Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Dallas Stars Roster Movement

Old
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Bluesoma

vCash: 500
It should also be noted that Fraser has gotten over half of his goals on the powerplay.

He seems to always be in the right place during the power play.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Heika already mentioned lines are jumbled since Roy and Ryder are not skating (they both have already received extra maintenance days previously so I wouldn't be too concerned).

However, he did say Fraser skated mostly at RW with Smith and Eriksson. Since Eriksson is clearly not going to play center in a game, and Fraser is definitely not going to push Eriksson into the pressbox, I think you could speculate Fraser is the extra forward right now rather than being a game player.

Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Lines today if you want to speculate:
Morrow-Benn-Jagr.
Smith-Eriksson-Fraser.
Rousell-Eakin-morrow/Jagr.
Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt.
They obviously only had 11 forwards which is the reason Jagr and Morrow had to rotate on the 3rd line .... just in case someone fails to realize that.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Troy McClure

Also interesting to see the practice d pairs with Daley out and Benn added. Gully broke up the pairs to put one bigger guy with each of his undersized d-men. Hopefully spreading around the heft will help these guys win some more battles in their own end.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Yea if Daley's out I like the pairings.

Quote:
Dillon-Robidas
Goligoski-Rome
Benn-Larsen
Goligoski-Rome could be painful, but the only person I'd trust Goose with is Dillon. And Robidas-Dillon has been a great pairing. I hate the guy but I have to admit Robidas has looked a lot better the past 5 games or so.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Also interesting to see the practice d pairs with Daley out and Benn added. Gully broke up the pairs to put one bigger guy with each of his undersized d-men. Hopefully spreading around the heft will help these guys win some more battles in their own end.
I think you could also speculate Larsen is headed to the bench. Gulutzan was a fan of the Benn-Daley pair when he was up, and Larsen is skating with Benn right now.

Gulutzan probably belongs with a guy like Rome so it makes some sense to break up Daley and Rome to allow Goli to play with a bigger partner.

Unless the plan is to try out Larsen with Daley, I'd assume Larsen goes back to being a healthy scratch based on these pairs in practice.

Obviously Daley's health would dictate how soon that occurred.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I don't think it neccesarily means that. They might just be done with Goose-Larsen pairing (as they should be).

Personally I think Daley-Larsen and Goose-Rome is a more defensively responsible set than the former. Daley-Rome also brings no offensive play, putting Larsen with Daley provides some threat there. And while they may be 2 small D-men, Daley is our best defender and is the one anchor who can get away with not playing with a bigger guy.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
The bigger issue is ... where's Roy?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
The bigger issue is ... where's Roy?
Maintenance day.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Maintenance day.
Sleeping off the hangover, got it.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I don't think it neccesarily means that. They might just be done with Goose-Larsen pairing (as they should be).

Personally I think Daley-Larsen and Goose-Rome is a more defensively responsible set than the former. Daley-Rome also brings no offensive play, putting Larsen with Daley provides some threat there. And while they may be 2 small D-men, Daley is our best defender and is the one anchor who can get away with not playing with a bigger guy.
The only thing against this argument is when is the last time Daley played LD. It may not be that big of deal, but I can't think of the last time he wasn't at RD.

I think Gulutzan has already proven he'd prefer Daley as the top option for playing his offside.

If they were going to play Daley with a more offensive partner, I'd expect to see a Goligoski-Daley pair ... allowing Larsen to play RD with Rome.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The only thing against this argument is when is the last time Daley played LD. It may not be that big of deal, but I can't think of the last time he wasn't at RD.

I think Gulutzan has already proven he'd prefer Daley as the top option for playing his offside.

If they were going to play Daley with a more offensive partner, I'd expect to see a Goligoski-Daley pair ... allowing Larsen to play RD with Rome.
Is Rome an LD? I never checked.

That's a good point. If Daley is going to play RD, then your theory makes sense.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:16 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Is Rome an LD? I never checked.

That's a good point. If Daley is going to play RD, then your theory makes sense.
Rome is a left shot, and he's only played LD so for in Dallas. I'm not sure if he played any RD in Vancouver though.

Goli has played some RD for Gulutzan though, but not often.

Several Dallas coaches ... I think all the way back to Tippett though have played Daley at RD.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
cupwatcher2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
And why is his plus-minus concerning? Not that you should be using that anyway, but he's a +12.
minus 13 last year. his career stats suggest that he is more in the minus than in the plus.

I am not living or dying on a plus minus stat at all - just pointing out what it is.

cupwatcher2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
cupwatcher2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Numbers are everything!!

The guy potted 37 goals last year in the AHL, he has a really good shot and plays a two-way game and he is not a small dude. Exciting player to watch.
Ok, so you would sit out Ryder who had 35 goals last year in the NHL for Fraser? I note that Fraser is soon to be 23 years old, so he is not some 17 year old phenom who is going to lead the Stars back to the promised land.

I guess I don't understand the buzz, having never seen him play.

cupwatcher2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryder View Post
Ok, so you would sit out Ryder who had 35 goals last year in the NHL for Fraser? I note that Fraser is soon to be 23 years old, so he is not some 17 year old phenom who is going to lead the Stars back to the promised land.

The point is Ryder probably won't be here next season and Fraser has done all that's been asked of him at every level and produced. He's always been a guy with a good shot but there were questions about his skating and his defense which he has addressed. 23 is not unusual for a rookie so his age shouldn't be an issue.

Just for comparison sake:

James Neal's one AHL season was 18 goals, 19 assists = 37 points in 62 games in Iowa

Loui Eriksson 32 goals, 29 assists = 60 points in 78 games in Iowa

Cody Eakin 13 goals, 14 assists = 27 points in 43 games in Hershey

Gustov Nyquist 17 goals, 28 assists = 45 points in 48 games in Grand Rapids

Matt Fraser 37 goals, 18 assists = 55 points in 73 games in Texas

Fraser is in line with lots of guys' rookie years. He's a good prospect and it's time to see if he's got what it takes to replace Ryder. That's why guys are interested in him.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:

No one is saying to sit Ryder for Fraser... If anything, it'd be to trade Ryder. But they both fit right now so why bother?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
minus 13 last year. his career stats suggest that he is more in the minus than in the plus.

I am not living or dying on a plus minus stat at all - just pointing out what it is.
He's improved defensively quite a bit. The Stars directed him to upgrade that part of his game and he has.
Quote:

Ryder isn't going to sit for Fraser, but Fraser is Ryder's replacement. Ryder belongs on a contending team that can use him in the playoffs. He's not in the Stars' long-term plans. I realize your primary allegiance is to Ryder. Ours is to the Stars. If you like the way Ryder plays you'll certainly like the way Fraser plays.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:

Texas was brutally defensive last year. Their system was pure run and gun, every goalie was below .900 SV%. Fraser wasn't good defensively and its the reason he didn't get a call up last year. He's made big strides this year.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Sony Eriksson*

For some reason i feel that all the call ups recently is to advertise what Dallas has in term of prospects to other teams.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Before we talk about Ryder's replacement we need to see Fraser at the NHL level, more than the one token game last season...

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Can't look at any of the Texas defensive stats from last season. One of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen at any level.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I wonder what sparked the major turnaround....I mean, tops in the entire league?

Who saw that coming?

02-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I wonder what sparked the major turnaround....I mean, tops in the entire league?

Who saw that coming?
The vets hated the last coach (forgot his name) and were threatening to not re-sign. He had zero accountability in the locker room, and ran practice like a bantam level coach.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
The vets hated the last coach (forgot his name) and were threatening to not re-sign. He had zero accountability in the locker room, and ran practice like a bantam level coach.
Jeff Pyle. Dude was completely opposite on everything Joe was going for.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Is Willie really that good of a coach, or do we just have a talented team?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote