HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fighting with face mask penalty?

Old
01-28-2013, 06:07 AM
eddywatson

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eddywatson Send a message via MSN to eddywatson Send a message via Yahoo to eddywatson
Fighting with face mask penalty?

Hello

I live in England and we have no NHL coverage, apart from CGL...

But I was just wanting to know something... how do people get penalties for fighting with face masks? or getting penalties for instigating a fight with a player who wears a face mask...

please can somebody clear this up for me please?
I am abit confused

Thank you

eddywatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Corncob

Relevant rules are here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26336

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:19 AM
eddywatson

Send a message via AIM to eddywatson Send a message via MSN to eddywatson Send a message via Yahoo to eddywatson
Quote:
46.6 Face Protection - If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Should the player (including a goalkeeper) who instigates the fight be wearing a face shield, but removes it before instigating the altercation, the additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty shall not apply.
Does face protection mean just a visor? or a cage?

Old
01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddywatson View Post
No, cages don't actually protect the player's face.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
No, cages don't actually protect the player's face.
Do you mean visor?

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:03 AM
TCNorthstars

Quote:
It means a visor or cage.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
eddywatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
It means a visor or cage.
So if a player for example had a visor on... that would mean in "theory" they dont fight? or it lets people know that they dont want to fight?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Kreegz2

If you wear any sort of face protection you are not supposed to be instigating a fight. If you do, you are supposed to immediately remove your entire helmet, and your opponent does as well to level the playing field. I'm not sure if it's a written rule or not but it's part of "the code"

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL0xNZ-XhmE

Kreegz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

It's kind of a dumb rule, but players should take their helmets off if they are going to fight.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2158
It means players with any sort of face mask can't instigate a fight. If they do and continue to fight with it on, they get 2 for instigating and another 2 for instigating with a face mask. They are still allowed to fight.

01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
ORYX

To be clear, as it apprears the OP is getting a little confused:

A player with a Visor on can fight. Same applies to a player with a cage if they were wearing one.

A player with a Visor on, IF they instigate a fight while still wearing said Visor, are subject to the typical 2 minutes for instigating a fight, 5 for fighting, 10 minute misconduct. They also receive another 2 minute minor for Instigating with face protection.

I dont like the rule personally because it further penalizes a team for fighting a guy who just ran their player through the boards etc. Not only will that team be down a man for the instigating penalty, but now they are going to be down another man for the second instigator with face protection.

Most players in the league now wear Visors, so while I recognize the league is trying to make it less appealing to fight someone, they are honing in on reactions and penalizing those, but not the action itself.

If you ask me, an Instigator should only be called when there is no preceeding penalty to come. In otherwords, if you run my guy through the boards and are about to get a boarding call etc, and I fight you, I shouldnt get the instigator. If I pursue you to fight, with no preceeding call, then yes, I instigated that fight, I should sit for that.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:37 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
To be clear, as it apprears the OP is getting a little confused:

A player with a Visor on can fight. Same applies to a player with a cage if they were wearing one.

A player with a Visor on, IF they instigate a fight while still wearing said Visor, are subject to the typical 2 minutes for instigating a fight, 5 for fighting, 10 minute misconduct. They also receive another 2 minute minor for Instigating with face protection.

I dont like the rule personally because it further penalizes a team for fighting a guy who just ran their player through the boards etc. Not only will that team be down a man for the instigating penalty, but now they are going to be down another man for the second instigator with face protection.

Most players in the league now wear Visors, so while I recognize the league is trying to make it less appealing to fight someone, they are honing in on reactions and penalizing those, but not the action itself.

If you ask me, an Instigator should only be called when there is no preceeding penalty to come. In otherwords, if you run my guy through the boards and are about to get a boarding call etc, and I fight you, I shouldnt get the instigator. If I pursue you to fight, with no preceeding call, then yes, I instigated that fight, I should sit for that.
The guy instigating can just take his helmet off first. It's not ideal but it only takes a second.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:40 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreegz2 View Post
If you wear any sort of face protection you are not supposed to be instigating a fight. If you do, you are supposed to immediately remove your entire helmet, and your opponent does as well to level the playing field. I'm not sure if it's a written rule or not but it's part of "the code"

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL0xNZ-XhmE

Correct, the only rule against wearing a shield in a fight is in relation to instigating a fight (Happened to Ryan O'Byrne in the Avs game against the Sharks).

As far as the rules go, there's nothing forcing your opponent to remove his helmet (visor or not). However as far as the unofficial "code" goes, it's generally viewed that if you're entering the fight with some form of advantage in the protection area (You have a visor and opponent does not, or he has already lost his helmet and you have yours), you even up with him.

Obviously the 'even up' concept doesn't apply if you get jumped, or your opponent doesn't give you a chance to reciprocate his actions. In that case, he has no one to blame but himself.

01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
The guy instigating can just take his helmet off first. It's not ideal but it only takes a second.
How is that rule interpreted though? The rule stats if he removes the helmet BEFORE instigating the altercation. So now you have a player approaching another to fight, and he's already got his bucket and gloves off before the other guy even sees him coming!

What if that player refuses to fight? You have a player skating around making the league look like a fight club circus.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
X8oD

Quote:
What if that player refuses to fight? You have a player skating around making the league look like a fight club circus.
If your goal is to instigate a fight and you are conscious enough to take off your visor first, do you really care if the other guy refuses to fight?

You are instigating a fight..... You are likely gonna need to be pulled off the guy to stop fighting.

Your scenario can only happen if two guys square off, and as the one guy removes his helmet, the other guy backs out and skates away. This happens weekly in the NHL. And likely both members get 2 minutes for delay of game.

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. If the opponent made an illegal hit he will get a penalty for it. So you aren't down one man for four minutes. If you attack an opponent after a clean hit, you had absolutely no business jumping him and deserve being down for four minutes. Just because it's a good thing to defend your teammates doesn't mean that you should be allowed to do it without any kind of punishment.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
topliner967

Quote:
Hello

I live in England and we have no NHL coverage, apart from CGL...

Premier Sports broadcasts in England, don't they?

And yes, the rules regarding fighting/instigating with visor should be reviewed.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote