HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Smif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
They need a center with size.

Colborne I don't think is it, and if someone can point out a potential 1st. line center in the system please do.

2013 1st Rd pick...

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reddaye

It's tough to see another loss, even to a team clearly better. Leafs just didn't battle hard enough after the first period.

Nice to see a goal on the PP. The PK is better than its been in years. Reimer looked steady, and made some key saves. I'd say he's taken back the starting position. JVR trade looks like its working out well for us. Kadri didn't score but looked good.

There's positives to take away from this, but it still makes you wonder when the end will be in sight and we can cheer for a winning, competitive team again.

Reddaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
Dion n kessel aren't winners plain n simple. I'm sorry for whoever is too stubborn to realize this
It's gotta be a tough world to live in -- one where you're constantly right and everyone else is perpetually wrong.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
I wonder what the Kings want for Kopitar?
Not a chance. We have a better chance acquiring O'Reilly

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rdawg1234

I'll be happy no matter what happens this season.

This draft looks to be fantastic, on the other hand playoffs would be great experience for the team and would end this dry streak.

It's a short season, so either way we'll know soon.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
So Subban is a #1 but Phaneuf isn't? I'm done with this. The grass is always greener for some people.
I thought you were done two pages ago?

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
atleast they were a powerhouse last yea ..... we havent sniffed the playoffs since when .... 2004?

"leaf fans are too impatient to rebuild", well it would sure beat what we've been given the past 8 seasons with not much NHL improvement to show for it
How is this relevant? Unless they win a cup, that's not considered successful in my books. That's like saying "at-least San Jose has made the playoffs for the past 10 years" but today they have as many Stanley Cups (That trophy that is the purpose of playing in the NHL) as Toronto. (In the last 10 years)

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
They need a center with size.

Colborne I don't think is it, and if someone can point out a potential 1st. line center in the system please do.
I know a few that could be in the system as soon as July.

Drouin, Barkov, Monahan.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
In the same post you talk about how bad the Grabo line was defensively and talk about how hard Kessel is trying?

I will say this, you are a HUGE Grabo fan, probably the biggest one on this board.

BTW your math is off,

Grabo was -1 this game so you must have been in the washroom when he was on the ice for his 3GA.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ryno23

Tonight just showed our D is soft and needs to get tougher. I think Dion needs his minutes down to about 22 or so and have a reliable partner. I like to pry Orpik from Pit and pair him up with Dion. That would be a shutdown pair and then you can put the rest in their proper place

The offence needs to have that killer instinct to either get that next goal and put teams away

ryno23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:25 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
You know how people says 95% of Leaf Fans wouldn't be able to handle a rebuild, and then those Leafs Fans yell and scream at the person who said it.

This thread has proven it.

We are all pissed at this game. We aren't a playoff team. However stop with this Phaneuf is a loser and shouldn't be our captain, and Phil Kessel is a bad hockey player and to trade everyone.

Calm the hell down, take the loss, and look towards the next game.
Dude, wtf are you talking about? Leafs fans have "handled" cheering for the worst team in professional sports since the last lockout. We have "handled" having the longest active streak of failing to make the playoffs.

You know how we have "handled" this mess? By selling out every single game, by generating the highest revenue of any NHL team, by watching in record numbers.

And you claim that Leafs fans can't handle a rebuild? WTF? What else have we been handling for all these years? We've been handling failed rebuilds and teardowns for almost a decade. Why would Leafs fans suddenly stop attending games or watching games just because a GM decided to initiate a genuine, successful rebuild?

Yeah, sure, Leafs fans will ***** about it on HFBoards. But we will still watch every.damn.game, and use our lifesavings to attend one.damn.game.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
We are the eastern version of the Calgary Flames. I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

The Flames have had 90+ pts for the last 7 years.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
43 more games to top 3 pick. At least Reimer was great.
What would you do if you had the #1 overall this year? Do you trade down to #2 or #3 if the return is good enough or are people sold on a consensus #1?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
And who would you stroll out there to play 30 mins? Fraser? He is by far our best defenceman but he needs help. He needs a better partner and we need a 2nd pairing that can also play big minutes. We need 1 legit top pairing d-man and 1 legit top 4 d-man, both preferably defensive guys.

Also Kessel is our biggest offensive threat. Theres a reason why teams play their checkings lines and top pairing defencemen when he's out their.
The point is to light a fire under him, hence the benching.

If Kessel is our biggest offensive threat he needs to start playing like it. Am I missing something here? He was PPG player last year, and this year he looks like ****. THere are no excuses, he has always been the Leafs best offensive talent and has always played against their best dmen! He needs to step it up, no excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Kostka is maybe not ready for the assignments he's been given, and while he certainly excels at AHL he has shown he can play NHL. Reality is the guy has only played 5 NHL games ever. Give him some time. He needs to learn, and needs to be given a chance to succeed

Phaneuf - look at the competition he plays against. at least give him SOME credit. its not black and white, and reality is he is not a bad defenseman

Gardiner JUST got sent down after playing two games in which he showed he was obviously not ready for an NHL return. The kid had a concussion. He looked lost and confused. Give him some time to get back to form and adjust. You don't want to rush concussions. Ask Reimer.

Kessel - you know what, this game, first period especially, was not good for him. he needed a fire lit under him, but he's been playing decent hockey in the other games. he's just been snake bitten. but that being said, i won't argue you, mostly because you didnt say "Trade him" like all the over-reactors here. so bonus points for you. i will agree to benching just because you kept a much leveler head. haha
I said trade Kessel in a previous post, I'll admit it.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Im Old Gregggg

Also when is Randy gonna yank kostka of the PP this year..... the guy is alright but there is no way in HELL he should be on the ice for over half the game, just insane

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
In the same post you talk about how bad the Grabo line was defensively and talk about how hard Kessel is trying?

Yes, and?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Tough loss for you guys. Really tough loss. Reimer played well I think, but not as great as he's being made out to be. He made no really spectacular saves, just played really solid back there. He definitely looked great in contrast to the rest of the team, which played like utter *****.

Leafs have more to give than they gave tonight, I think we all know that.

Oh and Phaneuf was terrible. Is that because of his new partner (I have no idea who this kostka guy is), or is he really having that bad a start to the season?

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Yes, and one of those goals was a tip from a point shot where the only two players within 8 feet of the puck were Gunnarsson and Gaborik.

Try again.

edit: it's interesting that you make a post like this, but don't want to hear any talk of Phaneuf's -4 tonight.
Yeah, it all makes sense, he's never to blame.

Still you can't make an excuse on the Staal goal when he was standing right beside him, unchecked as he watched him score the key goal of the game.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

The Flames have had 90+ pts for the last 7 years.
Looking in from the outside for the last few years. A middling team with no idea which way they are going. It's not the best comparison but it has merit.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
"...the Maple Leafs are proud to select from the Ottawa 67's, forward....."

I got a better one in mind, plays for the Mooseheads.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastExpress92 View Post
Still don't need a tendy?
What's a 'tendy'?

Is that like a goalie, but for babies?

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MapleLeafGardens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafGardens View Post
Truculence we need truculence our 4th line goons won the fights the team then began to play with a lot more swagger as Don Cherry said in Coach's Corner and the Leafs then went on to win the game 5-2 over the New York Rangers!!
Shocked and appalled nobody has challenged this ^! lol

Fighting no longer intimidates NHL players and teams those days kiddies are long gone.

Back in the old days of the broad street bullies maybe. But not any more. In this day and age and as we seen again tonight fighters are irrelevant on the ice. Win the fights lose the fights meh teams just shrug it off and play hard regardless of the outcomes of the fights.

Tonight both Brown and Orr won decisions in their fights but the Rangers just beared down harder and got even where it ultimately counts on the scoreboard and won the game.

MapleLeafGardens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
What would you do if you had the #1 overall this year? Do you trade down to #2 or #3 if the return is good enough or are people sold on a consensus #1?
That's a tough one. If the team at #2 wants someone we don't, let them have the first pick.

I personally want Seth Jones or Drouin.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I will say this, you are a HUGE Grabo fan, probably the biggest one on this board.

BTW your math is off,

Grabo was -1 this game so you must have been in the washroom when he was on the ice for his 3GA.
My math is not off. One of the goals the Grabo line was scored on the PP, our first in a while. I mean...you know how +/- works, right?

There is a difference between being on the ice and being responsible for a goal. This is something you have no problem understanding if it's Phaneuf we're talking about.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Tough loss for you guys. Really tough loss. Reimer played well I think, but not as great as he's being made out to be. He made no really spectacular saves, just played really solid back there. He definitely looked great in contrast to the rest of the team, which played like utter *****.

Leafs have more to give than they gave tonight, I think we all know that.

Oh and Phaneuf was terrible. Is that because of his new partner (I have no idea who this kostka guy is), or is he really having that bad a start to the season?
He was spectacular in the first 3 games and bad like the rest of our team the past two games. Not much else to say.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote