HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl & pit:

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 04:48 AM
  #1
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Mtl & pit:

Montreal: Despres, Tangradi, 2nd Round Pick

Pittsburgh: Gionta

Bennett - Crosby - Gionta
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis/Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Dupuis/Cooke - Vitale - Glass

I proposed this on the Pens main board and got reactions such as...

"Eh. I'd rather get someone younger. Tired of getting Sid his Billy Guerins and Geno his Ruslan Fedotenkos..."

"Holy overpayment!"

and "I'd puke if Shero gave that up for Brian Gionta."


The way I look at it is The most value is in Despres & the 2nd rounder... Tangradi really has no future in the penguins organization being a top 6 player and the hope are this would be a pot sweetner to pluck Gionta out of Montreal.

Here was my other response to the "Holy Overpayment" comment...
"Perhaps slightly, but I am not trying to under value a guy in trades like 90% of HF board seem to do...

He just about hit 30 in 2010 & 2011 28 & 29 goals.

He is 34 years of age. While no spring chicken he still has about 3ish years of being very productive and still has another year on his contract after this short season.

He is the captain in MTL.

So all those things factored in I wouldn't mind paying this package one bit to MTL to get him on Sid's wing. I think he would fit in perfectly with Crosby's game.

You always have to give to get and I would be 100% fine doing this package."


Thoughts and input MTL fans?!?!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:51 AM
  #2
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,319
vCash: 500
How about no.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:25 AM
  #3
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,918
vCash: 500
Pens might finally just have enough assets to get another solid winger for the future, so I wouldn't want to use them to get Gionta who's getting up there in age. Good hockey player, but I think there's better targets for us.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:36 AM
  #4
ulysse84
Registered User
 
ulysse84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Montreal: Despres, Tangradi

Pittsburgh: Gionta to 4M. ( less 25%)

ulysse84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:49 AM
  #5
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
Doesn't do anything for the Habs unless you assume they're in full rebuild, which they're not.

Who replaces Gionta?

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:07 AM
  #6
Will Hunting
Registered User
 
Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: European Union
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
Value is probably close, but I still think itīs bad for both teams.

Pittsburgh can do better than this with those assets on TDL.
Montreal has a shot this season, they arenīt trading a captain, at least not yet.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:18 AM
  #7
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
I'd consider it depending where the habs are at the deadline. If the habs are out of it, it's a no brainer.

As for the pens, I think they could do better for that package.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:25 AM
  #8
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Sorry the current captain is not going to get traded for spares. He brings more to the team than production: leadership and class.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
  #9
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle
 
RyanBostonRedsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vermont/Montreal
Country: United States
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Tangradi hasn't proved anything. Despres.. well we have other d-men like him, and honestly no room for him if Markov stays healthy and Diaz keeps performing well. Gionta is worth more than that. If Gionta is getting traded (highly unlikely) Montreal is going to want Kunitz or Dupuis coming back.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:32 AM
  #10
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Montreal: Despres, Tangradi, 2nd Round Pick

Pittsburgh: Gionta

Bennett - Crosby - Gionta
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis/Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Dupuis/Cooke - Vitale - Glass

I proposed this on the Pens main board and got reactions such as...

"Eh. I'd rather get someone younger. Tired of getting Sid his Billy Guerins and Geno his Ruslan Fedotenkos..."

"Holy overpayment!"

and "I'd puke if Shero gave that up for Brian Gionta."


The way I look at it is The most value is in Despres & the 2nd rounder... Tangradi really has no future in the penguins organization being a top 6 player and the hope are this would be a pot sweetner to pluck Gionta out of Montreal.

Here was my other response to the "Holy Overpayment" comment...
"Perhaps slightly, but I am not trying to under value a guy in trades like 90% of HF board seem to do...

He just about hit 30 in 2010 & 2011 28 & 29 goals.

He is 34 years of age. While no spring chicken he still has about 3ish years of being very productive and still has another year on his contract after this short season.

He is the captain in MTL.

So all those things factored in I wouldn't mind paying this package one bit to MTL to get him on Sid's wing. I think he would fit in perfectly with Crosby's game.

You always have to give to get and I would be 100% fine doing this package."


Thoughts and input MTL fans?!?!
Pittsburgh would hang up. Gionta really doesn't serve a long term solution. There is too much value - Despres and a second going north for him. This doesn't make any sense for Pittsburgh.


Last edited by OCPenguin: 01-29-2013 at 08:28 AM.
OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:32 AM
  #11
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,661
vCash: 500
I doubt Bergevin trades his captain for spare parts. Will consider if way out of the playoff picture at the deadline.

Also, Pens, you aren't entitled to sick wingers for Crosby/Malkin. You have Crosby and Malkin. Can't be satsfied with that lol?

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
  #12
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,067
vCash: 500
Depends on where we are at the deadline. If things continue the way they're going right now then no chance.

If we start to collapse then yea I'd do it.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:01 AM
  #13
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,491
vCash: 500
Habs can't do this one while still competing. If the wheels fall off again this season, which is entirely possible, well, maybe... but even then, Gionta is the captain and I think the org thinks pretty highly of him. Tangradi wouldn't count for much, nor a late 2nd... it is mostly Despres of course that is of high value in the offer... but in the short- and mid-term both, the Habs probably need whatever goals and veteran leadership Gionta can provide more than another prospect D, even while they are building. I don't think this one flies in any scenario for the team, therefore. Fair offer on paper, just not a fit.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:03 AM
  #14
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,095
vCash: 500
habs say no

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:12 AM
  #15
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,154
vCash: 500
Pens say no. We aren't trading Despres for an aging winger not named Iginla.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  #16
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
I doubt Bergevin trades his captain for spare parts. Will consider if way out of the playoff picture at the deadline.

Also, Pens, you aren't entitled to sick wingers for Crosby/Malkin. You have Crosby and Malkin. Can't be satsfied with that lol?
I know you are sort of kidding but I'm tired of this argument. No, the Pens aren't entitled to anything but we have cap space and outside of Neal, pretty mediocre to poor wingers. Kunitz has been garbage thus far, Dupuis is a 3rd liner and Tanner Glass / Eric Tangradi is our 2nd line left wing. We traded away Staal so now we have the cap space and ability to build our team around our 2 superstars.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
  #17
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,128
vCash: 500
On another note, this could sound silly, but we have Palushaj who might benefit from a change of scenery. He's a great player, but there's so many wingers in Montreal..

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:56 AM
  #18
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,901
vCash: 500
stop calling Despres a spare part

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
  #19
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,534
vCash: 500
Terrible for Pit.

Gionta is not the answer.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  #20
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I know you are sort of kidding but I'm tired of this argument. No, the Pens aren't entitled to anything but we have cap space and outside of Neal, pretty mediocre to poor wingers. Kunitz has been garbage thus far, Dupuis is a 3rd liner and Tanner Glass / Eric Tangradi is our 2nd line left wing. We traded away Staal so now we have the cap space and ability to build our team around our 2 superstars.
Well there is this thing called cap space, and two of your players will eat 27.1% of it next season (64.3). Neal and Fleury eat another 15.6%. That is 42.7% of the cap on four players. If Martin sticks around, it will be 50% on 5 players. A top winger will cost another 7-8% of the cap, so you are looking at 57-58% of the cap tied to 6 players.

Add Orpik, Letang and Kunitz who count for 17.1%, and you have 74.1% of the cap on 9 players. Assuming a 20 man roster (no scratches), you have 11 players to pay at an average of $1.51M. That is a whole lot of plugs

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  #21
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,816
vCash: 500
Habs say no.

Tangradi is a bust.
Despres has been overrated and isn't that good.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
  #22
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
stop calling Despres a spare part
He's not a spare part, but its hard for Montreal to justify in the short term bringing him in. He doesn't really fit ahead of any of our current starting D ATM (maybe Boullion, but he's looked very good thus far and brings a vet presence). So in the short term Gionta is far more valuable to Montreal. In the long term? yah, you could argue it makes sense for Montreal in the long term, but if the teams competing well now then its hard to justify moving our captain (who seems to be perpetually underrated on these boards). Also, with the young defenders on the team and in the system, a guy like Despres isn't such a pressing need that it would convince Montreal to move our captain. This would only be a deal Montreal would make if they were out of the playoff picture and the decision was made to change the leadership core. I doubt that happens right now.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
  #23
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Well there is this thing called cap space, and two of your players will eat 27.1% of it next season (64.3). Neal and Fleury eat another 15.6%. That is 42.7% of the cap on four players. If Martin sticks around, it will be 50% on 5 players. A top winger will cost another 7-8% of the cap, so you are looking at 57-58% of the cap tied to 6 players.

Add Orpik, Letang and Kunitz who count for 17.1%, and you have 74.1% of the cap on 9 players. Assuming a 20 man roster (no scratches), you have 11 players to pay at an average of $1.51M. That is a whole lot of plugs
thanks for doing those extensive calculations on our cap situation. I'm sure you know more about it than any pens pens from your 10 minutes on capgeek with a calculator. We know how much money we have. We are not looking for an 8 million dollar winger. How many of those are there? Like 9 wingers that make at least 7 million? There are other options. James Neal was resigned for only 5 million and was acquired when he only got 2.85 million. Would any pens fan complain if we got a player who was even close to as effective as Neal? Prob not. We don't need to go out and grab Corey Perry, there are other options.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
  #24
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I know you are sort of kidding but I'm tired of this argument. No, the Pens aren't entitled to anything but we have cap space and outside of Neal, pretty mediocre to poor wingers. Kunitz has been garbage thus far, Dupuis is a 3rd liner and Tanner Glass / Eric Tangradi is our 2nd line left wing. We traded away Staal so now we have the cap space and ability to build our team around our 2 superstars.
What really struck me was that this entitlement comment came up in a thread with a rather fair offer for Brian ****ing Gionta. Words used to mean things back in the day.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
  #25
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
thanks for doing those extensive calculations on our cap situation. I'm sure you know more about it than any pens pens from your 10 minutes on capgeek with a calculator. We know how much money we have. We are not looking for an 8 million dollar winger. How many of those are there? Like 9 wingers that make at least 7 million? There are other options. James Neal was resigned for only 5 million and was acquired when he only got 2.85 million. Would any pens fan complain if we got a player who was even close to as effective as Neal? Prob not. We don't need to go out and grab Corey Perry, there are other options.
7-8% of 64.3M$ is $4.5M.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.