HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I agree, that doesn't make CBC Leafs haters.

But almost every word that comes out of Jim Hughson and Glenn Healy demonstrate their dislike for the Leafs.

Now that Bell and Rogers own the Leafs, I hope that they bid highly enough to take away any Leafs games from CBC.

Lets see that useless channel plummet into further irrelevance once they lose the Leafs from the primetime slot. Lets see how many millions of viewers they lose when they show Winnipeg and Ottawa playing in that slot.

Unless Hughson and Healy are fired, I don't want CBC to broadcast Leafs games. Hopefully once Bell and Rogers outbid CBC, Hughson and Healy will be unemployed because CBC cannot stay afloat without the Leafs.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, you ingrates.
I am telling you. If you transplanted the entire NYR team to Toronto, CBC would still find a way to slag them. And when the Leafs win the stanley cup, it will not be because we won 16 games it's because everyone else stank. And good or bad (or horrendous) that the Leafs may be, they sell every game and still are very valuable. Most of these people in media wouldn't be anywhere without the Leafs. I dont get this.

I doubt though CBC would allow Bell/Rogers to take the games though

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Smif

Sounds like a perfect game for me to miss, glad I forgot to DVR it. Excited to hear that our most important young player had a good game though, REALLY encouraging to hear.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Matchups were bad, Grabo's line was the defacto first line tonight with Bozie and Kessel on Mars. And as we saw, when they go up against Richards and Nash, they were no match. I don't know how anyone can say they played a good game tonight when you are on the ice and hemmed in for the key goals of the night. It's not their fault that RC has no one else to go to. Mismatch. Don't have the horses.
Kostka and Phaneuf were on for 4 goals against.

I thought the PK was okay.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

On the bright side... JVR looks great.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Woll Smoth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
No they don't and no they wouldn't.

Calgary is where we were at the tail end of the muskoka five days, aka the darkest time in Leafs history.

We lost to the rangers. You know its bound to happen when you are the youngest (2nd youngest?) team in the league.

We need to get bigger to play the Rags and Bruins and expect points. Plain and simple.

I like what Ive seen out of the Leafs so far, so should anyone with realistic expectations.
This means absolutely nothing when one of the youngest teams in the league just won the Stanley Cup.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
**** defending this team.... we are garbage, they havent done ANYTHING for the fans the past decade, we are the laughing stock of the league. We've been defending this team to death from other teams fans since the last lockout, I say we stop supporting these bums to they earn our trust back and make the playoffs

I had faith in burke but we need to completely purge the **** off this team and hit the restart button, we arent gonna be winning anything with a loser like dion captaining this ship
rangers are now 2-3...so they should purge as well?

01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Still don't understand why every coach feels it's a good idea to play Phaneuf 30 effing minutes a game.

Like, no wonder he's -8, he's on every other shift!

Give the guy a break, and let the rest of the defensemen see some playing time. Playing Phaneuf so much isn't good for anyone. Phaneuf starts getting tired, especially in a short season, and then makes bad plays that he normally wouldn't... just frustrating to watch.
2005-2006 Flames 5
2006-2007 Flames 10
2007-2008 Flames 12
2008-2009 Flames -11
2009-2010 Flames 3
2009-2010 Maple Leafs -2
2010-2011 Maple Leafs -2
2011-2012 Maple Leafs -10
2012-2013 Maple Leafs -8
NHL TOTALS 1

I guess he has always played 25 plus minutes

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
You've almost restored my faith in the fan base. It's such a shame you're so badly outnumbered.
This +1.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Loooool.

You actually think that a few years of competing until the very last day of the season for a playoff spot is the darkest time in Leafs history.

You cannot be serious.
we're a team that's never won a Cup in the common era, the last 40 years have been a "dark time"

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Mike Kostka - demote. He is an AHL level dman

Dion Phaneuf - bench for a game. -8 is unacceptable

Jake Gardiner - recall.

Phil Kessel - bench for a game. His effort level is absolutely unacceptable

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
darty

Grabo's line had as good a game as you could ask from them tonight. The fourth line wasn't terrible either. Hard to blame Reimer tonight.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:13 PM
KAVORKA

I can only hope that Nonis doesn't have a tie losening stroke and get Luongo. Please lets keep our core players and convert expendible assets into draft picks. Let's do this right

KAVORKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Longshot

James Mirtle reported on Twitter that Kostka played 32 minutes tonight. If that's not the definition of absurd coaching I don't know what is.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Do not agree. Phaneuf is not a #1 defender! Phaneuf should not be put out against the best players. Why do you think the Rangers decided to constantly put their top line out there against Phaneuf. How often do you see a coach match their best line against the other teams #1 defender. NEVER.

Phaneuf needs to play second pairing with first unit PP time. And he should not be the captain.
More to do with who his partner is, Kostka, than Dion himself.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
There are some nice pieces, but still a lot of work to do here.

We have to give the new GM time to correct the mess left by the last guy.

Kessel is in one of his slumps, he disappears and reappears.

It is a big jump from the AHL to the NHL so just because someone looks good in the AHL doesn't mean they're going to be able to handle a full time NHL job.

I think the 2nd. line is looking good, and the 3rd. line has occasions when they impress.

Komarov is proving he can play with these guys.

Reimer looked good, but he wasn't helped a lot and his defense was slow reacting.

Kostka was exposed tonight, on the one goal he backed off way too quickly and then ended up being a spectator on IIRC the tying goal.
I agree, I like the system, but we're not there yet, we need more depth and that comes with drafting and making schrewd trades

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I agree, that doesn't make CBC Leafs haters.

But almost every word that comes out of Jim Hughson and Glenn Healy demonstrate their dislike for the Leafs.

Now that Bell and Rogers own the Leafs, I hope that they bid highly enough to take away any Leafs games from CBC.

Lets see that useless channel plummet into further irrelevance once they lose the Leafs from the primetime slot. Lets see how many millions of viewers they lose when they show Winnipeg and Ottawa playing in that slot.

Unless Hughson and Healy are fired, I don't want CBC to broadcast Leafs games. Hopefully once Bell and Rogers outbid CBC, Hughson and Healy will be unemployed because CBC cannot stay afloat without the Leafs.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, you ingrates.
You got to be deaf not to see those two hate Toronto. Hughson cause he's a 'Nucks fan and Healy cause he thinks he should have got the GM job instead of JFJ.

CBC should have left Hughson in Vancouver and paid for Cuthbert or the other guy TSN took, to do Toronto games.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bunjay

The problem tonight wasnt how badly we got outshot, or the offense, or the goaltending, or even the special teams.

The problem was that at a time when all the team had to do was focus on defense, they allowed five unanswered goals. FIVE. Make the obvious, easy, low risk play for two periods. Ice the puck when you have to. Play a boring game. Concentrate on your assignments, don't get caught daydreaming. The team as a whole is not capable of this.

Oh well. If you can say the goaltending and special teams weren't a problem, that's about a 300% improvement from last year

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Griffski

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
did you even watch the game? or this season?

Komi had one of the most consistent games. he played well.

he re-tooled and re-calibrated this off-season. he's been actually doing well. Maybe not making highlight plays, but I'd rather him be unnoticeable and serviceable than me noticing him every single night because he keeps making dumb mistakes.
Both are too slow for the NHL.

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
This means absolutely nothing when one of the youngest teams in the league just won the Stanley Cup.
oh common that was a once in a blue moon exception.

Young teams are very rarely victorious. Even the Oil in the eighties took a few years before they became winners.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
James Mirtle reported on Twitter that Kostka played 32 minutes tonight. If that's not the definition of absurd coaching I don't know what is.
That's just stupid, it really is. No need to play him that much

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah. Would everyone love it if we had a bunch of 20 year old misfits or 4th liners?

Average age is a silly stat. If we get Luongo our average age jumps up top 10 instead of being the youngest.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Let's fire him

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
........ what team are you talking about?
LA? how "young" were they?
and if not them, who?

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ari91

So it seems that if you're the opposition, being down 2 goals after the first period against the Leafs is exactly what you want to happen.

Leafs didn't play like they deserved the win and they didn't get it. Don't care what the reasons may be and it's very early into the season but two games in a row, if this is the beginning of a pattern for this season, it probably won't take them long to mathematically eliminate themselves from a playoff spot.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CBinTokyo

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Is that the best you got? "You're over-reacting, chill"?

The evidence is overwhelmingly in my favour. The sample size is irrelevant.
The sample size is never irrelevant. Fact is, we have seen some significant changes very early in the tenure of a new coach. It will take time for the culture and the team to change. We have some solid pieces, and they need time to come together under the new system.

There is no instant gratification as any leaf fan should know

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote