HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #6 - Canucks @ Kings - 7:30PM PST - TSN - Randy Newman's L.A Meltdown

View Poll Results: Does this shop stock shot silk shorts?
If she stops at the shop where I stop 12 25.53%
And if she shops at the shop where I shop 15 31.91%
Then I shan't stop to shop at the shop 28 59.57%
Where she stops to shop 16 34.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Nuck Bonino

vCash: 50
funny part ith I had no idea Brown had a lithp. Retht athured I will remember that for future ribbingth

Old
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Let's take the high road here please everyone.
Since apparently it was ignored the first time. Discuss the game, not the opposing team's GDT.

Old
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Isn't it a little early to start hating on Garrison? Sure he hasn't played great yet but you have to figure it will take a little time to get used to our players and system. Clearly he has the tools.
I'm not thinking it's early.

I may be basing this on 5 games, but I'm not going to be delusional. Looking at Garrison play is just painful. I would feel better if he showed at least in a game that he is capable of taking that #1 role, but nope. He can barely move the puck and his defensive game is just horrendous.

I'm not impressed, and I personally feel that he was just a 1 hit wonder.

This is similar to Ballard, a defensemen who looked great in a terrible team.

If we wanted to lay out big money on defensemen we needed PROVEN players.

Ie. Erhoff- Was successful in a Sharks team (Sharks team who was near top of Western Conference most of the time)

Ie. Hamhuis- Was a rock in Nashville (Who again made the playoffs and was proven).

We essentially took the same gamble with Garrison albeit ALOT worst considering he has had only 1 great season.

I'm not sold. He looks slow, clueless and can't hit the net. For all the raving of his "hard shot", he can barely hit the net and I can assure you that Salo's bombs were a lot harder then this guy.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Our defense needs to be a lot better.

Imagine instead of having Garrison and Ballard we would have resigned our better defenders.

Edler-Erhoff
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Mitchell-Salo

We could have had this folks, and it would have fit into our cap, maybe minus Salo (due to cap reasons) but our defense would have been miles better then now.

After watching Garrison for a few games now, he has shown NOTHING at all that he is a top pairing defensemen.
Considering we play a completely different system, that we had no training camp and the team hasn't played well generally, I do not get your point.

I love Salo, but not for 2 years. I do not care one bit about how guy are playing in week 2. Neither should you.

But just imagine folks if our time machines were working and we were on the cusp on winning the Stanley Cup in January. So exciting. (btw, it's been over 100 years since ANYONE won the Cup in January.)

Old
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
funny part ith I had no idea Brown had a lithp. Retht athured I will remember that for future ribbingth
Thame here. I thought we were jutht going for the funny.

Old
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I geuth I'll be joining in on thith too.
that ith tho kind of you

Old
01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
that ith tho kind of you
I have now been convinthed to live-tweet about the game like thith too.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

This game can't come soon enough, haha. After the King's classless tweets during last playoffs and the draft, I hope we can bring them down to earth. If the Oil can do it, we can do it too.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I have now been convinthed to live-tweet about the game like thith too.
Make sure you hashtag the TSN on there

Old
01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Considering we play a completely different system, that we had no training camp and the team hasn't played well generally, I do not get your point.

I love Salo, but not for 2 years. I do not care one bit about how guy are playing in week 2. Neither should you.

But just imagine folks if our time machines were working and we were on the cusp on winning the Stanley Cup in January. So exciting. (btw, it's been over 100 years since ANYONE won the Cup in January.)
It's never to early.

Remember the team's insistence that they were saving it from the playoffs last year? That their terrible play will all get fixed once the playoff started? That their horrendous 5 on 5 play would improve in the playoffs?

Nope it did not. We were eliminated in the first round.

It's just my opinion, I know it's a new system but there's just nothing there for me on Garrison to tell myself "this guy will be great with Edler". He looked slow and his defensive play was terrible. We need a mobile player beside Edler in the powerplay, Erhoff gave us this, and our #1 PP has not been the same since he left.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:08 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Throeder ith tho cloth to getting hith firtht NHL goal.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Linden*

Quote:

Imagine instead of having Garrison and Ballard we would have resigned our better defenders.

Edler-Erhoff
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Mitchell-Salo

We could have had this folks, and it would have fit into our cap, maybe minus Salo (due to cap reasons) but our defense would have been miles better then now.

After watching Garrison for a few games now, he has shown NOTHING at all that he is a top pairing defensemen.
that ith a bit of revithionitht hithtory though, Error-Hof and Thami Thalo would be not much of an improvement over what we have now. Letting Mitchell go wath a mithtake but the uncertainty thurrounding his concuthion forced our hand. Ballard and Tanev have played great for uth and the pairing of Biektha and Hamhuith will regain their form. Edler and Garrithon need time to develop chemithtry cauthe it ithn't thomthing that happenth overnight. Give our defenthe thome time and if you alwayth go back to thee "what could of been" then you will never be thatithified with our team.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Why ith everyone being tho rathitht round these partth?

Old
01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
that ith a bit of revithionitht hithtory though, Error-Hof and Thami Thalo would be not much of an improvement over what we have now. Letting Mitchell go wath a mithtake but the uncertainty thurrounding his concuthion forced our hand. Ballard and Tanev have played great for uth and the pairing of Biektha and Hamhuith will regain their form. Edler and Garrithon need time to develop chemithtry cauthe it ithn't thomthing that happenth overnight. Give our defenthe thome time and if you alwayth go back to thee "what could of been" then you will never be thatithified with our team.
Erhoff not an improvement? Tell that to our #1 PP that has vanished. Tell that to our game 7 Stanley cup finals game. Salo, would have been cheaper and serviceble.

As Mitchell? Tell that to his cup.

In my opinion Mike Gillis' greatest mistake was letting Erhoff go. Our offense is just not as dynamic as it once was. Also the fact that these players would have cost the same as Garrison and Ballard if not more cheaper (Mitchell 3 Million), just bothers me.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:

Edler-Erhoff
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Mitchell-Salo

It's the kind of D that looks fine and dandy until you're a couple of weeks in and you have to play Connauton in your Top 4.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Nuck Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Why ith everyone being tho rathitht round these partth?
Itth becauth we are all canuckth

Old
01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Itth becauth we are all canuckth
Good one Kethler.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
ferroid

Had anyone ever explained to Grub the concept of sample sizes, or of regression to the mean?

Or of covariance not necessarily implying causality, for that matter?

Old
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post
Had anyone ever explained to Grub the concept of sample sizes, or of regression to the mean?
he knows literally nothing of either, trust me.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Yeah, with a name like Grub you'd think the bigger the sample size the better..... like buffet size.

(I'm permanently infected... when I'm typing "sample size" I'm hearing "thample thize" in my head.)

Old
01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:

Or of covariance not necessarily implying causality, for that matter?
Oh I understand simple statistics, not sure if you're trying to be funny, or look smart... but it's highly doubful that focusing on the mean and covariance helps this team.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Linden*

Quote:
Erhoff not an improvement? Tell that to our #1 PP that has vanished. Tell that to our game 7 Stanley cup finals game. Salo, would have been cheaper and serviceble.

As Mitchell? Tell that to his cup.
Ehrhoff had good chemithtry with the Thedins and Edler yeth, but if I remember correctly we had to choothe between him and Biektha. You theem to only remember the good timeth with Ehrhoff, yet he hath hith fair amount of mithtaketh ath well. A thlow thtart doethen't necetharily mean that our defenthe is garbage, we need to give them time to regain their legth and to expect Garrithon to achieve inthtant Ehrhoff-like chemithtry with the Thedins and Edler is expecting too much. He needs time to adjust to the new thythtem and playths ath well ath get uthed to the pretty unorthodox way the Thedins play.

edit- goodneth, what have I gotten mythself into?

Old
01-28-2013, 04:22 PM
David71

any lineup changes regarding the defense?

Old
01-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Linden*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
any lineup changes regarding the defense?
none that I know of

Old
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
ferroid

Quote:
Oh I understand simple statistics, not sure if you're trying to be funny, or look smart... but it's highly doubful that focusing on the mean and covariance helps this team.
You miss my point.

The fact that you are able to make a firm judgement on a player like Garrison after only 5 games implies a lack of knowledge regarding sample size, irrelevant of any other factors that could be attributed to Garrison's "slow" start.

Closed Thread