HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 11:28 PM
  #726
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
When a 5'8 rookie is the toughest guy on your 3rd line you're going to have some issues come playoffs. That line would get pushed around worse than a kid with an inner ear problem trying his hand at sumo wrestling.

It's really an awful deal for us.
I have no idea what that means...

Anyways, I guess just agree to disagree. Kessel really is top-flight talent, and I'd be willing to play a pretty penny to get him. While I'd maybe pudh to get the 1st in 2014, really, we'd be a much better team now and going forward imo. Plus it's not like we're giving up any roster players, so we aren't any less gritty a team after this trade. Booth-Kesler-Kessel might very well generate some chemistry, so if we were to run:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows/Kassian

That would also be deadly.

Adding a player like Kessel without losing anything from your roster is a huge opportunity to push us over the top, imo.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
  #727
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd do Schneider + Gaunce + 1st for Kessel.

Might make more sense than Jensen for TO due to their shallow centre depth, too.
If I'm giving up that package for a player, it's someone that fits our needs and role on this team, and that's not Kessel.

Where do you play Kessel? Is he the type of player that fits with the Sedins? Can you play him with Kesler? Keep in mind that in Toronto he can't play with Grabovski because he needs a playmaking center, not a goal-scoring one.

Kessel is just a bad fit given the makeup of our lineup... and you're proposing we give up a huge package for a bad fit who's a UFA in a couple years, that's going to demand tons of money on the market?

Makes no sense to me.

If I'm giving up that package, I'd want a signed Perry.. or Ryan... or Backes... or, well a similar powerforward type right winger who can be a good fit next to either the Sedins or Kesler. Kessel isn't a fit beside either of those guys.

NFITO is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
  #728
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I have no idea what that means...

Anyways, I guess just agree to disagree. Kessel really is top-flight talent, and I'd be willing to play a pretty penny to get him. While I'd maybe pudh to get the 1st in 2014, really, we'd be a much better team now and going forward imo. Plus it's not like we're giving up any roster players, so we aren't any less gritty a team after this trade. Booth-Kesler-Kessel might very well generate some chemistry, so if we were to run:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows/Kassian

That would also be deadly.

Adding a player like Kessel without losing anything from your roster is a huge opportunity to push us over the top, imo.
No one argues Kessels talent, it's his fit, unless we trade booth, he doesn't fit. Plus I think we may be better off with what we have for a fit.

Twins kassian
Burrows Kesler booth
Higgins Schroeder Hansen <----- stronger defensive third line that can chip in.

racerjoe is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:05 AM
  #729
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Well obviously I'd prefer someone like Perry, but if we have the opportunity to get Kessel, I would still be all over it. I can't believe some people actually think we'd be better off without a PPG winger.

Sedins-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

As our core forward group moving forward, with Jensen possibly knocking off Booth or Raymond soon, is simply amazing.

Every one of those lines is strong defensively, and 2 are enormous scoring threats, and 2 are lesser, but still quite potent offensively.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
  #730
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I have no idea what that means...

Anyways, I guess just agree to disagree. Kessel really is top-flight talent, and I'd be willing to play a pretty penny to get him. While I'd maybe pudh to get the 1st in 2014, really, we'd be a much better team now and going forward imo. Plus it's not like we're giving up any roster players, so we aren't any less gritty a team after this trade. Booth-Kesler-Kessel might very well generate some chemistry, so if we were to run:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows/Kassian

That would also be deadly.

Adding a player like Kessel without losing anything from your roster is a huge opportunity to push us over the top, imo.
It would be great for this one season but would kill the canucks going forward. The canucks will have to trade at least two of Luongo, Ballard, and Booth to fit in under the cap next year as it is...add Kessel and make that 3 of 3.

CpatainCanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
  #731
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
It would be great for this one season but would kill the canucks going forward. The canucks will have to trade at least two of Luongo, Ballard, and Booth to fit in under the cap next year as it is...add Kessel and make that 3 of 3.
We'd be trading Schneider, so I hope we wouldn't be trading Luongo as well

And I wouldn't hesitate at all to trade Ballard and Booth in the offseason for picks. For the 2014 season:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Jensen
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Connauton(or UFA)-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

With some extra picks for Ballard + Booth to help stock up our prospect pool is a future for the Canucks I would love to have.


Last edited by Vankiller Whale: 01-31-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:20 AM
  #732
wiredmaverick
Registered User
 
wiredmaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We'd be trading Schneider, so I hope we wouldn't be trading Luongo as well

And I wouldn't hesitate at all to trade Ballard and Booth in the offseason for picks. For the 2014 season:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Kessel
Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Connauton(or UFA)-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

With some extra picks for Ballard + Booth to help stock up our prospect pool is a future for the Canucks I would love to have.
Needs more Kassian

wiredmaverick is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 AM
  #733
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
It would be great for this one season but would kill the canucks going forward. The canucks will have to trade at least two of Luongo, Ballard, and Booth to fit in under the cap next year as it is...add Kessel and make that 3 of 3.
Umm...so what's your point?

So we have to trade the guy playing as our #5 d-man (he's probably a #4), our backup goalie (we could trade him or Schneider and in this case, we traded Schneider already), and a 40 point guy for an 80 point guy?

Is that a real problem?

604 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 AM
  #734
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmaverick View Post
Needs more Kassian
Whoops, my bad. I knew I was messing something up. Fixed.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 AM
  #735
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Every year matters.

Anywho, there's no way you're going to change my mind about giving up that much for Kessel. Never.
I'm not trying to change your mind but it is an asinine argument to suggest you're only getting 1.5 years of Kessel and then change your argument when someone comes back and says Schneider is only signed for 2.5 years.

A first that would be 25-30 plus another late pick prospect shouldn't be the difference between Schneider and Kessel if you think adding Kessel can win you the cup.

It's different if you think he wouldn't though, fair enough.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:27 AM
  #736
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
Luongo certainly has settled things down for the Canucks the last couple games. The whole team looks more relaxed and confident.

Petes2424 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
  #737
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Where do you play Kessel? Is he the type of player that fits with the Sedins? Can you play him with Kesler? Keep in mind that in Toronto he can't play with Grabovski because he needs a playmaking center, not a goal-scoring one.

If I'm giving up that package, I'd want a signed Perry.
Kessel is every bit of a play maker as he is a sniper. He is an elite offensive talent. Just think when he actually had a top line player playing with him [some people even debate that] he notched 40A. No doubt he could that do playing with Kesler. Add him to your PP and you have yet another use for him. Put him on a team with an excellent breakout/transition game and Kessel while find even more opportunity then he has in Toronto.

And I don't think that kind of package would get you a signed Perry... a Backes for sure but not everyone is for sale either.


Last edited by marty111: 01-31-2013 at 12:39 AM.
marty111 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
  #738
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benning's empty head
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,680
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I'm not trying to change your mind but it is an asinine argument to suggest you're only getting 1.5 years of Kessel and then change your argument when someone comes back and says Schneider is only signed for 2.5 years.

A first that would be 25-30 plus another late pick prospect shouldn't be the difference between Schneider and Kessel if you think adding Kessel can win you the cup.

It's different if you think he wouldn't though, fair enough.
On the Vancouver Canucks, I don't feel that Kessel would be worth Schneider + 1st + Jensen/Gaunce/Kassian.

We already have two pure offensive guys in the Sedins, we have no need for another one dimensional soft player.
Kessel wouldn't be a guy who would play with the Sedins, as that line would be destroyed physically in the playoffs.
Kessel wouldn't be a guy who would play with Kesler, as Kessel doesn't play well with shoot-first centers.

I would never give up that much for a guy to play on the 3rd line.
If we didn't have the Sedins, then sure, I would look to acquiring a pure offensive guy like Kessel.

__________________

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:30 AM
  #739
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Luongo certainly has settled things down for the Canucks the last couple games. The whole team looks more relaxed and confident.
Probably little to do with the canucks being more confident with Luongo than Schneider. Probably a lot more to do with the fact that very few canucks players played overseas, and thus the team was guaranteed to look shaky the first few games of the season.

CpatainCanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:31 AM
  #740
glasses91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Steelheads!?
Country: Canada
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
please, kessel can cherry pick with anyone....

glasses91 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:31 AM
  #741
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
It would be great for this one season but would kill the canucks going forward. The canucks will have to trade at least two of Luongo, Ballard, and Booth to fit in under the cap next year as it is...add Kessel and make that 3 of 3.
It's only adding 1.4M?

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
  #742
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
On the Vancouver Canucks, I don't feel that Kessel would be worth Schneider + 1st + Jensen/Gaunce/Kassian.

We already have two pure offensive guys in the Sedins, we have no need for another one dimensional soft player.
Kessel wouldn't be a guy who would play with the Sedins, as that line would be destroyed physically in the playoffs.
Kessel wouldn't be a guy who would play with Kesler, as Kessel doesn't play well with shoot-first centers.

I would never give up that much for a guy to play on the 3rd line.
If we didn't have the Sedins, then sure, I would look to acquiring a pure offensive guy like Kessel.
It's a fair point but I think you are underrating the bold part.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
  #743
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
It's only adding 1.4M?
The salary cap is decreasing by nearly $6 million next year. The canucks need to reduce their payroll, not add to it.

CpatainCanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
  #744
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,940
vCash: 1800
Luongo with a shutout....

I'd much rather trade Schneider+ for Kessel than Luongo for Bozak+

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
  #745
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,481
vCash: 500
1.61 GAA
0.938 SV%

Looks like Gillis will hang on to Luongo for a little longer.

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
  #746
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We'd be trading Schneider, so I hope we wouldn't be trading Luongo as well

And I wouldn't hesitate at all to trade Ballard and Booth in the offseason for picks. For the 2014 season:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Jensen
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Connauton(or UFA)-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

With some extra picks for Ballard + Booth to help stock up our prospect pool is a future for the Canucks I would love to have.
Does that fit under the cap? I doubt it.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:40 AM
  #747
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
The salary cap is decreasing by nearly $6 million next year. The canucks need to reduce their payroll, not add to it.
And Kessel replaces a winger? I can't see it being a problem.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
  #748
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
1.61 GAA
0.938 SV%

Looks like Gillis will hang on to Luongo for a little longer.
That's a lot better than .897 SV% and 3.13 GAA

Small sample sizes can make things look good or bad.

BayStBullies is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:49 AM
  #749
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We'd be trading Schneider, so I hope we wouldn't be trading Luongo as well

And I wouldn't hesitate at all to trade Ballard and Booth in the offseason for picks. For the 2014 season:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Kessel
Raymond-Schroeder-Jensen
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Connauton(or UFA)-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

With some extra picks for Ballard + Booth to help stock up our prospect pool is a future for the Canucks I would love to have.
Not a chance that fits under the cap. Plus you need to add another dman. Also Lappierre and Higgins will get raises.


The issue is that not only is the cap going down but Edler and Burrows are already on the books for big raises.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
  #750
Bourne Endeavor
Registered User
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,310
vCash: 178
I believe there is one thing we are neglecting here. Kesler is capable of adopting the playmaking role - evident by his 50 assists. One of the primary reasons I suspect he refrained from doing so afterward is a lack of trust in his linemates. He particularly had to do everything otherwise the line would not score. Kessel is a legitimate goal scorer and infinitely superior to anyone Kesler plays with consistently, relatively speaking. I do not see the two having any difficulty long term.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.