HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Whitney

Old
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
Ryan Whitney

Is it just me or have these first three games been the worst of Ryan Whitney that we have ever seen? I really hope it is him still brushing off the rust in his game but he looks extremely slow and lost in his own end when he does not have the puck...

If Whitney does not improve the Oilers should package him with some picks and prospects and get an improvement..

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Titsuple

vCash: 1000
He looked even worse on the power play, really struggling keeping the puck in the offensive zone. I see him being moved at the dead line.

Titsuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

vCash: 894
Still has the best first pass on the team.

I'm just so glad he can slot in as a #5, because if he was top 4, we'd be screwed.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10000
He looks terrible. I'd attribute the bad passing and poor decision making to being rusty. BUT, the skating is very troublesome, if he would have bursts of speed and then tire, fine, he's just out of shape but he's not, he's incredibly slow.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Still has the best first pass on the team.

I'm just so glad he can slot in as a #5, because if he was top 4, we'd be screwed.
I think J. Shultz is up there now in regards to the best first pass... and if you can not skate to put your self in positions to move the puck than passing means nothing...

Old
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
The only good thing is that Whitney is our #6 D meaning we have 5 solid Dmen on the roster.

The guy can still pass and can kill penalties.. overpaid but a good option as a #6 Dman..

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
OilCanada92

It's a shame, but yes he's on some kind of downfall.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
awesomo
HARD!

its sad when Corey Potter and Mark Fistric have to cover for him. He cant skate anymore.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
alphahelix

Funny, I thought that the second half of the L.A. game he was looking stronger and stronger... He was one of the few who were able to break through L.A.'s trap via passing (we carried the puck across the line most of the time when he wasn't on the ice).

Having said that, I thought he was really weak the first 2 games. His top end speed is alright but his acceleration/turning is shot, and it makes his effort level look crappy - which I don't think/ hope isn't the case.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Ser Woof

vCash: 50
People are blaming Hemsky on the 2nd PP unit whereas Whitney is the major problem thus far.

Horrible breakouts, can't pass the puck, can't receive the puck... would much rather see one of Petry or Smid in his place.

Ser Woof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Blacktape

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
its sad when Corey Potter and Mark Fistric have to cover for him. He cant skate anymore.
He never recovered, his passing game is still on though. Is Clark an option?

Blacktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
People are blaming Hemsky on the 2nd PP unit whereas Whitney is the major problem thus far.

Horrible breakouts, can't pass the puck, can't receive the puck... would much rather see one of Petry or Smid in his place.
We did have Petry on the 2nd unit later in the game.. Looks like Whitney might be losing his spot.. Im liking Kruger as a coach minus the scratching of Fistric ..

Old
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Pressure
Real Talk

Ryan Whitney has been terrible. He loses pretty much every single battle down low and he can't receive passes in traffic. Not only that but he's stationary on the Powerplay and doesn't seem like he wants to move at any quick pace to free pucks. He has holes all over his stick. The only redeeming thing he's done is make a good first pass over the neutral zone to our speedy wingers.

Worst of all he looks completely disinterested.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Titsuple

vCash: 1000
Quote:

agreed

Titsuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Ryan Whitney has been terrible. He loses pretty much every single battle down low and he can't receive passes in traffic. Not only that but he's stationary on the Powerplay and doesn't seem like he wants to move at any quick pace to free pucks. He has holes all over his stick. The only redeeming thing he's done is make a good first pass over the neutral zone to our speedy wingers.

I have noticed this as well... That Jason Gregor interview with him made it sound like his attitude has changed and he is coming around but it still seems like he is not happy about being that #5 guy and his play is reflecting it...

Like I said earlier, I really really hope this is rust and not a problem the Oilers need to deal with. Petry should be on the #2PP, he is young and improving every year.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I think J. Shultz is up there now in regards to the best first pass... and if you can not skate to put your self in positions to move the puck than passing means nothing...
I couldn't agree more fully. I see Klefbom coming in as a fast replacement for Whitney's soft and lazy habits. He seems like he's a step behind the play ooh all facets. His foot speed lacks extensively and to make matters worse for a player of his ilk he has to rely on strong positioning and smart decision making. Both of which I see him very inconsistent in for reasons I'm not sure of. He lacks a desire that I see the other defenseman playing with. Especially J. Schultz or someone like Petry who is involved physically with his body and always showing the initiative to control his end and not simply get by when the puck is placed on his blade.

Unfortunately for him it's a contract year and he's up for a decrease in salary and demotion in the lineup by his current standards.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Fishy McScales

Quote:

I think you're reading too much into this. I'm always impressed by all these psychologists who can tell what kind of mood a player is in by watching him on tv.

But he sure as hell is slow.

Fishy McScales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Calgary McOilers

vCash: 11282
He's a shell of his former self. It's sad to see but I think he can still be a good #5 dman in the league.

Calgary McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Pressure
Real Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
I think you're reading too much into this. I'm always impressed by all these psychologists who can tell what kind of mood a player is in by watching him on tv.

But he sure as hell is slow.
Well of course it's an opinion. But when you see a plyer not hustle towards loose pucks, open up passing lanes for Hemmer on the point and just glide at an extremely slow pace towards passes...that looks disinterested to me.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Jules Winnfield

Pens fan here. Sad to hear about Whitney since he got off to a good start in Edmonton and was showcasing his talent in the beginning.

Did Whitney have another procedure done on his foot? Usually his play really falters if he is recovering from a procedure or is having more problems with his foot. We were told his recovery time from one of his surgeries was 2 years because it's so complicated with the amount of bones there.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Pens fan here. Sad to hear about Whitney since he got off to a good start in Edmonton and was showcasing his talent in the beginning.

Did Whitney have another procedure done on his foot? Usually his play really falters if he is recovering from a procedure or is having more problems with his foot. We were told his recovery time from one of his surgeries was 2 years because it's so complicated with the amount of bones there.
Whitney actually got to train and work on his legs this offseason.. It looks like this is the best he is going to get..
Lucky that its the last year of his deal and EDM has Klefbom waiting in the wing.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Well of course it's an opinion. But when you see a plyer not hustle towards loose pucks, open up passing lanes for Hemmer on the point and just glide at an extremely slow pace towards passes...that looks disinterested to me.
Yes.. Like a gamer like Whitney would be disinterested while on ice..
Its a contract year and being ' disinterested' will cost him PP time which will lead to loss in points which will mean a lack of interest in him...

It is just lack of mobility ... hopefully some of it is rust otherwise he wont be getting another contract.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:
People are blaming Hemsky on the 2nd PP unit whereas Whitney is the major problem thus far. .
They're both garbage, plenty of blame to go around.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
pox

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to pox
id kinda like to see Potter play befor him..

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

IMO this is the last year for experiments, and I think Whitney and Potter are out the door after this season. I see Klefbom taking Potter's spot as #7 and slowly working his way up, and I don't see us having an issue finding a decent UFA d-man this summer to replace Whitney as long as the team continues to show that they are trending up.

Mcnotloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote