HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Adding some size to the lineup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
  #1
berto14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Adding some size to the lineup

James Mirtle did an interesting bit on his blog (found here: http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/20...t-and-age.html) about each team's height, weight and age ranking according to their opening night rosters. I knew the Flames were a smaller team than we've seen in years past but I didn't realize the situation is quite as bad as it is -- we're currently ranked 30th overall in terms of average weight and 23rd overall in average height.

I hate making trade proposals because the discussion rarely ends well, but who would you like management to target and what do you expect it will cost us to acquire? Is there a trade to be made for one of our surplus d-men?

On another note, the Flames are now 14th overall in terms of average age, coming in just 0.1 years above the league average. Not bad considering we were among the top 3 oldest teams just a couple years ago. So the next time someone tells you that the Flames are one of the oldest teams in the league, you can politely tell them to cram it.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
  #2
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,702
vCash: 1350
Well, the averages will increase when Bouma & The Anton are back in the lineup. Even with the introduction of Cervenka & demotion of Horak, the Flames average weight increased to 196.9 lbs.

Besides, under Hartley's system I'd rather have a bunch of speedy little guys who play with skill and finesse than a bunch of ogres who don't.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
  #3
berto14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Well, the averages will increase when Bouma & The Anton are back in the lineup. Even with the introduction of Cervenka & demotion of Horak, the Flames average weight increased to 196.9 lbs.
Thought Bouma was done for the year? And Babchuk will add some size but I'd like to see a bit more size up-front also, ideally someone who can also contribute offensively and create some offense off the forecheck against some of the west's bigger d-men.

Quote:
Besides, under Hartley's system I'd rather have a bunch of speedy little guys who play with skill and finesse than a bunch of ogres who don't.
I agree and I don't mind having a smaller team but I'd prefer not to be the smallest in the league.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
  #4
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 50
The average age was based on the opening day lineup. Horak getting sent down and the addition of and Cervenka will change things.

Feaster and Weisbrod value skill, high hockey IQ and speed over size. Flame fans are going to have to get used to the fact that the days of the Flames physically beating up their opponents is gone. For now at least, anyway.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
  #5
berto14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
The average age was based on the opening day lineup. Horak getting sent down and the addition of and Cervenka will change things.

Feaster and Weisbrod value skill, high hockey IQ and speed over size. Flame fans are going to have to get used to the fact that the days of the Flames physically beating up their opponents is gone. For now at least, anyway.
Again, I don't mind having a smaller, speedy, skilled team but I think ideally the balance is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I'm not saying we should go out and sign a bunch of 7-foot pylons in favour of smaller, more skilled players, just that I wouldn't mind adding some size up front to help out our smaller forwards.

Feaster actually addressed the issue himself earlier in the year, just wondering who you guys would like to see management target.
Quote:
The Flames have 13 forwards and eight defencemen currently under contract with the total salary being over $66 million and Feaster said that his team is still looking to add grit and size potentially through a trade. He also explained that he is not concerned about any future salary cap issues.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...training_camp/

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
  #6
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
I could care less about size I want heart, just because John Scott is a monster of a human being doesn't mean I wouldn't take Jones over him. Generally the players we would be looking at are the Asham type players who hurt the team more with bad penalties then they do with a big hit. The only way I would want to get bigger is moving Smith/Butler to get a bigger defensemen for the pk. Again I would rather have a team of 5'10 players that have skill and won't quit on a play then a player like Scott.

That said I would love to try and get Grossmann maybe Stempniak + Butler for Grossmann + Wellwood Idk but that is the kind of defensemen I want.

The other player I would like is Murray from SJ.


Last edited by TheHudlinator: 01-28-2013 at 03:23 PM.
TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:35 PM
  #7
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,919
vCash: 133
Meh, we have guys like Sieloff and Jank coming through the pipe.

I think we will be ok for size down the road.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
  #8
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,030
vCash: 50
Which is why I like the idea of trying to acquire Stewart and/or Latendresse.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
  #9
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,242
vCash: 50
The Kings are really shopping hard for a vet dman right now. Sutter did trade for the Anton as our GM, maybe there's a fit there with having Penner come our way.

I'm not advocating that deal, just saying it could be a possibility. Personally I want to see how this group does as a healthy unit before we start tweaking things.

I don't think Grossman is available short of a massive over payment. Philly's depth on D is not good and Grossman is one of their top guys. Sauer may be another option to consider, but personally I really like our D corps.

I think Penner could be had for very cheap.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
  #10
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Latendresse has size, but he's not a physical player. The team needs to add 1 or 2 players that are gritty yet can play in the top-9. Steve Ott, David Clarkson, Jason Chimera, Joel Ward, Stewart, etc. are the type of guys they need. However, these guys are likely not available or would require an overpayment to acquire.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
  #11
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The Kings are really shopping hard for a vet dman right now. Sutter did trade for the Anton as our GM, maybe there's a fit there with having Penner come our way.

I'm not advocating that deal, just saying it could be a possibility. Personally I want to see how this group does as a healthy unit before we start tweaking things.

I don't think Grossman is available short of a massive over payment. Philly's depth on D is not good and Grossman is one of their top guys. Sauer may be another option to consider, but personally I really like our D corps.

I think Penner could be had for very cheap.
I want nothing to do with Penner he is extremely lazy he is practically Bourque 2.0 he is great when he tries but the other 80% of the time he is as effective as Jackman.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
  #12
CoRD
@HawnzDynasty
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,517
vCash: 50
If Cammy continues to play like absolute **** I wouldn't mind trading him for a good sized top 6 C who can win FO's.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
  #13
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,919
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
If Cammy continues to play like absolute **** I wouldn't mind trading him for a good sized top 6 C who can win FO's.
Who would be available though..?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
  #14
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Who would be available though..?
McArthur is ufa is he not?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
  #15
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
McArthur is ufa is he not?
For Cammy pass.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
  #16
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I want nothing to do with Penner he is extremely lazy he is practically Bourque 2.0 he is great when he tries but the other 80% of the time he is as effective as Jackman.
Yeah he is known for being lazy, but acquiring a big, physical power forward won't come cheap (Stewart would cost a lot as he looks to have found his game again). Penner would be almost free, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Backlund and Sven.

Again, I'm just mentioning his name. I'm not a huge Penner fan, but if after 15-20 games this team is getting pushed around a lot it might be something to consider for the short term.

I wonder what SJ would want for Clowe, he would actually be the perfect fit.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
  #17
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Yeah he is known for being lazy, but acquiring a big, physical power forward won't come cheap (Stewart would cost a lot as he looks to have found his game again). Penner would be almost free, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Backlund and Sven.

Again, I'm just mentioning his name. I'm not a huge Penner fan, but if after 15-20 games this team is getting pushed around a lot it might be something to consider for the short term.

I wonder what SJ would want for Clowe, he would actually be the perfect fit.
He may be even cheaper as he is a UFA next season. I wonder if Stemps+ would do the deal.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
  #18
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,242
vCash: 50
Maybe, we can't afford to do draft picks. Ideally if that plus would be Babchuk then I'd do that deal all day. That would also drop us down a contract.

Sadly, I think Clowe would be fetching a 1st round plus prospect. We can't afford to do that for a potential rental.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
  #19
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
He may be even cheaper as he is a UFA next season. I wonder if Stemps+ would do the deal.
I would love to be able to move Stemps + Comeau + Butler + Nemisz for
Clowe + Murray but thats really just moving our spare parts.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
  #20
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Maybe, we can't afford to do draft picks. Ideally if that plus would be Babchuk then I'd do that deal all day. That would also drop us down a contract.

Sadly, I think Clowe would be fetching a 1st round plus prospect. We can't afford to do that for a potential rental.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. If only Bouma wasn't hurt.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
  #21
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Yeah he is known for being lazy, but acquiring a big, physical power forward won't come cheap (Stewart would cost a lot as he looks to have found his game again). Penner would be almost free, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Backlund and Sven.

Again, I'm just mentioning his name. I'm not a huge Penner fan, but if after 15-20 games this team is getting pushed around a lot it might be something to consider for the short term.

I wonder what SJ would want for Clowe, he would actually be the perfect fit.
Who do we trade for Penner? and then we have to drop another top 9 player, it just causes more problems and Penner only uses his big body when he wants to most of the time he just floats.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
  #22
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I would love to be able to move Stemps + Comeau + Butler + Nemisz for
Clowe + Murray but thats really just moving our spare parts.
Greatest. Trade. Ever.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
  #23
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 272
vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I would love to be able to move Stemps + Comeau + Butler + Nemisz for
Clowe + Murray but thats really just moving our spare parts.
That happens and Doug Wilson is found the next day dead in the dumpster behind HP Pavilion.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
  #24
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Greatest. Trade. Ever.
I agree, Sharks fan they would do a Stemps for Murray trade which I would do.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
  #25
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I agree, Sharks fan they would do a Stemps for Murray trade which I would do.
We need to get rid of Butler somehow. I wonder if we could make some type of trade with Minny to get Setoguchi.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.