HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch Writes that Avs are Quietly Shopping O'Reilly

Old
01-28-2013, 04:32 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Iunno, man. I'm not saying he doesn't want to play for the Avalanche, but 5 million for one 55 point season is ridiculous. Look at the contracts two-way 50 point forwards around the league have, and then look at the forwards who make 5 million a year.

There is no way he deserves more per year than Weiss, Backes, Jordan Staal, Pavelski, and Couture and as much as Bergeron, Ryan, Hossa, Perry, Plekanec, etc.

Only elite players avoid prove-it contracts. And O'Reilly and his agent know that. So he's either getting bad advice from his agent about having the Avalanche over a barrel, or something else is going on. Because if you compare the list of significant holdouts that have rejoined their teams and all was fine vs. the list that have gotten traded (eventually), things don't look good for his future with the team. And, again, he and his agent have to know that.
Kind of the point I was trying to make out above.

He and his agent feel he can put up more points if he played for a team where he would be the #1 center, something he will not be for the Avs. So they probably see it as he can stay with the Avs for the right sum but if not then he wants a shot at another place where he can prove him self in a more offensive role.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:32 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Iunno, man. I'm not saying he doesn't want to play for the Avalanche, but 5 million for one 55 point season is ridiculous. Look at the contracts two-way 50 point forwards around the league have, and then look at the forwards who make 5 million a year.

There is no way he deserves more per year than Weiss, Backes, Jordan Staal, Pavelski, and Couture and as much as Bergeron, Ryan, Hossa, Perry, Plekanec, etc.

Only elite players avoid prove-it contracts. And O'Reilly and his agent know that. So he's either getting bad advice from his agent about having the Avalanche over a barrel, or something else is going on. Because if you compare the list of significant holdouts that have rejoined their teams and all was fine vs. the list that have gotten traded (eventually), things don't look good for his future with the team. And, again, he and his agent have to know that.
I suspect the problem would be the other two centers more than being unhappy with the team, something akin to what went down with Jordan Staal. Maybe he wants extra money to commit to a team with fewer opportunities for advancement.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:36 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I suspect the problem would be the other two centers more than being unhappy with the team, something akin to what went down with Jordan Staal. Maybe he wants extra money to commit to a team with fewer opportunities for advancement.
Right, I wouldn't speculate that he has a grudge or doesn't like his teammates or anything like that, but if he wants out, he wants out. And if the reasoning were that he wants more opportunities, I think he would be foolish not to reduce his demands from a team that would provide those. Yet another IF - if that's the case, then he could be considerably easier to trade than those demands might otherwise indicate.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:55 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:

Preaching to the choir here, dude I've maintained all along that he isn't worth 5m per, not right now. He may be one day but at the moment, his body of work does not merit that kind of outlay. If he had had 3 seasons like the last one, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but he didn't. I love O'Reilly and I hope this gets resolved but no one player is bigger than the team and giving into O'Reilly's demands for a long term, high paid contract is not only dangerous for the Avs' future salary negotiations but the league. This is not a precedent that the Avs' front office want to set.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Right, I wouldn't speculate that he has a grudge or doesn't like his teammates or anything like that, but if he wants out, he wants out. And if the reasoning were that he wants more opportunities, I think he would be foolish not to reduce his demands from a team that would provide those. Yet another IF - if that's the case, then he could be considerably easier to trade than those demands might otherwise indicate.
I agree.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:21 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Where does this rumor of O'Reilly asking for $5m/season come from? I can't imagine he's looking for anything near that.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
What's a lot?

He is a great young player. But I've seen Datsyuks name tossed around in this thread which I personally find quite ridiculous.
I tossed his name around, because O'Reilly plays up to Datsyuk's level defensively and even outplayed him during the games he matched up with Datsyuk last season.

No one mentioned offensively, which you insinuated from the context. I also said in another post O'Reilly looks to have a Bergeron-like career ahead, 65-70 point potential, Selke defense. He is also such a clean player that he rarely takes poor penalties and I could see in a career year him in the race for a Lady Byng.

Someone mentioned that Avs fans should have a good eye for centers because of Sakic/Foppa, well we do have one. O'Reilly isn't going to be one of those HOF locks, but he's got 1b center potential, the type of guy you can win with in your #1 spot and you win championships with in your #2 slot.

Any team that acquires him will probably win in the long run, why do you think Avs fans want the sun and the moon for him?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:12 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Where does this rumor of O'Reilly asking for $5m/season come from? I can't imagine he's looking for anything near that.
From what Dater is reporting, it sounds like the Avs have offered a 2 yr/$7m deal,while ROR's rep is saying $4m per on a short term deal or $5m per on a deal, that goes into ROR's ufa yrs.

I'd think if a team is giving up some significant for ROR,they'll want a 4-6 yr deal.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Wouldn't mind seeing Bergevin going after him especially with Patches out for a few weeks

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:16 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
From what Dater is reporting, it sounds like the Avs have offered a 2 yr/$7m deal,while ROR's rep is saying $4m per on a short term deal or $5m per on a deal, that goes into ROR's ufa yrs.

I'd think if a team is giving up some significant for ROR,they'll want a 4-6 yr deal.
5 million per for a player that shows promise but isn't overly physical, not the greatest skater and scored 18 goals last year is going to lower his value. Not that he isn't a terrific player but he projects to be a great 2nd/3rd line center with strong defensive skills and an upside of 65 points. Mike Richards comes to mind but as a more physical player and someone that has produced more. I'd say 4 million per for him is more than fair and would keep his value very high. 5 million per limits his value.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:20 AM
TheMobGoesWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

If I remember correctly, Avs also offered 5 years and 17 or 18 million which was turned down too.

TheMobGoesWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:31 AM
waitin425

Total stab at this one as I don't follow either team.

Orielly to Carolina for Ryan Murphy

Does anyone need to add or subtract?

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post

I would think CAR needs to add.

EDIT: Although if the rumors of not liking the center depth of the Avs is true, he would be stuck behind the Staal bros in CAR, so that would be the same.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

Quote:

His agents did supposedly try to make a stastical case that Radar's one of most best defensive forwards of the past 25 years...so I wouldn't be shocked if he was getting bad advice.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

if only Nonis could do something here
pipedream

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Well that eliminates the Caps if he is unhappy about the center depth.

We've already got a legit number two.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:40 AM
LEAFMAN99

leafs NEED to get in on this if its true.

LEAFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

The most hilarious thing about this is the "...and a 2nd round pick".

Even if Garrioch DID have this kind of insider info (which he CLEARLY DOES NOT) how in the world would the Avs be in any position to tell him "yeah, we definitely don't want a 1st round pick back but we prefer a 2nd"?? LOL

Wouldn't it completely depend on WHO the alleged 'forward' is coming back?

Garrioch is making stuff up...it's ok though, that's his job.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Let's not forget you're only trading for the RIGHTS to ROR

still gotta get him signed to the big deal he wants

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Do people understand that O'Reilly's "great line-mates" were Daniel Winnik, a rookie Gabriel Landeskog, and then a one shouldered Steve Downie, right? Daniel Winnik is an offensive blackhole, Downie got hurt right away, and Landy didn't start aiming for not the goalie's chest until the second half of the season.
5 goals in 4 games disagrees with you

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:51 AM
S2S
Come at me bros

Kessel for

ROR
Pickard
2013 1st

While I'm here, what's the deal with Hishon. Hasn't played 1.5 years due to concussion. Is her write off or what? I never see him mentioned.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:51 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Let's not forget you're only trading for the RIGHTS to ROR

still gotta get him signed to the big deal he wants
Nah, thats not even remotely an issue.

Because of the cancellation of his KHL deal, there's no risk of losing him. Any team willing to trade for him, will undoubtedly be able to speak with him first to find out what kind of deal he is looking for. (ie. Varlamov)

But I agree with Bender here. The mere fact that Garrioch is suggesting the avs are looking at getting a 2ND ROUND PICK, makes the entire premise ridiculous.

Now, that doesnt mean I dont think theyre looking to move, I do believe they are, but why on earth would anyone specify to Garrioch that a 2nd rounder needs to be included.

At least, had a said a young forward and a draft pick, or at least a 1st, id understand. But a 2nd? That just doesnt make any sense. Who goes around asking for 2nd rounders?

EdAVSfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
5 goals in 4 games disagrees with you
Uh-huh. And when he has a total of 7 goals by game #35, you'll know that we've seen this player start ON FIRE each of his seasons with the Avs only to stagnate the rest of the way. Good for him if he keeps it up but history suggests otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post

Yes, please subtract RYAN MURPHY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Kessel for

ROR
Pickard
2013 1st

While I'm here, what's the deal with Hishon. Hasn't played 1.5 years due to concussion. Is her write off or what? I never see him mentioned.
Oh wow, what a great deal! Maybe the Avs can add more?

The Avs control RoR for another 4 years while the Leafs could lose Kessel in 18 months and yet the Avs add a great goalie prospect PLUS a first?!

Seriously, we can give you more if you want.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
viach

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Kessel for

ROR
Pickard
2013 1st

please, no draft pick we lack good prospect

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Ducks made some unexpected call ups today. Sbisa+DSP for RoR?
I like it.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote