HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Cody Franson

Old
05-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Cody Franson

What a series by him, no scratch that, what a year he is been having and he still doesn't get enough respect from fans.

This has been phenomenal all over the ice, he is also very good at carrying the puck out of the zone nicely despite his deficiency in mobility and speed.

One of our bright spots on the d-core along with Gardiner.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Personally I feel he has played best without Fraser. Looks to be a top 4 guy for sure next year.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Best game of his career tonight, IMO. Defensively at least.

Love Franson. Always have.

SS2, this is for you:

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
GilmourClarkScores

Solid. No more. No less.

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

most underrated player for the leafs... by far

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Yushkevich36

great to see him have a chance this year and earn his spot. really deserves this success after sticking with us through last year. has been phenomenal for us these playoffs, very dependable player.

Yushkevich36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmourClarkScores View Post
Solid. No more. No less.
I feel like he's far more than just solid. He's being that big rangy defenseman who can eat up minutes, loose pucks and always transition to something more productive at a pacing he dictates. And he's been surprisingly physical too...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Personally I feel he has played best without Fraser. Looks to be a top 4 guy for sure next year.
no doubt.

Randy thought Fraser was a big reason why franson had improved this year.....but it turns out that Fraser was just holding him back.

Since replacing Fraser with Gardiner on the pairing, Franson has gone from good to great. He is doing everything out there.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
no doubt.

Randy thought Fraser was a big reason why franson had improved this year.....but it turns out that Fraser was just holding him back.

Since replacing Fraser with Gardiner on the pairing, Franson has gone from good to great. He is doing everything out there.
He is PKing more now too (nearly double) in the playoffs than in the regular season. That was one thing I felt he needed to be able to take the next step. Hope he keeps it up. I prefer defensemen who can be used in all situations, really loving Franson's progress.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:05 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

When he starts to throw his weight around, he's very effective. Also a very smart player. He doesn't hit very often in the regular season, but it seems like he saves himself. That Lebda trade looks shockingly more lopsided every day.

I like the Gardiner-Franson pairing a lot. Interesting that both were acquired under similar circumstances.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:07 PM
InNonisWeTrust
Bring on the trades!

I've been saying this all year and everyone complained he was slow... Screw u haters

InNonisWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
When he starts to throw his weight around, he's very effective. Also a very smart player. He doesn't hit very often in the regular season, but it seems like he saves himself. That Lebda trade looks shockingly more lopsided every day.

I like the Gardiner-Franson pairing a lot. Interesting that both were acquired under similar circumstances.
for the record, Franson was top-10 in the league in hits this year.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Best game of his career tonight, IMO. Defensively at least.

Love Franson. Always have.

SS2, this is for you:

Agreed, *brofist*. We were 2 of the only Franny supporters, even when with Wilson.

What a stud he's been.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:16 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Beast

05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Why do people still think he's not physical? I don't get it lol?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post

Both were known to be good. All we had to doo was eat some cash. Something this franchise has in bundles.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

A great case of parser erence after sitting g out a lot last year. Has been unreal this year. He was on pace for something like 45 points this year.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Dzhegr

He's got some of the smoothest hands on the team, and doesn't seem to panic when pressured, good combination especially in the breakout. I've been a huge fan ever since we got him from Nashville, hope we lock him up long term.

Dzhegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Beleafer4

4 points in 6 games
Has been crushing the opposition
And I cant recall a big defensive gaffe he has made this series (unlike every single other defenseman on the team)

Stud

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

HUGE Franson supporter here. Tonight was the best game I've ever seen Franson play. He was making reads in the defensive zone tonight like a vet - picking off passes and throwing his weight around.

I still don't know where people get off saying he isn't physical. I watched the Leafs play Tampa a couple of weeks ago in person and he was easily the most physical defender we had.

He can also rush the puck up the ice with ease and makes a great first pass. What an acquisition. Quickly becoming my favorite Leaf. Thank you, Burkie!!!

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Agreed, *brofist*. We were 2 of the only Franny supporters, even when with Wilson.

What a stud he's been.
I've always been a vocal supporter of Franson. I'll just squeeze my way into this bromance if you don't mind.

Pinto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:04 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Always liked Franson, and I was mad he wasn't getting a fair shake.

He's the most improved player on this team from last year bar none, and he's really become a true top 4 dman.

His game is very well-rounded, and he's utilizing his body well. Nobody can call Franson soft anymore, he wrecks somebody almost every game now. Today he laid out Marchand early in the first IIRC.

Franson's offense is also great, but everyone knows that already, he's improved even more in that aspect though.

The biggest area of improvement has been his defensive game, he's become a better skater, is more effective at closing gaps and is sound positionally, he never goes for a risky pinch or gets burned for it.

Franson's only major weakness is his skating, but that can be improved, he already has shown improvement in that regarding. If he can continue to build on that it'll make him a much better player, good skating leads to good recovery and less defensive gaffes. With his size, as long as he can skate adequately, he can rely on his reach and stick to get him out of trouble.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:08 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

I don't like when he's called a bottom pairing Dman, IMO he's a top 4 D.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:30 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

He deserves all the praise he is getting. What a warrior. He has taken his game to another level. He is a complete dman out there. Top pairing.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:57 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
He is PKing more now too (nearly double) in the playoffs than in the regular season. That was one thing I felt he needed to be able to take the next step. Hope he keeps it up. I prefer defensemen who can be used in all situations, really loving Franson's progress.
With that size, reach and physicality, Cody Franson on the PK is a no-brainer IMO. Great to see him logging some big (and effective) shorthanded minutes this postseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Franson's only major weakness is his skating, but that can be improved, he already has shown improvement in that regarding. If he can continue to build on that it'll make him a much better player, good skating leads to good recovery and less defensive gaffes. With his size, as long as he can skate adequately, he can rely on his reach and stick to get him out of trouble.
This is also something that can be remedied by playing alongside a fantastic skater like Jake Gardiner. I feel that is what has made that pairing so effective thus far. Franson is a big defenseman with a long reach and has been noticeably physical while Gardiner is an elusive smooth skating defenseman. Both players play a two-way game, and have been relying on hockey smarts to read the play to find and create offensive opportunities.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote