HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Every Time Danny Cleary

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Henkka

vCash: 500
Oh boy, you take Cleary out from bottom6 and they start scoring and the TOP6 cools down.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
sepster

Did anyone else notice last night when Datsyuk carried the puck out of the Wings zone, made a move around one defender, sent a nice saucer pass over another's stick right on to Cleary's tape, where he immediately flubbed the pass and then proceeded to fall over? I swear, Datsyuk has got to be thinking, "what the hell did I do to get stuck with this guy?"

"Dan Cleary: Where plays go to die"

Old
02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
I was a semi-fan of his. Never hated/never liked him. He was a solid player. It's time to go. He can't be a grinder, he cant play on the top lines because he's just not very good anymore... he takes dumb penalties. Holland, do the right thing and just let him go.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I am a fan of Danny Cleary. It's a shame his play has dropped off the face of the earth, but it's unacceptable. I can't sing his praises enough for what he's provided to this team, but it's time to move on.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
Did anyone else notice last night when Datsyuk carried the puck out of the Wings zone, made a move around one defender, sent a nice saucer pass over another's stick right on to Cleary's tape, where he immediately flubbed the pass and then proceeded to fall over? I swear, Datsyuk has got to be thinking, "what the hell did I do to get stuck with this guy?"

"Dan Cleary: Where plays go to die"
I noticed, lol. It's sad to watch it really is.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:40 PM
WingedWheel1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
I noticed, lol. It's sad to watch it really is.
If you play that Sarah McLachlan song (the one for the adopt an animal commercial) while Cleary is playing, you start to pity him.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

We just need a bunch of fans at JLA to chant Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnyyyyyyy. And break him emotionally like that one Simpsons episode where Darryl Strawberry cries.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

We should start a new trend at JLA where the entire crowd sings the first verse of Danny Boy, like Don't Stop Believin'.

Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flow'rs are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
sepster

Anyone want to start a Kickstarter Campaign with the intent to buy out his contract? Maybe that will get the message across?

Old
02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
WingedWheel1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
Anyone want to start a Kickstarter Campaign with the intent to buy out his contract? Maybe that will get the message across?
I tweet the Wings every day asking them why he is still on the team and Nyquist is rotting in the AHL.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Heaton
Holland = nomorecups

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I tweet the Wings every day asking them why he is still on the team and Nyquist is rotting in the AHL.
Why is he 'rotting' in the AHL? Nyquist could obviously help the Wings - but he's not rotting anywhere.

Him playing on the Wings part time on the 4th line would be rotting.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:55 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Why is he 'rotting' in the AHL? Nyquist could obviously help the Wings - but he's not rotting anywhere.

Him playing on the Wings part time on the 4th line would be rotting.
Players "rot" when they get to a point where there's very little to learn.

Think of a learning curve that flatlines. It's not always easy to get that curve going again.

He can learn more playing on the 4th line than he can finishing off year 2 in the AHL.
And in the NHL, he'ls going to push for a better role. That's clear.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Heaton
Holland = nomorecups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Players "rot" when they get to a point where there's very little to learn.

Think of a learning curve that flatlines. It's not always easy to get that curve going again.

He can learn more playing on the 4th line than he can finishing off year 2 in the AHL.
And in the NHL, he'ls going to push for a better role. That's clear.
I think this would be true if the Griffins weren't good, but they are pretty good this year so I believe Nyquist will gain some valuable experience in the AHL.

Calling up Nyquist with the current setup is silly, it seems the team will potentially make room for Tatar but it's unclear how it'll be handled once everyone gets healthy. Calling up Nyquist makes no sense with zero room available. Holland should've handled it better, but that's just obvious.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

If Cleary makes it to the end of the year without being waived, or even worse, gets re-signed, I will seriously question this organization's ability to evaluate players objectively. The only way he is still playing is he is coasting off his past reputation, and we have always had a bit of a "country club" atmosphere. I can't ever remember a player who brings down the level of play of any line they are placed on as bad as Cleary. Not even Homer or Draper at their lowest points. At least Draper won draws and Homer was money in front of the net. Cleary contributes nothing.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
I think this would be true if the Griffins weren't good, but they are pretty good this year so I believe Nyquist will gain some valuable experience in the AHL.
It doesn't matter if the Griffins are good, it's more about the level of players you are playing against. Playing against better players helps you become a better player. Also getting mentored from Datsyuk and Zetterberg is night-and-day different then getting mentored from Francis Pare or Jamie Tardif. He really has nothing left to gain from playing in GR.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:

Calling up Nyquist with the current setup is silly, it seems the team will potentially make room for Tatar but it's unclear how it'll be handled once everyone gets healthy. Calling up Nyquist makes no sense with zero room available. Holland should've handled it better, but that's just obvious.
Well, I disagree with the first part. It's about learning the speed of the game. Doesn't matter much how good or bad the Griffs are.

On the second part, I somewhat agree.
I'd like to see Holland change the roster, though

Old
02-14-2013, 07:50 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
This may be the incentive I need to join Twitter.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
WingedWheel1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
This may be the incentive I need to join Twitter.
They have yet to respond. I feel like Andy Dufrane in The Shawshank Redemption when he writes letters to the state asking for state funding for a library. I will eventually get a response.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
It doesn't matter if the Griffins are good, it's more about the level of players you are playing against. Playing against better players helps you become a better player. Also getting mentored from Datsyuk and Zetterberg is night-and-day different then getting mentored from Francis Pare or Jamie Tardif. He really has nothing left to gain from playing in GR.
People don't seem to get it.

They think playing a lot of minutes against guys they've played against for years and have already dominated is better than playing less minutes with and against the best competition in the world, be they 3rd liners, some minutes on the top line, PP time, whatever.

Not sure why the go to excuse is always "Well it's better getting top minutes in the AHL than the fourth line for the Wings."

Dan Cleary is playing with PAVEL EFFING DATSYUK, and it's pretty clear Nyquist couldn't do any worse. Why do you think he would be relegated to the 4th line playing five minutes a night?(not directed at you Frk)

Last edited by DRWCountryClub: 02-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Heaton
Holland = nomorecups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
People don't seem to get it.

They think playing a lot of minutes against guys they've played against for years and have already dominated is better than playing less minutes with and against the best competition in the world, be they 3rd liners, some minutes on the top line, PP time, whatever.

Not sure why the go to excuse is always "Well it's better getting top minutes in the AHL than the fourth line for the Wings."

Dan Cleary is playing with PAVEL EFFING DATSYUK, and it's pretty clear Nyquist couldn't do any worse. Why do you think he would be relegated to the 4th line playing five minutes a night. (rhetorical questions)
It's all rhetorical. Holland hasn't made any room for him, he's going to have to waive 3-4 players regardless once everyone gets healthy.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
It's all rhetorical. Holland hasn't made any room for him, he's going to have to waive 3-4 players regardless once everyone gets healthy.
Yeah, in that case he's not done a good job managing the roster.

But if anyone tries to give a straight argument that Nyquist should stay in the AHL over the NHL because of minutes or expoerience or whatever, I think they are out to lunch.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Yeah, it's crazy to step back and see how mis-managed this roster has been for this season. I mean, you take into account all of the injuries suffered by Wings forwards, guys being pressed into roles they can't handle, you have a guy like Gus tearing up the AHL, and he somehow can't get any time with the Wings?

Doesn't make sense.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:01 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Yeah, it's crazy to step back and see how mis-managed this roster has been for this season. I mean, you take into account all of the injuries suffered by Wings forwards, guys being pressed into roles they can't handle, you have a guy like Gus tearing up the AHL, and he somehow can't get any time with the Wings?

Doesn't make sense.

Nyquist is a better man than I. If I were in his shoes I'd have demanded a trade.

Playing time is one thing, but salary is another, especially when a lot of prospects dont come from wealth backgrounds. Look at Brendan Smith, any other team and he'd have 2 full seasons a few more mil in the bank and one year closer to a bigger payday. In the back of his mind Nyquist has to be thinking "What if I get injured today and don't have much to fall back on financially".

Old
02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Heaton
Holland = nomorecups

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Nyquist is a better man than I. If I were in his shoes I'd have demanded a trade.

Playing time is one thing, but salary is another, especially when a lot of prospects dont come from wealth backgrounds. Look at Brendan Smith, any other team and he'd have 2 full seasons a few more mil in the bank and one year closer to a bigger payday. In the back of his mind Nyquist has to be thinking "What if I get injured today and don't have much to fall back on financially".
I think fans are way more impatient than the players. They actually have inside knowledge of what's going on and what's being said. Demanding trades at his stage of his career puts a bad taste in the mouth of management everywhere. Players need to bide their time and focus on playing as best as they can where ever they are.

Closed Thread