HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Ducks toughness thread (with updates)

Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I would assume the other side believes that toughening up would lead to more winning.

It's almost like arguing religion. I think the two sides have some core beliefs that there's two mutually exclusive team set-ups, and that one leads to wins while the other leads to losses.
The problem is that there really isn't evidence to support this. The pro-tough side will point to the 2007 team, but they will completely gloss over the fact that was a ridiculously skilled team. What made that team so great was that they could beat you in so many different ways... but no matter how physical they were, that really wasn't how they won games. It was just something they had in addition to everything else. Yes, they could feed off the physical play, but as we saw, they also took it too far a number of times and just lost their composure.

If given the choice, I would absolutely like to see this team get a little tougher, but not at the expense of skill. To be frank, I just don't think Anaheim can make that trade right now. One way or the other, the Ducks would have to sacrifice, and I'd rather go the depth scoring route. We've spent the last couple of seasons with a Ducks team that was missing exactly that, and it didn't go so well.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
how'd you find this out? it should be noted though that we've only played 5 games.. where do we rank in hits per game

edit: just by pro-rating our hits. we'd be at 164 had we played 7 games. now I dont know where that ranks but i'd assume thats around the middle tier? (10-20)? or are we still bottom 1/3 lol
doesn't the league only count hits that separate pucks from the targeted player? hits after the puck is moved "which alot of hits are" are not counted.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The problem is that there really isn't evidence to support this. The pro-tough side will point to the 2007 team, but they will completely gloss over the fact that was a ridiculously skilled team. What made that team so great was that they could beat you in so many different ways... but no matter how physical they were, that really wasn't how they won games. It was just something they had in addition to everything else. Yes, they could feed off the physical play, but as we saw, they also took it too far a number of times and just lost their composure.

If given the choice, I would absolutely like to see this team get a little tougher, but not at the expense of skill. To be frank, I just don't think Anaheim can make that trade right now. One way or the other, the Ducks would have to sacrifice, and I'd rather go the depth scoring route. We've spent the last couple of seasons with a Ducks team that was missing exactly that, and it didn't go so well.
that team was also the most penalized in the league. without neids, pronger and the shut down guys, we never would have come out of that many pk's with the wins we needed.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
I added 1 enforcer to the lineup some of you are acting like I posted an entire lineup of them

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
what is he supposed to do exactly. hes proven himself in the AHL. but he never gets to try out for the ducks in a game..
Prove himself in the NHL. Like I said, he should get a call up in case of injuries, but you can't just trade a player away and call up Maroon to be a regular for the whole season only based on his AHL success.

I don't see Maroon as an ideal grinder or forechecker, nor is he anything special defensively. If he was all of those, he'd be a regular NHL'er long ago. Maroon is a scorer who can hit, but seriously how much is he going to score on the 4th line? Especiall if his linemates are Rakell and Staubitz...

Actually, I hope Bonino is traded if he can't hack it on the 2nd line. He may be sound defensively, but he's slow, soft and he's pretty awful in the faceoff circle. I don't see him as a grinder, although I thought he played with much more intensity last season.

Last edited by Elvs: 02-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Prove himself in the NHL. Like I said, he should get a call up in case of injuries, but you can't just trade a player away and call up Maroon to be a regular for the whole season only based on his AHL success.

I don't see Maroon as an ideal grinder or forechecker, nor is he anything special defensively. If he was all of those, he'd be a regular NHL'er long ago. Maroon is a scorer who can hit, but seriously how much is he going to score on the 4th line? Especiall if his linemates are Rakell and Staubitz...
He can play on other lines most coaches shuffle in game also any of rpg can get double shifted as needed like mentioned he has more than proven himself at the ahl and is always the last cut
He has never been given a chance he could be what dsp was supposed to

Old
02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
He can play on other lines most coaches shuffle in game also any of rpg can get double shifted as needed like mentioned he has more than proven himself at the ahl and is always the last cut
He has never been given a chance he could be what dsp was supposed to

I agree with you here, Maroon deserves a chance to get more than 2 games. He is already a 4th liner at the NHL level, and although I do like the pop that the kids could bring on the 4th unit, a team that wants to succeed in a playoff atmosphere needs a physical 4th line.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Maroon has defenitely earned a chance to get more than 2 games, I just think he should have a crack at the top six if he plays. Imo, he does his best work down low and around the crease. If he's playing with 4th line talent, with the likes of Bonino/Rakell/Staubitz/DSP/Beleskey... I don't see him spending a lot of time the attacking zone, nor do I think those combinations would generate a lot of speed to be very successfull at dump-ins, either. Imo, if called up, he should get a look with Getzlaf and Perry. If not, I hope Murray brings in better forechecking-players to surround him with on the 4th line.

Just on top of my head... Jack Skille, Pat Dwyer, Derek MacKenzie, Colton Gillies, Darroll Powe, Jamal Mayers... I wish we had those kind of 4th liners (just naming some cheap and realistic options).

Last edited by Elvs: 02-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Paul4587

For those of you who think toughness doesn't mean anything - think about being an opposition defenseman trying to move the puck up ice. Would you be more intimidated moving the puck up ice/grinding in the corners against Cogliano, Etem or DSP or Moen/Prust/Clutterbuck etc? A tough physical team wears down the opposition defense and forces plenty of errors. DSP has the potential but he needs to work on his balance and agility - too many times I see him going full bore and the defenseman is able to easily step around him or move the puck before he gets anywhere near him.

That being said, Staubitz isn't going to strike fear into anybody because he's slow as molasses and rarely has enough time to line anybody up. I think a decent heavyweight does have a role still (I wish we had somebody to stick up for Fowler vs Aliu last season or when Sutton was running all of our guys - Parros sure as hell wasn't doing anything) but there are so few heavyweights out there that can actually skate a regular shift.

As much as I thought Mike Brown had no hockey talent and is too small for his role - he is the type of guy who we could really use on our 4th line about now.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Almost 40 hits tonight dirk

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Jspiral

I don't care about toughness. It's tenacity I want. It's tenacity we got. Go Ducks!

Jspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

DSP is fumbling puck too much. Maroon definitely deserves to be here more than DSP does.

I'd like some more toughness in lineup but that doesn't necessarily mean an enforcer or Staubitz. I want Morrow from Dallas. I don't care how he's struggling this year. Obviously depends on price.

Morrow-Getz-Perry
Palmieri-Ryan-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-Etem/Maroon/Staubitz

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Papaspud
upsetting the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspiral View Post
I don't care about toughness. It's tenacity I want. It's tenacity we got. Go Ducks!
Doughy smacks Teemu.
Stoll does some sort of wrestling, head smash into the dasher boards with Fowler's head....

all with impunity, because there's no one out there to keep it civil.

Oh well.
Why should Perry resign here, if he knows there's no one on the ice to protect him? Just asking

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Paul4587

I don't know why nothing was done to Stoll after his cheap shot on Fowler. Fowler looked lost going off - it didn't look good.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:11 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

next game vs the kings i want to see Staubitz or PL3 in there, DSP needs to find himself as a player and realize he is most effective playing a north/south in your face game, he needs to plant himself in front of the net.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:23 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
next game vs the kings i want to see Staubitz or PL3 in there, DSP needs to find himself as a player and realize he is most effective playing a north/south in your face game, he needs to plant himself in front of the net.
but staubitz and PL3 centered by bonino or something next game against the kings.

sole purpose. create havoc for the opposing team

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Corey Perry*

Who would you guys consider heavyweights in today's NHL?

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

I was at the game, and completely missed the Stoll boarding on Fowler and only saw a woozy to say the least Fowler be helped the dressing room. That said, I would've had no problem with a complete cheapshot taken at Stoll in the remainder of the game. Furthermore, a cheap shot could have been taken, and I could've missed it because I missed the initial hit. Regardless, this needs to be dealt with, and NO I'm not talking about from Shanaban, or whoever is in charge these days. Fowler is, arguably, our best and most important player. No chance we should take **** from anyone who hits him, especially illegally as Stoll CLEARLY did.

PS I almost 100% disagree with Dirk the majority of the time, but I bet Dirk is on my side on this. Dress whatever goons possible, lose the next game against the Queens, just beat the ****ing **** out of them, especially Stoll, Doughty and Zombie.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:58 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 1117
Was disappointed to the point of disgust that nobody retaliated against Stoll and he was allowed to continue mucking around with our players. I get the whole point that you shouldn't take dumb penalties to cost yourself the game, but Stoll gets away with this on an almost bi-nightly basis. He can't be doing this **** to one of our best players. I mean...Fowler finally gets some confidence and he gets run. No one sticks up for him.

And what happened to Smith Pelly the wrecking ball? Did someone steal his man card or something? He's playing like he has no spine.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The Kings 4th line was exhibit "A" for why you don't want a 4th line of non-hockey players tonight.
Fraser with a -3 in 1:52 TOI

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Finnpin

After the Fowler case I would have wanted to see Staubitz in the lineup. Though the situation was little bit weird because Fowler lost the balance but still...

RATM/De La Rocha:

Now action must be taken
We don't need the key
We'll break in

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:30 PM
5minsforfighting

Like I posted earlier - it was just a matter of time till this happened (this time even worse - against our top defenseman). And ???

5minsforfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5minsforfighting View Post
Like I posted earlier - it was just a matter of time till this happened (this time even worse - against our top defenseman). And ???
And posters who were mad yesterday and wanting pl3 called up are again forgetting and want Rackell instead of dsp to be the only lineup change

Old
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Was disappointed to the point of disgust that nobody retaliated against Stoll (...)
I think the main reason for that was that nobody really caught it. I think Allen would have stepped up, for sure, but he was already engaged in some action with someone. With some other guys standing around and the referee falling on top of Fowler, it seems that the character of the hit just went unnoticed.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
And posters who were mad yesterday and wanting pl3 called up are again forgetting and want Rackell instead of dsp to be the only lineup change
Who are these posters?

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote