HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Because that backup (who happens to be named Cory Schneider) is totally inexperienced in a #1 role, has a sub .900 sv% and 3+ gaa this year.
We should of just traded him for Connolly that NHL center he is! Am I right?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
RogerRoeper*

Thank god Burke didn't trade Kadri for Luongo.

I like Lu a lot but that contract is just far, far too long.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Luongo has a 0.938 SV%

Which of Scrivens and Reimer can top that?
Reimer isn't exactly playing bad.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:45 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So it begins...again.
I'm curious as to what you're trying to contribute to the thought in this thread with this post.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:48 PM
rune74

Oh well, not worth it.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Luongo has a 0.938 SV%

Which of Scrivens and Reimer can top that?
Neither. But Reimer is 9 years younger than Luongo... something that he physically will never be able to change.

When you consider that some of the guys who would've been offered up for Luongo are also the Leafs leading scorers right now, I'd say they're pretty happy the trade wasn't made.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Nope...and i apologise. I just find it funny that every goal given up by a Leafs goalie gets a post from you.

Luongo is playing great, i don't see Van moving him....at all this season.

As a Leafs fan, it's just nice to see the kids play and win a few.
Exactly.

Nazem Kadri has been the most consistent forward this year. We're 4-3 without getting a single goal from Kessel and that speaks a lot about the young guys like Frattin and Kadri doing their part to help the team win.

If Luongo was 3 years younger, and his contract was 5-7 years instead of 10, Gillis might have actually gotten what he wants.

I think the best case scenario for the Canucks is to keep Luongo and Schneider right now. I don't think there have been many trade deadline deals that have helped teams win the Cup...so whatever return Luongo brings, isn't going to help them much.

Side note: Carter was like the 5th best forward on the Cup run, so no, that deadline deal didn't help them.

Luongo is playing great and he was one win away from winning the Cup. There is no reason why he can't get there again if the Canucks are healthy.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

If the price for Luongo is Nazem Kadri++ then I'll gladly keep Reimer and hope for the best and if we don't make the playoffs...this is one hell of a deep draft.

Even if the Leafs finish 9th, they will get a guy like Ryan Pulock, a very good defenseman.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
an other loss for the caps tonight...some changes should happen there soon, maybe Luongo might be a good fit to help the young goalie Holtby.

what do you ask if you are Gillis ?
If anything, the Caps should be going after Schneider. If we assume current trends continue (Schneider continues to entrench himself as the backup, Washington continues to get let down by the goaltenders) for the next week or two, maybe a change of scenery move makes sense.

Send Holtby + a forward to Vancouver for Schneider... Neuvirth/Schneider should allow both goalies to succeed much more than a Luongo/Schneider tandem, and Holtby gives Vancovuer the backup they'd need, plus a substantially lower salary for next year.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
What is it exactly that Luongo has done to get you so bent out of shape. The only reason we might get more for Schneider is we can trade him anywhere whereas Luongo can pick & choose his final destination
seems to me I am not the guy 'bent out of shape' .

Old
01-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Neither. But Reimer is 9 years younger than Luongo... something that he physically will never be able to change.

When you consider that some of the guys who would've been offered up for Luongo are also the Leafs leading scorers right now, I'd say they're pretty happy the trade wasn't made.
Not too sure we would need to trade Schneider to the Leafs. A lot more teams would come knocking. Keep developing Reimer.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Not too sure we would need to trade Schneider to the Leafs. A lot more teams would come knocking. Keep developing Reimer.
No, you definitely wouldn't. The only situation where you would have to trade a player to the Leafs, is if he had value, and a NTC that he would only waive for Toronto.

Plenty of teams would be interested in a $4m goaltender who you can probably be confident with in a tandem role. Toronto should be interested, but he's certainly not going to be the player that motivates the Leafs to put Kessel on the table.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:22 PM
rune74

Quote:
No, you definitely wouldn't. The only situation where you would have to trade a player to the Leafs, is if he had value, and a NTC that he would only waive for Toronto.

Plenty of teams would be interested in a $4m goaltender who you can probably be confident with in a tandem role. Toronto should be interested, but he's certainly not going to be the player that motivates the Leafs to put Kessel on the table.
You honestly think no teams would be interested in Schneider?

Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
What part of his post where he literally said "plenty of teams would be interested" did you take to mean no one would be interested?

Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Not sure how you interpreted my post as that.

Plenty of teams will be interested in Schneider. There's lots of teams who have tandems or starting goalies where they aren't totally confident in one or both of their goaltenders. He's expensive, but there's not a ton of long term risk considering what he's proven in a backup role. Certainly nowhere near the risk associated with Luongo.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Nope...and i apologise. I just find it funny that every goal given up by a Leafs goalie gets a post from you.

Luongo is playing great, i don't see Van moving him....at all this season.

As a Leafs fan, it's just nice to see the kids play and win a few.
He's obsessed with the Leafs and this thread, I'd suggest ignoring him.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
rune74

Quote:
Not sure how you interpreted my post as that.

Plenty of teams will be interested in Schneider. There's lots of teams who have tandems or starting goalies where they aren't totally confident in one or both of their goaltenders. He's expensive, but there's not a ton of long term risk considering what he's proven in a backup role. Certainly nowhere near the risk associated with Luongo.
The he's expensive and the mentioning of the 4 mil contract was a back handed comment. He is definitely better then both the goalies the leafs have playing.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
He's obsessed with the Leafs and this thread, I'd suggest ignoring him.
Nope not obsessed with the leafs at all, sorry. Interested in seeing where one of our goalies will go. When other teams goalies do bad it increases his trade value.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
The he's expensive and the mentioning of the 4 mil contract was a back handed comment. He is definitely better then both the goalies the leafs have playing.
He is expensive. $4m for a goaltender who's never been a #1 is expensive no matter which way you slice it. Realistically, the team that trades for him is going to use him in a tandem context, and how many teams are spending $8m on their goaltending tandem? 3? Vancouver, New York, and Nashville, and the latter 2 are over $8m because they have the first and second most expensive goaltenders in the league.

To put it simply, $4m is an expensive tandem goaltender. Jaroslav Halak is probably the benchmark for absolute most you'd want to spend on a tandem guy, and he's at $3.75m. Devan Dubnyk is at the same price and is his team's #1, and was the top half of the tandem last year.

Suggesting that he's definitely better than both of the Leafs goalies is a curious comment, considering the numbers suggest otherwise.

Last edited by seanlinden: 01-31-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Vancouver Canucks*

Schneider for Sean Couturier

Old
01-31-2013, 11:45 PM
rune74

Quote:
He is expensive. $4m for a goaltender who's never been a #1 is expensive no matter which way you slice it. Realistically, the team that trades for him is going to use him in a tandem context, and how many teams are spending $8m on their goaltending tandem? 3? Vancouver, New York, and Nashville, and the latter 2 are over $8m because they have the first and second most expensive goaltenders in the league.

Suggesting that he's definitely better than both of the Leafs goalies is a curious comment, considering the numbers suggest otherwise.
Yep, win a game somehow reimer is better then Schneider, keep up the dream.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:50 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Yep, win a game somehow reimer is better then Schneider, keep up the dream.
Yup. Be a player on the team that rune74 likes, and somehow Schneider is better than Reimer, keep up the dream.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
rune74

Quote:
Yup. Be a player on the team that rune74 likes, and somehow Schneider is better than Reimer, keep up the dream.
Hahaha, well I'm willing to bet a lot more agree with me then you. But hey, you guys won against Washington tonight, congrats.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Because that backup (who happens to be named Cory Schneider) is totally inexperienced in a #1 role, has a sub .900 sv% and 3+ gaa this year.
We're not worried, you shouldn't be either.

Old
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Thank god Burke didn't trade Kadri for Luongo.

I like Lu a lot but that contract is just far, far too long.
I thank him too. A lot Canucks fans don't want Kadri anyways in a Luongo trade.
On top of that, Luongo will not waive his NTC to go to Toronto. He already refused it.

No point, there's actually no point right now, for Canucks fans to even talk to Leafs fans about a Luongo trade. It's pointless. Not going to happen.

Old
vanwest

Quote:

To put it simply, $4m is an expensive tandem goaltender. Jaroslav Halak is probably the benchmark for absolute most you'd want to spend on a tandem guy, and he's at $3.75m. Devan Dubnyk is at the same price and is his team's #1, and was the top half of the tandem last year.

The numbers clearly show he's better. Reimer was amongst the worst in the league last year. Schneider was amongst the best.

Closed Thread