HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

(NHL Replacements)

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2005, 08:03 PM
-PrO-B1-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
(NHL Replacements)

Would you watch replacements just to get NHL hockey back?

Old
03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-
Would you watch replacements just to get NHL hockey back?
I would love for the project to fail miserably and the owners while they deserve to run profitable business need the stars or the NHL to survive as well..

Breaking down the strong most profitable popular teams for the survival of the weak is a Bettman CYA and terrible path to take the NHL down .. IMO

Calling them auto workers, insulted them as being interchangable assembly line workers ..

It large cities you will have some interest but I can't wait to see Bettman USA team try to make this fly with AHL and ECHL players ..

Old
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
As shocking as this will sound!!!!
I honestly dont think even Bettman is stupid enough to try it.
But if he does i'll be watching as much of them as i am the true NHLers this season.

Old
03-07-2005, 10:33 PM
emillie

A lot depends on how many NHL'ers "cross" and play with the replacments.

In a lot of polls (at least ones talked about TSN and Fan) a lot more fans support the owners then the players, a lot of hardcore fans may support replacements just out of spite.

And last, in a lot of USA markets do you think the fans would know the difference between the regular NHL'ers and Replacements NHL'ers?

Old
03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie

In a lot of polls (at least ones talked about TSN and Fan) a lot more fans support the owners then the players, a lot of hardcore fans may support replacements just out of spite.
Theres a big difference between clicking a vote here button on your computer and reaching into your wallet to spend your hard earned money.Plus consider that many seats and boxes are purchased by corporations to entertain themselves and their wealthy clients,*its the thing to do and the place to be* but offering C grade level hockey to the who's who of the business world would be akin to offering them a night out at the monster truck challenge or mud wrestling.
Not likely to impress anyone IMHO.

Old
03-07-2005, 11:03 PM
emillie

leaflover: I think you are forgeting a few things. 1) In Toronto the hockey game is the place to be, in most other cities its the basketball, baseball or football games, its the hardcore hockey fans that support most US teams. In Toronto of those corporations let their seats go (which I doubt any of them will) I will guarentee you there will be enough fans there to fill each and every one. 2) Replacements games will not cost as much as "real" NHLer games so paying money to see them won't be as huge a burden for the fans. 3) Hockey fans are mad at the owners and I think spite will really play a part for a lot of fans to support a team.

Obviously very few, if any team, will do as well with replacements but I think they will do well enough.

Old
03-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
As shocking as this will sound!!!!
I honestly dont think even Bettman is stupid enough to try it.
But if he does i'll be watching as much of them as i am the true NHLers this season.
I believe that you are underestimating Bettman's stupidity...this is the same man who brought NHL hockey to states that have never seen snow after all...

Old
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
leaflover: I think you are forgeting a few things. 1) In Toronto the hockey game is the place to be, in most other cities its the basketball, baseball or football games, its the hardcore hockey fans that support most US teams. In Toronto of those corporations let their seats go (which I doubt any of them will) I will guarentee you there will be enough fans there to fill each and every one. 2) Replacements games will not cost as much as "real" NHLer games so paying money to see them won't be as huge a burden for the fans. 3) Hockey fans are mad at the owners and I think spite will really play a part for a lot of fans to support a team.

Obviously very few, if any team, will do as well with replacements but I think they will do well enough.
Point #1.
NHL calibre hockey is the *thing* in Toronto.There are already many inferior brands available at much cheaper prices and the baby leafs will be joining those ranks next year as an additional option.
Point 1a
Corporations purchase luxury boxes and suites to impress both themselves and their wealthy clients/associates.Offering C grade hockey to people you're trying to impress would be like offering them coupons for Big Mac's and fries or 2 for 1 pizza.Insulting to the high rollers rather than satisfying.
Point 2
Irrelevant unless they charge prices equal to the existing inferior brands already available.There would be an initial curiosity/rebellion fan base but longterm viability is extremely doubtful.
Point 3
Basically the same answer as point 2.Though i assume you mean fans are mad at the players as opposed to the owners.The novelty will wear off and like i said before,its much much easier to display your spite by a free click on a computer poll button than it is to do it with your money.

Old
03-07-2005, 11:29 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
I believe that you are underestimating Bettman's stupidity...this is the same man who brought NHL hockey to states that have never seen snow after all...
Busted!!!!!!!!
I lied and you caught me,should of known i wouldn't sneak that past the almighty.

Old
03-08-2005, 06:53 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

In Toronto the support won't matter. People may not attend the games but the tickets will still be purchased. Myself, I won't give up my tickets. If I do I know I'll never get them again. I'll use the tax write off, give them away or attend a few but not purchasing isn't an option.

Old
03-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Charge_Seven

I'd watch, because I'm a Leafs fan. However, I am a very proud player supporter, so I'd be unhappy about watching. lol

Old
03-08-2005, 10:22 AM
balddog66

I'm quite sure any replacement players would put the "NHL" at a skill level lower than the AHL, so why bother...might as well watch the AHL...

Closed Thread