HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Orr and Brown

Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Hockeylaw

vCash: 500
If you want to run an opposing team's stars and put pests in their place, you need a fast, reckless player capable of taking heads off with borderline (or just outright) illegal hits. Someone in the vein of Darcy Tucker or Tie Domi. Someone who has a reputation of being crazy enough to do just about anything on the ice.

The problem with players of that sort is that they will inevitably take a lot of penalties, so you need to be sound enough defensively to make up for the punishment and intimidation they provide.

Orr is still not fast enough to be that sort of player. Brown is, but he's not nearly mean enough.

That said, I still like both of them on the fourth line, and the improvements Orr has made in the off-season are inspiring.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
4evaBlue

Since it's somewhat relevant to the points I've been trying to make in this thread, here's a bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
Why didn't anyone engage Erskine after he flattened Kessel? Okay I know Ersk is a beast, and no one on the ice at the time probably wanted any part of him, but Orr could have obliged sometime later in the game.

I hear he has the flu, but we needed someone to step up - they just can't take runs at our elite players.

Yeah, we won, but it would have been nice to see someone answer the bell even if they got creamed.
Orr went after him multiple times, and especially his first shift on, but Erksine wouldn't go him.

Specifically, on his first shift, the puck deflected into the screen and Orr had a nice hold on Erksines jersey trying to get him to answer, but Erskine wouldn't do it.
The sheriff's hands are tied.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Can't wait for Mclaren to be on our 4th line...he can skate and is a bruiser and will be the biggest leaf

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
mcleex

Never seen him play what does he do other than fight

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Brown and Orr are different players for many reasons, so I think the initial question of whether having both is 'redundant' is not quite accurate.

First off, Brown is probably underrated most for his speed on this team. He is a quick hockey player.
Orr, is much slower, but has that element of 'ultimate bada**' to him.
Their height differences are quite noticeable.
But both are battlers, and great for the teams morale and protection.
Simply put, 'fighter' isn't an umbrella term.

Need them both imo.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
Brown and Orr are different players for many reasons, so I think the initial question of whether having both is 'redundant' is not quite accurate.

First off, Brown is probably underrated most for his speed on this team. He is a quick hockey player.
Orr, is much slower, but has that element of 'ultimate bada**' to him.
Their height differences are quite noticeable.
But both are battlers, and great for the teams morale and protection.
Simply put, 'fighter' isn't an umbrella term.

Need them both imo.
Yes, we've seen the "protection" Orr can provide, all while his line gets hemmed in our zone time and time again. Just ask Kessel how glad he was that Orr was in the lineup for the Caps game.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Ricky Bobby

Orr did have a chat with Erskine after that hit. Just cause he didn't fight doesn't mean he didn't do his job. Just having the threat of having to pay the piper is sometimes enough.

The Leafs really do need a player that can play 2nd or 3rd line minutes that is a chippy nasty SOB. Like we once had with Tucker. In our divison guys like Ott, Neil or Marchand because they can all take a regular shift and play right on the edge.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Orr did have a chat with Erskine after that hit. Just cause he didn't fight doesn't mean he didn't do his job. Just having the threat of having to pay the piper is sometimes enough.

The Leafs really do need a player that can play 2nd or 3rd line minutes that is a chippy nasty SOB. Like we once had with Tucker. In our divison guys like Ott, Neil or Marchand because they can all take a regular shift and play right on the edge.
Komarov is no slouch, and while he hasn't shown it yet. He is known to be a super pest with some offensive upside. I could see him showing his true a*@hole colours tonight against the Bs

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
black charger

Quote:
Komarov is no slouch, and while he hasn't shown it yet. He is known to be a super pest with some offensive upside. I could see him showing his true a*@hole colours tonight against the Bs
Kadri seems to be pretty irritating too.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
I hope he works out and the team is headed in the right direction as far as having player who play on that edge that can take a regular shift.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:28 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Kadri seems to be pretty irritating too.
Yes he is.....he will be in top form tonight.....

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Orr: "I'll let you off with a warning this time, but the next time you touch one of our stars, I'll beat your head in. Assuming you accept the challenge, that is."

Erskine: "Yeah, whatever."

Oh, what it would be like to be afforded such protection.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Orr: "I'll let you off with a warning this time, but the next time you touch one of our stars, I'll beat your head in. Assuming you accept the challenge, that is."

Erskine: "Yeah, whatever."

Oh, what it would be like to be afforded such protection.
Orr: "Did you see how happy I was to beat up better fighters in Scott with that body shot or Engelland face?

Erskine: "Yeah"

Orr: "Unless you want your skull beat in which I'd love to do but coach doesn't want me to take a penalty right now, then knock it off"

Erskine: "Yeah, whatever" but really thinking that is one hombre to not mess with.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:53 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Orr: "Did you see how happy I was to beat up better fighters in Scott with that body shot or Engelland face?

Erskine: "Yeah"

Orr: "Unless you want your skull beat in which I'd love to do but coach doesn't want me to take a penalty right now, then knock it off"

Erskine: "Yeah, whatever" but really thinking that is one hombre to not mess with.
One slight correction:

but really thinking that is one hombre he doesn't have to deal with.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
One slight correction:

but really thinking that is one hombre he doesn't have to deal with.
Did you see Erskine do anything else that game?

The other option was Orr takes penalty and potentially costs us the game. the hit wasn't that bad but if it was Orr would be there to keep things in check.

Orr serves a role. Look at how Buffalo feel apart last year after Miller got run over in a blatantly dirty hit by Lucic. Buffalo has stocked up on toughness as result to make sure there team feels safe.

Orr is that safety net for the Leafs.