HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Gm Jfj

View Poll Results: What should JFJ do during the draft?
Select Top Scoring Prospect 32 80.00%
Select Top Defense Prospect 4 10.00%
Select Top Goalie Prospect 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2005, 06:40 PM
  #26
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,738
vCash: 500
We need wingers...our system is flooded with centers and d-men...goaltenders are never sure fire prospects...

Christ is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 07:11 PM
  #27
emillie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
The Messenger: It wasn't long ago he considered a top 10 or 15 player in the draft. I don't think hes risky draft choice at all, at least no more then anyone else, hes just a good player in a bad situation. And if it is a weighted lottery, there is the chance the Leafs could get the #1 pick, but its not likely. If its weighted its likely they'd pick in the high teens to low twenties.

emillie is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 08:18 PM
  #28
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
The Messenger: It wasn't long ago he considered a top 10 or 15 player in the draft. I don't think hes risky draft choice at all, at least no more then anyone else, hes just a good player in a bad situation. And if it is a weighted lottery, there is the chance the Leafs could get the #1 pick, but its not likely. If its weighted its likely they'd pick in the high teens to low twenties.
Why the Facination with him ??

You seem to want to take him more in the 1st because the leafs do not have a 2nd rounder .. If that is the bases for your reasoning that is not very strong ..

I just checked Mckeen's and in their Feb rankings Cogliano is not even in the top 100 prospects .. You are suggesting he be taken in the teens to low 20's ..

There is nothing out their by any scouting service to support that ..

Leaf would be beter off to try and get a 2nd rounder some how .. I personally think he will still be there early 3rd.

Mess is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 08:48 PM
  #29
emillie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
The Messenger: McKeens has him ranked 22nd. Hes a guy with great skating ability and hands. His fall down centeral scouting ranks have to do with him playing a league he shouldn't be in, hes just out grown the league but because of his age he can't move up to NCAA next season. Some one will take this guy in the 1st round, early 2nd at the latest. He is the type of player the Leafs should be looking at, a highly skilled player whos fallen in the rankings because of his situation not his talent, its not like hes not scoring or something, hes leading the OPJHL with 102 points in 49 games. The scouts were, at the beginning of the season, pointing out that hes gone from working hard each and every shift to make some careless mistakes, but its because hes bored in the league he's in. However recently he's turn it'd it "back on" and is also #1 on McKeens under the radar list. When he goes to NCAA hockey next year we'll see how good a player he really is, and I'd rather see him as a Leaf prospect when that happens.


Last edited by emillie: 03-09-2005 at 09:10 PM.
emillie is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
  #30
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
The Messenger: McKeens has him ranked 22nd. Hes a guy with great skating ability and hands. His fall down centeral scouting ranks have to do with him playing a league he shouldn't be in, hes just out grown the league but because of his age he can't move up to NCAA next season. Some one will take this guy in the 1st round, early 2nd at the latest. He is the type of player the Leafs should be looking at, a highly skilled player whos fallen in the rankings because of his situation not his talent, its not like hes not scoring or something, hes leading the OPJHL with 102 points in 49 games. The scouts are pointing out that hes gone from working hard each and every shift to make some careless mistakes, but its because hes bored in the league he's in. When he goes to NCAA hockey next year we'll see how good a player he really is, and I'd rather see him as a Leaf prospect when that happens.
The Leafs made a very risky pick with John Doherty and that decision is still under review ..

Personally out west we have the BCJHL and the WHL Kelowna Rockets .. Having seen both the comparison of players in dramatic ... many are playing the BCJr beacuse they are not at the level of WHL .. Some of the Kelowna Rockets younger players are actually playing in the junior league ..

If its me picking I would rather they pick a safe North American player that could join St. Johns is a couple years rather then waiting till a kid is 23 and graduates US College .. Leafs do not have that kind of time to afford to wait so many years for results .. IMO ..

I personally would be disappointed if the Leafs took him ... I am hoping the Leafs get an early draft pick and take a Fav like Gilbert Brule or Benoit Pouliot or a big Dman Marc Staal really impressed me at the prospects game .. Speaking of which Andrew did not play in .. Another personal favourite is Marek Zagrapan, Chicoutimi Sagueneens for me ..

I think we need to know draft position before we can really focus in on any group of players though .. previous years we had an idea mid 20's .. Now who knows it could be 1 - 30 .. That will need to be negotiated in the CBA and I am sure that the NHLPA would prefer a unweighted equal chance lottery fair for all teams ..

Mess is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 09:40 PM
  #31
emillie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
The Messenger: As I'm sure you know just because a player is in the NCAA doesn't mean they will be there until they are 23, look at Zach Parise playing in the AHL right now. So what if he does stay till he's 23, the Leafs need to be completely overhauled starting from the ground up. What would be wrong with building for 2-3 years through the draft then having Cogliano ready to step onto the team after they've (if they did their jobs well) re-stocked the system with the top prospects they need. Bank him now and have him pay off later.

Cogliano differ's from Doherty in that Doherty was never a top ranked prospect he was always a project. Cogliano was a top prospect who suffered from circumstance, but all the talent and potential is still there. And hes not in the OHL not because hes not good enough, he just wanted to go to college so he didn't opt into the OHL draft. And of course if they get the 3rd or 5th or 10th overall pick there are better choices to be made, but with a later pick Cogliano has the talent to at least be a 2nd line foward along with a huge top line foward upside, excatly the type of player the Leafs need.

emillie is offline  
Old
03-09-2005, 09:58 PM
  #32
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
The Messenger: As I'm sure you know just because a player is in the NCAA doesn't mean they will be there until they are 23, look at Zach Parise playing in the AHL right now. So what if he does stay till he's 23, the Leafs need to be completely overhauled starting from the ground up. What would be wrong with building for 2-3 years through the draft then having Cogliano ready to step onto the team after they've (if they did their jobs well) re-stocked the system with the top prospects they need. Bank him now and have him pay off later.

Cogliano differ's from Doherty in that Doherty was never a top ranked prospect he was always a project. Cogliano was a top prospect who suffered from circumstance, but all the talent and potential is still there. And hes not in the OHL not because hes not good enough, he just wanted to go to college so he didn't opt into the OHL draft. And of course if they get the 3rd or 5th or 10th overall pick there are better choices to be made, but with a later pick Cogliano has the talent to at least be a 2nd line foward along with a huge top line foward upside, excatly the type of player the Leafs need.
My feeling is you have to have a deep system and not trade away your picks like the Leafs do .. These past two years combined with the trading of Boyes has made a huge whole in the prospect pool, that needs to be filled with short term draft picks to fill that void left, by GO FOR IT NOW strategy of the past few seasons.

Toronto is heavy into prospect development and a kid heading off to the NCAA is completely out of their control ... The Marlies of the AHL will be right in Toronto and it would be better for the structure to have a CHL top pick joining the AHL baby Leafs or the Maple Leafs.. If you take some of the current AHL team to Carlo, Stajan, Telly , maybe Wellwood and Williams in a year .Who is going to play for the Marlies .. Leafs only have Doherty(2nd) off to the NCAA and Martin Sagat and Justin Pogge as 3rd rounders .. and a late rounder in Johnny Mitchell .. Moving the AHL to Toronto show how serious the Leafs are about keeping and eye on the kids ..

NCAA players are no good to the Leafs system, they don't put fans in the seats nor do they generate any Fan base or Revenue for a Development AHL team that has spent lots of money adding consultants and scouts and trainers, stressing Development. You have to have some players for that to work .. and sadly for you if 2 players are equal in Leafs eyes and one is closer to the AHL/NHL then that is the route they will go based on that ..

Andrew has made very poor Hockey decisions and maybe great Career decisions based on education and future depending on what school he picks and how well he does .. and since a College career spans 4 to 5 years if education his the reason for going in the first place and they are not cheap.. Also the NCAA season is very short compared to the # of games in the CHL.. For Prospect Development that is bad..

So If he is heading to the NCAA and chose to play at a lower level this year to do it then, he must seriously want a top education and Zach Parise would not be a good example but exception to the rule IMO


Last edited by Mess: 03-10-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Mess is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 12:18 AM
  #33
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-
What should JFJ do if t here was to be a NHL Draft held this June or next Aug-Oct?
Select top scoring prospect........they can sign up a defenceman or a goalie the free agent route.

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:14 AM
  #34
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
The Messenger: As I'm sure you know just because a player is in the NCAA doesn't mean they will be there until they are 23, look at Zach Parise playing in the AHL right now. So what if he does stay till he's 23, the Leafs need to be completely overhauled starting from the ground up. What would be wrong with building for 2-3 years through the draft then having Cogliano ready to step onto the team after they've (if they did their jobs well) re-stocked the system with the top prospects they need. Bank him now and have him pay off later.

Cogliano differ's from Doherty in that Doherty was never a top ranked prospect he was always a project. Cogliano was a top prospect who suffered from circumstance, but all the talent and potential is still there. And hes not in the OHL not because hes not good enough, he just wanted to go to college so he didn't opt into the OHL draft. And of course if they get the 3rd or 5th or 10th overall pick there are better choices to be made, but with a later pick Cogliano has the talent to at least be a 2nd line foward along with a huge top line foward upside, excatly the type of player the Leafs need.
We can't afford to spend a 1st round pick on this type of player, especially when we've traded away our last 2. Perhaps later in the draft, but clearly not in the first round.

Volcanologist is online now  
Old
03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
  #35
emillie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
The Messenger: I guess I'm just more worried about the NHL team then the AHL team.

emillie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.