Gulutzan/Jerrad Fired + New Coaching Search Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
There's nothing wrong with him at all. I just find sports reporters getting **** on by coaches to be strangely amusing.

Anyway TJ, any word on who they have their heart set on now that AV ditched?
Unfortunately at this point I don't know any more than anyone else really. My guesses are just guesses for now and are the same as everyone else's, so nobody new or exciting.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
When exactly did Tortorella go from "safe is death" to defense first mentality?
He might have changed his approach to fit his roster.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
When exactly did Tortorella go from "safe is death" to defense first mentality?
About 10 games into his tenure with NY when he realized he didn't have the personnel.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
My take on Torts:

He's like a really really strict military dad who is super tough on his kids, but loves them to death.

He wants them to be successful and will hold them accountable and yell at them if necessary, but it's all because he wants them to be successful. I'm all for whoever Nill thinks is the right choice, and if that's Torts, I can be ok with it.

Our team could use some accountability and tough love. Torts might be the right guy for the job. However, is there any way in hell that Richards would come back to Dallas if Torts was here?? Hahah
Yeah I think you have the right picture of the man. My impression is that he's a very "fair" coach who is going to reward players for good performance and punish players who consistently underachieve. If we're looking at a transition period of 3-4 years to get Dallas to cup-challenger form I think Tortorella would be one of the best guys out there to get that done. He's not a guy that works long term though because his style wears down his players after a few seasons - similar to Hitchcock and Terry Murray.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
starsfan4ever

I'd imagine Blashill will get interviewed before anyone gets hired.

Old
06-15-2013, 03:49 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
John Shannon @JSportsnet 37s
Amazing turn of events for Alain Vigneault. Was very close to agreeing with Dallas,before agreeing with NYR. #brightlightsofbroadway
https://mobile.twitter.com/JSportsne...06226901016577

Old
06-15-2013, 04:18 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 10m

#NYR Vigneault believed to have left a pretty lucrative offer on table from Dallas
So probably not a money thing. Most likely just a "contender vs. non-contender" issue.

Old
06-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
So probably not a money thing. Most likely just a "contender vs. non-contender" issue.
I'd also think location could be a big part of it. Dallas is hot as hell most of the year, not a traditional hockey market, and just doesn't have the allure of NYC.

Old
06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Can't say i blame him there.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
________

A article on Jeff Blashill.

Quote:
"The majority of it," said Jeff Hoggan, the Griffins' captain. "You keep talking about leaders, but he's the main leader. He prepares the most, keeps everyone playing at the top level. He's just really well prepared and well spoken. He says the right thing at the right time."

“Curt Fraser was a terrific coach and there are many explanations for not getting into the playoffs,” said Ryan Martin, assistant general manager of the Red Wings. “But when he left, I remember Ken (Holland) and Jim (Nill, the assistant GM at the time) talking about Jeff as the ideal coaching candidate. We just weren’t sure how he’d receive the invitation.”

“I know Jeff wants to be a head coach in the NHL someday, and I think he will,” Martin said. “But sometimes you have to go sideways a bit and gain more head coaching experience and I think Jeff realized that.”

It's also important to note he has a pretty good first-year record. Indiana won the Clark Cup in the USHL and WMU won the CCHA championship in his first seasons.
The Griffins are up 3-1 in the Calder Cup Finals, with a chance to win the Calder Cup tonight.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
i really dont understand the crap Heika gets around here.
He's ok with the "reporting" aspects of the job but when he starts "talking shop" his opinions diverge from mine about 80% of the time. That's why he gets an overall grade of B-/C+ from me. If he were a hockey player he'd be a third line winger, not really even a faceoff stud center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I'd also think location could be a big part of it. Dallas is hot as hell most of the year, not a traditional hockey market, and just doesn't have the allure of NYC.
"Most of the year"? Sure the summer gets really hot but the rest of the year is quite mild and pleasant. I think it had more to do with the other two things you said. I think he's a guy who likes the rapport with media scrums and whatnot. I can really understand that too. There are guys who prefer the Dallas situation and guys who prefer the spotlight.

Not to mention that NY has mad the playoffs recently and has probably the most consistently solid goaltender in the league.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:59 PM
________

Quote:
David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod 2h
Stars will interview Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill soon after AHL Finals are over. Syracuse beat GR 5-2 tonight, GM6 is Tuesday
link

Old
06-16-2013, 12:02 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
He's ok with the "reporting" aspects of the job but when he starts "talking shop" his opinions diverge from mine about 80% of the time. That's why he gets an overall grade of B-/C+ from me. If he were a hockey player he'd be a third line winger, not really even a faceoff stud center.

"Most of the year"? Sure the summer gets really hot but the rest of the year is quite mild and pleasant. I think it had more to do with the other two things you said. I think he's a guy who likes the rapport with media scrums and whatnot. I can really understand that too. There are guys who prefer the Dallas situation and guys who prefer the spotlight.

Not to mention that NY has mad the playoffs recently and has probably the most consistently solid goaltender in the league.
Compared with the rest of the US, especially up north, all of Texas is hot most of the year unless its a chilly winter.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:25 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Compared with the rest of the US, especially up north, all of Texas is hot most of the year unless its a chilly winter.
Well compared to the north definitely. I guess I just don't think I would consider it "hot" October-April. Summer is hot as balls though.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod 2h
Stars will interview Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill soon after AHL Finals are over. Syracuse beat GR 5-2 tonight, GM6 is Tuesday
To be honest I want an estabilshed guy as a new HC not Gulutzan 2.0.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
To be honest I want an estabilshed guy as a new HC not Gulutzan 2.0.
I'll accept Nill's choice regardless. We're going to scrutinize established guys just the same as newbies anyways.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Sounds like the Stars were really set on AV and he was their guy (not surprising). Sucks because it sounds like we got beat because he simply chose NYR over us cause we're Dallas and we are starting to be compared to Florida, Tampa and Columbus. Hopefully we can get back on top soon and players and coaches would look at us as an attractive destination like we used to be when we were a winning team.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Brand New Stars

Dallas will never be looked at like New York. For some reason certain people love that kind of atmosphere. Nice place to visit, but I personally wouldn't want to live there.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:59 AM
PezRadar
Peverley #1 Fan!

Wouldn't be surprised if NYR offered AV some sort of additional power

Old
06-16-2013, 01:04 PM
starsfan4ever

The backlash on the AV sweepstakes is kind of surprising. It sucks, but all of this talk about Dallas not being a desirable destination is hyperbolic. One of the greatest hockey minds in the sport has chosen to take the reigns here; that should count for something. NY was given a chance for a closing argument, and the wheeled out the red carpet. It's that simple. Only a handful of other jobs would have prevented him from going to NY. There's a slew of other coaches out there to be had and whoever Nill picks, I'm on board with.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:16 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Bruce LeVine ‏@BruceLeVine22 18m

What's next for the @DallasStars Head Coach search?? GM Jim Nill joins us on @dfwticket Sports Sunday at 1:15 to discuss. #TuneIn
On right now.

Nill:

Dallas has a group of Top 5 or 6 coaches, and then a 2nd group of another 5 or 6.

Plan is still to have coach in place by draft and deadline. That won't be a hard deadline though. If he needs longer, he'll take longer.

Last edited by piqued: 06-16-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: merging
Old
06-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Sauron
The Count

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Nill:

Dallas has a group of Top 5 or 6 coaches, and then a 2nd group of another 5 or 6.

Plan is still to have coach in place by draft and deadline. That won't be a hard deadline though. If he needs longer, he'll take longer.
Nill is very inconspicuous...being saying the same thing in every interview. Nothing wrong with it at all, just saying.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
I'd imagine Blashill will get interviewed before anyone gets hired.
Don't take him away from us...we will all be very sad in the Red Wings forums.

On a different note, Nill is going to build you guys a good team. He's a really good drafter, I'd feel safe with your draft picks now. He's learned from "the best in the business" so I wouldn't be surprised if he builds a good team in Dallas and your team is back on the winning track in a few years...

I just hope that the coach for that "good Dallas team" is not Jeff Blashill...

Old
06-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Captain Awesome

Maybe I am crazy in saying this, but I feel that Dallas has out-drafted Detroit in the last 4 or 5 years. I'm excited that Jim Nill gets to contribute to the powerhouse of drafting that is the Dallas Stars.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Maybe I am crazy in saying this, but I feel that Dallas has out-drafted Detroit in the last 4 or 5 years. I'm excited that Jim Nill gets to contribute to the powerhouse of drafting that is the Dallas Stars.
Maybe the last 2-3, but Glennie automatically kills our streak.

Closed Thread