HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

2013 Ducks toughness thread (with updates)

Old
03-29-2013, 10:37 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
This team is just so much better with Staubitz setting a physical tone. He had a nice check that got the boys going
Staubitz has been good his last 3 games, since the commentators called him Rob.

Him having a regular position on the team was hurt early on when he was playing really stupid.

Taking major spearing penalty and continuously putting the team on the PK

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
Staubitz has been good his last 3 games, since the commentators called him Rob.

Him having a regular position on the team was hurt early on when he was playing really stupid.

Taking major spearing penalty and continuously putting the team on the PK
What? He was terrible the game before this one. He had 2 shifts in a row where he kept making bad passes back into the zone that resulted in him being benched. He was solid tonight though. I agree that he should be in over Dvorak, but I like Beleskey over him when he's healthy.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Last night was a perfect example of what our fourth line should do every single game. They back checked effectively, broke out of the zone well, fore checked well and created some offense. Their ice-time was reflective of their effectiveness though only one penalty being called contributed to that.

The point is the fourth on a good team needn't be full of grinders and goons. When you put talented players in that spot and allow them a regular shift that make things happen. And they showed plenty of toughness with Palmieri taking the puck right to the net and Belesky coming back after getting speared in the eye. Excellent work.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
snowave

I generally agree on those points, but we got our ***** handed to us, physically last night. While I respect the restraint to a degree, I would still like to see at least SOMEBODY in our lineup daily on the 4th line that could answer the call if need be.

snowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
I generally agree on those points, but we got our ***** handed to us, physically last night. While I respect the restraint to a degree, I would still like to see at least SOMEBODY in our lineup daily on the 4th line that could answer the call if need be.
Beleskey leads the team in fights

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
Beleskey leads the team in fights
That should be seen as a problem. Beleskey is not an enforcer. He is a grinder. He should not have to do the bulk of the enforcing

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Last night was a perfect example of what our fourth line should do every single game. They back checked effectively, broke out of the zone well, fore checked well and created some offense. Their ice-time was reflective of their effectiveness though only one penalty being called contributed to that.

The point is the fourth on a good team needn't be full of grinders and goons. When you put talented players in that spot and allow them a regular shift that make things happen. And they showed plenty of toughness with Palmieri taking the puck right to the net and Belesky coming back after getting speared in the eye. Excellent work.
Comedy
First of all Dallas was taking runs at our players and its gonna get worse.
They are too small and even taking away fighting lines 2-4 are gonna get grinded down physically during the playoffs.
Lol at your examples of toughness as well

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Comedy
First of all Dallas was taking runs at our players and its gonna get worse.
They are too small and even taking away fighting lines 2-4 are gonna get grinded down physically during the playoffs.
Lol at your examples of toughness as well
Dirk, if we win the Cup you are still going to complain we are too soft aren't you? This team continues to win, build chemistry, build confidence and believe in themselves. We don't need to change anything for the rest of the year. Whoever BB throws out there is OK by me.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Dirk, if we win the Cup you are still going to complain we are too soft aren't you? This team continues to win, build chemistry, build confidence and believe in themselves. We don't need to change anything for the rest of the year. Whoever BB throws out there is OK by me.
What I dont want happening is one of our stars getting injured before BB decides to put in an enforcer or because of lack of size and grit we get down couple games before decided to put in toughness and at that point its usually too late. Look its possible to win a cup with a soft lineup but it's unlikely

Old
04-04-2013, 09:50 PM
DaDucks

vCash: 50
I think he is concerned as am I about protecting our star players... You would think this franchise has learned it's lesson, but you can also argue that this is a different league toughness wise than back in kariya's era(obvious)

Still the physical contact is about to go through the roof in the next few weeks and I would hate to see an injury to anyone really, but one of RPG would be just devastating... Dallas smacking us around in a blow out game is flat out embarrassing... Shame on BB... If Getzy was hurt, all over you guys would be screaming for blood..

Lol at me for wearing a Grimson jersey during that soft game last night... I'm surprised it wasn't confiscated at the front door LOL

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Nobody we play is frightened of anybody we put out there. I'm fine with Staubitz playing once in a while. But you guys are living in the past if you think we are going to scare anybody from taking a run at any of our guys. It may or may not happen. But nobody will be deterred from it by anybody we ice. I'm fine with letting BB make the call who to dress.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Nobody we play is frightened of anybody we put out there. I'm fine with Staubitz playing once in a while. But you guys are living in the past if you think we are going to scare anybody from taking a run at any of our guys. It may or may not happen. But nobody will be deterred from it by anybody we ice. I'm fine with letting BB make the call who to dress.
First of all you are totally ignoring the fact that we need those hits by our guys to wear out other teams. Second if a few tough players will even deter 5% of cheap shots it's a success. Third I don't understand how you could ok without at least 1 player who could stick up for a cheap shot. Unless you want Getlaf or souray getting a broken wrist having to fight their own battles. Its a dangerous game BB is playing

Old
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
I agree with u...

But we can at least use the resources we have now to send a message to the other team collectively... Bruce has all of the guys playing a smart conservative "let them make take the minor for roughing" mentality... Staubitz proved to me with that crazy spear that he would do something else crazy if warranted.. I'm not looking for brawls (it would be nice) but SOME type of response physically would help. We have a few players that can make a difference, but they are on a leash. Word will spread with our competition: "hey go ahead and take liberties with the ducks, they don't respond anymore"

If we blow out Dallas again tomorrow, they will most likely do something.(Dallas).. U saw hints of it late in the game last night

Last edited by DaDucks: 04-04-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

You guys are trying to change the identity of the team back to 07. Now isn't the time to do it. For better or worse we got what we got and we need to ride that horse to the finish. If we don't win the Cup go ahead and raise hell...this summer.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
DaDucks

The ducks started smashing teams following the Kariya injury... Thus equaling a decade of a ducks team the "responds" to other teams taking liberties... We were tough as hell in the 90's also, mainly because we couldn't compete though... I was a bit shocked when I joined these boards back in 2010 not to see more "dirk" like posters in here.

But ya, revert back to 2007? More like revert back to 90 percent of all of our seasons... Not asking for much here.. I'd settle for a couple face washes at this point

Old
04-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
The ducks started smashing teams following the Kariya injury... Thus equaling a decade of a ducks team the "responds" to other teams taking liberties... We were tough as hell in the 90's also, mainly because we couldn't compete though... I was a bit shocked when I joined these boards back in 2010 not to see more "dirk" like posters in here.

But ya, revert back to 2007? More like revert back to 90 percent of all of our seasons... Not asking for much here.. I'd settle for a couple face washes at this point
That's exactly the kind of **** we don't need. It gets us on the PK and scares nobody. If you want to deter people you go nuclear, and that's a whole different game that this team isn't built to do. It's like asking a basketball team to get taller during the year. Not gonna happen.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of **** we don't need. It gets us on the PK and scares nobody. If you want to deter people you go nuclear, and that's a whole different game that this team isn't built to do. It's like asking a basketball team to get taller during the year. Not gonna happen.
Lol I was being ironical/ facetious

Old
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
We have the pieces to form a tough lineup Maroon Beleskey Staubitz PL3 if needed

Unrelated looks like Rosehill had a hell of a debut for Philly

Old
04-05-2013, 12:50 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
We have the pieces to form a tough lineup Maroon Beleskey Staubitz PL3 if needed

Unrelated looks like Rosehill had a hell of a debut for Philly
Maroon should learn how to play center in the offseason. A Staubitz-Maroon-Beleskey 4th line would be AWESOME

Old
04-05-2013, 02:23 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Maroon should learn how to play center in the offseason. A Staubitz-Maroon-Beleskey 4th line would be AWESOME
lol. too many centers.

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:30 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
lol. too many centers.
Not if Koivu retires. Next year our C situation could be:

Getzlaf
Holland/trade/FA
Bonino
Maroon

AHL:
Rakell
Sarault
Wagner
Maybe Karlsson if he comes over from SEL
Cramarossa

It depends on if Koivu retires and if Rakell is ready or not.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:24 AM
5minsforfighting

Despite the win against Dallas, I dont remember Ducks playing so non-physical type of hockey. Its just so boring to watch and I feel sad to watch Dallas throwing big hits on our players and we cant return at least one good hit who lets the crowd on their feet. In 1st period you could hear crickets chirping...

Also I dont understand why Winnik doesnt play his body more. He is one of the few who has size to do it, but it seems even Cogs plays more physical...

5minsforfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:39 AM
AngelDuck

The whole team is pretty soft. Other than Beleskey...there aren't any real tough players being dressed regularly. It's a shame that we're seeing other teams just take runs at our stars. Souray and Getzlaf and Ryan should not have to fight for themselves

Old
04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Update: Dirk thinks the team is soft

More coming soon...

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Pepper

Quote:
We won the cup by being the meanest mofos of the league since Broad Street Bullies of the 1970's.

I'm happy if we win the cup but I'm afraid our lack of toughness might be one of the reasons if we don't.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote