HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Flyers vs Panthers 1/26/12

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Doesn't fit DT's drafting methot, and we have enough small flashy players already. We need a big reliable two-way center with playmaking skills, to which Barkov fits perfectly.

The only reason why scouts aren't considering him at #1 is because he isn't a good old' Canadian boy and doesn't play in the CHL.

Playing with men, and we aren't talking about a beer league, 41 games 18 goals 21 assists and 39 points. Only 4 PIM, +14 and 7 PP-goals.

No one can ignore those stats. No one. Whoever from 3-10 ends up getting him will get a huge steal.
Do you mean in the same way as Mattias Nørstebø (norwegian d-man, 17 year old) that has played 10 SEL games this year and isnt even ranked on scouts lists?

I'd take MacKinnon any day over Barkov though. And I wouldn't really call small? 5'11 and 179lbs, I would say that is pretty okay size. God, I hope we can draft him.

Think of this:

Huberdeau - Bjugstad - MacKinnon

Old
01-27-2013, 11:29 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
How did Hubs, Shore, and Mueller look? It looked like they had a good game according to the highlights on NHL.com.

We really need to get a finisher/legit goal scorer to play with Hubs. He's got elite vision and the ability to set people up every game for a HQ scoring chance.
Hubs goes to the net has great hands but he is so weak on his skates. In the defensive zone last night he had the puck and was trying to skate it out and got bumped went down and turned it over.

I thought the line looked better with shore than Kovelev. He seems strong on his skates, defensively responsible but he's played just a couple games he's going to screw up just part of learning curve. Mueller looks ok always goes all out decent speed but the only flow is his hair. There is no chemistry its like Dineen said in his presser the team looks like a bunch of guys playing their style instead of a team playing together in one direction. He's the coach so he needs to figure out in a hurry without a lot of practice time how to get it fixed. Would think they players would be receptive to anything can't imagine they enjoy being humiliated like last night.

I want to give the team a chance to gel but they really need to clean it up they keep making stupid correctable mistakes and the effort is horrible at times.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
I just don't see MacKinnon as good as a fit as Barkov for this team. We already have one potential superstar in Huber, solid young future d-core with Guds & Kulikov & Petrovic & possibly Matheson and Markie is the future in goal.

What we need is a guy that can shutdown the opposing teams stars, win faceoffs, physically just dominate because of his size and feed the puck to Huber. On the offense, MacKinnon will probably have more succees, but Barkov has almost that same potential with more size and good defensive skills.

Yakupov played in the CHL. There's no way he would have gone number 1 if he played that season prior to draft in the KHL.

Barkov is one point away from becoming the youngest player ever in league history to record 40 points in a season. He will never have the goal scoring touch of Selanne, but there's so much more to Barkov's game than just the points he puts up, which can't be said on Selanne's part.

Teemu was 22 when he left for the NHL. Sasha would have to play another 4 seasons back home to reach that age, and he's already played 2 (if you count in this season). The kid is something special.

This is really pointless since we're never going to win the lottery, even if the team ended up dead last.
It's silly to be having a discussion about a #1 overall draft pick and say that we already have the potential offensive dynamo, that it's now time to move toward a solid, well-rounded, defensively sound center also with good offensive potential. As great as Huberdeau was in juniors, he has his question marks and there's no guarantee that he turns out to be a "superstar," plus it's silly to say we already have enough future superstars when we don't even have one guy outside of Huberdeau on the NHL roster with even above-average 1st and 2nd line ability. MacKinnon, despite the WJC, looks like he's the next Crosby. Not as amazing, but still excellent talent. If you're drafting at 1 or 2 as the Panthers, it isn't time to look for the safe, all-round guy who fits the best into the system. You need to be looking at who's got the most elite potential and who has the ability to be a top notch superstar in the league. Bjugstad is similar to what you're describing in Barkov. We need top end scoring more than we need anything else at this point, so I couldn't see us passing on MacKinnon, if available.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I just don't see MacKinnon as good as a fit as Barkov for this team. We already have one potential superstar in Huber, solid young future d-core with Guds & Kulikov & Petrovic & possibly Matheson and Markie is the future in goal.

What we need is a guy that can shutdown the opposing teams stars, win faceoffs, physically just dominate because of his size and feed the puck to Huber. On the offense, MacKinnon will probably have more succees, but Barkov has almost that same potential with more size and good defensive skills.
How is MacKinnon not a good fit for this team? He's an offensive dynamo, and we need offense. He could line up at RW alongside Bjugstad and Huby, that would be amazing. When you draft #1 overall, you pick the best player. End of story. You don't draft a player who suits a particular style that you want. Besides, the potential player you describe in Barkov, we have that in Bjugstad.

I also disagree that Barkov has almost as much offensive potential as MacKinnon. With Mac's pure goal scoring touch, elite skating ability, and being a complete player, he could be a player similar to Stamkos. At best, Barkov will be a poor man's Kopitar, and he has to improve his skating a lot to get there.

Quote:
Yakupov played in the CHL. There's no way he would have gone number 1 if he played that season prior to draft in the KHL.
This is baseless and I don't know why you feel that way. The best prospects always go #1. Stefan went #1. Ovechkin and Malkin went 1-2. There are others I'm sure, but I don't think I need to go any further.

Quote:
Barkov is one point away from becoming the youngest player ever in league history to record 40 points in a season. He will never have the goal scoring touch of Selanne, but there's so much more to Barkov's game than just the points he puts up, which can't be said on Selanne's part.

Teemu was 22 when he left for the NHL. Sasha would have to play another 4 seasons back home to reach that age, and he's already played 2 (if you count in this season). The kid is something special.

This is really pointless since we're never going to win the lottery, even if the team ended up dead last.
I know there is much more to Barkov's game than just points, but the point is his numbers are somewhat inflated compared to young FEL stars of the past. That doesn't mean he isn't a terrific young player, but he's not a better prospect than MacKinnon or Jones.

We won the lottery three times, I don't know why people always say we'll never win...

Old
01-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
How did Hubs, Shore, and Mueller look? It looked like they had a good game according to the highlights on NHL.com.

We really need to get a finisher/legit goal scorer to play with Hubs. He's got elite vision and the ability to set people up every game for a HQ scoring chance.
Huby looked the best since opening night, he made a great cross crease pass to Flash, he couldn't finish. Shore was probably the best forward, Howden looked good for his NHL debut, fastest skater on the ice in his limited playing time. Mueller probably played his best game, he was dangerous.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
When you draft #1 overall, you pick the best player. End of story.
I could be wrong, but how is that not Seth Jones in this case?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:21 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Wow really? I hardly think this is Dineen's fault.
The coach should be blamed when a team plays as bad as we have.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I could be wrong, but how is that not Seth Jones in this case?
It's either Jones or MacKinnon depending on who you talk to. I'd take the forward. I think if MacKinnon hits his ceiling he's Stamkos, and in Jones' case a better skating Shea Weber. You can't go wrong with either, but I'd take Mac.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
The coach should be blamed when a team plays as bad as we have.
Yeah, I was just going to come in and respond to that as well. With how awful we've been, Dineen and his coaches should get some blame. It's their job to have these guys ready for battle each night and well, we've all seen that this hasn't been the case.

Just looking back at our play by periods, only 1 out of 15 have been solid.

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 01-27-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Lightning lit up the Flyers, course they had the backup in net.

01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I honestly doubt we get the first overall pick this year, the playoffs don't look that great at this point. But I never doubt Tallon and Dineen's system, it's tough to say they are okay with the team playing like this. We are playing like complete garbarge, but that doesn't erase the fact that Tallon has completely turned this team around and last year took us to the playoffs, there is a lot in store for us this year, and this is going to be the hardest year under Tallon's management because of how short it is going to be, we have time to build, and 43 other games to play, the playoffs can still happen, we just need to fix a lot of things and build up to where we were last year.

Closed Thread