HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 08:47 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Good news this morning. The Caps as of today will be the first allowed to claim a player off waivers. So hopefully they don't botch this up and win on Tuesday. LOL

That's what Oates' system and hard work have earned them. Way to go guys!

Old
02-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Good news this morning. The Caps as of today will be the first allowed to claim a player off waivers. So hopefully they don't botch this up and win on Tuesday. LOL

That's what Oates' system and hard work have earned them. Way to go guys!
sweet! More Dumpster Diving for everyone!

Old
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
msrulo

Any chance the caps can pick up a modest European player with talent and offer him a spot on the roster? Red Wings have succeeded doing that with Damien Brunner, Anaheim with Viktor Fasth. We need a top line left wing on our roster.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Any chance the caps can pick up a modest European player with talent and offer him a spot on the roster? Red Wings have succeeded doing that with Damien Brunner, Anaheim with Viktor Fasth. We need a top line left wing on our roster.
Yes more Wolskis please.

Personally, I'd prefer an immodest North American.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
CrashTheNet9

Wolski hasn't played in Europe besides during the lockout. I don't know why you're mentioning him when he brought up Brunner and Fasth.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Yeah, Wolski's more Canadian than anything.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
I think they could use a European FA in goal.
Joacim Eriksson http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9784
Antti Raanta http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016
Benjamin Conz http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15292

Old
02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

That was my error, you are correct about Wolski. Still just with Brooks Laich returning someone needs to be removed (traded or waived) from the current roster. An acquisition as discussed would mean the removal of a second person from the roster who are the candidates.

Just from scratches, Hamrlik has to be at the top of the list, who else?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Conz and Raanta look like solid goalies, I would pick one up if I was GM.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Johansson misses a practice with an injury... from not playing hockey, will not travel with team to FLA.
Johansson for Rakell. Pretty please.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Carlson is blowing defensive zone coverages and not boxing anyone out. It's not just his "offensive style" that's causing the goals against. He's simply been awful in the defensive zone.
He was last year during the regular season too.

One thing about Carlson..when you really need him to he ALWAYS steps up his game.

Not worried one bit about him and he is untouchable unlike Wideman type

Old
02-11-2013, 11:49 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Conz and Raanta look like solid goalies, I would pick one up if I was GM.
And with Eriksson, by the way, you can't sign him, you can only draft him (like Anaheim with Andersen).

Old
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Capathetic

Hamrlik for Brian Boyle? Doesn't fix the return of Laich problem,but Boyle could help the pk.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
He was last year during the regular season too.

One thing about Carlson..when you really need him to he ALWAYS steps up his game.

Not worried one bit about him and he is untouchable unlike Wideman type
We really needed him so far this season, and he's been nowhere to be found. While I agree he was subpar in the defensive zone last year too, it wasn't this bad. He's not even playing on the shutdown pairing, and he still can't stop anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Benjamin Conz, NHL '11 legend.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
We really needed him so far this season, and he's been nowhere to be found. While I agree he was subpar in the defensive zone last year too, it wasn't this bad. He's not even playing on the shutdown pairing, and he still can't stop anybody.

Benjamin Conz, NHL '11 legend.
We needed the goalies to step up this year too. Have they?

We needed Backstrom and Ovechkin to produce this year. Have they?

What do you suggest we do? Bench everyone?

Fact is Carlson is a pup. He's going to have ups and downs and growing pains. Gotta live with it. Moaning and groaning won't solve anything. Just have to give him time to work it out.

Same can be said for our young goalies and #8 and #19

Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
We needed the goalies to step up this year too. Have they?

We needed Backstrom and Ovechkin to produce this year. Have they?

What do you suggest we do? Bench everyone?

Fact is Carlson is a pup. He's going to have ups and downs and growing pains. Gotta live with it. Moaning and groaning won't solve anything. Just have to give him time to work it out.

Same can be said for our young goalies and #8 and #19
Ovechkin isn't close to a pup.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
Ovechkin isn't close to a pup.
Never said he was. Carlson is.

Fact is lots of our players have to play better. Not sure why Carlson is being singled out so harshly.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Stewie G

Quote:

Fact is lots of our players have to play better. Not sure why Carlson is being singled out so harshly.
He's been terrible. There are different levels of playing poorly and Carlson has been on the bottom level. He's trying to jump on the first Goomba and jumps too soon and gets killed.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
He's been terrible. There are different levels of playing poorly and Carlson has been on the bottom level. He's trying to jump on the first Goomba and jumps too soon and gets killed.
Outside of the FLA game Neuvirth and Holtby have been terrible too.

What they all have in common is that they are youngish 20 somethings.

Caps fans have to be more patient here. OFCOURSE young players are going to struggle and have ups and downs.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:

I've singled out plenty of players. I've given Ovechkin his lumps. I called for Holtby to be sent back to Hershey to regain his composure (though playing against Florida is just as good ).

But Carlson is playing like garbage. He's getting singled out here because he's giving up more goals than anyone else, and frequently hangs the goalies out to dry. That doesn't mean that other people aren't playing like garbage. But just because the team is ****, doesn't mean that Carlson gets a free pass for being too stupid to figure out how to play a new defensive scheme.

And your claim was that Carlson steps up when we need him to. He's clearly not do that now. I never claimed that the goalies or Ovechkin or Backstrom or anyone stepped up, so pointing out that they suck too has absolutely no bearing on this conversation.

Plenty of young players do get back on track after some "growing pains." Others don't. Seeing Carlson looking this lost is absolutely a cause for concern.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

Plenty of young players do get back on track after some "growing pains." Others don't. Seeing Carlson looking this lost is absolutely a cause for concern.
No its not. Its to be expected. How old is Carlson again????

Refresh my memory..at what age did Chara become the monster he is and not the goofball he was with the Isles?

You are being reactionary. How quickly you forget the beast Carlson was in last years playoffs.

You are doing a "what have you done for me lately" bit and knee jerking to 12 games in the regular season after a no training camp offseason.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
No its not. Its to be expected. How old is Carlson again????

Refresh my memory..at what age did Chara become the monster he is and not the goofball he was with the Isles?

You are being reactionary. How quickly you forget the beast Carlson was in last years playoffs.

You are doing a "what have you done for me lately" bit and knee jerking to 12 games in the regular season after a no training camp offseason.
Since when is making an observation being reactionary? Are we supposed to fly by on cruise control for the entire regular season, only paying attention in the playoffs? I never called for Carlson to be traded or benched. I simply pointed out that he's playing like total garbage.

Jeff Schultz was unbeatable against New York in the playoffs two years ago. Should we be more patient with him, too?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Since when is making an observation being reactionary? Are we supposed to fly by on cruise control for the entire regular season, only paying attention in the playoffs? I never called for Carlson to be traded or benched. I simply pointed out that he's playing like total garbage.

Jeff Schultz was unbeatable against New York in the playoffs two years ago. Should we be more patient with him, too?
Carlson is a few years younger than Schultz and has been a MUCH better playoff performer.

Not sure exactly what you are calling for? Are you just stating that Carlson is struggling???

If so then I agree. He is struggling a bit right now.

The point is that its to be expected due to his age. Not sure why its coming as a shock to you or that you are on the verge of pressing the panic button.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Carlson is a few years younger than Schultz and has been a MUCH better playoff performer.

Not sure exactly what you are calling for? Are you just stating that Carlson is struggling???

If so then I agree. He is struggling a bit right now.

The point is that its to be expected due to his age. Not sure why its coming as a shock to you or that you are on the verge of pressing the panic button.
I'm not "calling for" anything. I'm stating a fact, that Carlson is struggling mightily (lol at "a bit") right now. You're acting like having the most goals scored against you in the NHL is typical. He has the 5th worst PK GA/60 among all defensemen in the league (while paired with the rock, Alzner, who is playing just fine with Green at even strength). This isn't just a hiccup, this is a continuing issue with Carlson. He has prolonged periods of poor defensive play and has looked completely lost when he's not paired with Alzner.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I'm not "calling for" anything. I'm stating a fact, that Carlson is struggling mightily (lol at "a bit") right now. You're acting like having the most goals scored against you in the NHL is typical. He has the 5th worst PK GA/60 among all defensemen in the league (while paired with the rock, Alzner, who is playing just fine with Green at even strength). This isn't just a hiccup, this is a continuing issue with Carlson. He has prolonged periods of poor defensive play and has looked completely lost when he's not paired with Alzner.
Do you mean the first 12 games this season? Why not look at the last 26 games he's played? What is your assessment now?

Carlson has looked better with Erskine actually.

Our PK has sucked in large part due to horrible goaltending issues. It makes everyone look bad.

Closed Thread