HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - MK VIII - 'Week-end of Angst' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Was Bergevin really quoted as questioning if Subban was a "real pro"? That evokes racism.
How?

Old
01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Fair enough. FTR, I did say MB should be compromising here and increasing his price for this next offering. I'm not saying he stand pat (IF Lavoie is correct), but also that PK take his demands down too.
Stubbs said that Subban would prefer a long term deal but it wasn't necessary.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Hey all players play under the same rules and context of injury etc. All players deal with escrop etc what makes him better than them. I mean every player could say hell I signed for only 2MM a season and I am only getting 1MM this year what if I get hurt.
I get that, but not all are without a contract like PK is now and in the position that he is in from an age and ability perspective. If you're smart about your career, you need to maximize your earnings, reduce risks. It's all about getting to your big pay day and setting yourself for life.

It's a business and PK is doing what is best for PK - which is absolutely legitimate.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
We do. We can proudly said that we are a hockey club that stand up for all the old/obsolete principles. Be damned with the Stanley Cup. Other team can win it. The Montreal Canadiens has been around for more than 100 years. We will proudly stick to our own principles.
We all know the main reasons why we did not win the cup in the last 19 years was mainly because of bad developpement of our draft selection and because we could not attrack any interesting ufa until recently.

As far as I know, PK never made our powerplay work. We were 28th last year. Until he can accomplish that by himself, like Markov is doing, I don't see him getting a long term contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:24 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
When we have won the last two Stanley Cups, we have a team with egomaniac like Roy and wild guys like Chris Chelios. This does not prevent them from winning the Cup. Since then we have got a lot of nice group of players who does not cause problem and what do they give us: NOTHING.
thing is, those egomaniac happened to be: one of the best goalie in history, a 3 times Norris trophy winner...

Old
01-26-2013, 02:25 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I like your optimism.

I too hope that over the weekend, Subban decides he can make more in his next contract and signs. Much like Phil was saying. He moves into the lineup either Tuesday or Wednesday and we can put this all behind us.

I just hope people realize that when Subban is an RFA again, he could command $7M per year and Montreal could definitely afford it. And with what he'd have lost in the past two years, he'd deserve it.
Yup. Totally agree and hope, like you, that it just happens! Doubt he'll be in until after the Wed game under the best circumstances. I want him playing the system we have the past two games. Looks like it took an embarrassing loss to get **** together.

NJ will be a special teams/goalie duel, but we can win. I'm quite scared by the Jets!

Old
01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I get that, but not all are without a contract like PK is now and in the position that he is in from an age and ability perspective. If you're smart about your career, you need to maximize your earnings, reduce risks. It's all about getting to your big pay day and setting yourself for life.

It's a business and PK is doing what is best for PK - which is absolutely legitimate.
Yes and MB is doing what he feels is best for the HABS if it wasn't I am willing to bet Molson would have forced him to change his offer already. Every player signed or unsigned knows the deal when they lace em up the risk of injury is always there. You do what you can on the ice to try and minimize that but you still also know that if you are injured your teams insurance is paying your salary while you are off.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Did you catch how careful he was with his words during that TSN segment about whether Yakupov's goal celebration was insulting or not? You could feel all of the eyes on him making sure he didn't say it was great for him to do. So Galchenyuk said that's the kind of player he was. Smart politics but boy is it a shame to be a hockey fan sometimes. Too often it reminds me of how people acted when Tiger Woods started winning PGA Championships. The old boys club just came out shining.

not to go off topic here...but everyone loved tiger and what he did for the game, everyone.

that said, when he struggled or when things didn't go his way, he would swear, throw clubs, scuff greens, and couldn't lose like a man (whatever that means). same thing with sergio (and that 20 minute waggle), bubba, and a few other short tempered guys. in golf, these guys were not losing with dignity and that's what upset the 'old' boys. it's a generational thing and it's tough to drop tradition.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
So let me understand, talent not an issue but his character is?

Does he take shifts off on the ice? No
Is he a warrior? Yes
Can he carry a heavy workload? Yes
Does he work hard off ice? Incredibly
Is he accessible to media and fans? Incredibly
Has he ever been mentioned in any scandalous type behavior?No
Does he come from a close-knit good family? Tes

To me that above shows character. What you are referring to is his personality. This is where the slippery slope of racism comes from. Yes he is brash, flashy, exuberant, slightly immature (but not unlike 22 year olds) but he does not deserve the character assassinations that haters seems to bestow on him.
I really don't get what more proof the management wants from him and why Bergevin really wants the deal for 2 years. It's not like PK was asking for 4 years so that once the deal is done hee becomes a UFA.
I'm sure if Bergevin decided that he wants to sign him long term, PK would take a little discount for the team.

*sigh*

Old
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Habskrieg

Well, on TSN 690 radio, they just said Habs offered 5mil for 2 years...

I don't know anymore Just sign this guy already!

Old
01-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post

As in, 5 mil per, or the rumoured 5 mil over the duration?

Old
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post

Well don't expect him to sign if they keep lowballing him like that. (If it's true of course)

Old
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

PK doesn't have to pay because of the management change. Molson is still there and know everything that is going on. Carrière was there before. Allard was there before, Groulx as well. Players were there before. Therrien CLEARLY know things from some of his pals, same with Bergevin. But then your bold part is great. Don't you get that what we're doing right now is doing our best to get the cheapest return possible? And 5 M$ for a players like that, other teams will "overpay" for it if he brings it in the ice. And he did. Still does. And will be doing. If you give him a 2-year contract and then have to move him during that contracts because he's soooooo disruptive, well other teams will also see it. And if they take him, they'll know that he'll be UFA in 2 years after that contract. So they will eventually have to overpay him anyway to buy his UFA years.
My point is that the people that were in the organisation last year probably said things that create doubts in the mind of Bergevin and Therrien. Therrien was on rds last year and had the same opinion on Subban then the others. Great player but he should learn to take his place and need to gain maturity.
If we sign him for 2 years and he is so disruptive or decline. We can move him and his value will diminish for the ufa contract. If we sign him for 5m$ 5 years and he turn out to be a problem, then we won't even be able to trade him.

Dion Phaneuf is an exemple of what Subban could become. After his elc, Calgary signed him for 6 years 6.5$m$ per year. He only had 2 good seasons out of 5 during that time.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
coolasprICE

Ok guys, well looks like the @GMolsonCHC #signsubban is spreading faster than chicken pox in a village full of drunks

IF you have a twitter account, what is holding you back? Let Habs nation voice be heard

All you have to do is tweet: @GMolsonCHC #signsubban

Old
01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
redbeard7737

5 mil over 2 years? or per year for 2 years? if its 2.5 per year, bergevin is going to have a stud dman demanding a trade soon...kid is worth 5 easy...as a bruins fan, i hope he is moved!

Old
01-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Roulin

I suggest adding "Habs offer 5.1mil over 2 years per Dreger and Lavoie" to the subject line, as it keeps being questioned or posted every couple of pages.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I suggest adding "Habs offer 5.1mil over 2 years per Dreger and Lavoie" to the subject line, as it keeps being questioned or posted every couple of pages.
I am not sure Mods are keen to put rumors as threat titles

Old
01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
5 mil over 2 years? or per year for 2 years? if its 2.5 per year, bergevin is going to have a stud dman demanding a trade soon...kid is worth 5 easy...as a bruins fan, i hope he is moved!
Watch the Bruins get all the Subbans in a few years.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
That's what they said, word per word. And that's all they said. I wish I knew... I'm just fed up of all this.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
All the GMs are smelling blood in the water.

Bergevin is going to lose a lot of trades if he lets his stubbornness pry Subban from Montreal.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Both journalists were reporting the offer as news, not a rumor.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
$5.1M over the duration.

RenLavoieRDS:
French Renaud had it right. Canadiens offer to PK Subban, 2.2 million first year, 2.9 for next season.

https://twitter.com/renlavoierds/sta...81894469955584

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I think it's more than a rumor at this point... Renaud Lavoie is very reliable. Doesn't report things unless it's true. He was incredible during the lockout.

01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't know how any one can think that is a reasonable offer. This makes me insanely scared about the future of this team with Bergevin at the helm.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I think it's more than a rumor at this point... Renaud Lavoie is very reliable. Doesn't report things unless it's true. He was incredible during the lockout.
Lavoie is probably one of the Montreal media sources I trust the most...which is why this is so worrying.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
yianik

I hate this. Personally I would like the 2 year deal, but I dont want to lose this kid. I thought of it like this, which would I regret more. We sign PK to say $33.0M for 6 years, it sounds to be where PK might be, and he plays a mix of his past 2 years. Or, we trade him and say we get back Bobby Ryan and Ryan plays like Ryan for the next 4 years and nets 30-35 goals a year, and PK turns into one of the top 5-7 d-men in the league, which means he gets 45-55 points a year, quarterbacks the PP, plays a sound defensive game and hits and plays with an edge and charisma or attitude. I keep him.

Closed Thread