HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
  #576
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't even consider that. Basically an average prospect, a backup goalie, and a mediocre pick for our best goalie. Makes no sense.
Well colour me surprised. I wouldn't be thrilled about it either, but if we're dealing with Florida I doubt we get anything better than that.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
  #577
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,170
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Well colour me surprised. I wouldn't be thrilled about it either, but if we're dealing with Florida I doubt we get anything better than that.
Eh, I'm not usually one to agree with Y2K but we ought to get something with an immediate impact. Shore is a nice prospect but him being the only worthwhile piece? Rather just keep Luongo for the season.

Bourne Endeavor is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
  #578
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Lou hasn't been dealt. I think we are ALL smart enough to realize that Gillis has tried hard to deal him and Lou wants out. We are past the point of denial on those two points.

So either nobody wants the contract or the price is too high. Maybe both? Either way it doesn't seem like teams are banging down the door to acquire the aging goaltender.

Who flinches first? Gillis or some other team? I tend to think Gillis will bend eventually since Lou isn't a short term solution for any struggling team -- he's a long term commitment.

birddog* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
  #579
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah but your point was just as irrevelant because you cant prove that a new system can improve the offense if built around Luongo.

Its pretty easy to figure out if you think about it the issue in FL:

1. They have several players out with injuries, specifically 2 centers, and currently lack any chemistry as a team
2. The defense is made up of some older players (Jovo is 36, Weaver is 34, Kuba is 35, Campbell is 33) that just are struggling without a true preseason and then had a holdout in Kulikov who missed all of training camp.

Seriously, ask anyone that has followed whats happened with the Panthers to start the season and you will hear the same thing, its not the goaltending that has been the problem. Its entirely been the team in front of Theo that cant figure it and has been leaving him out to dry constantly.

Tallon is gonna be patient and let things ride out as they are right now. Once everyone is healthy and in the lineup, I think you will start to see a different product on the ice. I dont think he makes any deals even if the Panthers are not in the playoff chase, including trading Weiss at the deadline, unless its him getting a steal or dumping salary. None of that seems to coincide with what the Canucks are looking for.


I'm glad you prefaced that with " _I_" because that seems to sound like you are predicting Tallon there.


Every GM tries to get a steal. Tallon is no different. Gillis is not different. The likelihood that something goes down at the deadline should FLA be out of the race increases greatly because Weiss is not locked down. It's a significant piece hanging in the balance. They could also dump someone along with him. Who knows? But I think the odds definitely increase if Weiss is on the table unsigned.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
  #580
rune74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Lou hasn't been dealt. I think we are ALL smart enough to realize that Gillis has tried hard to deal him and Lou wants out. We are past the point of denial on those two points.

So either nobody wants the contract or the price is too high. Maybe both? Either way it doesn't seem like teams are banging down the door to acquire the aging goaltender.

Who flinches first? Gillis or some other team? I tend to think Gillis will bend eventually since Lou isn't a short term solution for any struggling team -- he's a long term commitment.
Thats one spin on it. But I think because he is a long term commitment it takes time to trade him. Lu isn't playing like he wants out just yet

rune74 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
  #581
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Lou hasn't been dealt. I think we are ALL smart enough to realize that Gillis has tried hard to deal him and Lou wants out. We are past the point of denial on those two points.

So either nobody wants the contract or the price is too high. Maybe both? Either way it doesn't seem like teams are banging down the door to acquire the aging goaltender.

Who flinches first? Gillis or some other team? I tend to think Gillis will bend eventually since Lou isn't a short term solution for any struggling team -- he's a long term commitment.


Gillis has to "flinch" in the offseason. Right now, he probably doesn't even care. It's only at that point that the pressure is on. He has to get his team cap compliant at 64.3m. He can't maintain both goaltenders past that point. But we're a looong way from that.



Strap yourself in for the long haul. Nothing is imminent right now.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
  #582
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Eh, I'm not usually one to agree with Y2K but we ought to get something with an immediate impact. Shore is a nice prospect but him being the only worthwhile piece? Rather just keep Luongo for the season.
Me too. That was speculation of what kind of deal we could get from Florida in the offseason.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
  #583
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,170
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Me too. That was speculation of what kind of deal we could get from Florida in the offseason.
Fair enough.

Honestly, I cannot see Florida in the mix unless they are considering moving Markstrom down the road. That, or he is not nearly as ready as fans have been led to believe.

Bourne Endeavor is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
  #584
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Lou hasn't been dealt. I think we are ALL smart enough to realize that Gillis has tried hard to deal him and Lou wants out. We are past the point of denial on those two points.

So either nobody wants the contract or the price is too high. Maybe both? Either way it doesn't seem like teams are banging down the door to acquire the aging goaltender.

Who flinches first? Gillis or some other team? I tend to think Gillis will bend eventually since Lou isn't a short term solution for any struggling team -- he's a long term commitment.
There's no proof that Luongo wants out. I don't think he wants to be a backup to Schneider. However, I think he will continue to fight for that #1 position in Vancouver.

Luongo has a NTC. My guess is the number of teams he has approved a trade to is very small. He's not going to leave Vancouver for the sake of it or because he feels threatened.

I expect Luongo to do everything he can to ensure his #1 position in Vancouver. Schneider may be the one on the outside. Vancouver will be forced to move one goalie next off season, and it'll probably boil down to who plays better. Given the fans in Vancouver, I can't see the team moving the better goalie and taking a risk on the lesser goalie as a starter. From the perspective of a team with an aging pair of Sedins, they should go for the goalie with the best possible play.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
  #585
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Thats one spin on it. But I think because he is a long term commitment it takes time to trade him. Lu isn't playing like he wants out just yet
That's debatable. I mean -- if Lou was playing terrible -- he'd be untradable with that contract -- a salary dump. So he better keep stopping pucks if he wants someone to take that contract. Just ask Dipietro what it's like to suck and have a 10 year deal -- that kid is never going to be traded.

birddog* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
  #586
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's no proof that Luongo wants out. I don't think he wants to be a backup to Schneider. However, I think he will continue to fight for that #1 position in Vancouver.

Luongo has a NTC. My guess is the number of teams he has approved a trade to is very small. He's not going to leave Vancouver for the sake of it or because he feels threatened.

I expect Luongo to do everything he can to ensure his #1 position in Vancouver. Schneider may be the one on the outside. Vancouver will be forced to move one goalie next off season, and it'll probably boil down to who plays better. Given the fans in Vancouver, I can't see the team moving the better goalie and taking a risk on the lesser goalie as a starter. From the perspective of a team with an aging pair of Sedins, they should go for the goalie with the best possible play.
You are in denial -- it's been stated many times in the media and even Gillis has confirmed shopping him. If you fail to accept that -- there's little point in carrying on a conversation with you. I simply have no desire to argue the sky is green.

birddog* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
  #587
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Fair enough.

Honestly, I cannot see Florida in the mix unless they are considering moving Markstrom down the road. That, or he is not nearly as ready as fans have been led to believe.

At some point, Luongo is going to have to shut the door on FLA if a deal cannot be reached. Then you'll see something quick. If a full season goes by and FLA is still not on board, that has to be conveyed to Luongo and he has to close the door. This is hockey and he is a professional. If he wants to start somewhere, he's got to broaden is "list" to all comers and let Gillis move him. Even if it is to an unexpected team like CLB or even EDM. He's got to accept it and move on.


I'm thinking a full year here will get him thinking on that real hard.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
  #588
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
That's debatable. I mean -- if Lou was playing terrible -- he'd be untradable with that contract -- a salary dump. So he better keep stopping pucks if he wants someone to take that contract. Just ask Dipietro what it's like to suck and have a 10 year deal -- that kid is never going to be traded.
If the sticking point is that teams are not offering enough, bad play could encourage the team to trade him for a lower offer. Playing lights out may not encourage another team to take him on, as it's probably the long term contract, not his current, play holding back a higher offer.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:57 AM
  #589
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
You are in denial -- it's been stated many times in the media and even Gillis has confirmed shopping him. If you fail to accept that -- there's little point in carrying on a conversation with you. I simply have no desire to argue the sky is green.
Umm....him being shopped is entirely different than Luongo wanting out. All that proves is that Vancouver has considered moving Luongo, which makes sense. Regardless of whether they move him now, they will have to move one goalie before the beginning of the 2013/2014 season to remain competitive.

Luongo has stated that he would cooperate with the right trade. However, we don't know anything about what Luongo really wants. We don't know how many and what teams he has approved a move to. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Your theory that Luongo wants out is no more valid than my theory he wants to stay.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
  #590
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Umm....him being shopped is entirely different than Luongo wanting out. All that proves is that Vancouver has considered moving Luongo, which makes sense. Regardless of whether they move him now, they will have to move one goalie before the beginning of the 2013/2014 season to remain competitive.

Luongo has stated that he would cooperate with the right trade. However, we don't know anything about what Luongo really wants. We don't know how many and what teams he has approved a move to. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Your theory that Luongo wants out is no more valid than my theory he wants to stay.
Dude just read his Twitter account.

The fact he's calling out the organization and has developed even more of a "me first" attitude shows he wants to be traded.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
  #591
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's no proof that Luongo wants out. I don't think he wants to be a backup to Schneider. However, I think he will continue to fight for that #1 position in Vancouver.

Luongo has a NTC. My guess is the number of teams he has approved a trade to is very small. He's not going to leave Vancouver for the sake of it or because he feels threatened.

I expect Luongo to do everything he can to ensure his #1 position in Vancouver. Schneider may be the one on the outside. Vancouver will be forced to move one goalie next off season, and it'll probably boil down to who plays better. Given the fans in Vancouver, I can't see the team moving the better goalie and taking a risk on the lesser goalie as a starter. From the perspective of a team with an aging pair of Sedins, they should go for the goalie with the best possible play.


You're half right. Luongo will evaluate every situation vs staying in VAN. He's got friends here, and he's spent time maturing here. He'll have to weigh a non-ideal situation in VAN vs. being a starter in a place he never expected to go to. That will be his decision.


However, fighting for the #1 or not (which is all good with this VAN fan) is not going to change that he A) asked to move on and B) VAN is moving forward with Schneider.


Now in saying that, this year, it's about winning the big prize. So if Gillis feels that Luongo helps him more to achieve that than the potential players coming in, he will keep him. This is why an offseason trade makes much more sense. Teams will be looking back at the year to evaluate their strengths, more teams might be options, and the return can be more futures based because there isn't the pressure to have an immediate contributor.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
  #592
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Dude just read his Twitter account.

The fact he's calling out the organization and has developed even more of a "me first" attitude shows he wants to be traded.

Can you link the tweet where he is calling out the organization? And the one with the "me first" attitude? Thanks.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
  #593
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm glad you prefaced that with " _I_" because that seems to sound like you are predicting Tallon there.


Every GM tries to get a steal. Tallon is no different. Gillis is not different. The likelihood that something goes down at the deadline should FLA be out of the race increases greatly because Weiss is not locked down. It's a significant piece hanging in the balance. They could also dump someone along with him. Who knows? But I think the odds definitely increase if Weiss is on the table unsigned.
Well yes I'm slightly predicting Tallon because of what he & the organization has constantly said. They know they need to be patient, they plan on building thru the draft, they know they are rebuilding right now, they want players with lots of character and all of this has been said numerous times, both in the media and directly to season ticket holders in townhall meetings.

Still I dont expect the Panthers to continue to struggle when several of the key players come back from injury. Once Weiss & Goc return, at least they have centers who will stabilize the lineup more with their 2-way play. They probably are putting themselves out of the playoff picture though with this start but they wont keep being this bad.

As far as Weiss goes, he has already said he doesnt want to negotiate a contract during the season as its a distraction and wants to focus on his play on the ice. So he wont be signed come trade deadline anyway. But I dont see that as a reason Tallon trades him unless there's a "wink-wink" type of situation where he will re-sign with the Panthers after the season. Weiss has said numerous times that he wants to be like some of his idols (Yzerman for one) who stayed with the same team his entire career. He likes FL and has continually said he would like to stay. Tallon and the organization keep preaching that they wants players with strong character and thats the epitome of what Weiss is. I expect them to keep Weiss even if they are out of the playoff race so they can negotiate his new contract once the season is over.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
  #594
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Dude just read his Twitter account.

The fact he's calling out the organization and has developed even more of a "me first" attitude shows he wants to be traded.
Part of that "me first" attitude could be playing where he wants to play, which, for all any of us know, could be Vancouver. Before he may have been more cooperative with the move. Now he's just like: #$@# it, I'll screw over Schneider and play in Vancouver.

Luongo is a competitor. I'd be really intersted to see what is going on behind the scenes here. Is he playing psychological games with Schneider, who is the much younger and inexperienced player?

blankall is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
  #595
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Luongo has a NTC. My guess is the number of teams he has approved a trade to is very small. He's not going to leave Vancouver for the sake of it or because he feels threatened.
Wasn't it reported last week by Bob Mackenzie, that the list of teams he wouldn't waive for is small. So exactly the opposite of what you're saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
You are in denial -- it's been stated many times in the media and even Gillis has confirmed shopping him. If you fail to accept that -- there's little point in carrying on a conversation with you. I simply have no desire to argue the sky is green.
Shopping him, doesn't mean Luongo want's out (I believe he does, but for family not hockey reasons).

Not sure why'd you claim blankall as in denial, not even sure he cheers for Vancouver or is a Luongo fan.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
  #596
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
So either nobody wants the contract or the price is too high. Maybe both? Either way it doesn't seem like teams are banging down the door to acquire the aging goaltender.
....or the high price has been met, just not with the specific targeted pieces in return.

I believe the value has been pretty close to what Gillis wants, Gillis said as much, just the specific return he wants has not been offered.

You trade for what you want, not just to make a trade.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
  #597
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Well yes I'm slightly predicting Tallon because of what he & the organization has constantly said. They know they need to be patient, they plan on building thru the draft, they know they are rebuilding right now, they want players with lots of character and all of this has been said numerous times, both in the media and directly to season ticket holders in townhall meetings.

Still I dont expect the Panthers to continue to struggle when several of the key players come back from injury. Once Weiss & Goc return, at least they have centers who will stabilize the lineup more with their 2-way play. They probably are putting themselves out of the playoff picture though with this start but they wont keep being this bad.

As far as Weiss goes, he has already said he doesnt want to negotiate a contract during the season as its a distraction and wants to focus on his play on the ice. So he wont be signed come trade deadline anyway. But I dont see that as a reason Tallon trades him unless there's a "wink-wink" type of situation where he will re-sign with the Panthers after the season. Weiss has said numerous times that he wants to be like some of his idols (Yzerman for one) who stayed with the same team his entire career. He likes FL and has continually said he would like to stay. Tallon and the organization keep preaching that they wants players with strong character and thats the epitome of what Weiss is. I expect them to keep Weiss even if they are out of the playoff race so they can negotiate his new contract once the season is over.


The "wink-wink" situation is exactly how I could see it going down, should FLA be out of the hunt by the deadline.


VAN cannot re-sign Weiss. They don't have the cap space. So he would be a pure rental. Which works great for both teams as he can hit FA and sign right back with FLA. Or VAN could send his rights back at the draft for a late pick.


Him being on the market basically allows the two teams to facilitate the deal with the intention of him returning to FLA after the playoffs. Win-win.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
  #598
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Wasn't it reported last week by Bob Mackenzie, that the list of teams he wouldn't waive for is small. So exactly the opposite of what you're saying?



Shopping him, doesn't mean Luongo want's out (I believe he does, but for family not hockey reasons).

Not sure why'd you claim blankall as in denial, not even sure he cheers for Vancouver or is a Luongo fan.
Not a Canucks fan, but I live in Vancouver.

We also don't know whether Mackenzie's reports are true. If the Canucks are looking to up his trade value, then they would purposely leak a report that Luongo is interested in many teams. Fits in well with the previous reports of "many teams" being interested and a deal being more or less done.

The truth is none of us know what is actually going on.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
  #599
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Can we expect Florida to be off the teams interested in Luongo? Reports said that they aren't going to re-sign Weiss because he's asking for a large contract. Would it make sense for them to get Luongo?

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
  #600
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Can we expect Florida to be off the teams interested in Luongo? Reports said that they aren't going to re-sign Weiss because he's asking for a large contract. Would it make sense for them to get Luongo?

The two situations are independent of one another. Maybe they just don't want to pay Weiss well over 5m? Perhaps they feel he wouldn't be worth that to them. While Luongo has been on big money deals for quite some time and still generates interest. Perhaps they feel they can work with a contract like that? Who knows?


A Luongo trade could have gone down if FLA was able to send money back, regardless of what happened with Weiss.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.