HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version II

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 100
Since before the season began I've really gotten the sense ownership wants to tank. It's a 48 game Sched in which they've already sold out every game (Pretty much). They're icing two pretty brutal goalies and a young inexperienced team that they probably don't expect much from. I fully expect depth players to be moved for futures, and they get their franchise saving star, and get leaf land out of it's pessimistic outlook. At least in theory..

Old
01-28-2013, 12:24 AM
leugangen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Granlund is way overrated IMO.
What.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
What.
Good skillset. Undersized. Will be a good player, for sure, but I think he's overrated. Not saying he's not good, I just don't think he's as good as most people think he is.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I got it!

Trade Kessel for some future studs. Tell him that we'll buy him unlimited cookies for the rest of his life if he walks from said team and signs with us as an UFA

Free blue chip prospects!

Old
01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Cool Hand Luke

I would defintely move Kessel, and I would all of my will behind signing Perry in the off-season to replace him. Definitely a win-win if we could pull it off. I think Kessel would thrive on a team that already has a future star. I would also avoid trading him to a team in the East.

St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Chicago, Colorado or Edmonton are options in my opinion.

What could we get from these teams and how possible is it for them cap-wise?

St. Louis

T.J Oshie + Ty Rattie - St. Louis definitely has the cap space! T.J. Oshie could slot in as first line center, Ty Rattie becomes our most valuable forward prospect. Kessel replaces Oshie in St. Louis (as he is playing RW this year).

Minnesota

Mikael Granlund/Charlie Coyle + Cal Clutterbuck + 1st - Gives us our future first line center, an amazing young hit-machine, and a late first.
Problem: Minnesota would not be able to fit in his salary, and definitely would have a tough time re-signing the dude. We would likely have to take Heatley back, which is not ideal.

Dallas

Radek Faska + Brett Richie - Gives us our future first line center, and a big RW forward prospect with upside. Dallas could definitely take on his salary. I think Kessel would do amazingly well in Dallas beside Benn.

Chicago

Mark McNeil + Brandon Saad - Same as Dallas. Chicago would have a very hard time with salary though, especially the idea of re-signing him. Can you imagine that top six though? Probably not the best fit because the RW spots taken by Kane and Hossa.

Colorado

Ryan O'Reilly + Steve Downie - More of a quick rebuild scenario, these two would give us a first line center and a big body to replace Kessel on the wing. Would likely have to throw in Bozak, so maybe Colorado adds a pick. Colorado would be able to do it cap-wise.

Edmonton

Nail Yakupov - Basically a one for one. Not sure if Edmonton does this, Yakupov is definitely more of a complete package than Phil, however, it's still early on Nail, and Kessel is a sure fire goal scorer. He gives them a bit more of a veteran presence. Cap-wise they're OK, but I would imagine if Edmonton trades Nail, it will be for a young D-man. Maybe Gardiner + for Nail?

Of the above, I like St. Louis, Dallas and Colorado as the most realistic. I would take any of these deals.

What do you guys think?

Old
01-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Can we ban Kessel trade talks here to talk about stuff that might actually happen? This place has become a fantasy trade speculation thread.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:49 AM
SprDaVE

Nashville would probably be an option.

They were very high on Kessel and were willing to pay the same price as us for him back when we acquired him.

I still think Poile would love to add a young dynamic offensive forward to his core.

They have the prospects and would likely be willing to deal picks if they are a top team again.

To me, if there was a Kessel trade in the next couple months, they are an early favorite.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

chocolate chip prospects?

anyway.....
i'm into tanking
i'm into blockbusters for young star players

but i think it would be foolhardy to expect to sign big name UFAs
there usualy arent many, and they would go likely to a contender
i doubt Getzlaf Perry become UFAs, they probably sign in Ana or get traded and sign elsewhere

Old
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Can we ban Kessel trade talks here to talk about stuff that might actually happen? This place has become a fantasy trade speculation thread.
It's pretty cool that you have such great inside information about what is and isn't happening at MLSE. Please share more of your crystal-ball like knowledge of player movement in the future!

Old
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Cool Hand Luke, your standards for a 1st line Center are pathetically low. Especially regarding Radek Faksa. He's completely crapped the bed this year.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
It's pretty cool that you have such great inside information about what is and isn't happening at MLSE. Please share more of your crystal-ball like knowledge of player movement in the future!
I have common sense, and I'm using that to infer who is available and who is not. The onus is on you to show us that there is some insider talking about Kessel being available.

Why don't we talk abut Malking + Crosby being available since no one here has inside info to prove you wrong.

Also, if you were following Nonis at all in the past couple weeks, you would have known that he is not blowing this team apart AKA not trading our best younger players. And honestly, why the **** would he trade a $ for 4 quarters?

Doesn't take an insider to see Kessel being traded is one of the dumbest things we can talk about here.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:24 AM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I have common sense, and I'm using that to infer who is available and who is not. The onus is on you to show us that there is some insider talking about Kessel being available.

Why don't we talk abut Malking + Crosby being available since no one here has inside info to prove you wrong.

Also, if you were following Nonis at all in the past couple weeks, you would have known that he is not blowing this team apart AKA not trading our best younger players. And honestly, why the **** would he trade a $ for 4 quarters?

Doesn't take an insider to see Kessel being traded is one of the dumbest things we can talk about here.
To be fair be dumbest idea around here is the one where kessel & Phaneuf are the top line rw & 1st pairing D on people's line up that consider those line ups "contenders"

Old
01-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
To be fair be dumbest idea around here is the one where kessel & Phaneuf are the top line rw & 1st pairing D on people's line up that consider those line ups "contenders"
Kessel and Phaneuf are top pair caliber players. They are just not the type who can carry the line (Chara/Getzlaf). You give Phaneuf another bonafide top 3 D, and Kessel someone to work the boards, and you will see them succeed.

A couple bad games don't change that.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:29 AM
The Big D

That being said, you don't move Phil for a quantity trade, but I would move him in a number of "packages" the Minnesota one is a good idea, and a Nashville package containing Wilson, Ellis and a pick would be a start too. Resigning PK to a $8Mx8 kind of deal is not in the best interest of this team going forward. We need to find our anchors.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
The Big D

Then find the other top pairing Defender & bonafide 1C without gutting the future. I just see both of their contract status/age/ability not lining up with the rest of our roster. Move them before they can't be, asset management was previous regimes biggest faults, I say no more.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Cool Hand Luke, your standards for a 1st line Center are pathetically low. Especially regarding Radek Faksa. He's completely crapped the bed this year.
True. Maybe Dallas doesn't have the pieces. I don't really buy into the whole "1st line/2nd line" thing anyways. I am of the belief that a more balanced offense is what wins you Stanley Cups.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I would defintely move Kessel, and I would all of my will behind signing Perry in the off-season to replace him. Definitely a win-win if we could pull it off. I think Kessel would thrive on a team that already has a future star. I would also avoid trading him to a team in the East.

St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Chicago, Colorado or Edmonton are options in my opinion.

What could we get from these teams and how possible is it for them cap-wise?

St. Louis

T.J Oshie + Ty Rattie - St. Louis definitely has the cap space! T.J. Oshie could slot in as first line center, Ty Rattie becomes our most valuable forward prospect. Kessel replaces Oshie in St. Louis (as he is playing RW this year).

Minnesota

Mikael Granlund/Charlie Coyle + Cal Clutterbuck + 1st - Gives us our future first line center, an amazing young hit-machine, and a late first.
Problem: Minnesota would not be able to fit in his salary, and definitely would have a tough time re-signing the dude. We would likely have to take Heatley back, which is not ideal.

Dallas

Radek Faska + Brett Richie - Gives us our future first line center, and a big RW forward prospect with upside. Dallas could definitely take on his salary. I think Kessel would do amazingly well in Dallas beside Benn.

Chicago

Mark McNeil + Brandon Saad - Same as Dallas. Chicago would have a very hard time with salary though, especially the idea of re-signing him. Can you imagine that top six though? Probably not the best fit because the RW spots taken by Kane and Hossa.

Colorado

Ryan O'Reilly + Steve Downie - More of a quick rebuild scenario, these two would give us a first line center and a big body to replace Kessel on the wing. Would likely have to throw in Bozak, so maybe Colorado adds a pick. Colorado would be able to do it cap-wise.

Edmonton

Nail Yakupov - Basically a one for one. Not sure if Edmonton does this, Yakupov is definitely more of a complete package than Phil, however, it's still early on Nail, and Kessel is a sure fire goal scorer. He gives them a bit more of a veteran presence. Cap-wise they're OK, but I would imagine if Edmonton trades Nail, it will be for a young D-man. Maybe Gardiner + for Nail?

Of the above, I like St. Louis, Dallas and Colorado as the most realistic. I would take any of these deals.

What do you guys think?
We are in absolutely no position to care where in the NHL Phill gets moved to, all teams should be on that list ALL.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
We are in absolutely no position to care where in the NHL Phill gets moved to, all teams should be on that list ALL.
Plus out of those teams, the only enticing off is the St Louis package. Oshie is a great young player and I'm not certain St Louis would even want to give him up. Frankly I find the other packages to be a bit underwhelming.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

What the Leafs should do to fix this is...

....Actually I have no idea how to fix this.

All I can say is good luck Nonis.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Phil Kessel has likely 10 more years at top line play. Why don't any of you consider building with him. We need 2 or 3 pieces to get to contention.

#2D, #1G, #1C. Very important pieces, but to move Kessel for a 1C means we are in a position that we've been in before, a 1C without a top line caliber line mate. We were lucky Sundin had enough strength and skill to carry a line so often.

If we start moving out established top line pieces like Kessel and Phaneuf for futures we will be adding another 5 years to the rebuild. The only other piece we have that's of that caliber is Rielly, and that's if he can learn better defensive coverage.

I believe Nonis and MLSE see it this way as well, thank god.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Plus out of those teams, the only enticing off is the St Louis package. Oshie is a great young player and I'm not certain St Louis would even want to give him up. Frankly I find the other packages to be a bit underwhelming.
He's older then Kessel!! He's never scored more then 54 pts.

WTF??!!

Old
01-28-2013, 11:20 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
What the Leafs should do to fix this is...

....Actually I have no idea how to fix this.

All I can say is good luck Nonis.

haha it's too true.

- Suck this year, get a top 3 pick (It's going to happen). Hope to god you can draft MacKinnon.
- Trade Macarthur for whatever you can get at the deadline. Hope the 1st is still on the table from last year (doubtful).
- Lupul misses 3/4ths of the season.
- Leave Gardiner in the A for a few weeks to get back to 100%
- Throw the MOON at Getzlaf. 7 years, $8.5M. Who gives a crap he'd be overpaid by $1-1.5M. What's $1M when we are DYING for a number 1 center.
- Do whatever it takes to get a REAL good 2-way d-man who can play with Phaneuf on the top pair. A Brad Stuart type.
- Play the heck out of Kulemin/Komarov/Frattin/Kadri.
- Pray Rielly is ready next season.
- Trade Connolly for a pick.
- Try your hand at a Jonathan Bernier in the summer. He may not be the answer, but he's young, loads of potential, can grow with the team and if he fails you aren't married to the guy.
- Possibly trade Liles (depends a lot of Rielly and who we get as a good Dman I just suggested)

Come back next year with Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Rielly, a good Dman, Bernier and a healthy Lupul/Gardiner.

We won't be fixed but we'd be in a better spot.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I feel like doing a fantasy complete team blow up .. Hmmm

Old
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
haha it's too true.

- Suck this year, get a top 3 pick (It's going to happen). Hope to god you can draft MacKinnon.
- Trade Macarthur for whatever you can get at the deadline. Hope the 1st is still on the table from last year (doubtful).
- Lupul misses 3/4ths of the season.
- Leave Gardiner in the A for a few weeks to get back to 100%
- Throw the MOON at Getzlaf. 7 years, $8.5M. Who gives a crap he'd be overpaid by $1-1.5M. What's $1M when we are DYING for a number 1 center.
- Do whatever it takes to get a REAL good 2-way d-man who can play with Phaneuf on the top pair. A Brad Stuart type.
- Play the heck out of Kulemin/Komarov/Frattin/Kadri.
- Pray Rielly is ready next season.
- Trade Connolly for a pick.
- Try your hand at a Jonathan Bernier in the summer. He may not be the answer, but he's young, loads of potential, can grow with the team and if he fails you aren't married to the guy.
- Possibly trade Liles (depends a lot of Rielly and who we get as a good Dman I just suggested)

Come back next year with Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Rielly, a good Dman, Bernier and a healthy Lupul/Gardiner.

We won't be fixed but we'd be in a better spot.
This is what every long time Leaf fan is hoping for. I'm with you man.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
reggietfc

I miss the lockout...

Closed Thread