HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm Jfj

View Poll Results: What should JFJ do during the draft?
Select Top Scoring Prospect 32 80.00%
Select Top Defense Prospect 4 10.00%
Select Top Goalie Prospect 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
  #1
-PrO-B1-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: >Canada<>home of WJC
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
Gm Jfj

What should JFJ do if t here was to be a NHL Draft held this June or next Aug-Oct?

-PrO-B1- is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:38 AM
  #2
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Scoring prospect goalies generally take such a long time to develop and there seems to be a plethora of good young goalies around the NHL right now that you could pick up if you needed one. As for a defense prospect where we pick we wont get a prospect with as much upside as Carlo as well as our NHL defense already being quite young.

VanW27 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:41 AM
  #3
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,168
vCash: 500
Leafs need a skilled winger with great speed and size.

BuppY is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
  #4
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,721
vCash: 500
They need to draft a top-line offensive player.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 09:55 AM
  #5
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Unless it is a very deep draft finding a top prospect at any position will be difficult if the draft lottery is fixed so that teams of the same league as the Leafs last seaon pick in the 20's.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
  #6
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,826
vCash: 500
Offense, offense, offense.

The NNHL will focus completely on opening up the game.

Don't waste another pick on a two-way player.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 10:40 AM
  #7
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Buy a first rounder.

We have ours.

Offer Pittsburgh $5,000,000. Or $10,000,000 for theirs.

Think about it...we can't buy players in free agency, but this wouldn't count against the cap...(although I believe there is a cap on dollars that can be sent...so maybe we could only afford a 2nd rounder...)

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 02:29 PM
  #8
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Buy a first rounder.

We have ours.

Offer Pittsburgh $5,000,000. Or $10,000,000 for theirs.

Think about it...we can't buy players in free agency, but this wouldn't count against the cap...(although I believe there is a cap on dollars that can be sent...so maybe we could only afford a 2nd rounder...)
Hey, great idea.

Force a 25 million dollar floor in the new cba, with a ceiling of 30 million, and then offer 10 millin for Pitts first rounder, 9 million for Carolina's first rounder, 8 for Phoenix's first rounder, 7 million for Boston's first rounder, and there you have it.

Leafs hard cap: 30 million
Leaf picks: 34 million

Total: $64 million, right back where the started from.

Jacobs doesn't care about his team, just the money.
Carolina will need that money just to pay for operating costs for their empty arena.
Phoenix is renting out their arena to the WHA, so we know they are hard up for cash.

Pittsburgh, can only afford a $15 million dollar floor so they'll do whatever they can to stay a league doormat.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:11 PM
  #9
Dark Knight
We The North !!
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,024
vCash: 500
Defense.

If we're stacked in one position...keep improving it. Defense wins championships.

Dark Knight is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:57 PM
  #10
Pulfy14
Registered User
 
Pulfy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
In the first round we should draft a defensmen and in the third round since we don't have a second draft syvret or a decent forward. Also try to trade for a top 10 overall pick if we don't get one

Pulfy14 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
  #11
-PrO-B1-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: >Canada<>home of WJC
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
I think we need a scorer to go along with all the playmakers.

-PrO-B1- is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 04:23 PM
  #12
Pulfy14
Registered User
 
Pulfy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-
I think we need a scorer to go along with all the playmakers.
we need wingers

Pulfy14 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 04:26 PM
  #13
-PrO-B1-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: >Canada<>home of WJC
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -PrO-B1-
No we don't! You can draft a center and put him on the wing.

-PrO-B1- is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 04:48 PM
  #14
Pulfy14
Registered User
 
Pulfy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-
No we don't! You can draft a center and put him on the wing.
Ya i know but im saying that because some of our wingers might be retiring

Pulfy14 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 05:30 PM
  #15
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
I dont know if we need wingers as Stajan can play wing (and probably should in my opinion) and Steen has Played wing most of the time in Sweden this year. But we do need shooters.

VanW27 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
  #16
goleafsgo
Registered User
 
goleafsgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In front of TV
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,012
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
I say go for the high scorers. In my opinion, I think we would need a few to win the cup, not that will need any help this year.

goleafsgo is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
  #17
Pulfy14
Registered User
 
Pulfy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
I dont know if we need wingers as Stajan can play wing (and probably should in my opinion) and Steen has Played wing most of the time in Sweden this year. But we do need shooters.
Forgot about that

Pulfy14 is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 02:34 AM
  #18
Homer J. Leafs
Registered User
 
Homer J. Leafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Justin&Mats was here
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
we need goal scorers

Homer J. Leafs is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 07:41 AM
  #19
HalifaxHit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Top Forward

HalifaxHit is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 05:10 PM
  #20
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,174
vCash: 500
The Leafs really need a good winger.

Epoch is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
  #21
emillie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Assuming the Leafs pick where they probably should, somewhere in the high teens or low twenties, I think Andrew Cogliano would be a great choice for the Leafs to make. Hes got the skill to be a top 10 or 15 pick but because hes playing in the OPJHL when he really should be in the NCAA league he is really being over looked (hes ranked 87th among NA skaters) and not playing to the full of his ability. Last year when I first heard about him, he was being mentioned in the same breath as Brule.

His skating is, in his draft class, seocnd only to Crosby. Hes got a good shot, both wrist and slap. He's not a physical player but as a long reach. That along with his skating lets him get by defenders. Hes not a play-maker or a pass first player, but he is a very good passer and has good offensive awearness. He is also a very hard worker and doesn't take shifts off. His defense is lacking but thats a common problem with younger players, hopefully some time in the NCAA will chance that. And the fact that is going into the NCAA has an added bonus. Hes already committed to playing for a school (sorry, do not know which one) which will mean the Leafs can rush him to Toronto.

emillie is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 06:23 PM
  #22
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
Assuming the Leafs pick where they probably should, somewhere in the high teens or low twenties, I think Andrew Cogliano would be a great choice for the Leafs to make. Hes got the skill to be a top 10 or 15 pick but because hes playing in the OPJHL when he really should be in the NCAA league he is really being over looked (hes ranked 87th among NA skaters) and not playing to the full of his ability. Last year when I first heard about him, he was being mentioned in the same breath as Brule.

His skating is, in his draft class, seocnd only to Crosby. Hes got a good shot, both wrist and slap. He's not a physical player but as a long reach. That along with his skating lets him get by defenders. Hes not a play-maker or a pass first player, but he is a very good passer and has good offensive awearness. He is also a very hard worker and doesn't take shifts off. His defense is lacking but thats a common problem with younger players, hopefully some time in the NCAA will chance that. And the fact that is going into the NCAA has an added bonus. Hes already committed to playing for a school (sorry, do not know which one) which will mean the Leafs can rush him to Toronto.
If Hes ranked 87th you could take him in the second or third round forget using a first round pick on him.

VanW27 is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
  #23
emillie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
vanwychen27: First, the Leafs don't have a 2nd round pick for this draft. Second, just because a player is ranked low doesn't mean they will go that low. Blake Wheeler wasn't ranked that highly but was the 5th overall pick. Cogliano still has that offensive upside that could easly lead to him being taken in the first round, he'd be a great pick up for the Leafs.

emillie is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
  #24
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
vanwychen27: First, the Leafs don't have a 2nd round pick for this draft. Second, just because a player is ranked low doesn't mean they will go that low. Blake Wheeler wasn't ranked that highly but was the 5th overall pick. Cogliano still has that offensive upside that could easly lead to him being taken in the first round, he'd be a great pick up for the Leafs.
Fergot about the no second rounder but if you take a player in the first round who is expected to go in the late second early third you'd better do your homework. That being said if the leafs like him than by all means go after him i just think there would be some better players around in the First round when the leafs pick

VanW27 is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
  #25
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
vanwychen27: First, the Leafs don't have a 2nd round pick for this draft. Second, just because a player is ranked low doesn't mean they will go that low. Blake Wheeler wasn't ranked that highly but was the 5th overall pick. Cogliano still has that offensive upside that could easly lead to him being taken in the first round, he'd be a great pick up for the Leafs.
I think it would quite a stretch IMO that he makes the 1st round ..

They are talking of lottery system which means the Leaf pick will not necessarily be at the end of the 1st round ..

Leafs need to make a very safe no risk high success pick, well at least as safe as possible anyway.

Mess is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.