HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Ducks toughness thread (with updates)

Old
03-23-2013, 02:06 AM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Gabby himself was "wondering" aloud why people get away with trying to injure our players with no repercussions. This was before tonight's loss. Maybe he needs to look in the mirror. There needs to be a "designated" player, just to deal with stupid circumstances against our players. Why should Getz or Palm need to fight when they are needed to score. Teams will start to goad them, just to get them off the ice. That wouldn't happen, if they knew their skill players would receive the same in return. Try to fight Getz...kopitar gets beaten. Go after Selanne, Datsyuk gets knocked the **** out. It would stop some of the bs our players have had to deal with.
Finally someone makes a sensible post. This is exactly what I'm trying to point out. This team just lets teams get away with murder to our stars. They just have their goons take Getzlaf off the ice for 5 mins. What should happen is we should have an enforcer who either fights their goons, or takes a couple cheap shots if we're losing and need to send a message because the other team is attacking our stars. Very disappointed in the lack of response in the physical department

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Finally someone makes a sensible post. This is exactly what I'm trying to point out. This team just lets teams get away with murder to our stars. They just have their goons take Getzlaf off the ice for 5 mins. What should happen is we should have an enforcer who either fights their goons, or takes a couple cheap shots if we're losing and need to send a message because the other team is attacking our stars. Very disappointed in the lack of response in the physical department
Ericsson now has 1 major for the year. And Getzlaf went looking for and started the fight. If you're going to be hysterical at least get it right and talk about the selanne incident sparking Palmieri to jump in.

Then, of course, you'd have to explain how PL3 and company would manage to be on the ice with Selanne in the waning seconds of a period where the team was trailing, but at least you'd be making some sense.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Getz tried to rally the troops by fighting. Maybe a bad decision but that's all it was. But having a goon around would have had nothing to do with Getzlaf's action this night.

Bobby got hit clean and hard and decided to start some **** with a guy he shouldn't have. Totally ****ing stupid move on Bobby's part. That's the kind of undisciplined play that ran rampant last year. Again, having a goon in the lineup has no bearing on Bobby acting like a stupid ****. Maybe he should put the same effort into playing hard every game. Sheesh.

I can't believe the hysteria that's going on here.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Ericsson now has 1 major for the year. And Getzlaf went looking for and started the fight. If you're going to be hysterical at least get it right and talk about the selanne incident sparking Palmieri to jump in.

Then, of course, you'd have to explain how PL3 and company would manage to be on the ice with Selanne in the waning seconds of a period where the team was trailing, but at least you'd be making some sense.
Since you brought it up...Probert protected Yzerman On the 1st line. Kocer? McCarty? They had their place protecting "skill" players. Just because they aren't ON the ice during a certain shift, doesn't mean their presence isn't felt.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Since you brought it up...Probert protected Yzerman On the 1st line. Kocer? McCarty? They had their place protecting "skill" players. Just because they aren't ON the ice during a certain shift, doesn't mean their presence isn't felt.
Probert wasn't just a goon. He had a ton of skill, the Ducks have nothing like him. They have nobody who can compare to McCarthy or McSorley either. Kocur was a goon, and fought other goons. I'm well aware how tough players who can play can impact a game. No idea how they would have helped keep pucks out of the net tonight or get everyone to not shoot right at Howard though, which is why the Ducks lost. They certainly didn't get out-gooned. They started the fights themselves. Didn't spark a damned thing.

None of this is relevant to Angelducks' post. Detroit has zero goons. None of those guys would have made an ounce of difference tonight.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:59 AM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Probert wasn't just a goon. He had a ton of skill, the Ducks have nothing like him. They have nobody who can compare to McCarthy or McSorley either. Kocur was a goon, and fought other goons. I'm well aware how tough players who can play can impact a game. No idea how they would have helped keep pucks out of the net tonight or get everyone to not shoot right at Howard though, which is why the Ducks lost. They certainly didn't get out-gooned. They started the fights themselves. Didn't spark a damned thing.

None of this is relevant to Angelducks' post. Detroit has zero goons. None of those guys would have made an ounce of difference tonight.
Probert had a "ton of skill" when he played with skill, just like McSorley. And that's when they did their job best. Probert on his own doesnt score like he did without playmakers helping him. Nor do McSorley or Downie or Neil. But having them screen goalies...AND deal...or even meet out punishment as need be, is/was their most influential contribution. Did Stevie Y have to drop his gloves? Did Gretzky? Why should our "skill" have to be the "muscle", when we have players in our stable paid, and willing to do the dirty work ?

Old
03-23-2013, 03:24 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Probert had a "ton of skill" when he played with skill, just like McSorley. And that's when they did their job best. Probert on his own doesnt score like he did without playmakers helping him. Nor do McSorley or Downie or Neil. But having them screen goalies...AND deal...or even meet out punishment as need be, is/was their most influential contribution. Did Stevie Y have to drop his gloves? Did Gretzky? Why should our "skill" have to be the "muscle", when we have players in our stable paid, and willing to do the dirty work ?
Because you could have our goons out there with Gretzky and Lemieux both and they wouldn't put up 29 goals - Probert doesn't belong anywhere near a discussion of the other players you're bringing up. And the reason would be that those guys wouldn't have made a bit of difference tonight. Detroit wasn't doing much cheap shotting or looking for fights. Getzlaf started his own fight. Ryan got smoked on a clean hit then compounded the error by starting a fight by someone who can both actually stand up on his skates AND fight, whereas Ryan can generally do neither. Kudos to Palmieri for jumping the guy who hit Selanne, but that wasn't much of a cheap shot, he's lucky the refs were in incompetent mode or he would have put the team at a massive disadvantage, and putting a goon on the ice with Selanne is just a stupid idea. If you can get Steve Downie and somehow make him healthy let me know - he's not a goon.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Because you could have our goons out there with Gretzky and Lemieux both and they wouldn't put up 29 goals - Probert doesn't belong anywhere near a discussion of the other players you're bringing up. And the reason would be that those guys wouldn't have made a bit of difference tonight. Detroit wasn't doing much cheap shotting or looking for fights. Getzlaf started his own fight. Ryan got smoked on a clean hit then compounded the error by starting a fight by someone who can both actually stand up on his skates AND fight, whereas Ryan can generally do neither. Kudos to Palmieri for jumping the guy who hit Selanne, but that wasn't much of a cheap shot, he's lucky the refs were in incompetent mode or he would have put the team at a massive disadvantage, and putting a goon on the ice with Selanne is just a stupid idea. If you can get Steve Downie and somehow make him healthy let me know - he's not a goon.

Getz accepts the challenge only because he feels he has to. If we had anyone dressed who's job it is to handle that job, he might skate away. From what I saw ericcson dropped his gloves first...and Getz figured wtf, and followed suit. If he knew, for a fact, that someone would take care of that bs, he might skate away. Who knows...but why have him be in that position to begin with? Getz skates away...and Rosehill, or LP3 skates over....think ericcson feels as tough? I don't think so.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:46 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
LOL, I knew this thread would be on top after a loss. 13 game home winning streak? This thread was no where in sight. 1 loss to Detroit and it's back. Some people are so predictable.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I can, as it's the same people every time we lose a game

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Getz accepts the challenge only because he feels he has to. If we had anyone dressed who's job it is to handle that job, he might skate away. From what I saw ericcson dropped his gloves first...and Getz figured wtf, and followed suit. If he knew, for a fact, that someone would take care of that bs, he might skate away. Who knows...but why have him be in that position to begin with? Getz skates away...and Rosehill, or LP3 skates over....think ericcson feels as tough? I don't think so.
Exactly. Then - they don't drop their gloves anyway. And there's no fight. Getzlaf picked a fight to spark the team, not because the big bad Redwing needed a beat down because he was mistreating the Ducks. Getzlaf went looking for that, and he was clearly the one who started chirping and got it going regardless of who's gloves hit the ice first. It was accepted because it was a great trade off to get him off the ice, not because Ericcson was being a bully. As I've been saying, a goon made zero difference for us tonight.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Getz tried to rally the troops by fighting. Maybe a bad decision but that's all it was. But having a goon around would have had nothing to do with Getzlaf's action this night.

Bobby got hit clean and hard and decided to start some **** with a guy he shouldn't have. Totally ****ing stupid move on Bobby's part. That's the kind of undisciplined play that ran rampant last year. Again, having a goon in the lineup has no bearing on Bobby acting like a stupid ****. Maybe he should put the same effort into playing hard every game. Sheesh.

Agreed. Getzlaf's fight was purely to try to change the momentum of the game. There was no bad blood there whatsoever. And Ryan was pissed that Smith made him look like a little ***** when he went to level him.

The only one that was done as retaliation was Palmieri for Selanne. And it's not like we'd ever have a goon on the ice with Selanne to remedy things in that situation anyway.

This is coming from someone who loves physical hockey. I don't think we have enough size up front but I sure as hell don't think dressing Rosehill, PL3 and Staubitz all in the same night is going to help us.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
snowave

Some of you here should switch to watching figure skating instead of hockey, geez.

snowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I love this thread!

Good god people Getzy, Palmieri and Bobby dropping their gloves was do them being frustrated at themselves for losing a game they should have one. They weren't being pushed around, they were whining. It happens. You can't be great every single game. Everyone has a letdown here and there. What matters is how you respond.

And to whoever suggests Rosehill and Leblond get recalled. HA! Those guys have no business playing in the NHL let alone on a division-leading team. Relax. Last night was about a lack of focus, not "toughness." All that would have accomplished would have been more penalties against us.

You would think winning 22 out of 30 games would convince people that the way this team plays already is the right way. It's like you're waiting for a game like last night so you can make such a ridiculous rant. Unreal.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:39 PM
AngelDuck

Unbelievable. BB doesn't dress his enforcer even though his team clearly needs energy

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:38 AM
CrazyDuck4u

What ive noticed in the past 3 losses is that this team completely stopped hitting!! Like wtf!!! Hit something,... They have the size but most of the forwards aren't finishing their checks... its to easy for opposing defensmen to just skate it out the zone. And Its seems like teams have a working strategy or gameplan against ducks all of a sudden. I gotta believe Detroit opened the floodgates on this..Other teams will take notice on how detroit was able to shut them down in the first game and mimic that.. San Jose did that..

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
What ive noticed in the past 3 losses is that this team completely stopped hitting!! Like wtf!!! Hit something,... They have the size but most of the forwards aren't finishing their checks... its to easy for opposing defensmen to just skate it out the zone. And Its seems like teams have a working strategy or gameplan against ducks all of a sudden. I gotta believe Detroit opened the floodgates on this..Other teams will take notice on how detroit was able to shut them down in the first game and mimic that.. San Jose did that..
We out hit the opponent in all three games.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:43 AM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
We out hit the opponent in all three games.
******* those ***** a** hits.. Im talking about shift after shift.. Pounding away and wearing your opponents out..Look what LA does.. We have size too.. but we dont have the forwards willing to hit like that.. The only person I know is Staubitz. He is a liability out there.. Belesky too.. Ive been watching this game far to long.. Its a the quality and timing of the hits.. Not the qauntity.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:08 AM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
******* those ***** a** hits.. Im talking about shift after shift.. Pounding away and wearing your opponents out..Look what LA does.. We have size too.. but we dont have the forwards willing to hit like that.. The only person I know is Staubitz. He is a liability out there.. Belesky too.. Ive been watching this game far to long.. Its a the quality and timing of the hits.. Not the qauntity.
Maybe its because any time they try to do anything they tend to get a penalty

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
CrazyDuck4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
Nah its not that.. Im not saying run guys over every shift... but make the opposing defensemen keep their heads up at least.. We dont hit for sh***

Old
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
You mean all of a sudden, the last three games, they started feeling this way?

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Dirk316

As soon as BB gutted the toughness out of the 4th line the energy left the building.
Using the hit stat does tell the story there is a difference with weak half assed back turned hits and hard ppunishing hits. The latter does not happen. Beleskey Steckel Staubitz works and the proof wasIin the record

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I think that's a pretty colored interpretation. What I saw last night was a team trying to force passes, fumbling the puck, and just not playing with confidence. That isn't an energy issue.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
As soon as BB gutted the toughness out of the 4th line the energy left the building.
Using the hit stat does tell the story there is a difference with weak half assed back turned hits and hard ppunishing hits. The latter does not happen. Beleskey Steckel Staubitz works and the proof wasIin the record
Staubitz got benched for the last half of the game for a reason. He doesn't do anything effectively. Including being "tough." I would love it if he was but he's as soft as anybody on this team not to mention he's slow and has hands of stone. We got beat these last three game because we were turning the puck over in front of our net, not because we weren't hitting enough.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Dirk316

Staubitz got benched because we have a coach who doesn't want toughness

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Staubitz got benched because we have a coach who doesn't want toughness
Holy crap you're either awesome at trolling us for the past years or you truly are totally out of touch.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote