HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Evidence? This is not science. And sample size is very important. You need to put things into proper context.
The sample size is 3+ years.

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Winreims

vCash: 500
23 games into Carlyle's tenure and people are already sick of him and calling him a terrible coach, despite the fact he's won a Stanley Cup... wow

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

When were Leafs fans polled about whether they could handle a rebuild? This crap started about 10 years ago with Damien Cox before he realized he'd better stop crapping on the Leafs fanbase when he started getting a regular cheque from Rogers. I think it's the Toronto media and Sportsnet and TSN that can't handle a rebuild.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
It's time to break up the JVR line,

Great game tonight?

Kule and JVR -2
Grabo -1

Against the Isles they were minuses also...

Now the usual suspects will chime in and say plus minus mean nadda.

Yep, sure...2 losses with this line on the ice for key goals.

JVR to Kessel's line. Worth a try since Bozak and Kessel played on Mars tonight.
Bozak and Kessel haven't played well together in any of the games this season (even strength). Too soft and are useless along the boards. It's time Carlyle broke up those two guys, and got rid of Kostka on the PP.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
My math is not off. One of the goals the Grabo line was scored on the PP, our first in a while. I mean...you know how +/- works, right?

There is a difference between being on the ice and being responsible for a goal. This is something you have no problem understanding if it's Phaneuf we're talking about.
I know you tried to blame Phaneuf on the Staal goal when Grabo missed checking Staal, just how since he was a ft away from him, only Grabo knows.

I'm not saying Phaneuf had a good game, but I have spread the blame around. You on the other hand are misleading this forum intentionally by blaming Phaneuf for Grabo missing his man on the key goal of the game.

This is what makes you not creditable. LR saw it, and asked you how was that Phaneuf's man? So clearly I didn't miss it too.

Try to be more objective because you cherry pick players to critique. Ie. Kessel

When Grabo was in a slump and playing awful earlier this year, you kept saying he would get hot. You never seen Kessel get hot as a Leaf? Both are streaky players, but Kessel infact was a more consistent player last year, but you nail him and leave the other alone. We get it, Grabo is your boy. No kidding.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I really feel the GM needs to come out and say we're going to rebuild. If that was said the fans would have a lot more patience. Right now, no one really knows which direction we're going in and the fans reactions (based on this forum) are all over the place.
I'd like him to come out and say he's sticking with Reimer and has no intentions of trading for Luongo.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Watching this team, this organization, watching some of the fans with a love/hate relationship, watching the revolving door of coaches, assistant coaches, goalie coaches, GMís and probably a few things Iíve missed is getting too frustrating for me.
I can not never be a Leafs fan, itís part of my DNA but itís tiring, itís sad really.
What have we, the most loyal fans in the NHL done to deserve this?

We see guys like free agent Brad Richards refuse to sign here. Rick Nash takes the Leafs off his list of teams to be traded to.

Why canít we have a guy like Zach Parise who plays out his contract with the team that drafted him and signs with his boyhood team.

Will we ever have a Stamkos, a Tavares, a Seguin a Nash (opps strike him off the list) that bled blue and white growing up, dreamed of playing for the Leafs.

We hear of other players giving discounts to re-sign with the clubs that drafted them and yet we have Graboski and Lupul signing for really a little more than they should get. .

Will we ever have a star player do this to help bring Lord Stanley home?

Why did it take a first generation American kid to do it for his boyhood team?

Are we cursed?

Reading these threads with so many of us at each others throats is a direct result of the dysfunction the Leafs organization has had for far too long.

Okay, enough rambling from me.
truthfully, Richards was never going to come here.

But I think it's the players who are Toronto (area) born and bled that makes me raise my eyebrows. Why won't they come here? As much as we say the culture in the organization every organization has their bunch of yahoos (Boston had it for ages, Islanders, etc).

You can't really blame it on the dollar/taxes because we have people signing in Ottawa/Montreal. (gag me).

As much as we're all **** this person and so on, we're pretty loyal people so we will worship you till kingdom come. (Or at least pretend until you do something stupid).

I blame the Media. (And the weather).

But if I were the GM/Coach, I'd be playing the fact up that the Leafs HAVEN'T won the cup in so long. I mean, Boston winning after all that time was huge. Ditto Chicago. When the Leafs win it, it's going to blow what happened in New York/Detriot combined. They'd be treated as GODS.

but i think it takes a lot of mental toughnes to play here too.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Quote:
I really feel the GM needs to come out and say we're going to rebuild. If that was said the fans would have a lot more patience. Right now, no one really knows which direction we're going in and the fans reactions (based on this forum) are all over the place.
Well therein lies the problem. Management has never been clear in stating exactly what the plan is. Many have speculated and claimed to know the plan without any proof. I still have no idea what the plan is. Are we still rebuilding on the fly? Are we going to build through draft? What exactly are we doing?

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:42 PM
MapleLeafGardens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garce View Post
Clearly there is one player who is not enjoying Carlyle, I have been a Kessel fan from the get go, his body language tells me he is done in TO. Trade him now for the best return possible (top pick, +top prospect or pick)
This ^ i'm on board with trading Kessel he's a one trick pony that isn't producing for Carlyle trade him for a young stud centerman who can score and play both ends of the ice like a Tyler Seguin.

Under Rotten' Ronnie Kessel could just float around the offensive zone and wait for the puck under Carlyle a more defensive minded coach Kessel looks lost and his game has gone into the tank.

Trade Kessel & Phaneuf for rebuilding blocks or picks go for MacKinnon or Jones etc...

MapleLeafGardens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
The sample size is 3+ years.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

Quote:

I agree. I think Nonis has the same deck of cards that Burke had 5ish years ago. We're really not expecting a lot. We want a lot - we're just not expecting it.

I would personally (and this is not going off a "ahmahgawd we LOST reaction") Identify who you want to build your team around, and trade/sell off the rest. get picks and players and take the next 2-3 years building around Randy's system. Use your system of players in the Marlies, cultivate the picks and then launch out. Had Burke done this 4 years ago (and fired Wilson right off the bat) we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

but I am pretty sure we don't have a lot of contracts committed next year. we could totally buy/design a new team.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
What are Gabby's career stats against the Leafs? Honestly.
11 goals - 9 assists -16 games

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:45 PM
bunjay

Quote:
I know you tried to blame Phaneuf on the Staal goal when Grabo missed checking Staal, just how since he was a ft away from him, only Grabo knows.

I'm not saying Phaneuf had a good game, but I have spread the blame around. You on the other hand are misleading this forum intentionally by blaming Phaneuf for Grabo missing his man on the key goal of the game.

This is what makes you not creditable. LR saw it, and asked you how was that Phaneuf's man? So clearly I didn't miss it too.
Creditable is not a word. I misread one play and didn't catch a replay.

Quote:
Try to be more objective because you cherry pick players to critique. Ie. Kessel
I criticize players who look like ****. You are in fact singling out Grabovski, as you often do. In a game where you can count on one hand the number of players who had a good game, and he was one of them.

You've gone on and on about the goal that was Grabo's fault. He also scored a goal and created another. Those happened to be the only goals the Leafs scored tonight. His line was matched up against Nash - Richards - Gaborik as much as possible. Every line was -2 tonight, except only one actually did anything, and only one spent most of their shifts against the oppositions super-powered line.

Quote:
When Grabo was in a slump and playing awful earlier this year, you kept saying he would get hot.
All two games of that awful slump? Then he got hot. Not getting your point here.

I also recall you saying that MacArthur was the only one on the Grabo line who was doing anything during those two games. Turns out you don't really know what you're looking at, because MacArthur has been useless since the first puck-drop and everybody can see it.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Kessel -2
Bozak -2
Kadri -2
Komarov -2
Phaneuf -4
Kostka -4

You know what the difference is between these players and the ones who's +/- you just posted? These ones produced exactly zero offense.

You're trying so hard to make a point. But failing so badly.
I posted the only player that would get a star from me tonight is Reimer, I didn't think anyone else played well tonight. SPREAD THE BLAME.

You on the other hand keeps saying one player was very good tonight, easy guess who that player was when you post every second post about him.

Old
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
23 games into Carlyle's tenure and people are already sick of him and calling him a terrible coach, despite the fact he's won a Stanley Cup... wow
Yeah, won a championship...6 years ago, on a team that had 2 of the best Dmen of all time. There's no reason to make the boneheaded decisions he's been making. Does he put in a good system? Maybe, but he clearly doesn't adapt during the game.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
I agree. I think Nonis has the same deck of cards that Burke had 5ish years ago. We're really not expecting a lot. We want a lot - we're just not expecting it.

I would personally (and this is not going off a "ahmahgawd we LOST reaction") Identify who you want to build your team around, and trade/sell off the rest. get picks and players and take the next 2-3 years building around Randy's system. Use your system of players in the Marlies, cultivate the picks and then launch out. Had Burke done this 4 years ago (and fired Wilson right off the bat) we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

but I am pretty sure we don't have a lot of contracts committed next year. we could totally buy/design a new team.
Is Carlyle even Nonis' coach? I don't think he is.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Thought that was about something else.

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
All the GM has to do is not trade our ****ing 1st round pick prior to the season . That's all i ever ask for , just keep the pick and let the season play out how it will . If we're out of the playoffs then deal any unwanted vets for picks .

Is this so freaking much too ask for ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Interactif

I guess saying Bozak and Kessel played on Mars tonight was a criticism of Grabovski.

Unbelievable the lengths some will go to.

Old
MapleLeafGardens*

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
Yeah, won a championship...6 years ago, on a team that had 2 of the best Dmen of all time. There's no reason to make the boneheaded decisions he's been making. Does he put in a good system? Maybe, but he clearly doesn't adapt during the game.
Agreed and Burke won a cup so what his legacy here is one of failure & dismissal.

Speaking of Burke how many years did he sign Carlyle for?

MapleLeafGardens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmachine View Post
Way to play 1 period Leafs. Go Leafs Go!?
They were outshot 3-14 in that period?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bunjay

Quote:
I posted the only player that would get a star from me tonight is Reimer, I didn't think anyone else played well tonight. SPREAD THE BLAME.

You on the other hand keeps saying one player was very good tonight, easy guess who that player was when you post every second post about him.
The entire Grabo line was good. Of course they were responsible for a goal against. Nash-Richards-Gaborik might be the best line in the NHL right now, and that's who they were put out against over and over.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Kessel is COMPLETELY ineffective against teams with size.

Grabovski line was the only line that was good BUT 3 of those goals were when their line was playing.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
He's not a terrible coach. Teams have had great D-men and have not won the cup in the past.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
This team needs to bottom out and get a legit star in the line up.

I'm tired of that top line. I honestly don't care if Bozak's line scores 0 goals this season as long as they aren't a defensively liability every time they step on the ice.

I don't know how anyone can be happy that our best player disappears against the tough teams.

I can bet without even looking that Kessel has terrible stats against:

-Bruins
-Flyers
-Rangers
-NJ
-Penguins

This is truly unacceptable. We need to get a PWF on that line ASAP.

Kessel just has ZERO space at all against hard nosed teams and him not driving to the net much doesn't help his cause.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote