HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
  #801
Jedgi
Registered User
 
Jedgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I hear a lot of 'this team has no talent' observations so I went back and looked at the last great, regular season, Caps team the '09-'10 Presidents Trophy winning team.

How much more talented was that team than this one?

Backstrom - Backstrom
Morrison - Ribiero
Gordon - Perreault/Johansson
Steckel - Beagle
Ovechkin - Ovechkin
Laich - Laich
Fleischmann - Ward
Chimera - Chimera
Semin - Wolski
Knuble - Brouwer
Fehr - Fehr
Bradley - Hendricks

Green - Green
Schultz - Schultz
Poti - Poti
Morrisonn - Alzner
Erskine - Erskine
Pothier - Carlson

Theodore - Neuvirth
Varlamov - Holtby
These are pretty big fall-offs.

Jedgi is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
  #802
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Sabres' GM Darcy Regier is looking for help, but it's slow going. "I’ve talked to some GMs the last few days. It’s a pretty quiet market right now. A number of teams have very small things they want to do, quite honestly, with the hope that whether it’s with their players or our players, they’re going to get them on track because of their previous history of them being a lot better. That kind of leaves it where we’re saying, 'Let’s touch base again later in the week or later on.' Teams sitting in positions similar to us are hoping to turn it around with the group that they have and then in the event they don’t, looking at the trade market. But as you said, it’s pretty soft right now."
This is from Friday.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
  #803
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
This is from Friday.
sounds like eklund... ignore.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
  #804
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Interesting how "injured" Marcus Johansson, who is not traveling with his team is a good fit in the struggling Sabres' quick transition system.

...Is what I'd say if I liked making completely baseless speculations over the internet.

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
  #805
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Interesting how "injured" Marcus Johansson, who is not traveling with his team is a good fit in the struggling Sabres' quick transition system.

...Is what I'd say if I liked making completely baseless speculations over the internet.
He's terrible at faceoffs, so he fits them perfectly!

brs03 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
  #806
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He's terrible at faceoffs, so he fits them perfectly!
The panel would have also accepted:
"He's bad at multiple positions, so he fits them perfectly!"

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
  #807
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I hear a lot of 'this team has no talent' observations so I went back and looked at the last great, regular season, Caps team the '09-'10 Presidents Trophy winning team.

How much more talented was that team than this one?

Backstrom - Backstrom
Morrison - Ribiero
Gordon - Perreault/Johansson
Steckel - Beagle
Ovechkin - Ovechkin
Laich - Laich
Fleischmann - Ward
Chimera - Chimera
Semin - Wolski
Knuble - Brouwer
Fehr - Fehr
Bradley - Hendricks

Green - Green
Schultz - Schultz
Poti - Poti
Morrisonn - Alzner
Erskine - Erskine
Pothier - Carlson

Theodore - Neuvirth
Varlamov - Holtby
It's also worth noting that the Caps don't exist in a vacuum. Look at the way Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver and the NYR have built insane depth. Not to get into a discussion of whether I would make the individual moves those teams have made, but they did in fact make moves to concentrate high end offensive depth. It's a different league than it was just two years ago. But we're helmed by captain conservative.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
  #808
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It's also worth noting that the Caps don't exist in a vacuum.
I don't know, they are pretty good at sucking.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
  #809
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
I don't know, they are pretty good at sucking.


And for good measure.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
  #810
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It's also worth noting that the Caps don't exist in a vacuum. Look at the way Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver and the NYR have built insane depth. Not to get into a discussion of whether I would make the individual moves those teams have made, but they did in fact make moves to concentrate high end offensive depth. It's a different league than it was just two years ago. But we're helmed by captain conservative.
So Ovechkin's and Backstom's games have dropped off a cliff because a few teams throughout the league have improved? Have any other team regressed during that time?

I'm just tired of the excuses so many continue to make for our well paid high end talent that isn't anywhere close to getting the job done on the ice. There is more than enough talent surrounding these guys so they should be playing and producing a whole lot better than they are.

Is this team a cup winner as currently constructed? No but they sure aren't one of the dregs of the league either as long as 8 and 19 are playing halfway worth a damn.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
  #811
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
I don't know, they are pretty good at sucking.
Post of the year.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:30 PM
  #812
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,652
vCash: 1300
Captain Conservative


RandyHolt is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
  #813
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So Ovechkin's and Backstom's games have dropped off a cliff because a few teams throughout the league have improved? Have any other team regressed during that time?

I'm just tired of the excuses so many continue to make for our well paid high end talent that isn't anywhere close to getting the job done on the ice. There is more than enough talent surrounding these guys so they should be playing and producing a whole lot better than they are.

Is this team a cup winner as currently constructed? No but they sure aren't one of the dregs of the league either as long as 8 and 19 are playing halfway worth a damn.
I didn't realize that's where you were going. I think our lack of depth is the difference between being in the playoff hunt versus being the worst team in the league by a good margin.

As to Ovechkin and Backstrom, yes, they absolutely suck relative to their ability and paygrade and they bear the vast majority of that blame. But having no one to help them out doesn't exactly help them. With Laich out, we have 3 players who would have a top 6 role on the top teams in the league. That matters.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
  #814
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Huge falloff there IMO. Semin and Flash are players that can score anytime they have the puck on their sticks. The had the scorers touch when shooting.

Also most of the core had years of learning BBs system coming up together in Hershey. So it wasnt like a bunch of guys trying to learn to play together at pickup hockey.
That huge falloff is enough to be last place in the league.

msrulo is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
  #815
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I didn't realize that's where you were going. I think our lack of depth is the difference between being in the playoff hunt versus being the worst team in the league by a good margin.

As to Ovechkin and Backstrom, yes, they absolutely suck relative to their ability and paygrade and they bear the vast majority of that blame. But having no one to help them out doesn't exactly help them. With Laich out, we have 3 players who would have a top 6 role on the top teams in the league. That matters.
Apparently replacing Semin is as easy as inserting a simple 20g scorer in the lineup.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
  #816
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,398
vCash: 500
i get a kick out of all the flash love. at the time he was traded the consensus was that the only reason he played was that he was boudreau's illegitimate son.

txpd is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
  #817
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,008
vCash: 500
The gripe with Flash is that he vanished when the going got tough. Guess what he did in Florida during the playoffs? Vanish. Only 1G and 3 points in 7 games against the Devils, none of which came after game 3.

I get the frustration regarding shedding all of the wingers with offensive talent, but come on.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
  #818
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,652
vCash: 1300
Why about the hypocrisy of Flash getting traded, the fans wishes answered, leading largely to the demise of our offensive greatness. And it was the beginning of the end of Bruce.

That was the big roster trade George tried, and while I wanted Flash gone, had no idea it would cause Bruce and our team to crumble.

George pulled the rug out from under Bruce it seems.

Want a do over or some crow!

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
  #819
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why about the hypocrisy of Flash getting traded, the fans wishes answered, leading largely to the demise of our offensive greatness. And it was the beginning of the end of Bruce.

That was the big roster trade George tried, and while I wanted Flash gone, had no idea it would cause Bruce and our team to crumble.

George pulled the rug out from under Bruce it seems.

Want a do over or some crow!
i was fine with trading fleischmann. i was excited that they got hannan. who knew that both ends of that would be a fail?

txpd is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
  #820
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So Ovechkin's and Backstom's games have dropped off a cliff because a few teams throughout the league have improved? Have any other team regressed during that time?

I'm just tired of the excuses so many continue to make for our well paid high end talent that isn't anywhere close to getting the job done on the ice. There is more than enough talent surrounding these guys so they should be playing and producing a whole lot better than they are.

Is this team a cup winner as currently constructed? No but they sure aren't one of the dregs of the league either as long as 8 and 19 are playing halfway worth a damn.
Ok Millhaus.

You like to poke holes in everyone else's comments, yet I dont often see you pinpoint what YOU would do here.

Caps top players that you listed from 09 (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green...3/4 of the Young Guns, and whats left) are far from their 2009 forms. So what do YOU do to fix that?

Were their 2009 forms an aberration? Is this current form closer to the norm? Is it in between? What?

I am asking you to tell us what you think needs to be done to fix it.

My guess is it will be a simple "stay the course" (gosh, where have I heard that before?)

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
  #821
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i was fine with trading fleischmann. i was excited that they got hannan. who knew that both ends of that would be a fail?
it shouldnt have been. I agree it was. But I still dont understand why

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
  #822
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,003
vCash: 500
@DarrenDreger: As we discussed in Insider Trading initial trade talk has Colorado requesting a roster player and top prospect for O'Reilly. #TSN

FWIW.

Langway is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
  #823
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@DarrenDreger: As we discussed in Insider Trading initial trade talk has Colorado requesting a roster player and top prospect for O'Reilly. #TSN

FWIW.
Can't see where he fits in here unless they move Ribeiro.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
  #824
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Johansson arguably fits both of those criteria at once. 1-for-1 swap.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:59 PM
  #825
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Johansson arguably fits both of those criteria at once. 1-for-1 swap.
Meh, I'm in a generous mood add Galiev with MAJO for ROR and we'll call it a day.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.