04-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
2013 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If this is true:

I think that the chances of a scorched earth total rebuild are pretty good.
I'm just going to say this again.

If we trade Eriksson (On an off year selling a tad bit low) I think the franchise is in a great spot going forward. I love Louie, but I'd like another winning team more.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Quote:
If this is true:

I think that the chances of a scorched earth total rebuild are pretty good.
What does that even mean?

EDIT: To be more clear, isnt the Detroit method to not rush prospects? How does selling vets now help, unless the goal is to draft Connor MacDavid.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Trade Eriksson at the draft?

Old
04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Probably cleaning house on the coaching staff and some real roster shakeup.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:33 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Trade Eriksson at the draft?
No, please stop. Why do people keep bringing this up? It's the definition of stupidity.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
No, please stop. Why do people keep bringing this up? It's the definition of stupidity.
Trading one of your best assets for the future success of the team is stupid? He's what, 27? He won't be winning with this team, and you might as well sell him in his prime.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:35 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post

EDIT: To be more clear, isnt the Detroit method to not rush prospects? How does selling vets now help, unless the goal is to draft Connor MacDavid.
IMO it means not chasing two goals ... or may favorite Heika analogy ... chasing two rabbits.

Trying to make the playoffs and getting younger hasn't worked for 5 straight years.

I think it means finally just saying we've got to blow it up ... and yeah that could mean Eriksson.

I also think it means probably not rushing guys. I think guys won't just get an NHL spot because they are a high pick.

Really ... it could mean a lot of things .... but it's probably good, and that's the way I plan on see it. I'm just going to try and be open to anything and everything. I'm really sick of mediocre.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Trading one of your best assets for the future success of the team is stupid? He's what, 27? He won't be winning with this team, and you might as well sell him in his prime.
I'm starting to lean this way, unfortunately.

Old
StarsFan74

Quote:
I'm just going to say this again.

If we trade Eriksson (On an off year selling a tad bit low) I think the franchise is in a great spot going forward. I love Louie, but I'd like another winning team more.
That would depend on whom we get in return. Loui had an off year, and hopefully with a new coach and a culture change, we should expect better things from the Stars next season.

Onto the draft!!

Old
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
We need a shakeup, and Eriksson is the only member of this team who holds considerable value. Just have more respect for others input please.

Old
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
This season is his prime? It's the definition of selling low after a bad season. Teams do it every year and then eat crow the next year when that player regresses to their mean and rebounds. It's annoying.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
This season is his prime? It's the definition of selling low after a bad season. Teams do it every year and then eat crow the next year when that player regresses to their mean and rebounds. It's annoying.
Oh come on dude, don't play stupid.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
It will hurt so bad to see him leave if it comes to that, but it's pretty silly to say it's stupid.

If Dallas does a legitimate rebuild, there's a good chance Eriksson is on the downside of his career before they are a good team. He turn's 28 this summer, and a full rebuild could see them miss at least 2 more years.

Now ... it might now if all the prospects work out ... but we all know that's no sure thing.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Equally annoying is treating any player on this roster as untouchable. Five years without the playoffs shouldn't equal job security for anyone. If the new regime thinks trading Loui is a good idea, I give them my blessing.

Upon further consideration, Dillon is the only one I call untouchable.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:41 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
We need a shakeup, and Eriksson is the only member of this team who holds considerable value. Just have more respect for others input please.
I'd say we have plenty of shakeup coming with a new GM and new coach, and any potential FA targets. This team has a lot of turnover the past few years and will have even more new faces next year. We need MORE two way players, not less.

Quote:
Oh come on dude, don't play stupid.
I get the whole "sell every asset over 25" thing, I really do. But we've seen that assets like Eriksson don't get generally get equal returns. If you're selling off Eriksson, you might as well toss Lehtonen in that mix as well, because you really are starting from scratch.

It's just annoying watching fanbases give up on the most consistent player this team has had since Lehtinen because one down 48 game season.

Old
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Equally annoying is treating any player on this roster as untouchable. Five years without the playoffs shouldn't equal job security for anyone. If the new regime thinks trading Loui is a good idea, I give them my blessing.
Of course no one is untouchable. It doesn't mean you make stupid moves for the sake of making a stupid move.

Old
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
If Dallas does a legitimate rebuild, there's a good chance Eriksson is on the downside of his career before they are a good team.
Whether Dallas does a legit rebuild or not, Lou will probably be on the downside of his career before we're good enough to compete again.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Upon further consideration, Dillon is the only one I call untouchable.
Your dislike for Benn is becoming comical.

-Vagrant
Old
04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Whether Dallas does a legit rebuild or not, Lou will probably be on the downside of his career before we're good enough to compete again.
I get that opinion, but I don't agree. Loui's game seems much less prone to breakdown than a guy like Morrow's in my opinion. We see guys like Whitney playing till 40 because they're more skilled-finesse players, similar to Loui. Whether Loui has the same dedication to fitness? Remains to be seen. But I don't think Loui's game is going to deteriorate just because he hits his 30s.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
I'd say we have plenty of shakeup coming with a new GM and new coach, and any potential FA targets. This team has a lot of turnover the past few years and will have even more new faces next year. We need MORE two way players, not less.

I get the whole "sell every asset over 25" thing, I really do. But we've seen that assets like Eriksson don't get generally get equal returns. If you're selling off Eriksson, you might as well toss Lehtonen in that mix as well, because you really are starting from scratch.

It's just annoying watching fanbases give up on the most consistent player this team has had since Lehtinen because one down 48 game season.
I haven't given up on him, he's a fantastic player and everybody knows he is. This team is utter ****, and his production showed that. He can't do much without a true #1 centering him, Benn just isn't, and never will be that.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Quote:
I get that, but at the same time we have ample wingers in our system. If we could acquire a future #1 center or even defencemen at the draft I think we should. Given that Detroit doesn't seem to rush prospects will probably result in Loui not being traded however. I just hope prospects like Chiasson won't be forced into another season in Texas.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Your dislike for Benn is becoming comical.
Because I don't consider him untouchable?

Old
04-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Whether Loui has the same dedication to fitness?
Think we already know the answer to that. Wasn't that a big issue two/three years ago? Remember Razor interviewing him about it that first year they made the trip to PEI.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:48 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
I haven't given up on him, he's a fantastic player and everybody knows he is. This team is utter ****, and his production showed that. He can't do much without a true #1 centering him, Benn just isn't, and never will be that.
Eh? Eriksson set a career high in points last year between Benn and Riberio, neither of who are true #1 Centers at this point. His failures this year were also ENTIRELY on him, not his Center. Eriksson was brutal this year because his hands turned to stone and some bad puck luck.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Because I don't consider him untouchable?
Because you'd consider a guy who most likely tops out as a 25 point #3 d-man untouchable over a 23 year old 1st line forward.

Closed Thread