HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
EvoLu7ioN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I wonder if Luongo gets claimed if he is waived

Can't hide salary in the minors anymore

Old
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Question:

How much would Luongo be worth if he were signed for two years?(i.e. this one and the next)

You're barking up the wrong tree VKW. People here will refuse to answer this honestly because it undermines their fictitious bargaining position here. Luongo at 5.3m over 2 years? You have to start at the 1st and 2nd that Varlamov got and begin to add... big time.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I wonder if Luongo gets claimed if he is waived

Can't hide salary in the minors anymore
Wonder if Phaneuf gets claimed if he is waived.

Can't hide salary in the minors anymore.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree VKW. People here will refuse to answer this honestly because it undermines their fictitious bargaining position here. Luongo at 5.3m over 2 years? You have to start at the 1st and 2nd that Varlamov got and begin to add... big time.

I only ask because if any deep pocketed team decides to buy out Luongo in two years time, it would be equivalent to having him on a two year contract.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Sorry buddy but this is one of the biggest stories hanging over the league for the past 9 months. Anyone who is interested in the NHL will have interest in this story and fans of every other team have just as much right to come into this thread and say they are for/against trading for him and think that a deal will cost x amount in the end as Canucks fans do. If you only want to talk to Canuck fans about a possible deal go to the Vancouver board.
Strange that a player whos only worth spare parts and protected picks would garner so much attention.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
LeftCoast

Anders Lindback went for 2 2nd round picks.

Semyon Varlomov went for a 1st and a 2nd.

Luongo is certainly worth more than either of these.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

NO! Just say no to that logic.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Wonder if Phaneuf gets claimed if he is waived.

Can't hide salary in the minors anymore.
Can his minor team waive him?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Nah then the argument would be hes worthless because of the risk he could leave after 2 years/ask for more money after 2 years etc

Old
01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

I'd seriously consider Hemsky + Gagner + 5th for Luongo + Schroder + 2nd

Old
01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Quote:

Players with the careers in front of them should garner more in a trade.

Luongo is worth more even at his age, but that contract plummets his trade value.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Luongo's contract is bad?

Do you honestly believe the NHL banned the cap circumventing deals because they are bad?

Old
01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I'd seriously consider Hemsky + Gagner + 5th for Luongo + Schroder + 2nd

There's no reason for us to be adding a 2nd AND a prospect that has been playing well for us in the NHL this season.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Question for Nucks fans, (no trolling) with Chi being 5-0, Bryz bring solid in his last 3, Edm looking good so far....does it worry you that you may be back to the 2 original favoured teams (FLA/TO)? Tallon doesn't seem to be any more interested and Nonis has said he won't pay. (and Luongo won't waive for TO).

Vankiller seems to think the market is growing, right now it seems to be shrinking.
Not particularly. Bryzgalov and Crawford could choke at any moment, as neither are reliable starters, while Edmonton could sink or swim in a heartbeat. Washington is new to the dance. Simply put, it is far too soon for us to worry about the state of any potential team's interest or lack thereof.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

Do you honestly believe the NHL banned the cap circumventing deals because they are bad?
No, I think the NHL banned cap circumventing deals because they bothered Bettman. Those deals appeared to be structured in such a way that the player and team had little to gain by fulfilling the entire contract.

Looking at Luongo's contract today, it's hard to believe that he will play at an elite level for his entire contract. The fear is, you're stuck with a healthy Luongo, eating 5.3M of the cap, who has lost it around 39.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not particularly. Bryzgalov and Crawford could choke at any moment, as neither are reliable starters, while Edmonton could sink or swim in a heartbeat. Washington is new to the dance. Simply put, it is far too soon for us to worry about the state of any potential team's interest or lack thereof.
Exactly; here is the facts. Some teams are going to lead the NHL and secure playoffs, other teams are going to tank and miss the playoffs, and a large chunk is going to be on the bubble battling for playoff spots.

Why trade now for less, when you KNOW there will be an increase demand for players (Goalies, Forwards, Defense, all players). It may not a be a huge increase of demand, but there will be an increase nonetheless.

Gillis is doing the smart thing by being patient and waiting for the demand to rise. Maybe Reimer/Scrivens starts playing awesome? Possible. Maybe Reimer/Scrivens, Theodore/Clemmenson all start playing awesome? Unlikely, but still possible. Maybe Reimer/Scrivens, Theodore/Clemmenson, Holtby/Neuvirth all start playing awesome? Very unlikely. Etc, etc.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:31 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
No, I think the NHL banned cap circumventing deals because they bothered Bettman. Those deals appeared to be structured in such a way that the player and team had little to gain by fulfilling the entire contract.

Looking at Luongo's contract today, it's hard to believe that he will play at an elite level for his entire contract. The fear is, you're stuck with a healthy Luongo, eating 5.3M of the cap, who has lost it around 39.
I doubt Bettman's personal feelings had anything to do with it. The deals like Luongo provide a huge benefit to teams who spend to the cap so much so that they had to penalize all deals in the new CBA.

Even now if Luongo's play falls off (and for whatever reason he's waived and decides to play in the AHL) a cap floor team can easily trade for him and pay him 1M-3M and carry a 5.3M caphit and save the owner money.

To say that Luongo's value had dramatically dropped the same would have to be said for a player like Hossa.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

Luongo is worth more even at his age, but that contract plummets his trade value.
The potential negative impacts of Luongo's contract do not come into play for at least another 8 years. The average lifespan of an NHL general manager is considerably less than that and the current CBA has an opt out in 8 years, so we may be into another lockout before then. When a real NHL GM weighs having an elite goal tender with a $5.3M cap hit for the next 5-7 years years versus a potential cap liability 8 to 10 years from now the Cap Savings Recapture doesn't really come into play. It's a non-issue.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
I doubt Bettman's personal feelings had anything to do with it. The deals like Luongo provide a huge benefit to teams who spend to the cap so much so that they had to penalize all deals in the new CBA.

Even now if Luongo's play falls off (and for whatever reason he's waived and decides to play in the AHL) a cap floor team can easily trade for him and pay him 1M-3M and carry a 5.3M caphit and save the owner money.

To say that Luongo's value had dramatically dropped the same would have to be said for a player like Hossa.
Has any team during the salary cap era traded for a low salary/high cap hit contract like you described?

I mean, look, I realize it's possible what you propose, but that would likely be a very painful trade. Sending a good prospect or something alike along with Luongo/bad contract to facilitate the trade.

Trading for any of these cap circumventing contracts is a huge risk/reward situation. If the player plays well and then gets an injury that allows the contract to get LTIR'd then it's wonderful. If the players play falls off a cliff, you're left holding a very expensive bag that everyone knows you don't want, thus has little value.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
marty111

Quote:
The potential negative impacts of Luongo's contract do not come into play for at least another 8 years. The average lifespan of an NHL general manager is considerably less than that and the current CBA has an opt out in 8 years, so we may be into another lockout before then. When a real NHL GM weighs having an elite goal tender with a $5.3M cap hit for the next 5-7 years years versus a potential cap liability 8 to 10 years from now the Cap Savings Recapture doesn't really come into play. It's a non-issue.
1. Part of the problem is that many people disagree with how long his contract will be considered a 'non-issue'. You suggest that is it 8 years. I understand. I feel like 4 years with many years of penalty. Others will say 2 years and another group will say none at all. Since there is no way to truly measure that one aspect of his value, you will get vastly varying opinions.

2. Just out of curiosity, what are the numbers of the cap-recapture rule for Vancouver if say they never traded him and kept him? Are we talking 4M cap penalty for 4 years? Is that non issue?

Old
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

They are good for teams tight against the cap, like Vancouver always is. His contract was structured to fit into Vancouvers long term plans specifically. The new CBA found away to not only punish the team who signed the player, but also the team who has traded for him.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Has any team during the salary cap era traded for a low salary/high cap hit contract like you described?

I mean, look, I realize it's possible what you propose, but that would likely be a very painful trade. Sending a good prospect or something alike along with Luongo/bad contract to facilitate the trade.

Trading for any of these cap circumventing contracts is a huge risk/reward situation. If the player plays well and then gets an injury that allows the contract to get LTIR'd then it's wonderful. If the players play falls off a cliff, you're left holding a very expensive bag that everyone knows you don't want, thus has little value.
Visnovsky? Cap floor teams would love using low salary/high cap hit because it saves the owners real dollars. NYI/CBJ/PHO all have 2M+ in bonuses they use.

Considering Luongo's contract has a "penalty" of a portion of his cap hit after he retires it has even more appeal to a cap floor team. If that fails teams can elect to pay for 50% of his salary.

There are many outs to Luongo's contract, the worst of which happens 8 years from now. I doubt GMs are weary of his contract, just unwilling to pay Gillis' asking price.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

Varlamov's youth in his favour, but in no fashion does a player's youth trump ability. Luongo has _proven_ to be great over a very long period of time. Varlamov has his work cut out for him to prove the same.

And no, Luongo's contract does not plummet his value. This narrative has no basis in fact. A poor contract does not get penalized, nor does it get issued by one of the brightest GMs in the biz.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
They are good for teams tight against the cap, like Vancouver always is. His contract was structured to fit into Vancouvers long term plans specifically. The new CBA found away to not only punish the team who signed the player, but also the team who has traded for him.
The "punishment" isn't much if it all. A possible 2M cap hit 8 years from now is something GMs of teams take everyday.

If the penalty was severe enough then contracts like his would still be allowed.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
1. Part of the problem is that many people disagree with how long his contract will be considered a 'non-issue'. You suggest that is it 8 years. I understand. I feel like 4 years with many years of penalty. Others will say 2 years and another group will say none at all. Since there is no way to truly measure that one aspect of his value, you will get vastly varying opinions.

2. Just out of curiosity, what are the numbers of the cap-recapture rule for Vancouver if say they never traded him and kept him? Are we talking 4M cap penalty for 4 years? Is that non issue?
I agree with your time frame, I think he has 4 more years where he can provide world class goaltending.

After that Luongo will retire - he has stated multiple times he has no desire to play in the NHL when he can't play at a high level anymore. So the team who owns his contract at that point in time will only be on the hook for his cap hit and not his salary as he will have retired.

At the point when he retires the NHL cap will likely be between 75-80M. I guarantee you there will be teams with internal budget constraints that will need to get to the cap floor, they will be more than wiling to take the contract (straight hit to cap without having to pay out actual cash) to help save their ownership cash. The team that acquires him in the coming weeks and has to take a cap hit penalty must also realize when the cap is at 75-80M a small cap hit penalty is diluted compared to today's salary cap - not a big deal at all.

There's also the possibility Luongo becomes injured with old age and is "unable to play out his contract", where there wouldn't be any cap penalties applicable at all.

People can believe whatever they want, but his cap hit isn't going to be a big liability down the road and I think a lot of GMs understand this.

Last edited by EvoLu7ioN: 01-27-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Closed Thread