HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:28 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

reimer 3.16 .911
scribbles 2.96 .881

kadri 5 3 2 5 - 1
grabovsky 5 3 1 4 - 3
kulemin 5 0 4 4 - 2
jvr 5 3 1 4 -2
kostka 5 0 3 3 -7
phaneuf 5 0 1 1 - 8
kessel 5 0 2 2 - 2
komarov 5 0 0 0 -2

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:28 PM
e84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
Im done try to fend off the hyenas. Phaneuf is our #1 d-man and Kessel is our #1 forward and there is nothing any of you can do about it.
Thank you for pointing out our problems.

e84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Looking in from the outside for the last few years. A middling team with no idea which way they are going. It's not the best comparison but it has merit.
Had the Flames been in the East, they'd have made the playoffs in 2010, 2011 and would've made it close in 2012. Everybody says they have a ****** team, and yeah they're aging, but they've been competitive

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Toque*

Its not really that bad.

We would of Won last game (NYI) if Ben the bed Crapper was not in net.

Tonight in my book was our first real beat down.

Its just really looks bad because the last game set the narrative for tonights lose.

Ben the Bed crapper started it all.

Toque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Is that the best you got? "You're over-reacting, chill"?

The evidence is overwhelmingly in my favour. The sample size is irrelevant.
Evidence? This is not science. And sample size is very important. You need to put things into proper context.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:30 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

It's time to break up the JVR line,

Great game tonight?

Kule and JVR -2
Grabo -1

Against the Isles they were minuses also...

Now the usual suspects will chime in and say plus minus mean nadda.

Yep, sure...2 losses with this line on the ice for key goals.

JVR to Kessel's line. Worth a try since Bozak and Kessel played on Mars tonight.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Not sure, but pretending we don't need a real #1 defender is not part of the solution. The way things are currently, I would just spread out the minutes more. Give some of the other guys more minutes. I would also try to make a trade. P.K. Subban would be nice. There's a guy who could at least be a #1 at some point.
Please tell me you are joking. Please. Pleaase.

Phaneuf≠1st BUT Subban=1st???

Quote:
Im done try to fend off the hyenas. Phaneuf is our #1 d-man and Kessel is our #1 forward and there is nothing any of you can do about it. We lost tonight because the Rangers are a better team, not because of any individual player. Good night.
Well said.

I'm off too, goodnight

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by e84 View Post
Thank you for pointing out our problems.
If you go back and read my other posts I did point out the problems, but thank you for deleting half my post and making me out to be a 5 year-old homer.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rare Jewel
Patience

Well even though we had the 2 goal lead, The game never felt safe for me.

Some positives

Reimer - Despite letting in 4 goals(most of which were position players at fault) He's showing confidence again the potential to a good goalie like he did during 2011.

The P.K - something that dogged this team for the last few year is actually showing sign of vast improvement.

Liles - two heads up plays on our goals played a pretty good game overall. Is also a must on PP in the next few games over Kostka.

Kulemin - Was caught out position(due to Nash running him) on their trying goal, But I thought he was our most effective goal by a wide margin.

Komarov - Used his speed and wide stance to protect puck didn't do too much wrong

negatives

A lot

Kostka - Way too much ice time, He's right side, 3rd pairing for me.

The 1st line - Not a good night from them at all, The Rangers definitely didn't **** there pants tonight. Lupul's size, and Skill is going to be missed.

A few other points

- need to get another top 4 defensemen to pair with Dion.(preferably right handed)

- more depth and size especially on the 4th line. Orr doesn't do much for me.(Give Vik Orekovich a call)

- overall size of the forwards was rather apparent tonight. Aside from Kulemin and JVR, It's not a big group.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Tough loss for you guys. Really tough loss. Reimer played well I think, but not as great as he's being made out to be. He made no really spectacular saves, just played really solid back there. He definitely looked great in contrast to the rest of the team, which played like utter *****.

Leafs have more to give than they gave tonight, I think we all know that.

Oh and Phaneuf was terrible. Is that because of his new partner (I have no idea who this kostka guy is), or is he really having that bad a start to the season?
I have ragged on Phaneuf tonight but he actually was super solid in the first 3 games...he has had 2 BRUTAL games in a row though.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
How is this relevant? Unless they win a cup, that's not considered successful in my books. That's like saying "at-least San Jose has made the playoffs for the past 10 years" but today they have as many Stanley Cups (That trophy that is the purpose of playing in the NHL) as Toronto. (In the last 10 years)
cuz he pointed out new yorks record this season to being similar to ours so far and that now one is telling them to blow it up...
he forgot to mention 1 team is one of the best in the league right now with the best goalie in the game, solid defense, a big and tough team and some starpower up front and the other has been in shambles for a long time

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Reimer was the only guy who showed up.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hotpaws

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Dude, wtf are you talking about? Leafs fans have "handled" cheering for the worst team in professional sports since the last lockout. We have "handled" having the longest active streak of failing to make the playoffs.

You know how we have "handled" this mess? By selling out every single game, by generating the highest revenue of any NHL team, by watching in record numbers.

And you claim that Leafs fans can't handle a rebuild? WTF? What else have we been handling for all these years? We've been handling failed rebuilds and teardowns for almost a decade. Why would Leafs fans suddenly stop attending games or watching games just because a GM decided to initiate a genuine, successful rebuild?

Yeah, sure, Leafs fans will ***** about it on HFBoards. But we will still watch every.damn.game, and use our lifesavings to attend one.damn.game.
This .

It's unbelievable people can post the bs you responded to without being insane . All this crap about not being able to handle a rebuild when we've done nothing but lose for years yet continue to support the team . It just boggles the mind that people can continue to post this nonsense .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
NazemKadri43

Nor surprising when you have a career ahler playing 30 minutes a game....

NazemKadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
achtungbaby

Quote:
And who would you stroll out there to play 30 mins? Fraser? He is by far our best defenceman but he needs help. He needs a better partner and we need a 2nd pairing that can also play big minutes. We need 1 legit top pairing d-man and 1 legit top 4 d-man, both preferably defensive guys.

Also Kessel is our biggest offensive threat. Theres a reason why teams play their checkings lines and top pairing defencemen when he's out their.
That's part of the problem. I wouldn't "stroll" anyone on this defense out there for over 30 minutes in regulation. With the talent level of this back end I'd be looking at a defense by committee approach, especially in a condensed, shortened season.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Watching this team, this organization, watching some of the fans with a love/hate relationship, watching the revolving door of coaches, assistant coaches, goalie coaches, GM’s and probably a few things I’ve missed is getting too frustrating for me.
I can not never be a Leafs fan, it’s part of my DNA but it’s tiring, it’s sad really.
What have we, the most loyal fans in the NHL done to deserve this?

We see guys like free agent Brad Richards refuse to sign here. Rick Nash takes the Leafs off his list of teams to be traded to.

Why can’t we have a guy like Zach Parise who plays out his contract with the team that drafted him and signs with his boyhood team.

Will we ever have a Stamkos, a Tavares, a Seguin a Nash (opps strike him off the list) that bled blue and white growing up, dreamed of playing for the Leafs.

We hear of other players giving discounts to re-sign with the clubs that drafted them and yet we have Graboski and Lupul signing for really a little more than they should get. .

Will we ever have a star player do this to help bring Lord Stanley home?

Why did it take a first generation American kid to do it for his boyhood team?

Are we cursed?

Reading these threads with so many of us at each others throats is a direct result of the dysfunction the Leafs organization has had for far too long.

Okay, enough rambling from me.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
It's time to break up the JVR line,

Great game tonight?

Kule and JVR -2
Grabo -1

Against the Isles they were minuses also...

Now the usual suspects will chime in and say plus minus mean nadda.

Yep, sure...2 losses with this line on the ice for key goals.

JVR to Kessel's line. Worth a try since Bozak and Kessel played on Mars tonight.
Kessel -2
Bozak -2
Kadri -2
Komarov -2
Phaneuf -4
Kostka -4

You know what the difference is between these players and the ones who's +/- you just posted? These ones produced exactly zero offense.

You're trying so hard to make a point. But failing so badly.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Are we cursed?
Yes we are

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Tough loss for you guys. Really tough loss. Reimer played well I think, but not as great as he's being made out to be. He made no really spectacular saves, just played really solid back there. He definitely looked great in contrast to the rest of the team, which played like utter *****.

Leafs have more to give than they gave tonight, I think we all know that.

Oh and Phaneuf was terrible. Is that because of his new partner (I have no idea who this kostka guy is), or is he really having that bad a start to the season?
Typical game from Dion and his partner while being overplayed still had a decent game .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:35 PM
garce

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Evgeni Malkin has a -3 despite being on a much better team. Gauging one's performance by solely looking at the stat sheet is not wise.

Phaneuf's demonstrated against Pittsburgh that he could contain the best defensively. He brought in a similar game today, but it is clear that the Leafs were simply overwhelmed by the cup-contending Rangers.

The defensive core was actually decent including Kostkaa. I feel that the downfall had a lot more to do with the forwards outside of Grabs line. Lupul's absence is quite obvious and it's unfortunate that one like Joe Colborne or Tyler Biggs aren't ready yet. Some more size on the top-9 would really help.
Clearly there is one player who is not enjoying Carlyle, I have been a Kessel fan from the get go, his body language tells me he is done in TO. Trade him now for the best return possible (top pick, +top prospect or pick)

garce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Watching this team, this organization, watching some of the fans with a love/hate relationship, watching the revolving door of coaches, assistant coaches, goalie coaches, GMís and probably a few things Iíve missed is getting too frustrating for me.
I can not never be a Leafs fan, itís part of my DNA but itís tiring, itís sad really.
What have we, the most loyal fans in the NHL done to deserve this?

We see guys like free agent Brad Richards refuse to sign here. Rick Nash takes the Leafs off his list of teams to be traded to.

Why canít we have a guy like Zach Parise who plays out his contract with the team that drafted him and signs with his boyhood team.

Will we ever have a Stamkos, a Tavares, a Seguin a Nash (opps strike him off the list) that bled blue and white growing up, dreamed of playing for the Leafs.

We hear of other players giving discounts to re-sign with the clubs that drafted them and yet we have Graboski and Lupul signing for really a little more than they should get. .

Will we ever have a star player do this to help bring Lord Stanley home?

Why did it take a first generation American kid to do it for his boyhood team?

Are we cursed?

Reading these threads with so many of us at each others throats is a direct result of the dysfunction the Leafs organization has had for far too long.

Okay, enough rambling from me.
Great post. I feel exactly the same way.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
getyourselfsomerest

Carlyle is a terrible coach. He can't adapt at all during a game. Last night, Franson is on for two back to back goals, he doesn't call a timeout. Tonight, the team is obviously offensively inept and he doesn't shake the lines. He plays Kostka instead of the 2 assist Liles on the PP. Bozak and MacArthur clearly aren't the right linemates for Kessel yet he still goes to it. Komisarek was on of the best Dmen and he plays 14 minutes, Fraser with a ridiculous 6 minutes. Fraser, Brown, Orr with a combined 13 minutes. McClement being misused. The SAME Rangers set play kept working EVERY SINGLE TIME and they got in the zone easily.

It's not "fire Carlyle" time yet, but I'm already sick of him. There's no way Getzlaf or Perry are coming here. He makes the team work hard at practice, yet he doesn't work during the game. I though he was supposed to motivate players. Instead they looked shellshocked since the 2nd period of the Isles game Ridiculous.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
That's part of the problem. I wouldn't "stroll" anyone on this defense out there for over 30 minutes in regulation. With the talent level of this back end I'd be looking at a defense by committee approach, especially in a condensed, shortened season.
I agree with you, but we don't really have a defence core with multiple guys to depend on. We have 1, MAYBE 2, above average defencemen, not enough to have a defence by committee strategy. This team needs to at least retool the defence to be competetive and Phaneuf is part of the solution not a part of the problem.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I will say this, you are a HUGE Grabo fan, probably the biggest one on this board.

BTW your math is off,

Grabo was -1 this game so you must have been in the washroom when he was on the ice for his 3GA.
You don't get a +1 for a PPG.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Smif

I really feel the GM needs to come out and say we're going to rebuild. If that was said the fans would have a lot more patience. Right now, no one really knows which direction we're going in and the fans reactions (based on this forum) are all over the place.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote