HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Jedgi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I hear a lot of 'this team has no talent' observations so I went back and looked at the last great, regular season, Caps team the '09-'10 Presidents Trophy winning team.

How much more talented was that team than this one?

Backstrom - Backstrom
Morrison - Ribiero
Gordon - Perreault/Johansson
Steckel - Beagle
Ovechkin - Ovechkin
Laich - Laich
Fleischmann - Ward
Chimera - Chimera
Semin - Wolski
Knuble - Brouwer
Fehr - Fehr
Bradley - Hendricks

Green - Green
Schultz - Schultz
Poti - Poti
Morrisonn - Alzner
Erskine - Erskine
Pothier - Carlson

Theodore - Neuvirth
Varlamov - Holtby
These are pretty big fall-offs.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Sabres' GM Darcy Regier is looking for help, but it's slow going. "I’ve talked to some GMs the last few days. It’s a pretty quiet market right now. A number of teams have very small things they want to do, quite honestly, with the hope that whether it’s with their players or our players, they’re going to get them on track because of their previous history of them being a lot better. That kind of leaves it where we’re saying, 'Let’s touch base again later in the week or later on.' Teams sitting in positions similar to us are hoping to turn it around with the group that they have and then in the event they don’t, looking at the trade market. But as you said, it’s pretty soft right now."
This is from Friday.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
This is from Friday.
sounds like eklund... ignore.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Interesting how "injured" Marcus Johansson, who is not traveling with his team is a good fit in the struggling Sabres' quick transition system.

...Is what I'd say if I liked making completely baseless speculations over the internet.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Interesting how "injured" Marcus Johansson, who is not traveling with his team is a good fit in the struggling Sabres' quick transition system.

...Is what I'd say if I liked making completely baseless speculations over the internet.
He's terrible at faceoffs, so he fits them perfectly!

Old
02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He's terrible at faceoffs, so he fits them perfectly!
The panel would have also accepted:
"He's bad at multiple positions, so he fits them perfectly!"

Old
02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I hear a lot of 'this team has no talent' observations so I went back and looked at the last great, regular season, Caps team the '09-'10 Presidents Trophy winning team.

How much more talented was that team than this one?

Backstrom - Backstrom
Morrison - Ribiero
Gordon - Perreault/Johansson
Steckel - Beagle
Ovechkin - Ovechkin
Laich - Laich
Fleischmann - Ward
Chimera - Chimera
Semin - Wolski
Knuble - Brouwer
Fehr - Fehr
Bradley - Hendricks

Green - Green
Schultz - Schultz
Poti - Poti
Morrisonn - Alzner
Erskine - Erskine
Pothier - Carlson

Theodore - Neuvirth
Varlamov - Holtby
It's also worth noting that the Caps don't exist in a vacuum. Look at the way Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver and the NYR have built insane depth. Not to get into a discussion of whether I would make the individual moves those teams have made, but they did in fact make moves to concentrate high end offensive depth. It's a different league than it was just two years ago. But we're helmed by captain conservative.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It's also worth noting that the Caps don't exist in a vacuum.
I don't know, they are pretty good at sucking.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post

And for good measure.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
It's also worth noting that the Caps don't exist in a vacuum. Look at the way Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver and the NYR have built insane depth. Not to get into a discussion of whether I would make the individual moves those teams have made, but they did in fact make moves to concentrate high end offensive depth. It's a different league than it was just two years ago. But we're helmed by captain conservative.
So Ovechkin's and Backstom's games have dropped off a cliff because a few teams throughout the league have improved? Have any other team regressed during that time?

I'm just tired of the excuses so many continue to make for our well paid high end talent that isn't anywhere close to getting the job done on the ice. There is more than enough talent surrounding these guys so they should be playing and producing a whole lot better than they are.

Is this team a cup winner as currently constructed? No but they sure aren't one of the dregs of the league either as long as 8 and 19 are playing halfway worth a damn.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Post of the year.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Captain Conservative

Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
So Ovechkin's and Backstom's games have dropped off a cliff because a few teams throughout the league have improved? Have any other team regressed during that time?

I'm just tired of the excuses so many continue to make for our well paid high end talent that isn't anywhere close to getting the job done on the ice. There is more than enough talent surrounding these guys so they should be playing and producing a whole lot better than they are.

Is this team a cup winner as currently constructed? No but they sure aren't one of the dregs of the league either as long as 8 and 19 are playing halfway worth a damn.
I didn't realize that's where you were going. I think our lack of depth is the difference between being in the playoff hunt versus being the worst team in the league by a good margin.

As to Ovechkin and Backstrom, yes, they absolutely suck relative to their ability and paygrade and they bear the vast majority of that blame. But having no one to help them out doesn't exactly help them. With Laich out, we have 3 players who would have a top 6 role on the top teams in the league. That matters.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Huge falloff there IMO. Semin and Flash are players that can score anytime they have the puck on their sticks. The had the scorers touch when shooting.

Also most of the core had years of learning BBs system coming up together in Hershey. So it wasnt like a bunch of guys trying to learn to play together at pickup hockey.
That huge falloff is enough to be last place in the league.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I didn't realize that's where you were going. I think our lack of depth is the difference between being in the playoff hunt versus being the worst team in the league by a good margin.

As to Ovechkin and Backstrom, yes, they absolutely suck relative to their ability and paygrade and they bear the vast majority of that blame. But having no one to help them out doesn't exactly help them. With Laich out, we have 3 players who would have a top 6 role on the top teams in the league. That matters.
Apparently replacing Semin is as easy as inserting a simple 20g scorer in the lineup.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
txpd

i get a kick out of all the flash love. at the time he was traded the consensus was that the only reason he played was that he was boudreau's illegitimate son.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

The gripe with Flash is that he vanished when the going got tough. Guess what he did in Florida during the playoffs? Vanish. Only 1G and 3 points in 7 games against the Devils, none of which came after game 3.

I get the frustration regarding shedding all of the wingers with offensive talent, but come on.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Why about the hypocrisy of Flash getting traded, the fans wishes answered, leading largely to the demise of our offensive greatness. And it was the beginning of the end of Bruce.

That was the big roster trade George tried, and while I wanted Flash gone, had no idea it would cause Bruce and our team to crumble.

George pulled the rug out from under Bruce it seems.

Want a do over or some crow!

Old
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why about the hypocrisy of Flash getting traded, the fans wishes answered, leading largely to the demise of our offensive greatness. And it was the beginning of the end of Bruce.

That was the big roster trade George tried, and while I wanted Flash gone, had no idea it would cause Bruce and our team to crumble.

George pulled the rug out from under Bruce it seems.

Want a do over or some crow!
i was fine with trading fleischmann. i was excited that they got hannan. who knew that both ends of that would be a fail?

Old
02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

Ok Millhaus.

You like to poke holes in everyone else's comments, yet I dont often see you pinpoint what YOU would do here.

Caps top players that you listed from 09 (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green...3/4 of the Young Guns, and whats left) are far from their 2009 forms. So what do YOU do to fix that?

Were their 2009 forms an aberration? Is this current form closer to the norm? Is it in between? What?

I am asking you to tell us what you think needs to be done to fix it.

My guess is it will be a simple "stay the course" (gosh, where have I heard that before?)

Old
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i was fine with trading fleischmann. i was excited that they got hannan. who knew that both ends of that would be a fail?
it shouldnt have been. I agree it was. But I still dont understand why

Old
02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@DarrenDreger: As we discussed in Insider Trading initial trade talk has Colorado requesting a roster player and top prospect for O'Reilly. #TSN

FWIW.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@DarrenDreger: As we discussed in Insider Trading initial trade talk has Colorado requesting a roster player and top prospect for O'Reilly. #TSN

FWIW.
Can't see where he fits in here unless they move Ribeiro.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Johansson arguably fits both of those criteria at once. 1-for-1 swap.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:59 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Johansson arguably fits both of those criteria at once. 1-for-1 swap.
Meh, I'm in a generous mood add Galiev with MAJO for ROR and we'll call it a day.

Closed Thread