HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Making Sense of the Current Red Wings

Old
03-21-2013, 09:58 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Making Sense of the Current Red Wings

http://lastwordonsports.com/the-red-wings/

Quote:
Once again, the team collapsed by giving up a few goals quickly, and that in a game they had dominated for the most part. The Minnesota Wild pulled the Royce Gracie last night as they spent the entire match on their back and still got the submission victory.
Pure domination on the ice and yet Wings lose another game.

http://i.imgur.com/MMtulmW.gif

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:06 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

They didn't dominate. The shot total is so skewed in our favor because we take wrist shots from the blue line half the time we enter the zone.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
They didn't dominate. The shot total is so skewed in our favor because we take wrist shots from the blue line half the time we enter the zone.
Skewing stats: Mike Babcock's guide to keeping your job

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
needzmoarcleary
#FireHolland

Yea they really didn't dominate, it doesn't help that jimmy gave up a goal on the first shot in the game just like the nucks game. They made their very few chances count. It seems every team we play is really good at keeping us to the outside so we can't get in the middle and get those high quality chances while at the same time we give up those chances a lot to the opponent.

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsykiandeke View Post
Yea they really didn't dominate, it doesn't help that jimmy gave up a goal on the first shot in the game just like the nucks game. They made their very few chances count. It seems every team we play is really good at keeping us to the outside so we can't get in the middle and get those high quality chances while at the same time we give up those chances a lot to the opponent.
Other than Brunner, nobody consistently tries to take advantage of the soft spots in the slot.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsykiandeke View Post
But how many shots we had in the slot that went wide trying to hunt corners?

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:56 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
http://lastwordonsports.com/the-red-wings/

Pure domination on the ice and yet Wings lose another game.

http://i.imgur.com/MMtulmW.gif
Domination?
Oy.

The Wings lost because their rookie D got eaten alive. Smith's defensive inexperience was on display on goal one.
Lashoff was amateur hour on two other goals.

My guestion is, why did Babcock pair two rookies?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Domination?
Oy.

The Wings lost because their rookie D got eaten alive. Smith's defensive inexperience was on display on goal one.
Lashoff was amateur hour on two other goals.

My guestion is, why did Babcock pair two rookies?
The Wings lost due to terrible special teams, the star players not scoring and Jimmy not making enough saves.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
The Wings lost due to terrible special teams, the star players not scoring and Jimmy not making enough saves.
Smith and Lashoff looked bad... but Howard still needs to (and could/should have) make those saves. He gave up four goals on 19 shots. Yeah, there were some pretty good chances. The first Seto goal, it looks like he didn't even see it. The Brodziak goal was backdoor, but Howard looked slow to react and slow to move laterally even for Howard; had he been moving at normal speed he might have stopped it. The Koivu goal was an unscreened wrister from the slot that just plain beat him under the arm. And the second Seto goal was amateur hour on the PK; Howard gave up a bad rebound into the slot, and it bounced right into Lashoff's skates. Lashoff hit the trough before coming back to try and find the puck, and by that time Seto had banged it in the net.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:48 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Lashoff was pitiful last night. The main thing that hasn't made sense this year are the statements that our coach and GM continue to make. If you say the best players will play then you should play the best players...not the ones you like the most.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
Lashoff was pitiful last night. The main thing that hasn't made sense this year are the statements that our coach and GM continue to make. If you say the best players will play then you should play the best players...not the ones you like the most.
Is Huskins really so much better option than Lashoff? He is the only piece we have to bring some other guy to replace Lashoff.

I think we are going to miss Quincey pretty badly during the next month. PK has started cracking again, it was one of the rare parts that has been working in latest weeks.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

I was more so referring to some of our forwards, but yes, I believe that Huskins is a better option than Lashoff. Does Huskins make those same egregious errors as Lash did on both of this goals last night?

Old
03-21-2013, 05:18 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
I was more so referring to some of our forwards, but yes, I believe that Huskins is a better option than Lashoff. Does Huskins make those same egregious errors as Lash did on both of this goals last night?
No, because the games I've seen Huskins he's just wanted to play defense and make smart, crisp breakout passes. Who wants that?

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
No, because the games I've seen Huskins he's just wanted to play defense and make smart, crisp breakout passes. Who wants that?
Clearly not Babs, lol

Old
03-22-2013, 12:38 AM
RedWinger10

I don't understand why we dump and chase ALL THE TIME now! We have too much depth and skill to not be able to transition into the offensive zone without dumping and chasing. And it's even worse when we let teams keep us on the perimeter and take low percentage shots from the blueline and on the outside along the boards. We need better transition, net front traffic (a Holmstrom- like player would be awesome) and an efficient cycle to create higher percentage shots from better areas. That is the solution to our lack of production offensively.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:06 AM
aar000n

Truthfully min got two Sunday hops on rebounds and the Wing had a goal stolen

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I don't understand why we dump and chase ALL THE TIME now! We have too much depth and skill to not be able to transition into the offensive zone without dumping and chasing. And it's even worse when we let teams keep us on the perimeter and take low percentage shots from the blueline and on the outside along the boards. We need better transition, net front traffic (a Holmstrom- like player would be awesome) and an efficient cycle to create higher percentage shots from better areas. That is the solution to our lack of production offensively.
The team simply lacks skill on the back end. They simply don't have the talent to play puck possession hockey. I have never seen so many passes in the skates. It is tough to transition with speed when the puck drifts behind you or in your feet. This rag tag blueline is sloppy and unskilled. As a result they are trying to play conservative low risk hockey and just hang around. Unfortunately most nights they aren't very good at it and it is incredibly boring to watch. Overall I find the NHL to be less entertaining every year. Parity has reduced quality across the board and the Wings are just another casualty. I only expect it to get worse next year. How bout those Tigers!

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote