much, much better than either of our goalies. Sorry.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

A guy on a long term deal? What could possibly go wrong?

Old
02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
I thought that's what we wanted? With all the pining for Boudreau and whatnot?

But yeah, .916 career playoff save % over 61 playoff games on not a particularly good defensive team, including going to game 7 of the SCF, is something we can laugh at as caps fans. Good call.

You can't be serious. Holtby had #hunterhockey on his side clearing every rebound he came across and playing flawless defense. Neuvirth was worse than all of Luongo's playoff years except maybe one. Also while you did acknowledge limited, sample size is a thing.

I'm sorry, I hate to say it but Luongo is an elite goalie who has been very good in the playoffs anytime he didn't have to face the Hawks. Them be facts though you can dress them up as you wish.

If we want to salvage the season (I don't) getting Luongo would get us far closer to it than any other realistic move. Hell, even closer than most non-realistic ones.
This

I can't believe people think Holtby or Neuvirth are in Luongo's class as a goalie.
Not to mention, if The Caps truly believe in Holtby, then it would help his development having Luongo mentor him.

If McPhee traded Mojo and a pick and was able to dump Schultz.....people wouldn't want Luongo?
As for rebuilding,....why would the Caps rebuild around Ovi , Green and Nicky at their age with those contracts?
It's ridiculous

Old
02-03-2013, 10:19 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

.944/1.46 and nucks skaters are playing almost as bad as ours.
Canucks played terrible against the Hawks....it was all Luongo.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:41 PM
artilector

I've barely watched the Caps this year, mostly just reading boxscores and browsing here... but my sense right now is, if the Caps can't establish a successful identity under Oates, it's over for this team under this GM. They have to look to rebuild the core around new players and great pieces like Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner. Ideally bring in a new GM with a more specific vision of what kind of a team needs to be built. Ovechkin.. I don't know, honestly I think with every year his contract is gonna be more and more of an albatross, so if you think you can get a good return for him, you deal him.

I have no idea what Leonsis is thinking at this point, so I don't have any expectations of Caps making any changes. I guess when Forsberg and maybe Kuz come over it will be interesting to see what happens, and puncher's chance in playoffs until then.

McPhee needs to go, though. He's not a bad GM, but this particular experiment is not looking good, and unless Oates can turn this thing around miraculously, the Caps need a new sense of direction.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
sunnydaycrash

Caps : Goals For : 17th over all
Goals Against :tied for last

Goaltending and Defense are obviously a bigger problem

Old
02-03-2013, 11:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Nm!!

Old
02-03-2013, 11:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Canucks fan here. Luongo has played lights out for us this year, could easily be 4-0 right now if it weren't for the god damn shootout! Anyway I'm not a fan of trading him at this point due to how good he's been playing. But if we were to deal Luongo a return we'd be looking for is Laich+Johanssen+Neuvirth for Lu+Raymond/Higgins. Would you guys be willing to do a deal like that? If not what's the most you'd offer for Luongo? Thanks in advance.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Caps : Goals For : 17th over all
Goals Against :tied for last

Goaltending and Defense are obviously a bigger problem
G/G and GA/G are more accurate than total.

They're bottom 5 in both of those. Everything is a huge problem. At this point retank is the only way to fix it for good.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Canucks fan here. Luongo has played lights out for us this year, could easily be 4-0 right now if it weren't for the god damn shootout! Anyway I'm not a fan of trading him at this point due to how good he's been playing. But if we were to deal Luongo a return we'd be looking for is Laich+Johanssen+Neuvirth for Lu+Raymond/Higgins. Would you guys be willing to do a deal like that? If not what's the most you'd offer for Luongo? Thanks in advance.
Pretty much no one here wants him, we'd rather tank.

Those that are open to the idea would prefer it for scraps

I'd say that's fair value, give or take, prob a pick to the caps since Johansson is doing terrible right now but his actual value is more. But you won't find anyone willing to do it. I'd do something like Neuvirth + Schultz/Hamrlik + Kundratek + Galiev in a second, but Canucks probably hate it. All in all I'd rather tank.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:39 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
G/G and GA/G are more accurate than total.

They're bottom 5 in both of those. Everything is a huge problem. At this point retank is the only way to fix it for good.
So lets say we tank, then who are we looking to dump come April?

Obviously, Sarge,Hamrlik,Poti,Crabb,Perreault all for scraps....Ribeiro might fetch a 1st
I dunno, doesn't make much sense unless we're ready to dump Laich, Green and maybe Ward or a new GM is brought in, keep the core and start again in the summer.

Ovi and Nicky are 27 and 25.....unless we hang on to the core, bring in a new GM and hope he doesn't muck things up.....even tanking could be disastrous with Ted at the helm.

What a bloody mess. A core of players in their prime with long expensive contracts, and our GM can't tell his head from his ass.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
So lets say we tank, then who are we looking to dump come April?

Obviously, Sarge,Hamrlik,Poti,Crabb,Perreault all for scraps....Ribeiro might fetch a 1st
I dunno, doesn't make much sense unless we're ready to dump Laich, Green and maybe Ward or a new GM is brought in, keep the core and start again in the summer.

Ovi and Nicky are 27 and 25.....unless we hang on to the core, bring in a new GM and hope he doesn't muck things up.....even tanking could be disastrous with Ted at the helm.

What a bloody mess. A core of players in their prime with long expensive contracts, and our GM can't tell his head from his ass.

This is the best year to tank we're ever gonna get. Strongest UFA class I can recall, very NHL ready draft, and only 2 months left in the season.

Sarge gets bought out

Hamrlik, Poti, Chimera for whatever anyone would give

Ribeiro for 1st+

Laich, Johansson, Ward, Brouwer, one of Holtby/Neuvirth packaged with secondary picks, Galiev and Kundratek for whatever good assets we can get. If some package there can get O'Reilly, Ryan or Kulemin or something I'd do it.

Green probably stays but I'd try to do a reverse Burns trade (with Minnesota or Philly).

MacKinnon/Barkov at the draft.

Backstrom/Nabokov/Howard for starter, Neuvirth or Holtby for backup (other traded for value), Smid, Lydman, maybe a PMD like Streit or Whitney on D, 4-5 good two way forwards that would feel at home in the playoffs (this draft class is loaded), Forsberg in next year and we're back in business.

Ovechkin Weiss Setoguchi (from reverse Green trade)
Clowe Backstrom Ryder/Penner/Clarkson/Perry/Semin/whoever
Winnik O'Reilly Forsberg
Hendricks Beagle Clutterbuck

Alzner Carlson
Lydman - two way PMD
Smid - Orlov

Nabokov/Backstrom/Howard
Neuvirth/Holtby

Old
02-04-2013, 12:20 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
This is the best year to tank we're ever gonna get. Strongest UFA class I can recall, very NHL ready draft, and only 2 months left in the season.

Sarge gets bought out

Ribeiro for 1st+

Laich, Johansson, Ward, Brouwer, one of Holtby/Neuvirth packaged with secondary picks, Galiev and Kundratek for whatever good assets we can get. If some package there can get O'Reilly, Ryan or Kulemin or something I'd do it.

Green probably stays but I'd try to do a reverse Burns trade (with Minnesota or Philly).

Backstrom/Nabokov/Howard for starter, Neuvirth or Holtby for backup (other traded for value), Smid, Lydman, maybe a PMD like Streit or Whitney on D, 4-5 good two way forwards that would feel at home in the playoffs (this draft class is loaded), Forsberg in next year and we're back in business.

Winnik O'Reilly Forsberg

Alzner Carlson
Lydman - two way PMD
Smid - Orlov

Nabokov/Backstrom/Howard
Neuvirth/Holtby
That's a huge overhaul......Just can't see it happening, not with McPhee at the helm, but I have to say, I'd love to see Clowe and Clutterbuck on the Caps.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post

I have no idea what Leonsis is thinking at this point, so I don't have any expectations of Caps making any changes. I guess when Forsberg and maybe Kuz come over it will be interesting to see what happens, and puncher's chance in playoffs until then.

art,

The thing about Ted is that he doesn't think. I mean that literally. He is not at all intellectual. He goes by feel. I don't mean that he's dumb--I'm sure his IQ is fine. But he chooses to not think about the facts. His mental habit is to hope. He doesn't make judgments. He puts a halo over every mediocrity he touches.

No thinking man would put up with a sorry franchise like this without taking radical action.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
That's a huge overhaul......Just can't see it happening, not with McPhee at the helm, but I have to say, I'd love to see Clowe and Clutterbuck on the Caps.
Eh, Burke pretty much swapped out all Anaheim's top 6 and top 4 a year after he became GM. McPhee probably won't do it but if he sticks around there's no hope either way. Tallon did a huge swap in Florida in a year.

I don't think we'll have a draft class with as many playoff-inclined players available in a long long time.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:33 AM
ginner classic

Quote:

Sarge gets bought out

Ribeiro for 1st+

Winnik O'Reilly Forsberg

Alzner Carlson
Lydman - two way PMD
Smid - Orlov

Nabokov/Backstrom/Howard
Neuvirth/Holtby
There are 30 teams chasing UFA's. Why would 25% of the quality ones pick Washington?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
There are 30 teams chasing UFA's. Why would 25% of the quality ones pick Washington?

Or even 1%? I can't imagine any difference-maker will sign UFA with the Caps. They almost never do.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:44 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Caps don't sign top tier UFAs because they don't pursue them.

Detroit every year seems to have their fans thinking, omg detroit everyone wants to come here. Then Detroit low balls every UFA and they don't get anyone.

Like I said, if they aren't content with drafting high, then they should offer sheet ROR. Then again, you guys will go on with this imaginary idea that other teams will offer sheet Alzner because of it.

Closed Thread