Notices

Gulutzan/Jerrad Fired + New Coaching Search Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 03:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I'm looking forward to the hate Willie will get this time next year.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Piqued sort of touched on this with Nill ... characterized him as a guy with a ton of experience even though he's technically a rookie GM. I think that's the type of coach Dallas should expect. Someone that has a solid reputation in coaching, and he's got an impressive resume. I don't think that means he has to be a seasoned NHL vet though.

That means a guy like Laxdal probably isn't going to happen. I think Willie fits that description, but I'm not exactly sure Nill will be as drawn to him. I do think though he's at least a top candidate.

I know Nill has a relationship with Curt Fraser (Heika mentioned Nill was actually the one responsible for his hiring in Grand Rapids), but I don't know that I'm that impressed with his work as a head coach at any level. Plus, Fraser has only been a year, but he's technically a part of the culture. If they're doing a culture change, would he survive?

If you look at Detroit, they actually have a very versatile coach that can adapt to the team. I think that's why Babcock has been successful in Olympics, and I was impressed this season how he got the team in the playoffs despite losing a franchise player.

For those reasons, I could see Nill maybe leaning toward a veteran, versatile guy like Lindy Ruff. He coached many different styles of teams in Buffalo. I honestly think you have an opportunity where he could be like Tippett. Sure Dave lost the team in Dallas, and replacing him probably was the right move by GM Joe at the time, but he got even better at his 2nd stop. I think the same thing could happen with Ruff.

At this point .... I'm pretty much torn between Ruff and Desjardins. I couldn't be more impressed with what Willie did in Texas, and I know he's probably not going to be around next year. He'll likely be in the NHL ... with or without Dallas. Still, it's hard not to look at the success of these guys bouncing back with their 2nd NHL team ... Tippett, Boudreau, and Carlyle.

Ruff almost seems like the safer pick.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I'm looking forward to the hate Willie will get this time next year.
I'm almost willing to bet Nill will put his own guy in. I want that anyways, Willie should spend more time in Cedar Park, really work on developing our prospects.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
I don't think Desjardins will be hired. They're not going to hire the AHL coach twice in a row. I think Nill will wait till June or so to see if a few other coaches go that he might want to hire. For example, DeBoer. New Jersey ownership seems to be wanting to make a rash decision so maybe they can pluck a top 10 coach. Other wise, there's a few other candidates.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I'm almost willing to bet Nill will put his own guy in. I want that anyways, Willie should spend more time in Cedar Park, really work on developing our prospects.
Man I hope that happens, but losing him to another NHL team as their head coach won't impact Nill's decision.

I just know top AHL coaches don't stick around long. Some media were already mentioning his name this springs when coaches were talked about on the hot seat or when TB fired Boucher.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Alistar

Wouldn't mind if Dallas gave Guy Boucher a shot. I didn't quite get why he was fired in Tampa Bay, it wasn't his fault that Yzerman is not a very good GM and can't figure out how to get a decent goaltender or depth on that roster. Sometimes being given a 2nd chance can really help a coach and he really finds his groove in new circumstances. He strikes me as a better option than the other re-treads out there anyway, and probably better than picking another guy fresh out of the AHL.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Wouldn't mind if Dallas gave Guy Boucher a shot. I didn't quite get why he was fired in Tampa Bay, it wasn't his fault that Yzerman is not a very good GM and can't figure out how to get a decent goaltender or depth on that roster. Sometimes being given a 2nd chance can really help a coach and he really finds his groove in new circumstances. He strikes me as a better option than the other re-treads out there anyway, and probably better than picking another guy fresh out of the AHL.
By all accounts Boucher was a hardass and lost the veterans of his room. Might be a good option for this young team that needs some structure.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Not that I wanted to keep GUlu but I look forward to seeing everyone ***** about all the weird moves the new coach makes.
I can't wait.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

I'm pretty sure the thread title edit is premature since no official announcement has been made...

Old
04-28-2013, 07:04 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the thread title edit is premature since no official announcement has been made...
Was just about to say this. Obviously he's as good as gone, but it's still not official.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
For those reasons, I could see Nill maybe leaning toward a veteran, versatile guy like Lindy Ruff. He coached many different styles of teams in Buffalo. I honestly think you have an opportunity where he could be like Tippett. Sure Dave lost the team in Dallas, and replacing him probably was the right move by GM Joe at the time, but he got even better at his 2nd stop. I think the same thing could happen with Ruff.
Tippett lost the team? I disagree with that characterization. IMO the 2008 playoff run was an over-achievement. Then the team missed the playoffs the next year while missing one of the team's top 2 centers for thirty games. He didn't lose the team. He failed to make the playoffs once, the flailing owner was trying to make noise and hired a new GM who promptly fired Tippett. Tippett didn't lose the team, Nieuwendyk just cleaned house when he got here.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:09 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Yes please. I went to Google and came up empty. We're better than that here.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:17 PM
BigG44

RDS said Gulutzan was out ... so that maybe prompted the change, but straight from the horse's mouth, Gaglardi just told Dallas media Gulutzan had not been fired. He said all coaching and hockey ops jobs are Nill's responsibility, and he's not making those decisions.

The only thing he said he will be involved in was the hiring/firing of GM.

Now ... anyone with sense is going all in that Gully is gone. That's just the nature of a GM change in most cases. Besides most potential candidates are still coaching right now so they have to finish their season before Dallas could interview them anyway.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Gully wasn't fired, his contract was not picked up for a third year.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Yeah but he's not gone yet so we shouldn't say he is.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Gully wasn't fired, his contract was not picked up for a third year.
The absence of news isn't confirmation Think we should wait until it's official.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
The absence of news isn't confirmation Think we should wait until it's official.
That made me think of one of my favorite Boondocks scenes. Probably isn't appropriate to post here though.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:03 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That made me think of one of my favorite Boondocks scenes. Probably isn't appropriate to post here though.
I think I know which one you're talking about

Old
04-28-2013, 09:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I think I know which one you're talking about
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I don't want to get to far off topic, but Reilly telling the prosecution in the R. Kelly trial that he was, "Going to piss on your cat." May have been the hardest I've ever laughed at a cartoon.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
txdude5101

Glen Gulutzan likely to be fired

Sorry if this has been posted

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...endyk-jim-nill

Old
04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude5101 View Post
Merged

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-30-2013, 03:44 PM
tjcurrie

Say Vancouver lets Vigneault go, any interest there?

Old
04-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Say Vancouver lets Vigneault go, any interest there?
I doubt they would let him go, and then he can play Rome 24 minutes a night.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I doubt they would let him go, and then he can play Rome 24 minutes a night.
Well if they're early exits, they may.

Hey 24 minutes aint bad. That means there's 36 minutes he isn't playing. Glass half full kinda guy.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Vigneault and Fiddler on the same team? He'd never get any coaching done.

Closed Thread