HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Meh, I'm in a generous mood add Galiev with MAJO for ROR and we'll call it a day.
where do i sign?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
InjuredChoker

I doubt MaJo and Galiev is enough. They'd ask Carlson or Green.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Thats alot to ask for a player who wants to be paid like proven all star center. I would like him but for what they want (NHL player and good prospect) and the money we would have to pay him it would prolly be better to pass.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Thats alot to ask for a player who wants to be paid like proven all star center. I would like him but for what they want (NHL player and good prospect) and the money we would have to pay him it would prolly be better to pass.
Exactly. Not ONLY would we have to give up assets but we'd have to pay him $$$...which means chances are we'd have to let Ribeiro go for sure in the offseason.

So essentially it would be a 3 for 1 trade. I'd rather keep the depth.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I doubt MaJo and Galiev is enough. They'd ask Carlson or Green.
I was joking. I guess I should have used

Old
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I was joking. I guess I should have used
It was obvious you were joking since you didn't include Anton Gustafsson.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post

Old
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Ok Millhaus.

You like to poke holes in everyone else's comments, yet I dont often see you pinpoint what YOU would do here.

Caps top players that you listed from 09 (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green...3/4 of the Young Guns, and whats left) are far from their 2009 forms. So what do YOU do to fix that?

Were their 2009 forms an aberration? Is this current form closer to the norm? Is it in between? What?

I am asking you to tell us what you think needs to be done to fix it.

My guess is it will be a simple "stay the course" (gosh, where have I heard that before?)
Well I wouldn't continue to try to find every excuse in the book for their poor play and instead lay the blame where it belongs, at their feet.

I would call a spade a spade. The Caps made long term, much more than set for life commitments to these guys. Have they held up their end of the bargain? Are they in as good a shape as possible? Have they worked to improve their games or just sat on their laurels?

And this doesn't have to happen in the public eye, it can easily be done behind the scenes. I'd like to know that they think is the problem as it has to be obvious that they aren't doing nearly as well as a few years ago.

And when I say as good a shape as possible I am not necessarily saying they are fat and happy. Maybe in an effort to get stronger that extra muscle has resulted in less speed and quickness and shedding some of it will help them get a step back?

Honestly the first thing I would do with Ovechkin is send him to get his vision checked...

Old
02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well I wouldn't continue to try to find every excuse in the book for their poor play and instead lay the blame where it belongs, at their feet.

I would call a spade a spade. The Caps made long term, much more than set for life commitments to these guys. Have they held up their end of the bargain? Are they in as good a shape as possible? Have they worked to improve their games or just sat on their laurels?

And this doesn't have to happen in the public eye, it can easily be done behind the scenes. I'd like to know that they think is the problem as it has to be obvious that they aren't doing nearly as well as a few years ago.

And when I say as good a shape as possible I am not necessarily saying they are fat and happy. Maybe in an effort to get stronger that extra muscle has resulted in less speed and quickness and shedding some of it will help them get a step back?

Honestly the first thing I would do with Ovechkin is send him to get his vision checked...
I agree that their play is an issue. It's not what it was. Whether that is permanent, or not is the problem.

Lasik worked for Green, although his offensive numbers are not what they were. Backstrom and Ovechkin have had good years since their monster deals, so while that does play into it....its not all of it.

Do we trade one of them?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

So how many babies do I have to punch to get Ryan O'Reilly on this team?

Backstrom
Ribeiro
O'Reilly
Beagle

would be awesome center depth, with Hendricks and Perreault as spares.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So how many babies do I have to punch to get Ryan O'Reilly on this team?

Backstrom
Ribeiro
O'Reilly
Beagle

would be awesome center depth, with Hendricks and Perreault as spares.
How about we use our limited resources and cap space to address actual needs like top 6 winger or top 4 dman first?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

O'Reilly only makes sense if we decide to let Ribeiro go.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
How about we use our limited resources and cap space to address actual needs like top 6 winger or top 4 dman first?
Sure. What top 6 wingers or top 4 dmen of O'Reilly's caliber are available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
O'Reilly only makes sense if we decide to let Ribeiro go.
Not at all. He was reportedly close to signing in Colorado over the summer, meaning that he was OK with the role he would have played there, 3C. He'd play that here too, and be a huge contributor to a team trying to work its way back into contention. Having O'Reilly also gives flexibility to move Laich to top 6 wing (or top 4 D amirite?). He also provides insurance against Ribeiro walking, or trying to force a 3 or 4 year deal. I'm all for re-signing Ribeiro, but I agree that his game could suffer as age starts to catch up. And when Ribeiro finally does move on, O'Reilly is ready to step in as the 2C. In addition, O'Reilly is a rink rat and hard worker. He instantly upgrades the penalty kill and led the league in takeaways last year while leading his team in points. I see no downside to this (though I haven't CapGeeked it yet).

Old
02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
If you were serious, you would have made some reference to Young Turks.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Not at all. He was reportedly close to signing in Colorado over the summer, meaning that he was OK with the role he would have played there, 3C. He'd play that here too, and be a huge contributor to a team trying to work its way back into contention. Having O'Reilly also gives flexibility to move Laich to top 6 wing (or top 4 D amirite?). He also provides insurance against Ribeiro walking, or trying to force a 3 or 4 year deal. I'm all for re-signing Ribeiro, but I agree that his game could suffer as age starts to catch up. And when Ribeiro finally does move on, O'Reilly is ready to step in as the 2C. In addition, O'Reilly is a rink rat and hard worker. He instantly upgrades the penalty kill and led the league in takeaways last year while leading his team in points. I see no downside to this (though I haven't CapGeeked it yet).
First off, O'Reilly actually played more minutes than either Stastny or Duchene last year (both total and per game). He was their #1 center, just about any way you look at it. He played the most minutes, had the most points, and after the initial part of the season where Winnik was on his RW, got the best linemates.

But my concern wasn't about what role he'd accept, but rather the cap implications. Rumors are that he's seeking a $5M/year deal with term. Assuming we can nail down Ribeiro for $5M as well, that would leave only $15.4M to sign the remaining 10 players we'd need on the roster. And a good chunk of that would go towards retaining our own RFAs (Alzner, Johansson, Kundratek, Holtby, and Neuvirth). You better hope that Laich can pan out as a 2LW at even strengh (he's never had great ES numbers) and Orlov can become a legit 2LD, because there won't be money to find a better ones. And then the salary cap would likely be going down again in 2014-2015. So it would make those problems even worse.

More over, upgrading the 3C position from Laich to O'Reilly is not worth the assets it would cost. Laich is way above average for a 3rd line center, and playing in the middle really didn't hurt his even strength production last year (it's his PP numebrs that have declined recently). I don't think I could justify given up a "roster player and top prospect" to upgrade the 3C spot. If we're going to trade away quality assets, use them to fill a position of need rather than fortifying a strength.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
InjuredChoker

Reading through Colorado's ROR thread, ROR isn't happy about the role that Avs are planning to use him on. Maybe 3rd line checking C, Also they were close but the during the summer, when EJ signed, something happened and went downhill and has gotten ugly. ROR has problems with higher management there. Avs think last season was an anomaly, offensively.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
dillyboy93

I was thinking if when Laich came back he could be the guy who takes the 1LW role with Rberio & Ovie. Then we could go out at sign someone like Arnott or Moore for the 3C or even maybe trade for Brain Boyle?

Laich-Riberio-Ovie
Wolski/Mojo-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Arnott/Moore/Boyle-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb/Fehr

Old
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

ROR wants lots of money and isn't happy how they plan to use him?

Sounds like a Varly type situation.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:16 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
I was thinking if when Laich came back he could be the guy who takes the 1LW role with Rberio & Ovie. Then we could go out at sign someone like Arnott or Moore for the 3C or even maybe trade for Brain Boyle?

Laich-Riberio-Ovie
Wolski/Mojo-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Arnott/Moore/Boyle-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb/Fehr
No to Puckhog on top line.

I'd replace Wolski with Laich on Nickys line.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
txpd

how happy would he be in washington behind backstrom and ribeiro?

Old
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how happy would he be in washington behind backstrom and ribeiro?
Agreed. Ribeiro has shown that he can produce here and make his linemates better. No guarantee O'Reilly will do the same, so don't gamble assets on him. Just re-sign Ribeiro and move on to the other holes.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

As I said, O'Reilly was close to signing during the summer, meaning that the 3rd line role is not an issue for him (since he would have signed to be the 3rd line center behind Stastny and Duchene). The 5 million number is nonsense that was denied by his agent. O'Reilly's linemates for most of the year were Landeskog and Downie.

Acquiring O'Reilly frees Laich to be a top 6 wing. Which top 6 wing is available that is better than Laich?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
If you were serious, you would have made some reference to Young Turks.
That's only if Zach Bogosian part of the trade.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
As I said, O'Reilly was close to signing during the summer, meaning that the 3rd line role is not an issue for him (since he would have signed to be the 3rd line center behind Stastny and Duchene). The 5 million number is nonsense that was denied by his agent. O'Reilly's linemates for most of the year were Landeskog and Downie.
And as I said, he received more ice time than Duchene and Stastny last season. He was the #1 center in Colorado, not the #3. Downie wasn't acquired until almost the trade deadline. He spent almost all season with Landeskog, and had a one of Winnik, Hejduk, or Downie on his right wing. Once it became clear that Landeskog and O'Reilly were going to be productive, that line became Colorado's #1.

Quote:
Acquiring O'Reilly frees Laich to be a top 6 wing. Which top 6 wing is available that is better than Laich?
Iginla, Perry, Elias, Semin, McDonald, Horton, Clowe, Ryder, and Filppula are all UFA after this season.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:29 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
And as I said, he received more ice time than Duchene and Stastny last season. He was the #1 center in Colorado, not the #3. Downie wasn't acquired until almost the trade deadline. He spent almost all season with Landeskog, and had a one of Winnik, Hejduk, or Downie on his right wing. Once it became clear that Landeskog and O'Reilly were going to be productive, that line became Colorado's #1.

Iginla, Perry, Elias, Semin, McDonald, Horton, Clowe, Ryder, and Filppula are all UFA after this season.
I'd love for the Caps to pick up Clowe. SJ is struggling so maybe a shake-up trade for both sides could work.

Closed Thread