HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR] Rangers sign Jason Arnott (1 year, $1.7M) (Off ,, Failed physical)

Old
01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Does it really matter to you people if he's "over-paid"?

It's a ONE YEAR deal...it's irrelevant.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Adds a bit more size and skill to the bottom 6. Even if the skill is waning.
See him o. The pp creating chaos in front where he doesn't have to worry about skating.

One year deal. No big deal.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Welcome2Hell

vCash: 500
the rangers just need to sign Neil Broten and they have all 3 guys that scored a game wining cup clinching goal for the Devils

Welcome2Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:18 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

When will the Rangers stop buying every single player they can handle and just play?

Get McDonagh going and you start winning. Halpern was a steal of a sign but just stahp, you're making us all look bad

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Does it really matter to you people if he's "over-paid"?

It's a ONE YEAR deal...it's irrelevant.
Could easily hamper them come the trade deadline if they want to make a move and add salary in a deal. And also for the obvious reason if Arnott just flat cant play anymore

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:58 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballershotcaller12 View Post
Could easily hamper them come the trade deadline if they want to make a move and add salary in a deal. And also for the obvious reason if Arnott just flat cant play anymore
not going to be an issue this year, because everyone has cap space to burn and the trading team can now retain caphit/salary.

If the rangers want to acquire a high-paid player at the deadline, and are the highest bidder, they'll still get him.

I really dont get any criticism to this. What's the worst case scenario? Arnott is too slow and the rangers keep losing? They're already losing.

01-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Puckgenius*

boyle is a 4th line centre playing 3rd line. Hes good but better in an energy role than checking.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
not going to be an issue this year, because everyone has cap space to burn and the trading team can now retain caphit/salary.

If the rangers want to acquire a high-paid player at the deadline, and are the highest bidder, they'll still get him.

I really dont get any criticism to this. What's the worst case scenario? Arnott is too slow and the rangers keep losing? They're already losing.
I'm just trying to give a scenario where it does hurt them.

You are right about trading teams being able to retain salary. If the Rangers had a deal though for a high salary player say Iginla and Calgary had retain a good deal of his salary in a trade then it would require the Rangers to give up more compensation in the trade

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Rangerboy030

Exactly what we needed for the bottom 6; another skater who's slow as molasses.

Would've preferred Langkow any day of the week.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
The Rangers are starting to do the same thing that got them into trouble in the mid to late 90s... going into a season with high expectations, underperforming a bit, ... ? ? ?, PANIC.

I hope Sather knows what he's doing.
Signing Arnott to a 1 year deal as a depth forward is a panic move? Thats reaching a bit no?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:24 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Always liked him, good signing. One year deal won't hurt anything and he still had something to give, especially to a team like the rangers

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Staal View Post
Signing Arnott to a 1 year deal as a depth forward is a panic move? Thats reaching a bit no?
Depth is awful, haven't you heard?

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Staal View Post
pretty much, it cant hurt, Arnot scored quite a few goals last yr and used in a bottom 6/ PP role he could help. Its better than using 3 different AHL call ups over the first 3 games in Newbury, Segal, Ferrerio.

It also shifts Boyle to LW and he did well with Stepan yesterday. It gives them options too as they could have Arnott C the 3rd line or sit Halpern and have him on the 4th

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:22 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
This kind of thing makes me wonder about GM-coach communication. Arnott threw a fit in St. Louis because Hitchcock required him to put effort into practice, and then Arnott pouted and stopped working on the ice. Tortorella is a no-nonsense guy who weeds laziness out of his lineup and won't tolerate an attitude like that, even from a slow veteran. In a short season, Arnott's tank might stay full enough that this doesn't become an issue, but it seems like an odd match.
This.

Good luck with Tortorella, Arnott. I'm suprised the Canucks didn't sign Arnott myself.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:09 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Don't see him hurting us in any way, he will actually still put up some points too.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

He's been a problem child pretty much everywhere he's been, hopefully he continues that trend in NY.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's been a problem child pretty much everywhere he's been, hopefully he continues that trend in NY.
If this had been last year, I don't think attitude would've been even close to a problem.

However, the room has lost Dubinsky, Prust, Fedotenko, and Anisimov so there is a risk that some of the atmosphere that made every new player instantly buy in into the system has disappeared a bit.

But the fact that Nash has bought in 100% is at least a positive sign, and hopefully Arnott knew what would be expected of him when he signed for a Tortorella coached team captained by Ryan Callahan.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:34 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good to see Arnott sign with a team. He should provide the Rangers with a lot of veteran help.

01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
This kind of thing makes me wonder about GM-coach communication. Arnott threw a fit in St. Louis because Hitchcock required him to put effort into practice, and then Arnott pouted and stopped working on the ice. Tortorella is a no-nonsense guy who weeds laziness out of his lineup and won't tolerate an attitude like that, even from a slow veteran. In a short season, Arnott's tank might stay full enough that this doesn't become an issue, but it seems like an odd match.
Torts weeded out Redden. Somehow Redden ended up in St.Louis. It wasn't only Redden's contract. What's the dynamic between Hitch and Armstrong these days? Going by your logic. There is an issue between Torts and Slats. So there must be an issue between between Armstrong and Hitch because Redden was weeded out in NY because of non-economic issues. Torts pushed Redden in the fall of 2009 to show more and they got into a huge blow up. Redden didn't like being yelled at or being a healthy scratch. Torts didn't think Redden was a good influence in the room. The Blues should be concerned too.

Quote:
"I wasn't crazy about the room," Tortorella said after the franchise's first playoffs miss in five seasons. "I'm not indicting [captain] Chris Drury or [alternate captain] Ryan Callahan or the leadership group, but I think some people need to be weeded out.

"I'm not talking about the core players, [but] I didn't think we had a strong room and I still don't," Tortorella said. "We have work to do there. When we traded for Jody Shelley, everybody told me he had good character. We don't have enough.

"It can't be the coaches being in there all the time. The last thing I want to do is indict Chris Drury because I love the guy, but I think some guys need to be bumped out."

Tortorella did not name names, but the inference is that Wade Redden figures prominently in the conversation. Redden, who played on the third pair all season, has four years remaining on his contract at an annual $6.5-million-per-cap hit.
Read more: New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella wants a change in the team's makeup for next season - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz2JBmIw400

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
cwgatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Thank you.

cwgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:29 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Jason Arnott is ****ing terrible. Have fun while he makes your slow-as-molasses bottom six even slower and worse defensively.

Last edited by piqued: 01-27-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: qdp
struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Jason Arnott is ****ing terrible. Have fun while he makes your slow-as-molasses bottom six even slower and worse defensively.
With Carl Hagelin and Benn Ferreiro in the bottom-6, I think the speed issue was addressed. Not only that, but JT Miller will probably be called up before season's end with the way he's not only played at the WJC but in Hartford for the Whale.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
devilsrock

The Rangers love to sign x-Devil payers but it always back fires on them. lol

devilsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Why did STL re-sign Langenbrunner compared to Arnott?

I thought Arnott was better than Langenbrunner last couple of seasons.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsrock View Post
The Rangers love to sign x-Devil payers but it always back fires on them. lol
A little different circumstances then Holik/Driver/Gomez, this falls more into the Sykora type move.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote