HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Carlyle or Eakins? Who would you pick to run the show?

View Poll Results: Carlyle or Eakins? Maybe the New owners Rogers/Bell will see the results!
Eakins all the way 21 50.00%
Leave Carlyle in 21 50.00%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2013, 02:08 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

vCash: 500
Carlyle or Eakins? Who would you pick to run the show?

First off to start, this is NOT a fire Carlyle thread. This is too see what all you guys think is best for the team and what direction the new owners should be going in.

So, as the title says... Carlyle or Eakins? Who do you want and who does the better job with the younger players that we have. There are so many factors that come into play when trying to distinguish if a coach is right for the job. As everyone knows Carlyle did not have a good relationship with Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan the big 3 in Ahaheim. IF Getzlaf and Perry make it to UFA will they avoid signing in Toronto due to the fact that they will refuse to play for Carlyle again. Carlyle is also well known for not being a well liked coach.

Dallas Eakins has done a great job with the young Marlies. He is younger and seems to have a good relationship with the young core. Nonis also stated that he (supposably) wanted Eakins to to take the Leafs head coach job when Wilson was fired but Burke pushed to have another one of his good friends in Carlyle.

Having Eakins could also be a huge asset in attracting high profile UFA's to Toronto, with Carlyle doing the exact opposite (scaring them away just as Ron Wilson did). Eakins has and will do a better job at developing the younger players too.

At this point would it make more sense to go with the younger more respected by the players Eakins. Would it not? Who knows, maybe Getzlaf and Perry or some of the other high profile UFA's may land here this summer with Eakin's as the bench boss.

What do you guys think?

T M L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Anth93

Wait until we draft our high upside forward in the 2013 draft, then move on from Carlyle and let Eakins take the reigns.

It may be an unfair move in regards to Carlyle, but I don't there's any doubt its the right move.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Probably go with the Cup winner out of the two of them.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Wait until we draft our high upside forward in the 2013 draft, then move on from Carlyle and let Eakins take the reigns.

It may be an unfair move in regards to Carlyle, but I don't there's any doubt its the right move.
Yes, It might just be the best move for the club moving forward.

T M L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Philkessel

I like a lot of what Carlyle does however the endless line matching can be a bad thing when our top line doesnt play against their top line the rangers just play there top line for half the 3rd period and kessel loses alot of ice time.

Philkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Ed Belfour

vCash: 300
Eakins please. The man is a great coach and seems to play a much better system. We simply don't have the players to play Carlyle's system. It's basically a Ron Wilson situation all over again, but 100% defense instead of 100% offense.

Ed Belfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Aplayaz2000

yeah no disrespect to Eak but...

he hasn't coached a ****en NHL game in his LIFE
go with someone who has a record

am not saying he a horrible coach
am just saying the AHL isnt the NHL

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Erdinger

I doubt having Eakins as coach will convince any top UFA's to come here. They just don't want to play here period.

Nothing against Eakins just I don't think that would be a reason to make him the coach.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:24 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

I don't think either one is a bad choice moving forward but it's really hard to judge a coach unless your in the dressing room. It's going to be hard for any coach of the Leafs to come out looking good right now because they have a lot of holes in the lineup

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Christ

While I have nothing against Carlyle, I would have gone with Eakins to coach the team when Burke finally bit the bullet and fired Wilson. I see no reason to dump Carlyle at this point in the season however in favour of Eakins. I truely do want to see Eakins take over as the next coach of the Maple Leafs but I am willing to give Carlyle the job for the rest of the season at least before determining his fate.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Donmega

Eakins as the young guys / team future already have respect for him.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Suntouchable13

Head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs is not an entry level position.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:17 PM
4evaBlue

I'd rather have both coaches in our system, instead of just one. Carlyle in the NHL, Eakins with the Marlies.

P.S.: You should have made the poll options a little more biased.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Turk Broda

Carlyle. I think Eakins will make a great coach in the NHL. But we already have Carlyle in place. If none of the young players make any progress this year then I'd be fine getting rid of Carlyle. But the guy deserves a full season before making any conclusions.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Morlesio14*

Carlyle has too much faith in Kostka

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Federko

Thank god Carlyle is being voted in to be the coach. It restores my faith in Leaf fans. "Eakins all the way" sounds biased. What do Eakins fans honestly think Dallas can do for us? An AHL coach? He's up and coming until his first brutal NHL season ...hahaha. Carlyle is what we need right now. Teaching the young guys....implimenting systems... ex Leaf dman.... love Carlyle.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post

I disagree and feel this statement is ridiculous. I hope Carlyle gets 5, 6, 7 years and we build this team with our stanley cup winning coach.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
Carlyle has too much faith in Kostka
every coach has their favorites.... remember fingerby? aki berg?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Belfour View Post
Eakins please. The man is a great coach and seems to play a much better system. We simply don't have the players to play Carlyle's system. It's basically a Ron Wilson situation all over again, but 100% defense instead of 100% offense.
he is having a problem now that some of his good young players are not there.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
firstemperor

It's not a coaching problem on this team. It's a personnel problem. You can't expect someone to make a cup contender out of garbage.

There needs to be a culture change. And to be perfectly honest, it starts with

A) Getting rid of Phaneuf and having some accountability
B) Signing a goaltender, or at least trying to make a trade for one. Hell, Crag Anderson, Bernier, anyone. We have two AHL calibre goalies in net right now and I refuse to believe that we can't find a better alternative on the market.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
416Leafer

One thing ill point out.

Look at the years where Carlyle didnt have both Niedermayer/Pronger. It doesnt take a great coach to have a good GAA and good PK when you have two of the top 5 defencemen from the last 10 years on your team. Im not saying Carlyle is bad mind you, just that his defense first reputation is a little overblown seeing as he's had below average team defensive stats in the years without the HoFers.

Eakins? Im not convinced he'd be better either, he's an unknown quantity at this level. But he does run great special teams and good team defence, even in the years where on paper the Marlies blueline didnt look super outstanding (still good, but not crazy good like what Carlyle had).

Carlyle shouldnt be fired at the moment, I do prefer him to Wilson. But i dont want to lose Eakins for nothing, he could be a great longterm coach.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote