HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
bunjay

vCash: 500
When Kessel isn't creating offense we might as well throw a lifesize cardboard cutout of him over the boards to play his shifts.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
did you even watch the game? or this season?

Komi had one of the most consistent games. he played well.

he re-tooled and re-calibrated this off-season. he's been actually doing well. Maybe not making highlight plays, but I'd rather him be unnoticeable and serviceable than me noticing him every single night because he keeps making dumb mistakes.
The real sad thing is just how similar Kostka and Komisarek are as players. I've little doubt that, if Carlyle played Kostka like he's playing Komisarek, Kostka would be looking just as good.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
KAVORKA

Phaneuf as C experiment is over. You can't have a Captain who is negligent in his own position lead this team of young players.

Carlyle!!! for the love of god please don't make Kostka your Woz. Franson should be given a legit shot to stay in the line up, at least a 5-8 game commitment.

KAVORKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

There are some nice pieces, but still a lot of work to do here.

We have to give the new GM time to correct the mess left by the last guy.

Kessel is in one of his slumps, he disappears and reappears.

It is a big jump from the AHL to the NHL so just because someone looks good in the AHL doesn't mean they're going to be able to handle a full time NHL job.

I think the 2nd. line is looking good, and the 3rd. line has occasions when they impress.

Komarov is proving he can play with these guys.

Reimer looked good, but he wasn't helped a lot and his defense was slow reacting.

Kostka was exposed tonight, on the one goal he backed off way too quickly and then ended up being a spectator on IIRC the tying goal.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
thanks dude with the St. Louis Blue avatar
typical response. "you're not a realer fan than me so your opinion is invalid"

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
How can anybody take anything any of you say seriously? Tonight you think the team is garbage. Our next win you're gonna think we're on the path to the playoffs. The truth is a lot of you don't know what the **** you're talking about.
And it's just as annoying to listen to people standing on a stupid pedestal and talking down to others! Welcome to the internet and welcome to fans of sports! People react to what happens. No one is impressed by you acting like you have some grand insight here.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

Has RC had his presser yet?

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lordsithis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I am really starting to realize just how bad the Kessel trade was. Brian Burke was absolutely bent over on that deal...what a farce.

What an absolute joke of a team. Let's face it folks, we are heading for a bottom 10 pick - however, we are likely good enough to keep it near 8th or 7th, just outside of the impact centres.

Trade Kessel.

Send Kostka down.
I wouldn't mind Kessel being traded honestly. Lacks heart, tenacity, and lately scoring.

Just not the type of player I want in a Leafs uniform.

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Still don't understand why every coach feels it's a good idea to play Phaneuf 30 effing minutes a game.

Like, no wonder he's -8, he's on every other shift!

Give the guy a break, and let the rest of the defensemen see some playing time. Playing Phaneuf so much isn't good for anyone. Phaneuf starts getting tired, especially in a short season, and then makes bad plays that he normally wouldn't... just frustrating to watch.
Agreed. However he's our only player good enough to justify matching up against the best line in the NHL (yeah I said it) and he had to do it beside somebody who on any solid defensive team would be a 3rd pairing guy.

It's him or Gunnarsson and idk about you but I wouldn't want Gunnarsson and Kostka/any of our other AHL calibre guys on the ice at the same time as those guys. In a perfect world we'd be able to pair Phaneuf with Gunnarsson but sadly it's not possible. For chemistry reasons and because we need someone to anchor the second pairing.

We can blame Phaneuf all we want but it's stupid to ignore the rest of our defencemen.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

Quote:
How can anybody take anything any of you say seriously? Tonight you think the team is garbage. Our next win you're gonna think we're on the path to the playoffs. The truth is a lot of you don't know what the **** you're talking about.
Must be amazing to be as smart,cool and collective and non-judgemental as you.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
As soon as Gardiner is back I want Fraser/Kostka demoted to the Marlies or Kostka the 7th D-man.

Phaneuf-Gunnar

Liles-Gardiner

Komisarek-Franson
I think you can rotate Kostka with Komisarek and Franson pretty confortably. The reason why Kostka is playing so poorly is because he's being put in positions where he has no chance to succeed.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Our next win will be against a team that has trouble dealing with fast teams, and/or is tired from playing back to back or tired from playing x amount of games in y amount of nights. Our next win will come when at least 70% of our team shows up instead of 1-3 players.

This team is simply not good enough, and not consistent enough.

The only time this team actually looks good is when the stars align and everyone has their good game on the same night.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Wow, so I guess we would be a better team without Phaneuf and Kessel? People need to get their heads out of their ***es realize that its the talent surrounding these 2 guys that is the problem. You can't expect these 2 to put the team on their backs when teams know they just have to shut the two of them down to win.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:04 PM
THHT

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The sooner others realize this, and tone down the undeserved praise for the gist of our mediocre players, the easier getting through this season and the next will be.

Leafs fans need to adopt the Jays-fan mentality. Lower our expectations and things wont be so painful as the build goes on.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
thanks dude with the St. Louis Blue avatar
I've been a Leafs pretty much my whole life, but I'm just saying! It's the truth! Do you really think I'm wrong? Like C'mon.

And it's no exxageration either, after every single loss it's "trade Kessel" "this team is finishing bottom 5" "no talent on this team". After every single win it's "so glad we have (player1)! things are looking good for this team!" "nice I ****ing love this team man!!"

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto View Post
Not really. If Calgary played in the East they would easily make the playoffs every year. They got a great goalie and some actual talent on the ice.
No they don't and no they wouldn't.

Calgary is where we were at the tail end of the muskoka five days, aka the darkest time in Leafs history.

We lost to the rangers. You know its bound to happen when you are the youngest (2nd youngest?) team in the league.

We need to get bigger to play the Rags and Bruins and expect points. Plain and simple.

I like what Ive seen out of the Leafs so far, so should anyone with realistic expectations.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I am really starting to realize just how bad the Kessel trade was. Brian Burke was absolutely bent over on that deal...what a farce.

What an absolute joke of a team. Let's face it folks, we are heading for a bottom 10 pick - however, we are likely good enough to keep it near 8th or 7th, just outside of the impact centres.

Trade Kessel.

Send Kostka down.
If Nonis is smart, he will absolutely do just that. As has been said numerous times, no team will ever win with Kessel as their best player.

What are the odds of Kessel bolting when he becomes a free agent?

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dougy

Wouldn't be surprised to see them bring up Connolly for the next game, just to shake things up. He's scored in 3 straight down there since he's been reassigned.

dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Im Old Gregggg

also in regards to the title, we could only wish we were the oilers..... unfortunately we are the ****ing flames of the east (makes me sick to my stomach)

mediocre team whos arent good enough to crack the playoffs and to unlucky/bad to completely tank

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:05 PM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAVORKA View Post
Phaneuf as C experiment is over. You can't have a Captain who is negligent in his own position lead this team of young players.

Carlyle!!! for the love of god please don't make Kostka your Woz. Franson should be given a legit shot to stay in the line up, at least a 5-8 game commitment.
Negligent in his own position?

Franson sucks I don't know why everyone values him so highly.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
As soon as Gardiner is back I want Fraser/Kostka demoted to the Marlies or Kostka the 7th D-man.

Phaneuf-Gunnar

Liles-Gardiner

Komisarek-Franson
Do not agree. Phaneuf is not a #1 defender! Phaneuf should not be put out against the best players. Why do you think the Rangers decided to constantly put their top line out there against Phaneuf. How often do you see a coach match their best line against the other teams #1 defender. NEVER.

Phaneuf needs to play second pairing with first unit PP time. And he should not be the captain.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
Yes, playing quite well but letting in 4 goals in a 5-2 loss certainly means that not being selected qualifies the CBC as Toronto haters...

I agree, that doesn't make CBC Leafs haters.

But almost every word that comes out of Jim Hughson and Glenn Healy demonstrate their dislike for the Leafs.

Now that Bell and Rogers own the Leafs, I hope that they bid highly enough to take away any Leafs games from CBC.

Lets see that useless channel plummet into further irrelevance once they lose the Leafs from the primetime slot. Lets see how many millions of viewers they lose when they show Winnipeg and Ottawa playing in that slot.

Unless Hughson and Healy are fired, I don't want CBC to broadcast Leafs games. Hopefully once Bell and Rogers outbid CBC, Hughson and Healy will be unemployed because CBC cannot stay afloat without the Leafs.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, you ingrates.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

We have to give the new GM time to correct the mess left by the last guy.

Kessel is in one of his slumps, he disappears and reappears.

It is a big jump from the AHL to the NHL so just because someone looks good in the AHL doesn't mean they're going to be able to handle a full time NHL job.

I think the 2nd. line is looking good, and the 3rd. line has occasions when they impress.

Komarov is proving he can play with these guys.

Reimer looked good, but he wasn't helped a lot and his defense was slow reacting.

Kostka was exposed tonight, on the one goal he backed off way too quickly and then ended up being a spectator on IIRC the tying goal.
Matchups were bad, Grabo's line was the defacto first line tonight with Bozie and Kessel on Mars. And as we saw, when they go up against Richards and Nash, they were no match. I don't know how anyone can say they played a good game tonight when you are on the ice and hemmed in for the key goals of the night. It's not their fault that RC has no one else to go to. Mismatch. Don't have the horses.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
darty

Poor second period, awful third period. Everyone standing around watching while the Rags took over. The tying goal especially was painfully easy for them.

No one clears the front of our net. Even big guys like Komi and Phaneuf don't clear anyone away from the front of the net.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote