HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJ (3) v. WSH (2), OT

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
If it becomes a habit pretty soon Kovy's going to get 0:00 TOI per game.

It's to the point with Tedenby now where they've gotta give up the ghost and bring a Sestito-type up, let him get his 5-10 minutes until Henrique comes back. I'm not a fan but he didn't do much to get benched tonight really, other than getting muscled off the puck a couple times which is inevitable when you're barely taller than a Gionta and not nearly as muscular. The irony is one of his best plays as a Devil came when he cleared the puck after getting out of the box serving the delay of game.

The Caps can take their shootout point and shove it up their ***, the dive by Crabb on the Greene penalty was a disgrace and that gave them their first 5-on-3. I don't know wtf Bernier did to give them the second 5-on-3, but they didn't even announce the penalty - I just assumed it was unsportsmanlike which it was listening to the radio postgame.
It was Pete that got the bench minor, Bernier was just the one who served it. Apparently he told the refs how much he didn't approve of that to many men penalty that happened just before. So maybe Pete will run suicides with the rest of the team tomorrow.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:53 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwar View Post
They seem to be handing out unsportsmanlike penalties like candy. Did the league send out a memo to refs, or are the refs trying to set the tone for the season?
It's SOP (standard operating procedure) after a long lockout, jack up the penalty calls, which ups the offense and makes the casual fan happy. It was ridiculous tonight, the first half of the game we were getting every little call and then some, then the second half of the game the Caps were getting every little call and then some.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
The Caps can take their shootout point and shove it up their ***, the dive by Crabb on the Greene penalty was a disgrace and that gave them their first 5-on-3. I don't know wtf Bernier did to give them the second 5-on-3, but they didn't even announce the penalty - I just assumed it was unsportsmanlike which it was listening to the radio postgame.
Bernier didn't do anything; he was serving the unsportsmanlike call. DeBoer got pissed at the officiating which and got called for abuse of officials.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:56 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
It was Pete that got the bench minor, Bernier was just the one who served it. Apparently he told the refs how much he didn't approve of that to many men penalty that happened just before. So maybe Pete will run suicides with the rest of the team tomorrow.
Well it was hard to keep track, especially with the fact they didn't even announce the penalty. I don't really blame Pete but most of the penalties seemed legit enough other than the one on Greene, though I didn't see the one on Zidlicky he doesn't get much benefit of the doubt now that he's become Captain Hook. Zajac or whoever it was that got hit with the puck on the second delay of game as he was getting off was ridiculously obvious.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Devils Insiders

Want some instant analysis? Mark Krulish of Devils Insiders has you covered. He'll take you through the course of the game and hand out grades.

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/01/25...s-vs-capitals/

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Rella17

dunno why we didnt bring back Sykora, no need for Cam or Barch in the lineup ever

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Spiral21x

I'm still not really sold on all the love for Josefson. Yea he skates pretty well and is finally starting to use his body more, but he has shown little offensive instinct or creativity, and I don't remember him scoring a single nice looking goal in the nhl. That pass he made today was an accident. He also doesn't seem to have the kind of grit that I would want from my 3rd line center. He's just a safe responsible 3rd line guy who can play the pk and has good legs. He's better without the puck than with it. Maybe with a few more years but for now he has no place on the PP.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:59 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
dunno why we didnt bring back Sykora, no need for Cam or Barch in the lineup ever
Did Barch even play? I didn't even notice I think he might have gotten like two shifts in the first period then nothing. They ran about two and a half lines most of the game and THIS is why they need to trade from their defense to get forward help before it's too late.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral21x View Post
I'm still not really sold on all the love for Josefson. Yea he skates pretty well and is finally starting to use his body more, but he has shown little offensive instinct or creativity, and I don't remember him scoring a single nice looking goal in the nhl. That pass he made today was an accident. He also doesn't seem to have the kind of grit that I would want from my 3rd line center. He's just a safe responsible 3rd line guy who can play the pk and has good legs. He's better without the puck than with it. Maybe with a few more years but for now he has no place on the PP.
You clearly didn't watch tonight's game. Josefson was the best player on the ice other than Marty. Yes, he does everything but score, but he sure as shooting created the first goal and was all over the place the rest of the game.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Devilsfanatic0421
"You're next"

Quote:
Did Barch even play? I didn't even notice I think he might have gotten like two shifts in the first period then nothing. They ran about two and a half lines most of the game and THIS is why they need to trade from their defense to get forward help before it's too late.
Barch played and looked more competent than Cam.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
Seemed like Pete was mixing and matching the lines a lot tonight, but ya Barch barely played, same with Tedy and Matteau, though I think a big part of that was all the PPs and PKs that ate into their ice time. No way those guys were getting minutes during the 3rd when it was just one big PK.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
megajake

Devils are dumb. I bought the Living Social deal and they gave me 4 tickets to section 231. Apparently 500 people were switched as well, since they oversold. They promised a great reward for that, I swear if I don't get Devils tickets, I'll be pretty pissed.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Spiral21x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
Couldn't agree more. We don't really need Barch or Cam, let alone both. Sykora probably would've signed for any amount of money and at least he can shoot and can log more than 4 minutes without being a liability.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
MadDog172430
The Best of All Time

Unbelievable outcome. Some of those calls were terrible, but that 5 on 3 killed us. Definitely part discipline, part crappy officiating.

Oh and KOVY!

Old
01-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

We need more offense though. We're not gonna win too many games without more. Marty playing the best out of the gate that he's played in I don't know how many years, and pretty good defensively. Not sure how far we get without some more scoring.

Marty has been the biggest surprise. First goal he had no chance on, and the second goal he had a lot of bodies in front of him, and never saw it.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Seemed like Pete was mixing and matching the lines a lot tonight, but ya Barch barely played, same with Tedy and Matteau, though I think a big part of that was all the PPs and PKs that ate into their ice time. No way those guys were getting minutes during the 3rd when it was just one big PK.
Even Bernier and Carter got less than ten minutes. FIVE forwards got single-digit minutes, in an OT game. And Matteau playing less than six minutes doesn't suggest he's sticking around past his five-game cutoff point, nor should he if he's going to get that icetime.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We need more offense though. We're not gonna win too many games without more. Marty playing the best out of the gate that he's played in I don't know how many years, and pretty good defensively. Not sure how far we get without some more scoring.

Marty has been the biggest surprise. First goal he had no chance on, and the second goal he had a lot of bodies in front of him, and never saw it.
Marty has been so awesome!
And I do expect Lou to do something with the offense. I would be really shocked if he didn't.

Kovy post game

Old
01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Yeah I'm stunned too how Marty's gotten out of his rocking chair and gotten right back to his late April-June form, maybe he really was training more than he let on

Old
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post

It will come. Everyone wanted to see more scoring depth and we got that tonight with Lil Gio and Patty scoring goals tonight. JJ is looking better and better and should hopefully start potting those chances soon. Reinforcements are coming in the form of Henrique and hopefully a smart trade by Lou.

Right now though, until the trade goes down and Henrique is back, defense and Marty/Moose plus timely goals are just going to be the way we operate. There is no other way around it. Getting the PP going is really big, we need to cash in on those opportunities, and tonight it did look better then the first two games.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Zippy316

Did Tallinder kill any penalties?

I haven't hopped on the "Let Larsson Play" Train yet, but if Tallinder's not going to be killing penalties or do anything else besides even strength time, I'd rather see Larsson play.

Old
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Yup. It was that design but just light grey and had MB30 on the upper right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wh9MDodLr_s

Looks like a full zip to me.

Old
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

I'm still bummed with Tedenby, and have no confidence with him. Why do they insist on putting him on the first line, and benching him for the second half of the game? He didn't look good with Kovy, and Trav. He looked better with Patty. A lot of giveaways in the 1st period.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
MachoDiablo

Thought a buddy of mine would join in coming to Newark tonight, but he was forced to back out last minute...I went, anyway, I needed to get back to a game night. Glad I did.

Also glad to see I wasn't just being biased due to being there live, and that the penalties in the 3rd really were that ridiculous. Some of them were certainly warranted, but they were calling every-damn-thing. Good games aren't decided by whistles, unacceptable to call so many borderline or even non-existent infractions.

Still, felt great to be back in Newark for something other than grad school, and to get a chance to finally partake in Dinosaur BBQ. Trollvalchuk ending was the main event, 3-0, love it.

And yeah, from where I was sitting Josefson looked like one of our MVP's tonight just in terms of his skating and decision making. Not finishing yet, but there's a lot to love about his game.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
MadDog172430
The Best of All Time

By the way, did Ovechkin even play?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
Even Bernier and Carter got less than ten minutes. FIVE forwards got single-digit minutes, in an OT game. And Matteau playing less than six minutes doesn't suggest he's sticking around past his five-game cutoff point, nor should he if he's going to get that icetime.
Then again look how the game played out. They all lost minutes due to us playing on the PK for almost the entire 3rd, and us being on the PP a lot during the 2nd. I really don't think tonight is a good indicator on how ice time will be allocated out and that includes Matteau. The only player that it seemed like was purposely benched was Tedy in the first.

Closed Thread