HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I would torch Tambo's ass and he would have to be on cocaine and drugs to offer Eberle up as a 1 for 1 lol.

Luongo, who is probably not any good after a few years with an atrocious long contract, for young guy like Eberle? lol
trust me, 99% of Canucks fans know it won't happen

Last edited by piqued: 01-27-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: qep
Old
01-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Skead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No one expects Eberle alone for Luongo.

Hemsky/Gagner + MPS/(conditional) 1st

Is what I'd be looking for from Edmonton.
I would love to do Gagner + MPS + Pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
sorry. When you look at how much he has made during his career and the fact he is a GOOD family man--there is a price for missing time with your children growing up

btw

oiler fans hate the deal
But my point is you just never know. ***** happens in life, and maybe it makes more sense for him to ride the pine at million+ dollars a year. I think retiring early is definitely most likely; but can't guarantee it.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
JuniorNelson

If you were Luongo would you waive to go to another Canadian city? Get real. Luongo needs to shelter himself from taxes and the USA is the only way to go, for tax sheltering. The remainder of his career, played in the US will net ten to eighteen percent more money. On a multi million dollar salary, thats millions.

Talk that he may waive to go to a team that isn't in playoff contention is also unrealistic. Since the only contending Canadian team is the one he is leaving, I think it is more useful to speculate about American destinations. Who thinks they are in contention except for a goalie? That is a useful line of inquiry.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
This scenario to me suggests that the overall status of the league is struggling. If there is a vast market for acquiring dead cap space to just reach the cap floor what does that say about the financial woes of the NHL? And what do you think upon the new CBA will be done about it?

I totally get this side of the argument but the tree doesn't grow all the way up to the sky each and every year. Are we really going to see the cap at 80M is four years? 100M in eight years? Why is it being reduced from 70Mish to 63.4M? What does the increasing cap have to do with the stability of the NHL and it's teams?

The truth is we really don't know where the limit is at and sure there are going to be ways around the cap penalty that will occur do to Luongo's contract but assessing where exactly it stands is going to be difficult to tell. Probably the value of a a depth player or two? Maybe more or maybe less.

Anyway it is just one variable that effects Luongo's value. I still think you had it best with Vancouver trading him to the New York Islanders. That trade makes too much sense if Luongo wants to go there.
what does it really matter how much the cap goes up? we're talking about teams that are losing money even at the floor right now. The cap is currently just over $70mill. There are 14 teams in the league that have their salary caps at under $60mill right now.

We know the cap isn't going to drop much, if at all. You look at a team like the Isles that is operating at about $50mill right now, and they are still not profitable at that point (and likely losing money). Would this not make sense for them?

As for the point by another poster that the Isles don't make sense, keep in mind that this assumes the Canucks take on DiPeitro's contract and buy him out. The Canucks are much more able to do that then the Isles and not worry about a huge financial loss. And if they can get value for spending that money to make their team better, I gotta think that Aquillini would be willing to do that, considering how much money he's already spent on hockey operations outside the team's salary structure.

I still think the Isles make a lot of sense. Luongo is a guy that can help take that team to the next level, and I'd think that they are at that stage now, stockpiled with tons of quality prospects and have several veterans on the roster, that they'd want to try and take that next step.

And again cap space is not an issue for that team, sitting around $50mill right now with over $10mill coming off the books again after this season. They will need to find ways to get to the salary floor, and taking on Luongo's cap hit makes more sense than overpaying for marginal FAs like Florida and Columbus has done in the past to get to that floor.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:55 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Luongo gave the interview with I think Russel--where he more or less admitted when his contract goes down to a certain level he is done

You can deny it all you you like--but Luongo is not going to play out his contract and the all teams involved will take a hit when he retires before his deal is up

you call it me making ******** up

the other 29 fan bases would suggest you are in denial in what is reality

Luongo is done in 5 to 6 years and not the ten YEARS he has left

how many 40+ starting goalies are there in the league right now

one?

he wont be playing out his contract and if you believe he is--put me on your ignore list please because you will be a lot happier in the long run. there are not many posters who believe Loungo will play beyond 40

Eberle will score 50 goals in a season sooner then later and both contracts are about the same

you call is ********--I call it reality--something I suspect you do not deal with to well
The quote I believe you are looking for is from the cfox morning show, a Vancouver rock station. In the interview Lui said he is not sure he will play out his contract, it is awful long. Everyone assumes it will be when the money drops, but no one knows.

My current guess is he just goes on ltir when he wants to walk away from the game.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
The Saurus

Cory Schneider struggling thus far just seven minutes into the game. I wonder why Roberto wasn't given a start?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Cory Schneider struggling thus far just seven minutes into the game. I wonder why Roberto wasn't given a start?
Yes he's totally struggling.. Garrison throwing it up the middle to Jumbo Joe who roofs it and Edler throwing one on the tape of Pavelski to snaps it is totally struggling.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
After seeing you criticize Canucks posters yesterday for stat watching Reimer's GAA, I must say the irony is astounding.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
If it were up to me, I would have started Luongo. Just sayin'.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Tough to say, Cory was coming off a shutout, and i think he is the number one. Right move by AV imo.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Tough to say, Cory was coming off a shutout, and i think he is the number one. Right move by AV imo.
Yeah I don't think you mess with a goalie that just had a shut out.

The way the Sharks are playing to start this season, I think it was going to be tough for any of the goalies to win. Still plenty of time though.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
DJB

The more Schenieder struggles, less likely Lou is dealt.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
If you were Luongo would you waive to go to another Canadian city? Get real. Luongo needs to shelter himself from taxes and the USA is the only way to go, for tax sheltering. The remainder of his career, played in the US will net ten to eighteen percent more money. On a multi million dollar salary, thats millions.

Talk that he may waive to go to a team that isn't in playoff contention is also unrealistic. Since the only contending Canadian team is the one he is leaving, I think it is more useful to speculate about American destinations. Who thinks they are in contention except for a goalie? That is a useful line of inquiry.
Please explain the US tax advantage to me. I have no idea.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
If you are honestly going to give us Eberle for Luongo we not only accept we ****** you for a week straight in continual gratitude.
LMAO
Great post, I couldn't agree more!

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Florida for example has a really low tax rate for high salary. I'm not sure on exact numbers. But Lui would be making a lot more there than here after each season.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Considering that the league did zero to address the implications of leaving a player on LTIR for the duration of their career, I don't consider any contract unmanageable. They had two perfect examples in Pronger and Savard to address the cap circumvention ability of leaving these players active rather than having them retire. This is particularly the case in a 35+ signed contract like Pronger, whose full cap hit would count regardless of retirement. Both these two have 5 years left on their contracts.

I guess we shouldn't be shocked that these two play for two clubs with owners in the old boys network. Nor should we be shocked that somehow traded back diving contracts prior to the lock out arent going to be punished (Carter, Richards).

Claiming Luongo's contract hurts his value, to me, is short sighted and not rooted in reality. Smart GMs will find a way around it.
Good point. I can remember when the Canucks carried Moose DuPont on their books just so they could put him on the waiver draft at the begining of each season so they wouldn't have to lose a player they wanted to keep. I forget the exact details, but I got a good laugh for at least two years. DuPont had been retired about three years by the time he last appeared on the list.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
pretty simple, most states have a smaller income tax charged on your income, some states have no personal income tax at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Florida for example has a really low tax rate for high salary. I'm not sure on exact numbers. But Lui would be making a lot more there than here after each season.
The Alberta teams were #3 and #4 IIRC in lowest taxes paid. I can't remember the best teams I think Dallas was #1.

edit: Chart - to correct the misconceptions

Old
01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
RECsGuy*

IIIIIIIIIIssssssssllllllllllaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnndd ddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssss ss............

Old
01-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
With Schneider's past in the Shark Tank I was fine with AV's choice.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
With Schneider's past in the Shark Tank I was fine with AV's choice.
Luongo's no slouch against them either...he played great in the playoff series against them. And Schneider played great against LA.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
The exact number is Zero... Florida and Texas have no income tax. His Federal rate would be between 25-35% depending on his status, etc.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Luongo's no slouch against them either...he played great in the playoff series against them. And Schneider played great against LA.
Totally agree with all this but when you consider the Ana game I think Schneider was a no brainer. Luongo always got that luxury when he was our starter.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:54 AM
RECsGuy*

Islanders

2 W - 2 L - 1 OTL (5 PTS) - 8th in East

18 Goals For (3.6 Per Game) - 5th in league

18 Goals Against (3.6 Per Game) - T26th in league

Old
01-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Islanders

2 W - 2 L - 1 OTL (5 PTS) - 8th in East

18 Goals For (3.6 Per Game) - 5th in league

18 Goals Against (3.6 Per Game) - T26th in league
With that big contract on the books already, I don't know how interested they will be. Also, let 20-25 games past before we say which teams have changed their stance either way. As of right now, no team that was in or out should of changed their position because of 5 or so games

Closed Thread