HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
man i would love luongo to the Leafs, tremendous goalie but i rather tank this short season for a top 5 pick...
fair enough, there are some great kids available this year

Old
01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Linden*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Schneider
3.13 GAA
0.897 SV%

Luongo
2.21 GAA
0.917 SV%

Schneider
2W-2L

Luongo
0W-2L

Yep. That makes sense.
to be fair (and correct me if I'm wrong), but both Luongo's losses came in a SO, also Schneider still has skewed stats from the first game.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He never officially asked, in public. But I think if Schneider were removed fom the equation he would have no problem starting for us.
Disagree. The Luongo trade rumors were starting before Schneider put up monster numbers in a backup role. I think he probably wants out regardless.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
to be fair (and correct me if I'm wrong), but both Luongo's losses came in a SO, also Schneider still has skewed stats from the first game.
Regarding Luongo, a loss is a loss, whether it comes in regulation or OT.

As for Schneider, are you forgetting his sparkling effort against the Sharks? Can't reference the opener forever.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

I was thinking the same thing, Halibut. What would be interesting to see is if Luongo basically plays himself into the starting role, and then they move him. I'm not saying Schneider suddenly becomes awful, but I would be interested to see the reaction if Luongo continues to put up better numbers, and then they ship him out.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Makes sense. Of course the downside is that soon enough the Canucks will be using $5 million of a reduced salary cap on their backup goaltender. I'm sure they can find a way to do it but wouldnt that space be better spent bringing in a UFA? Other teams will be having their own issues with getting under the cap when it drops. Soon enough the situation is going to change to a point where the Canucks make their team better simply by putting Luongo on waivers and getting rid of the cap hit, that doesnt happen this season mind you but next summer it's quite possible.

Teams know that, it's a case of diminishing returns in the Luongo sweepstakes. Somebody might make a move ahead of time and give up lesser pieces in a deal but it doesnt make sense to give up anything significant now when soon enough he will be practically free.
You think it's quite possible Luongo gets waived? You don't think there's always going to be one team out there that would give up an asset of some sort for him?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Disagree. The Luongo trade rumors were starting before Schneider put up monster numbers in a backup role. I think he probably wants out regardless.
Link?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:13 AM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
You think it's quite possible Luongo gets waived? You don't think there's always going to be one team out there that would give up an asset of some sort for him?
I think anyone with a passing knowledge of the NHL understands that Luongo is not going to be waived by Vancouver any time soon.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
SoTzuMe

Quote:

As for Schneider, are you forgetting his sparkling effort against the Sharks? Can't reference the opener forever.
Did you even watch that Sharks game? Schneider's play was not what decided the game.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
But last post you said it would be better to ride both! Which one is it LL?!?! Haha.

I think they've planned out a lot of the starts already and will stick to that plan pretty faithfully. Both guys have been solid so far outside of the opener, and our coaching staff really isn't the type to make reactionary moves. Both guys are professionals. They'll both give us quality goaltending when they play, and won't complain about it when they sit. There's just no need to add more drama to the situation for the media right now, so I suspect it'll all stay behind closed doors.
If it was me, i'd treat Schnieder like a 1G. Play him in multiple starts win or lose and see what you have. Having Luongo there gives the team security if it turns out Cory isn't ready. Not the best use of Luongo, but for a team expected to make the playoffs...maybe the best move.

P.S...just because i'm a Leaf fan, not all of my posts are confrontational or trying to say Van is screwed.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Babs

Quote:

Clearly you didn't watch the game. Schneids was good the D, however was beyond horrible.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Linden*

Quote:

Disagree, a loss in a shootout still gets you 1 point.

On Cory- Let him have a decent sample size before making judgements based on Save % and GAA

Old
01-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Linden*

Quote:
Bold statement

plan to back it up with anything?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If it was me, i'd treat Schnieder like a 1G. Play him in multiple starts win or lose and see what you have. Having Luongo there gives the team security if it turns out Cory isn't ready. Not the best use of Luongo, but for a team expected to make the playoffs...maybe the best move.

P.S...just because i'm a Leaf fan, not all of my posts are confrontational or trying to say Van is screwed.
You don't really have that luxury this season, with the shortened schedule. You've got to go with the hot hand. You can't really afford to lose 5+ games figuring things out.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
blankall

Quote:
Naw Luongo is playing for his #1 spot in Vancouver.

My guess is the following happened:

1) He gave the team a very limited list of teams he'd waive his NTC for. Those teams did not provide significant offers.

2) A deal was almost worked out with Toronto, but Luongo nixed it.

3) Luongo is now doing everything he can to keep his position in Vancouver.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:
Schneider
3.13 GAA
0.897 SV%

Luongo
2.21 GAA
0.917 SV%

Schneider
2W-2L

Luongo
0W-2L

Yep. That makes sense.
Yep. Great sample size. Why don't we take it one step furthur and name this year's all-star team based on the next game? If the Rangers start Biron next game, Lundqvist will be forever known as their backup goalie? I mean just look at their stats:
Biron: SV% .950, GAA 1.95
Lundqvist: SV% .893, GAA 3.14

Pretty clear who the #1 goalie in New York is eh?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:33 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post

I think that is the plan. Schneider got 3 straight last week, and Luongo's only 2 starts have been the second halves of back to backs.

Everyone who's been posting in these threads consistently knows you ain't the confrontational type. No need to worry about that.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
Yep. Great sample size. Why don't we take it one step furthur and name this year's all-star team based on the next game? If the Rangers start Biron next game, Lundqvist will be forever known as their backup goalie? I mean just look at their stats:
Biron: SV% .950, GAA 1.95
Lundqvist: SV% .893, GAA 3.14

Pretty clear who the #1 goalie in New York is eh?
The stat comparisons are just going to continue until a deal is made. Hopefully in the interim, it doesnt have a negative effect on Schneider. The organization committed to him. Luongo played really well least night. As for Sunday's game, Im not sure what goaltender would've done any better against those 9 ft 300lb forwards San Jose had driving through the crease...

Old
01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Sure but the closer it gets to the start of next season the less any team will give up to get him. I think the talk of guys who could fit in on the second line are pretty much a pipe dream, beyond guys who are about to become UFA at the trade deadline on teams outside the playoff race and in this shortened season there will be very few of those.

So maybe a Stephen Weiss at the trade deadline if the Panthers are out of it and they havent resigned him or Mike Ribeiro from Washington but I wouldnt expect much more than that. A marginal prospect, maybe a second round pick but I dont think you'll see a first rounder involved.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Sure but the closer it gets to the start of next season the less any team will give up to get him. I think the talk of guys who could fit in on the second line are pretty much a pipe dream, beyond guys who are about to become UFA at the trade deadline on teams outside the playoff race and in this shortened season there will be very few of those.

So maybe a Stephen Weiss at the trade deadline if the Panthers are out of it and they havent resigned him or Mike Ribeiro from Washington but I wouldnt expect much more than that. A marginal prospect, maybe a second round pick but I dont think you'll see a first rounder involved.
I guess we will wait and see. But once again here we have mindless value speculation. Zero insight or sources.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Wizeman*

Luongo is currently 13th in GAA and 16th in SV %

that about as middle of the road as you can get. Average, but solid goaltending.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post

that about as middle of the road as you can get. Average, but solid goaltending.
Anyone who watched the Kings game last night, knows he's playing better than that.

The list of goalies ahead of Luongo is also half backups, who've had one lucky game. Luongo is playing considerably better than "middle of the road" right now.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
yoss

Quote:

He's played 2.3 games. Last night he was anything but average, he was lights out and that is much more typical of him.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
rune74

Quote:

Ok, if you don't watch the games or understand hockey, then you are right.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:

Pretty sure it's tough to guage a guy after such a small sample size.

Closed Thread