Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap 2013-2014

Old
01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
bostonphoenix

vCash: 500
Cap 2013-2014

I like playing around with rosters and the cap. And I realize we are not even close to the end of this season.

I imagine in 2014-2015 the cap will be higher than what the number for next season. So I think its only a single year problem.

BUT for the life of me I can't get a reasonable version of this team under the ceiling. I get at best something around 2 million above it.

I want to say that if Chiarelli had been more RESPONSIBLE in the contracts he had given out recently this wouldn't be an issue.

- Lucic at 6 million is at least a half a million more than he deserves in my mind. (.5)

- Can't really argue about Seguin. But maybe 5.5 would have been team friendlier. (.25)

- Krejci in no way should be getting paid more than Bergeron. Would have been happier with 4.75 . (.5)

- I like Kelly and Peverley but they could have been signed for a quarter less a piece (.5)

- The D, in my mind looks good. Perhaps only boychuck cheaper at 3 (.33)

The above would have us cap compliant.

But we don't have those. So I'm only really interested to know if anyone has a "roster" in mind for next season that would have us compliant and if so, what it is. At the moment I think a large piece of our team has to be moved to get us under.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
DoubleAAAA

Keep in mind Bonus Cushion will be back in place, so DH's salary will be considerably lower. Not sure if anyone else has any ... think he's the only ELC?

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Did you remember to take Savard out?

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
redsox7327

Not sure what numbers you are looking at, but with:

Lucic Krejci Seguin
Marchand Bergeron ---------
Kelly Peverley Bourque
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Mcquaid ----------

53.1 committed with a cap of 64.2.

The Bruins are going to have two open starter spots with 11+ million dollars minus the cost of Rask (as he is a virtual lock to return, obviously) to spend with a guy like Paille being easily expendable and prospects approaching their readiness to enter the lineup like Spooner and perhaps even Knight.

So I just don't see the problem.

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:18 PM
redsox7327

We could play with numbers all day, but say they bring back Rask at 5 million, Horton at 5 million, and Ference at 2.75.

That's 12.75 million. If you get rid of Paille that will put you 350k over with backups still to sign and I don't know about the bonus cushion if that is indeed back or not, which would put you under if it is back.

So many ways to play with the numbers so it is not really worth it. The only thing relevant here is that Chiarelli is going to be in the ballpark if he decides to bring everyone back. At worst he would have to move a guy like Campbell, or maybe someone else if he wanted more freedom to make other moves.

Certainly the uncertainty here is going to be with Rask's new contract. if he has a great year and is in contention for the Vezna then you might have to throw that 5 million number out the window. So tough to predict right now. At most though, Chia is not going to have to shake the team up much if he doesn't want to. It will also come down to his preferences on the future outlook of the team. Maybe he wants to move Krejci for a young talented winger? Who really knows.

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Shaun

Can the PA use the cap escalator in 2013-2014 or does the ability to use it start the year after?

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox7327 View Post
Not sure what numbers you are looking at, but with:

Lucic Krejci Seguin
Marchand Bergeron ---------
Kelly Peverley Bourque
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Hamilton
Mcquaid ----------

53.1 committed with a cap of 64.2.

The Bruins are going to have two open starter spots with 11+ million dollars minus the cost of Rask (as he is a virtual lock to return, obviously) to spend with a guy like Paille being easily expendable and prospects approaching their readiness to enter the lineup like Spooner and perhaps even Knight.

So I just don't see the problem.
I'm not as quick as many to say Paille is "easily expendable", not many NHL 4th liners can do what this trio does.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Can the PA use the cap escalator in 2013-2014 or does the ability to use it start the year after?
I read an OOG post, he seems to think the PA can use it. It's possible the cap will increase from 64m. And over the history of the cap, I think its a safe bet.

Last edited by finchster: 01-28-2013 at 12:48 PM.
finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:15 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
We could play with numbers all day, but say they bring back Rask at 5 million, Horton at 5 million, and Ference at 2.75.

That's 12.75 million. If you get rid of Paille that will put you 350k over with backups still to sign and I don't know about the bonus cushion if that is indeed back or not, which would put you under if it is back.

So many ways to play with the numbers so it is not really worth it. The only thing relevant here is that Chiarelli is going to be in the ballpark if he decides to bring everyone back. At worst he would have to move a guy like Campbell, or maybe someone else if he wanted more freedom to make other moves.

Certainly the uncertainty here is going to be with Rask's new contract. if he has a great year and is in contention for the Vezna then you might have to throw that 5 million number out the window. So tough to predict right now. At most though, Chia is not going to have to shake the team up much if he doesn't want to. It will also come down to his preferences on the future outlook of the team. Maybe he wants to move Krejci for a young talented winger? Who really knows.
Curious to see what impact the reduction in cap has on the FA market. Didn't seem to hurt Benn at all but in theory these guys should be looking at lower numbers since it's a smaller pie. Unless Horton blows the doors off, I can't see him getting much of a raise. Based on a lower market I'd expect fairly short term of $4 - $4.5 for Tuukka, but the market adjustment has yet to be seen, so who knows. It'll be an interesting off-season.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Ratty

If Hamilton develops as expected, Ference could be expendable thus saving 2.75m on the cap. Horton's return depends on his health and production. Campbell's role could be filled internally. I think PC has options for next season.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:03 AM
sjaustin77

The cap escalator can be used but revenues have to be enough before the cap will go up.

Ex:
If rev would give a cap of $60M adding 5% only gets the cap to $63M. Since it can't be lower than $64.3M, that will be the cap.
If rev would give a cap of $62M adding 5% gets the cap to $65.1M.
If rev would give a cap of $64.3M adding 5% gets the cap to $67.515M.

I think the players will exercise it but there is no guarantee. Plan for $64.3M and be pleasantly surprised if it comes out higher. Because they are playing the part of the season where the most money is made; there is a small chance that it will be higher.

We can bring back the same team (using bonus cushion & LTIR) at the same money if Horton & Ference combine for $55,000 less. I think that is possible. The 1st problem is Rask is most likely getting a decent raise. So we are likely losing at least 1 player but it doesn't have to be anyone major. Here is the same 22 man team that is cap compliant - no raises, 55k less for Horton/Ference, bonus cushion used & dropped Savard (LTIR). So you can see that we are close.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($5.750m)
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Nathan Horton ($3.950m)
Chris Bourque ($0.550m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Shawn Thornton ($1.100m)
Lane MacDermid ($0.660m)
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
Andrew Ference ($2.245m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Aaron Johnson ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($3.500m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.875m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,036,667; BONUSES: $737,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $833

A couple other problems with playing it this close:

1. LTIR can't be used until the season starts. I don't know if we have any paper moves that we can make to drop $4.0M for a day.
2. No room for injury call ups.
3. Using the bonus cushion risks cap money for the next season, but it isn't much since Seguin's ELC will be done.

I wouldn't worry about it until we see if Horton can remain healthy and does well and if Chia makes any trades this year that change the situation. We will know a lot more towards the end of the season in regards to Horton and whether any of the young kids look like they can play a role next year. I expect others will be given a shot if Bourque can't put up any points in the next few games.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:20 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

I think Chia just cant overpay guys who can be replaced. Marchand, Lucic, and Seguin are young and core players for years to come. Ference I dont think is a core guy and is getting up there in age. Bruins also have some prospects who could become decent NHL players if we give them the chance.

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
I think Chia just cant overpay guys who can be replaced. Marchand, Lucic, and Seguin are young and core players for years to come. Ference I dont think is a core guy and is getting up there in age. Bruins also have some prospects who could become decent NHL players if we give them the chance.
IMO Marchand is not a "core player" and he will be overpaid by about $1 million.....but it's to late now because he's signed and I can't see anyone trading for him at that price. I'm afraid we'll lose Horton and Ference, which, IMO, are big losses. It'll be interesting that's for sure but I don't think we're the only team in this situation.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
bostonphoenix

Quote:

I disagree with the bolded portion. I dont think there is that many ways. It seems a large portion of this board complains about Borque who would the caliber/talent you would be filling those extra roster spots. I dont see how this is easily done.

You bring Paille up. He makes 1.3. Thats not enough to get even two rookies in.

To the roster made above.

The only player I could see signing for the same amount is Horton. It would be a one year deal and the reason would be a combination of health/production questions.

Borque gets complained about a lot - no matter who you replace him with it will cost more.

I imagine Lance MacDermid replacement will cost more.

Andrew Ferrence will cost more/maybe torey krug takes over for him?

Rask will cost more, if he plays as he has.

Anton, will cost more if he continues to play as he did in his 1 game.

I think if the cap goes up/there is a bonus cushion my concern is for naught. But eh.

Last edited by bostonphoenix: 01-29-2013 at 01:57 PM.
bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
IMO Marchand is not a "core player" and he will be overpaid by about $1 million.....but it's to late now because he's signed and I can't see anyone trading for him at that price. I'm afraid we'll lose Horton and Ference, which, IMO, are big losses. It'll be interesting that's for sure but I don't think we're the only team in this situation.
4.5 million seems fair for a guy who scores in the high 20's, kills penalties and brings all the energy Marchand does.

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote