HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #5 - Canucks @ Sharks - Bay City Ransom - 5:00 SPAC

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
They haven't played significant minutes together since 08/09 and both are much better players now. That line would also be so good defensively they wouldn't have to score as much to contribute significantly. Like Bergeron/Marchand.
I get it, but I don't think you get 25g/60-65 point seasons out of them like Boston does out of those guys if they're playing together. I just haven't seen much when they're out there that tells me it's in any way more valuable than Burrow's Top 10 ES forward production when he's with the Sedins, nor do I think Kassian will provide that same value: Kassian won't be carrying the puck up ice opportunistically on odd-manned rushes like Burrows does, nor will he play the kind of defense Burrows does to help the Sedins out.

It's nice to see Kassian playing well there, but long term I still think Burrows is back on the top unit if they get back to form. Plus, as I said, I think Kassian's board play and vision on the ice makes him a great complement to Kesler. And Kassian's toughness could be very freeing for Kesler. It's a lot easier to be second toughest guy in the scrum...

Old
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Crows*

Any streams?

Old
01-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Any streams?
not any good ones...

Old
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Any streams?
This site has a couple of streams listed for today's game.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Saskatoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
exactly.. Volpatti/Weisse can fight the goons. Kassian should only be fighting when someone if messing with the Sedins or a message needs to be sent vs a tough star player. I would enjoy watching him drop Thornton.
Getting Thornton in the box for 5 would be good. But Thornton is no slouch when it comes to fighting.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
not any good ones...

That one looks awful....

Old
01-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Hahaha excellent GDT, keep up the good work.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'm gonna post this in the GDT so I don't need to post a new thread. I've been away in Mexico since the start of season and have yet to watch a game. I've read through some threads and I'm trying to get an accurate idea or update on how some guys have been playing. Can someone give me a brief summary on some question mark players?

- Is Malhotra done? I was hoping for a bounce back year.

- Any improvement from Ballard so far? Or about the same?

- Edler seems to be PPG and has taken a ton of shots. Has he shown any indication of taking a step?

-How has Schroeder looked so far?

- Has Garrison been as advertised? Has he been playing on Edler's right side?

- Outside of that first awful game, has Schneider looked ok?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'm gonna post this in the GDT so I don't need to post a new thread. I've been away in Mexico since the start of season and have yet to watch a game. I've read through some threads and I'm trying to get an accurate idea or update on how some guys have been playing. Can someone give me a brief summary on some question mark players?

Not showing signs of improvement.

The Tanev-Ballard pairing has looked great recently.

Edler has taken the right side.

- Edler seems to be PPG and has taken a ton of shots. Has he shown any indication of taking a step?
The Garrison-Edler pairing will need time to reach its potential as Edler adjusts to playing on the right side. PPG is promising though.

AV absolutely loves Schroeder and isn't giving him Hodgson-esque sheltered minutes, if Tiranis's analysis is any indication. He appears to bring out the best in Mason Raymond.

Yes! He was great last game vs. Anaheim.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

Eh...Probably, but not all hope is lost.

Quote:
He and Tanev have been our most reliable defensive pairing, but not much offensively, really.

Quote:
I've been really impressed with Edler. He's been dominant offensively, and while not great defensively, that's to be expected as he's playing his off-side.

Quote:
Good. Defensively responsible, fast, and generates chances. Would be nice to see him score a goal, though.

Quote:
He's been okay(leading the team in +/-), Edler's playing on his right, and his shot is hard as advertised, but Edler likes to take the shot himself most of the time, so he hasn't had much opportunity yet.

Quote:
Calgary: Good, but not fantastic.
Anaheim: Fantastic.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Schneider starts, according to Joey Kenward on the Game Day preview video on Canucks.com.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I get it, but I don't think you get 25g/60-65 point seasons out of them like Boston does out of those guys if they're playing together. I just haven't seen much when they're out there that tells me it's in any way more valuable than Burrow's Top 10 ES forward production when he's with the Sedins, nor do I think Kassian will provide that same value: Kassian won't be carrying the puck up ice opportunistically on odd-manned rushes like Burrows does, nor will he play the kind of defense Burrows does to help the Sedins out.

It's nice to see Kassian playing well there, but long term I still think Burrows is back on the top unit if they get back to form. Plus, as I said, I think Kassian's board play and vision on the ice makes him a great complement to Kesler. And Kassian's toughness could be very freeing for Kesler. It's a lot easier to be second toughest guy in the scrum...
If Burrows with the twins was a regular ES producer in the playoffs I might agree. Their inconsistency combined with the attractiveness of having Kassian out there to police the twins makes that an easy call for me. At least as long as Kassian is playing well.

Old
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341

Old
Zombotron
WD-57

Here's Schroeder's first point, Luck 6.

(Mason Raymond is a Duck killer, isn't he?)

Old
01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

- Malhotra hasn't looked like a liability like he sometimes did last season, but he hasn't had a bounceback year either. He's outplayed Ebbett, but Weise and everyone else worth noting has outplayed him. He's been a complete non-factor in every game.

- Ballard is the same guy but an improvement in that he looks more comfortable, especially with Tanev settling his game down. They've been our best pairing so far (although I think that has more to do with Tanev than Ballard). He was pretty damn good against LA last year, so I don't know if you could call this an improvement.

- Edler hasn't looked dominant,
but he looks like casually picking up points is easy for him. He's been pretty good. Better than Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa (but that might have more to do with them playing below average), and probably Ballard at this point. He's probably been our best overall defenseman so far, but only because Tanev's offensive game is non-existent (Tanev's been our best defensive defenseman by a longshot so far, IMO).

- Schroeder's only seen limited time, but he looks very promising smart, and safe. He looks like he's more than ready to be our 3rd line center, if not already then soon. He's had great chemistry with Raymond, hasn't been pushed around, has been great defensively, has great offensive instincts, and has been making the right plays all over the ice. He's handling the physicality very impressively, but I'm worried that he might get injured if he continues to try to match the physicality of other players. Very very promising regardless. He hasn't been dynamite or done anything spectacular yet, though.

- Schneider has looked excellent since that first game (but he was absolutely awful in it). He still has shakey miscues every once in a while when handling the puck, but for the most part, same old steady Schneider

- Garrison physically looks like the complete package, he's going to be a very solid defenseman for us, and he hasn't been particularly bad in any way, but he hasn't quite gelled with the team yet. Sometimes I can't tell if he's shaking off rust, not THAT smart of a player, or just has had bad luck so far. Probably the latter. We're still waiting for the great shot of his to make an impact.

Other notes, because I'm bored and have borderline OCD:

- Burrows has looked better since moving to center. He's still alot slower and is nowhere near the player he was last year yet, but he's shaken off the mental rust and has played a very smart game.
- Raymond has looked like the 20 goal, 55 point version of Raymond so far, and with a better shot. Don't know how long that will last.
- Kassian has been awesome.
- Volpatti has been very strong in a limited role
- Ebbett looks alot worse than he did last year-- worst player on the team by a wide margin.
- Higgins is the only guy who still seems to be struggling to shake off the rust as much as he did in the first game. I'm not really worried about a guy like him though.
- Lapierre hasn't been up to speed, but is very very slowly improving.
- Bieksa has looked like the bad version of Bieksa so far
- Hamhuis has really struggled for some reason, with flashes of great plays once in a while.
- Hansen has been on-and-off, but the hustle makes you not care. Sometimes he looks slower and less effective on the forecheck than usual, but then out of nowhere he shows an amazing burst of speed and creates something out of nothing. I think his offensive instincts are improving steadily, but his body hasn't caught up to game shape yet.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
- Garrison physically looks like the complete package, he's going to be a very solid defenseman for us, and he hasn't been particularly bad in any way, but he hasn't quite gelled with the team yet. Sometimes I can't tell if he's shaking off rust, not THAT smart of a player, or just has had bad luck so far. Probably the latter. We're still waiting for the great shot of his to make an impact.
The Canucks may be the most difficult team to play defence for in the NHL. They're expected to pinch a lot so they're constantly having to make the right read there. They're expected to stay up in the play and support the rush. They're asked to make plays with the puck and play a possession game rather than throwing it off the boards all the time. Our defence tends to take a lot of heat around here despite how good it is, that's why imo. No surprise to me that it's going to take Garrison some time to adjust.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Bleach Clean

What's the story on this Irwin kid? Making Murray obsolete?

Would like for the Canucks to try and sign Murray in the offseason, should he get there.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
The Canucks may be the most difficult team to play defence for in the NHL. They're expected to pinch a lot so they're constantly having to make the right read there. They're expected to stay up in the play and support the rush. They're asked to make plays with the puck and play a possession game rather than throwing it off the boards all the time. Our defence tends to take a lot of heat around here despite how good it is, that's why imo. No surprise to me that it's going to take Garrison some time to adjust.
Definitely. I will say though that I've been very surprised and impressed at how he's been able to jump up into the play seemingly as much as he wants and it hasn't even remotely come close to potentially burning us.

The actual plays he's made with his toolbox has been very underwhelming so far, though, which is completely understandable.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I appreciate the updates everyone. And the video Zombotron, damn that was a sick pass and a sick shot.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
If Burrows with the twins was a regular ES producer in the playoffs I might agree. Their inconsistency combined with the attractiveness of having Kassian out there to police the twins makes that an easy call for me. At least as long as Kassian is playing well.
Agreed. I'd at least like to see Kassian play about half this season with the twins, as long as it is working marginally well. If he can develop some chemistry up there that could work wonders in the playoffs. Besides, Burrows and Kesler seem to have excellent style & chemistry in the post season.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What's the story on this Irwin kid? Making Murray obsolete?

Would like for the Canucks to try and sign Murray in the offseason, should he get there.
He will be overpaid, and hopefully not by us.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Awesome Job Zombotron!!!!!

Schroeder with his first tonight, cause if I say it every game, it will eventually be true. Subscribing to the Eklund style of predicting.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Yikes, just realized that our PK is 2nd worst in the league at 64.3%.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
ducks went 100% in our first game I'm pretty sure. Will take a little while to get our numbers to a respectable level after that

Old
01-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He will be overpaid, and hopefully not by us.

Most likely true. His lack of foot speed might not make him the best fit here either. Just musing. He probably doesn't even make it to FA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

And that's the cap number for next year too. Nowhere to go but up (well actually they can fall one more place, but odds and everything you know...)

On Schroeder:

The good: Very smart hockey player, plays the lanes and uses his stick to win battles. Full effort, even with hitting people on occasion. Seemingly strong on face-offs to boot. And judging from his passing, a pretty good playmaker. Good balance too.

The not-so-good: He stops moving his feet more than you would like. Coasts to the bench. Doesn't try to take on defenders one on one, which he should be doing more of to create opportunities. Get's overpowered when not thinking quickly enough.

On the whole, pretty good debut. I'm interested to see what he does against someone like Gomez. Or how they compare. Both are shorter players that rely on their speed and playmaking abilities. Gomez is bigger and taller, but as we know, he's been having a lot of trouble lately. I want to see if they compare at all. Should be a good test.

Closed Thread