HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

Old
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
xyzz

vCash: 500
Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

I'm in Toronto, but I'm going to use a VPN. Will I get ALL leafs games? (Leafs TV, Sportsnet, TSN, CBC).

Also, can anyone comment on the quality? are they in HD? Is it smooth or is there a lot of buffering?

edit: will be using apple tv or xbox

Thanks!

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
You get all games that are not televised nationally.

I'd recommend hockeystreams as a "**** you" for the lockout. No worries about blackouts.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Tombernack

For a while now I've been hoping the NHL would be offering this for free as a sign of good will for the lock out. Offering me this would be a good enough apology.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
xyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
You get all games that are not televised nationally.

I'd recommend hockeystreams as a "**** you" for the lockout. No worries about blackouts.

I want high quality though.. the VPN will make NHL Gamecenter think I'm in Texas, not worried about local blackouts (unless they play the stars, which wont happen this season)

Old
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
xyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
For a while now I've been hoping the NHL would be offering this for free as a sign of good will for the lock out. Offering me this would be a good enough apology.
Yeah hopefully, but I also dont mind paying for it.. just want good quality

Old
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

The Leafs have had an offer on their site which I have done for the past two seasons.

It was something like 40$ for every Leafs game (except ones that are on CBC, ie. Saturday nights). HD quality, it was great. I have absolutely no complaints about it.

Once, they messed up and there wasn't a stream for a game, and they gave people their money back (all of like 50 cents haha), but still, it's good quality/good service.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
Yeah hopefully, but I also dont mind paying for it.. just want good quality
Its a quality HD stream though. Probably worth the $. You can get a free sample once the season starts. Click on a game and theyll give you like 30 seconds of a live sample.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
The Leafs have had an offer on their site which I have done for the past two seasons.

It was something like 40$ for every Leafs game (except ones that are on CBC, ie. Saturday nights). HD quality, it was great. I have absolutely no complaints about it.

Once, they messed up and there wasn't a stream for a game, and they gave people their money back (all of like 50 cents haha), but still, it's good quality/good service.
Are you able to go back and watch games afterwards? The only reason I'm considering Gamecenter is because I usually work in the evenings and miss a lot of games, but the price is a bit off-putting, especially considering I don't really care about watching any other teams for this half-season. $40 for just the Leafs games would be perfect.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I'm also considering gamecenter thru vpn...when I had it free for two weeks last yr. i thought it was great - i just want to make sure I will be able to watch all the games with a proxy seeing as I don't have cable.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
is rogers giving any deals on the centre ice package as part of the lockout plan?

I'm in a similar boat I only have basic cable. The only things i watch live are sports and the news (other than that i watch online). So I get the sportsnet games and pay for leafs TV but the TSN games I must watch online. Anyone know what bell has as basic cable?

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Go check out hockey streams. Same thing as gamecenter (PVR, archived games instantly after finished, etc..). They have every game in HD, along with it being cheaper. They also have instructions on how to stream to certain devices.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Ron Wilson*

Hey guys, first post!

I had game centre for a long time, but just got sick of the blackouts. Pretty much any important or fun game is blacked out. All TO of course, even BUF, BOS, DET, EDM, a lot of Flames games even.

IMO it's not worth the cost. If it had no blackouts I would pay that price, but after the lockout it's hard to stomach giving these guys money for 60% of the games, and ALL the good ones.

Ron Wilson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Guy Boucher

It works with a VPN but it can get very choppy streaming on the TV.

Also, I heard it will not be free this season but might be $5 cheaper (so $15 bucks per month).

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Go check out hockey streams. Same thing as gamecenter (PVR, archived games instantly after finished, etc..). They have every game in HD, along with it being cheaper. They also have instructions on how to stream to certain devices.
is it legal?

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
I'm in Toronto, but I'm going to use a VPN. Will I get ALL leafs games? (Leafs TV, Sportsnet, TSN, CBC).

Also, can anyone comment on the quality? are they in HD? Is it smooth or is there a lot of buffering?

edit: will be using apple tv or xbox

Thanks!
I use game center live exclusively. Don't go the vpn route tho. Use unblock-us.com to get around blackouts without hassles and slow performance of a vpn.

Plus you get us netflix and access to us tv.

And yep you will get all feeds in hd. No commercials most of the time too. It's smooth if you don't use a vpn

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
unassisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post

Yes, this is provided by Neulion, same as GCL. However, the bitrate is slightly lower and the interface is different. The sucky part about the interface is the non-removable scoreboard on top. So you will have a black border (windowboxed) around the broadcast if you watch it full screen on a 16:9 tv/monitor. GCL doesn't have this limitation. rogersondemand was actually forwarding free access to this last year for their cable subscribers. No word yet about this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
When I had GCL, I would switch IPs to watch the Leafs games and then disconnect the vpn after it started playing.

Either way, both have a full refund policy if you're unsatisfied after a couple of days.

unassisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post

Also, I heard it will not be free this season but might be $5 cheaper (so $15 bucks per month).
The solution:
http://www.unblock-us.com/

Old
01-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Aplayaz2000

what's the source, do you get the Leafs TV feed? via sportsnet

or do you get some like random NHL club

Aplayaz2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
what's the source, do you get the Leafs TV feed? via sportsnet

or do you get some like random NHL club
If you have gamecenter live, you can choose the Home or Away feed for any and every game.

So if Sportsnet is airing that particular Leaf game, you can choose that, same goes with TSN, CBC or LeafsTV. The blackout rules apply of course, so that's where Unblock-us comes in. It uses DNS trickery rather than a VPN to fool gamecenter into thinking you're somewhere other than in the GTA so there's not loss in bandwidth or an increase in latency.

So what you end up with is a fully reliable High def feed of all leaf games, it's glorious, trust me.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Action Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
If you have gamecenter live, you can choose the Home or Away feed for any and every game.

So if Sportsnet is airing that particular Leaf game, you can choose that, same goes with TSN, CBC or LeafsTV. The blackout rules apply of course, so that's where Unblock-us comes in. It uses DNS trickery rather than a VPN to fool gamecenter into thinking you're somewhere other than in the GTA so there's not loss in bandwidth or an increase in latency.

So what you end up with is a fully reliable High def feed of all leaf games, it's glorious, trust me.
Going to give this a shot for one month and see how it is.

Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:54 AM
DIrwin

Now in regards to all of this, I live in Ottawa I know, I know. And I was told if I bought nhl centreice online package or w,e that almost all Toronto games are blacked out?

Being an Ottawa resident what would be the best subscription service, and how do I get around black out games. I've seen the comments about unblockus and vpn but I'm not overly computer savy so I'm not sure what those are/mean!

Thanks for any input!

DIrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrwin View Post
Now in regards to all of this, I live in Ottawa I know, I know. And I was told if I bought nhl centreice online package or w,e that almost all Toronto games are blacked out?

Being an Ottawa resident what would be the best subscription service, and how do I get around black out games. I've seen the comments about unblockus and vpn but I'm not overly computer savy so I'm not sure what those are/mean!

Thanks for any input!
I've never tried it, but apparently hockeystreams.com has all games without blackouts and is good quality while being much cheaper.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:53 AM
DIrwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
I've never tried it, but apparently hockeystreams.com has all games without blackouts and is good quality while being much cheaper.
So even if I'm in Ottawa I wouldn't experience ANY blackouts for leaf games?

Also does hockeystreams.com have replayability options, like a previous poster said I work only evenings/overnights should a big reason for it would be to watch games after they've taken place

DIrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
I know GCL has 3000 kbps bit rate at highest setting. What is stream rate on hockeystreams?

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:11 AM
HFX902

I was thinking about streaming my leafs games on justin.tv that way anyone can watch

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote