HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Spezza for Benn/Couture

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
  #1
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 500
Spezza for Benn/Couture

To Ottawa: Benn/Couture

To Dallas/SanJose: Spezza

It's a debate on the Senators board. Who needs to add and if so, how much?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
  #2
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,027
vCash: 157
Stars wouldn't do that straight up.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
  #3
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
To Ottawa: Benn/Couture

To Dallas/SanJose: Spezza

It's a debate on the Senators board. Who needs to add and if so, how much?
No way from San Jose.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
  #4
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Its a no way for two reasons:

1. We can't afford him.

2. I'd rather have Couture for 10+ years than Spezza for 3+

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
  #5
Hertl Power
Registered User
 
Hertl Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Spezza for Couture was talked brought up about a month ago and both sides value their own player more. Sens should be able to resign him until retirement when the sharks won't have that same guarantee. Couture is younger and has more years ahead of him which the sharks need if they want to continue at a high level when Thronton and Marleau decline and eventually retire. The sharks should also be able to resign him once he hits ufa status since his agent is Joe Thornton's brother.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
  #6
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,720
vCash: 500
I doubt anyone is eager to trade for Spezza on a long term injury.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
  #7
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,336
vCash: 567
No way from SJ. Spezza's the better player, but we can't afford Spezza's contract and Couture is so much younger, he's out only sub-25 y/o top-6 forward. He's not going to be traded unless it's in a package for a better young center. No dice.

Besides, Spezza is injured right now, so it makes less than no sense for a team trying to compete.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
  #8
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,011
vCash: 500
It's not terrible value but it just doesn't make sense for Dallas or San Jose.

Sens fan.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
  #9
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 500
This question was obvi asked for the pure intention of just determining value and therefore disregards his current injury.

But thanks for the input all.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
  #10
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Any trade involving Dallas cannot result in them getting older.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:54 PM
  #11
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Both Benn and Couture are much more valuable.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
  #12
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,227
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Both Benn and Couture are much more valuable.
No, they are not. From what we've seen so far, Spezza is a far better offensive player than both of them. He was 4th in scoring last year, for god's sake.

I don't understand why some Sens fans are even considering trading Spezza (thank god, they don't have the power to). He's an elite forward, and hopefully, he will stay with us for a long time.

As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
  #13
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
No from the Sharks. We need Couture's youth.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
  #14
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
Doesn't make sense for either the Sharks (cap implications) or Stars (Younger, key building block). Not that a deal couldn't be made, I just don't see the incentive for either team. That's all before Spezza's injury, which hurts his trade value.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:02 PM
  #15
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
No, they are not. From what we've seen so far, Spezza is a far better offensive player than both of them. He was 4th in scoring last year, for god's sake.

I don't understand why some Sens fans are even considering trading Spezza (thank god, they don't have the power to). He's an elite forward, and hopefully, he will stay with us for a long time.

As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.
There is a difference between being the best player, and the more valuable player.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:05 PM
  #16
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
No, they are not. From what we've seen so far, Spezza is a far better offensive player than both of them. He was 4th in scoring last year, for god's sake.

I don't understand why some Sens fans are even considering trading Spezza (thank god, they don't have the power to). He's an elite forward, and hopefully, he will stay with us for a long time.

As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.
Spezza is 29 and signed 2 years after this at 7 per.
Benn is 24 and signed 4 years after this at 5.25 per.
Couture is 23 and signed 1 year after this at 2.875 (RFA after, and he's from Ottawa)

Spezza is currently the best player, but he's also exiting his prime and suffering from chronic back issues. Benn and Couture are just entering their prime years, are cheaper than Spezza, and have no chronic injury issues.

As an Ottawa fan I'd easily trade Spezza for either one.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:05 PM
  #17
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
There is a difference between being the best player, and the more valuable player.
Indeed. This is important.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
  #18
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,994
vCash: 137
We'd have to add a lot.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:09 PM
  #19
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,832
vCash: 500
As a Sens fan, I'd do it for Benn easily. Doubt Dallas would.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:14 PM
  #20
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,227
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Spezza is 29 and signed 2 years after this at 7 per.
Benn is 24 and signed 4 years after this at 5.25 per.
Couture is 23 and signed 1 year after this at 2.875 (RFA after, and he's from Ottawa)

Spezza is currently the best player, but he's also exiting his prime and suffering from chronic back issues. Benn and Couture are just entering their prime years, are cheaper than Spezza, and have no chronic injury issues.

As an Ottawa fan I'd easily trade Spezza for either one.
I understand that, but I just don't think it's worth it to trade Spezza for them anyways. Both Benn and Couture would need to atleast replicate last season's play for one-two more seasons. Too much of a gamble, IMO.

Spezza had back issues earlier, and came back for a 84 point season last year.

Perhaps I just value Spezza more than others? That could be the case too.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:18 PM
  #21
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I understand that, but I just don't think it's worth it to trade Spezza for them anyways. Both Benn and Couture would need to atleast replicate last season's play for one-two more seasons. Too much of a gamble, IMO.

Spezza had back issues earlier, and came back for a 84 point season last year.

Perhaps I just value Spezza more than others? That could be the case too.
We just have two very different opinions. I think Spezza has been one of the better players in hockey for almost a decade, but I'm very concerned about him going forward. Entering his 30s combined with back issues make him a candidate for decreased productivity going forward.

IMO keeping him is a much riskier proposition than dealing for a 23-24 year old replacement who doesn't have his skill, but is healthier, cheaper, and plays plays an excellent 2-way game.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:26 PM
  #22
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,144
vCash: 500
Spezza has always been, and will always be, underrated. Benn and Couture will never reach Spezza's level of play. They aren't on his level of talent, and he's just putting it all together (offence and defence). Outside of his injury problems he's one of the more valuable players in the league and a top 10 centre.

Neither of those guys could come even CLOSE to a PPG with Michalek + random AHL winger especially when you consider that even Joe Thornton couldn't get Michalek to score 30 goals.

So tired of the disrespect that Spezza gets from everyone. Elite player that is way better than Couture or Benn. Would just be making our team worse and hurting the room, too.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
  #23
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Spezza has always been, and will always be, underrated. Benn and Couture will never reach Spezza's level of play. They aren't on his level of talent, and he's just putting it all together (offence and defence). Outside of his injury problems he's one of the more valuable players in the league and a top 10 centre.

Neither of those guys could come even CLOSE to a PPG with Michalek + random AHL winger especially when you consider that even Joe Thornton couldn't get Michalek to score 30 goals.

So tired of the disrespect that Spezza gets from everyone. Elite player that is way better than Couture or Benn. Would just be making our team worse and hurting the room, too.
I feel like you're underrating Couture, Benn, and the effects of both age and back problems. It would be shocking if Couture and Benn aren't the more productive players over the next decade.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
  #24
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Spezza has always been, and will always be, underrated. Benn and Couture will never reach Spezza's level of play. They aren't on his level of talent, and he's just putting it all together (offence and defence). Outside of his injury problems he's one of the more valuable players in the league and a top 10 centre.

Neither of those guys could come even CLOSE to a PPG with Michalek + random AHL winger especially when you consider that even Joe Thornton couldn't get Michalek to score 30 goals.

So tired of the disrespect that Spezza gets from everyone. Elite player that is way better than Couture or Benn. Would just be making our team worse and hurting the room, too.
Michalek didn't play with Thornton. I wouldn't trade Couture for Spezza because Couture is the more valuable player right now.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
  #25
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Spezza is 29 and signed 2 years after this at 7 per.
Benn is 24 and signed 4 years after this at 5.25 per.
Couture is 23 and signed 1 year after this at 2.875 (RFA after, and he's from Ottawa)

Spezza is currently the best player, but he's also exiting his prime and suffering from chronic back issues. Benn and Couture are just entering their prime years, are cheaper than Spezza, and have no chronic injury issues.

As an Ottawa fan I'd easily trade Spezza for either one.
Not starting anything with you, but Benn is 23.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.