HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Defensive issues/Fix the defense thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Ominous Grey

vCash: 500
Defensive issues/Fix the defense thread

Our defensive system sucks. It has sucked for a while and I can't stop screaming out to the television.

We NEED to hire a defensive guy. We NEED to abandon whatever hybrid zone/man-to-man system we are employing now. It is literally one of THE WORST defensive systems in the league.

The Penguins have the personell to at least be SOUND in our own zone. But time and time again, they force stupid plays.

I know it is only four games in. I get that. But this problem is only going to get worse. Ever since the '09 run, our defense has gotten progressively worse. We had a slight boost during the Michalek/Martin introduction, but these two seemingly solid additions became horrendous liabilities not long after joining our squad. Coincidence? Probably not.

I can't stand this "5-second rule" or whatever Bylsma cooked up. It forces defensemen to make STUPID decisions with the puck and not take their time looking for outlets. I understand that he wants to limit time in the defensive zone, but treating puck possession like a game of hot potato is no way to run a NHL club.

The latest testament to our stupidity in our own end is the throwaways of Strait and Michalek, and support of players like Lovejoy. It's obvious that this organization has a near obsessive compulsion to reward "puck-movers"...at the expense of everything else.

Changes HAVE to be made, because if the circus of a playoff series last year proved anything, it's that our defense needs an overhaul. Anything less is entirely unacceptable.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
spcastlemagic

I know all too well about yelling at the TV... this is the same team that gave up 30 goals to Philly. Nothing has changed. Onus is on Shero now to do something about that.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Somehow this defense has gotten worse since April 2012. It's on Shero as of now, he needs to fix it.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Pigs On The Wing

It's ridiculous that getting the puck out of our own zone is such a mammoth undertaking with the way this team stresses quick transition and puck-moving defenders. Turnover after turnover.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:15 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Orpik's decline doesn't help.

I still don't understand trading Z. He was maybe our most reliable d-zone dman.

Would rather of kept Z and Strait and let go out Orpik and Lovejoy.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
PensFanSince1989

The Michalek trade made zero sense. Absolutely zero.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

I'm ok with the defensive personnel, but the forwards are so bad defensively Nick Lidstrom could be anchoring your D and you'd have problems. The forwards are so ****ing irresponsible with the puck. They aren't forcing turnovers and they aren't blocking shots. The Defensemen have no help.

The Pens were dead last in takeaways last season and they're mediocre this year. They miss a ton of shots which doesn't help.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Shockmaster

Guys, while I agree the Pens need another top 4 d-man, it's mostly been the forwards that have been causing the problems. They continue to make blind passes in their own zone and try to make pretty east-west plays in the neutral zone instead of keeping it north. Bylsma putting Kennedy and Cooke on their off-wings for the Jets game didn't help in that regard. It's much harder to get the puck out of your own end when a player is on their off-wing, and it showed tonight.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers... Falls on the players to make better decisions with the puck because I don't think a system change will make their terrible decision making better.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

It's the same defense as last year, well not exactly Lovejoy plays even if everybody is healthy...

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Its more about team defense but yeah its pretty bad.

The Pens are middle of the road in a lot of ways. Defensively being one of them.

The shame of it is all the stress put on defense by the Pens brass during FA time and at the draft. Whats all of that really done?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

They're a puck possession team that doesn't force turnovers, doesn't block shots, and commits turnovers. That's like being a doctor that hates the sight of bodily fluids.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Pancakes

Our defensive end play was fine tonight. It's the turnovers in the offensive and neutral zone that are *killing* us.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

Careless plays by the forwards. We don't have the goal scoring depth to come back in games late if Sid/Geno/Neal can't put one in.

Way too many stretch passes picked off by Winnipeg.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Griffin6612

Its got to be a coaching thing. Look how well we played D with out Crosby and Malkin, then suddenly Martin and Z and the rest of our D fall off the face of the earth

Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shockmaster

The team lacks discipline. They too easily get suckered into firewagon hockey, even when they're up 2-0.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
cheesedanish87

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...11017535131648

Just don't the Penguins contending for a Cup with its current group of defenseman. They have to make a move if possible.

This is the same def that was terrible last year and they basically did nothing to change it. I guess shero and DB thought it was magically gonna get better this year. What a joke

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:42 PM
gordie

No coaching authority over these players, they just seem to do what they want including not showing up for a period if they want to

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:42 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
The team lacks discipline. They too easily get suckered into firewagon hockey, even when they're up 2-0.
Too many times I saw forwards leaving the zone before the play was broken up. Same **** from last season.

It's on coaching at this point.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...11017535131648

Just don't the Penguins contending for a Cup with its current group of defenseman. They have to make a move if possible.

This is the same def that was terrible last year and they basically did nothing to change it. I guess shero and DB thought it was magically gonna get better this year. What a joke
It's like Shero put all his money on Suter and when he missed out he didn't have backup plan.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

TOnight wasn't totally on the D. We gave away more pucks (our forwards did) in the offensive zone than any other time (with this group of players) that I can remember. They were literally passing the puck right to the other team. They didn't even have to fight to get it.

I think Bylsma got 100% owned tonight by the Winnipeg coaching staff. THey gamed planned us to a T and it worked. They knew our setup and their players were always in the right spots, waiting for the giveaway. Tops it off by pulling the goalie down by 1 with 1:40???? ****ing stupid. NO reason to pull the goalie until about 40 seconds left.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Our defensive end play was fine tonight. It's the turnovers in the offensive and neutral zone that are *killing* us.
Are you sure about that?

I can remember seeing quite a few turnovers in our own zone.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Talent isn't this teams problem, coaching is. Lack of discipline, unmotivated, nonexistent adjustments and giveaways galore. In general there seems to be a total lack of basic fundamentals. I don't think any amount of talent will help this team until the coaching staff is replaced.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Ominous Grey

Literally, I started a drinking game tonight called "stretch pass". Everytime a failed or ill-advised stretch pass is taken, you drink. Drop passes apply too.

You can get blitzed in a period. Seriously.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Penguinzilla

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Every defenseman on the team gets worse every year since Bylsma has taken over. How good were Martin and Michalek when they first got here? They were 2 of the best in the league. I'll be curious to see how Michalek does now that he's away from Bylsma's system. Orpik is average. Letang looks like Ian Moran defensively. Lovejoy blows. Niskanen is sadly probably our best defenseman, probably because he hasn't had enough time to be corrupted yet. Where was Depres? Why play Lovejoy? What's the point? Engelland is terrible.
But I don't think the players are bad... it's whatever the hell "system" Bylsma has implemented.
Maybe when they won the Cup the system was simpler. I have no idea. Now he's just making players worse. Ray "everything is going to be alright" Shero needs to fire him.
There's absolutely no way this team can win in the playoffs.

I'll probably regret this post in the morning, heh

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote