January 30

01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever
vCash: 500
January 30

Bruins defeat Devils in shootout
OK, in the interest of hungry news hounds everywhere, we will start with the pretzel. Warning: this is not your granddaddy’s game story.

With Tyler Seguin the leadoff hitter in the shootout, someone in the soldout TD Garden stands fired the doughy treat (wrapped, one large, condiments unknown) toward New Jersey netminder Johan Hedberg. As the offending appetizer slid across the crease and behind Hedberg, the onrushing Seguin stayed hungry for the net and finished off with a forehand stuff that should have been good for the 1-0 lead in the extra session.

But not so fast. Hedberg clearly hadn’t seen the skittering pretzel, but referees Marc Joannette and Mark Lemelin, strutting their officiating mustard and overall sense of fairness, quickly ordered a do-over for Seguin.

Mystery projectile disrupts Bruins-Devils shootout
What was that thing tossed on the ice during Tuesday's Bruins-Devils shootout?

That's the question being bandied about Wednesday morning.
The quick recap: A fan at TD Garden threw something -- many are saying some sort of food -- toward Devils goalie Johan Hedberg as the Bruins' Tyler Seguin attempted a penalty shot and scored. A do-over was ordered by the game officials, and Seguin scored again.

Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask shines in shootout win
Tuukka Rask makes it clear that, like most goalies, he is not a fan of the shootout. Especially when Ilya Kovalchuk, New Jersey’s first shooter, kicks off the game-deciding segment with a whippy shot into the net. Seeing such a snapper whiz past does little to jack up any goaltender’s confidence.

Like it or not, Rask’s job is to stop every puck he can in the shootout. Aside from Kovalchuk’s successful attempt, he did just that. In succession, Rask turned back Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac, David Clarkson, and Jacob Josefson.

Claude Julien looks at Dougie Hamilton, he sees stars
Claude Julien sees a trace of greatness in the 6-foot-5-inch rookie. His body type, style of play and demeanor, Julien noted Tuesday, conjures up an image of Hall of Famer Larry Robinson, the ex-Montreal defenseman.

“He’s tall, and he’s not going to run anybody through the boards,’’ said Julien, prior to the Bruins defeating one of Robinson’s former clubs, the Devils, 2-1, in a shootout Tuesday night at the Garden. “But he’s solid and he moves the puck well and sees the play well. I think everybody knows Larry was a pretty good player.’’

B’s put out Devils’ fire .
Just when it looked like the condensed schedule and the heavy bodies of the New Jersey Devils would combine to carry the night at the Garden, the Bruins managed to grab not one but two points in a feel-good 2-1 shootout victory last night.

After Nathan Horton tied the game with 4:05 left in regulation, Brad Marchand beat Johan Hedberg through the 5-hole in the sixth round of the shootout, and then Tuukka Rask (27 saves) stopped Marek Zidlicky to give the B’s an extremely hard-fought win to remain unbeaten in regulation at 5-0-1.

Jordan Caron can’t catch break this season .
“I had some good games and some bad ones, some highs and lows,” said Caron, who had three of those goals in one game. “The numbers weren’t as high as I wanted them to be, though I don’t think that was really representative of the way I played, especially in the first 15 games. I think I had three goals waved off, and stuff like that can play with your mind. I had some great chances that I didn’t score on. It’s tough and tough to stay sharp mentally, but you just have to keep focused and keep playing. It’s a long season and I just have to keep going and forget about it.”

Stephen Harris: Old-school hockey night .
you are a fan of wide-open, offensive hockey, the Garden was not the place you wanted to be last night.

On the other hand, connoisseurs of a purer form of NHL play — gritty, tightly checked, physical — might have regarded the Bruins’ 2-1 shootout win against the New Jersey Devils as a classic.

Bruins getting money's worth from defenseman Aaron Johnson
Aaron Johnson knew what he was getting into. He had his chance to play – and probably play more – for other teams, but agreed to a one-year, $650,000 contract with the Bruins instead.

“They showed they were interested the most and that definitely helped,” said the veteran defenseman, a free-agent signee who played his second straight game and fourth of the season in Tuesday night’s 2-1 shootout win over the Islanders. “There were some other teams interested, but the Stanley Cup was a big thing – being with a team that could win that. That was my main reason to come here.”

Boston Bruins work late again to beat New Jersey
The Bruins seem determined to either make sure every second of the shortened season counts, or to stretch the season out.

They’ve made it hard to argue with them.

The B’s recorded a 2-1, shootout victory over the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night at TD Garden, in what has become typical fashion:

They went to overtime.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Good stuff, GW.

I swiped the Caron article for the 3rd line thread.

And you can tell all your scum friends that things are gonna change in this town. I'm not just another pretty face.
smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Gotta say Johnson has turned into a great pick up for the 7th d-man.

As long as Chara and to some degree Seids aren't the injured players, I won't be too worried with Johson stepping in (something I can't say for the last few seasons).

I also think with the shortened season having a good 7th d-man will be key when resting players before the playoffs.

Good pick up and it sounds like he wanted to come here.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote