Notices

Realignment

Old
01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
smithformeragent

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Realignment

Has anyone heard anything new with regards to realignment? I thought for sure that this one of the first shoes to drop once the CBA was agreed on, but I have not heard a thing. Last I heard, the NHLPA refused to ratify the proposal that the league had agreed on which called for four conferences, two of which would have seven teams and two of which would have eight teams. The top four teams in each conference would make the playoffs. Teams 1-4 and teams 2-3 would meet in the first round, and the winners would play to determine the conference champion. Then, the final four teams would be re-seeded.

Obviously, a team like Winnipeg would want this resolved for next season given their brutal travel schedule.

01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Has anyone heard anything new with regards to realignment? I thought for sure that this one of the first shoes to drop once the CBA was agreed on, but I have not heard a thing. Last I heard, the NHLPA refused to ratify the proposal that the league had agreed on which called for four conferences, two of which would have seven teams and two of which would have eight teams. The top four teams in each conference would make the playoffs. Teams 1-4 and teams 2-3 would meet in the first round, and the winners would play to determine the conference champion. Then, the final four teams would be re-seeded.

Obviously, a team like Winnipeg would want this resolved for next season given their brutal travel schedule.

Isn't Winnipeg going to have a brutal travel schedule no matter what conference or division they play in?

Even if you put them in a divison with the 4 closest cities to them

I guess you would be looking at Minnesotta at 380 miles, Chicago 720 miles, Then Saint Louis Edmonton and Calgary 750 are all around 750 miles away. There are 13 teams closer to Boston than the second closest team is to Winnipeg

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:52 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

I really hope the plan they tanked last year doesn't come back. The Florida teams in the NE was so stupid.

Here was my proposal:

My vision:

PRINCE OF WALES CONFERENCE (Eastern)

ADAMS DIVISION (Northeast)

Boston Bruins
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils

PATRICK DIVISION (Atlantic)

Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Carolina Hurricanes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers

CLARENCE CAMPBELL CONFERENCE (Western)

NORRIS DIVISION (Central)

Winnipeg Jets
Minnesota Wild
Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis Blues
Nashville Predators
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche

SMYTHE DIVISION (West)

Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Vancouver Canucks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Anaheim Ducks
Phoenix Coyotes

There's bound to be some unhappiness here, especially by splitting the Rangers/Devils away from the Flyers/Penguins. Unfortunately, there's no real way around it. It's mitigated somewhat by putting Detroit into the Patrick Division, along with Washington.

***Alternatively, you could keep the NYR/NYI/NJD in the Patrick, and put DET/CBJ/WAS ino the Adams.

Same frustrations in pulling Detroit out of the current Central. You lose that rivalry with the Blackhawks. But it gets all Eastern Time Zone teams to the Eastern Conference, and the Blackhawks should gain some good games with the Wild/Avalanche/Jets. Over time these will work out nicely.

------------------------------------------------------

The schedule will work as follows...

Each Wales Conference Team plays their own division opponents 4 times, two home, and two away.

7 X 4 = 28 Games

Each Wales Conference Team plays their other Conference division opponents 3 times, alternating home ice each year.

8 x 3 = 24 Games

Each Wales Conference Team plays each Campbell Conference team twice, one home, one away.

14 x 2 = 28 Games

This is an 80 game schedule.

Each Campbell Conference Team plays their own division opponents 4 times, two home, and two away.

6 X 4 = 24 Games

Each Campbell Conference Team plays their other Conference division opponents 3 times alternating home ice each year.

7 x 3 = 21 Games

Each Campbell Conference Team plays each Wales Conference Team twice, one home, one away.

16 x 2 = 32 Games

This is a 77 game schedule.

You'll notice the Western teams only have a 77 game schedule. This is tough. The easiest way I've found to make it work is those last 3 games are played within the division, with a 4 year rotation. For example,

In Year 1, VAN plays an extra divisional game against SJ, @LA, and @ANA.
In Year 2, VAN plays an extra divisional game against EDM, CGY, and @PHX.
In Year 3, VAN plays an extra divisional game against @SJ, LA, and ANA.
In Year 4, VAN plays an extra divisional game against @EDM, @CGY, and PHX.

This way, every 4 years, you get an extra two games against each division opponent, one home, one away.

------------------------------------------------------

Playoff seeding works thusly:

16 team playoff, same as now. 8 teams from each Conference. Top 2 teams in each Division get guaranteed Playoff Berths. The remaining 4 spots in each Conference are the teams with the highest points.

Yes, this means, in theory, the Western teams have a slightly better chance to get into the playoffs, as the last 4 playoff spots are pulled from 10 teams instead of 12. While East Coast teams may view this as unfair, there is a reasoning behind it. Western teams each have to play 3 extra divisional games, and Western teams also have to travel more. These are slight disadvantages, which, in my opinion, equal out the slight advantage in regards to Playoff Berths.

Seeding, and home ice is based on points, nothing else. If the Bruins are 2nd in the Adams Division with 91 points, they are guaranteed a spot. But if they're 5th in points behind Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, and Detroit, tough luck. They're a 5 seed, and don't have home ice advantage.

As the NHL does now, teams are reseeded after each round.

To determine Home Ice for the Stanley Cup Final, we look at which team has a better winning percentage against the other conference.

Thoughts? Opinions? I haven't exactly gone in and worked out a specific schedule. I would imagine it could get a little complicated, especially out West, making sure teams get 40 home and 40 road games a year. But still, I think it's pretty good.

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:00 AM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Honestly, I would have to believe that some of the organizations with ownership or revenue problems is holding the whole process up.

If the NHL were to relocate to Quebec City and Seattle within the next few years, you would have to think that the whole process would need to be re-booted once again.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I hate the format they made. Annoyed the hell out of me. I prefer 6 divisions.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:19 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

I think the simple solution is just to switch Winnipeg into the western conference and Nashville or Detroit into the East. I honestly wouldnt want to see Detroit in the East though because playing them every year would scare the hell out of me.

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:41 AM
SpokedLightning
Tampa Bound

vCash: 167
The Habs logo is to far over to the right on your map MSPGabe. If they were that close to me I would smell them.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:26 AM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I hate the format they made. Annoyed the hell out of me. I prefer 6 divisions.
There's something to be said from a fan perspective of the 4 division format. What's the best way to develop rivalry/hatred between teams? See them in the playoffs year after year....familiarity breeds contempt.

I loved in the old days knowing that you got your division rivals early on in the playoffs. The more you see them, the more you dislike them, the more you want to step on them to get to your ultimate goal.

I liked the old format better than the odd number of divisions and wild card format.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:41 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
If the NHL were to expand to Quebec City and Seattle within the next few years...
Fixed it for you.

Just kidding, of course. However, I think expansion over relocation is the most likely thing to happen, outside of perhaps moving Phoenix. The league is going to go to 32 teams eventually (as opposed to 28 or fewer) to balance out the conferences. Bank it.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
If they do it with 30 teams, it will only be unbalanced for a short while as it makes perfect sense with 32 teams.

Play the division 6 times = 42

Play the other division 4 times = 32

Cycle through the other coferences divisions over 4 years. = 8 games.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I love the 4 division set up and the concept of playing out of your division in the playoffs. I also love the idea of bringing back the original division and conference names, as opposed to the generic "eastern conference" "central division". So lame and boring.

I love rocking my Adams Division tee shirt because I associate that format with my childhood. Maybe I'm just over nostalgic.

MSPG, your map reminds me of a project I did freshman year if college. We had to use a series of maps to show historical change over time and I chose NHL expansion

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
BB624

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I love the 4 division set up and the concept of playing out of your division in the playoffs. I also love the idea of bringing back the original division and conference names, as opposed to the generic "eastern conference" "central division". So lame and boring.

I love rocking my Adams Division tee shirt because I associate that format with my childhood. Maybe I'm just over nostalgic.

MSPG, your map reminds me of a project I did freshman year if college. We had to use a series of maps to show historical change over time and I chose NHL expansion
I am a fan of the Adams,Patrick,Norris and Smythe names. But have to keep in mind the East and West Conferences have been in use for 26 seasons.

The Wales and Campbell were in use for 20 years.
This is the 19th straight played season using East and West Conferences. With Atlantic,Northeast,Central and Pacific being used those 19 years too.

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote