HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smith (and wilson...)

Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
DiXEN8

vCash: 500
Smith (and wilson...)

What's wrong with him? He played 4 and 6 minutes in the last 3 games...

And what's up with Wilson? I tough he'd step up this year

DiXEN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Privy
Unregistered User

I don't think Wilson's stats give a complete picture of his play this year. At times he has looked like he's ready to break out.

Smith was supposed to shine in a shortened season but he's falling flat. His stats do paint an accurate picture of his play. Five shots in five games is not acceptable. Three of those shots were in the first game.

So far the offense as a whole has been "rusty". If Wilson keeps playing the way he has then he should turn the corner and put some points up. If Smith doesn't get his confidence back he will probably find himself in the press box.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Wilson is generating chances, traffic to the net, and finally playing like the big bodied power forward he was drafted to be .... Smith is losing the puck and looks lost most of the time. Smith needs a game in the stands.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

I liked Wilson on the first line with Fisher and Erat last night. No doubt the points will come.
Smith might need to get sent down to Milwaukee...he's playing with no confidence and isn't helping the team.
The team as a whole has sucked both offensively and defensively.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Predator 19 View Post
I liked Wilson on the first line with Fisher and Erat last night. No doubt the points will come.
Smith might need to get sent down to Milwaukee...he's playing with no confidence and isn't helping the team.
The team as a whole has sucked both offensively and defensively.
Time on the Ad's 1st line would help Smith, but I believe Smith is subject to waivers if sent down. He has been playing poorly, but he would get claimed.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
Time on the Ad's 1st line would help Smith, but I believe Smith is subject to waivers if sent down. He has been playing poorly, but he would get claimed.
Nope, Smith is on the last year of his ELC this year and should absolutely be sent down immediately IMO.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Nope, Smith is on the last year of his ELC this year and should absolutely be sent down immediately IMO.
I'm pretty sure he'd have to clear waivers. Smith is 23 and has played 77 NHL games. If I'm not mistaking a 23 year old is eligible for waivers after playing 60 NHL games.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
I'm pretty sure he'd have to clear waivers. Smith is 23 and has played 77 NHL games. If I'm not mistaking a 23 year old is eligible for waivers after playing 60 NHL games.
For some reason I thought he was younger. In any case, he's been downright atrocious. If we can't send him down we need to sit him for a few games.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
For some reason I thought he was younger. In any case, he's been downright atrocious. If we can't send him down we need to sit him for a few games.
He's older than people might think because he played in college.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:21 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

honestly, i'm beginning to wonder if having him go from NCAA straight to the NHL was harmful to his development. same goes for wilson, now that i'm thinking about it.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
honestly, i'm beginning to wonder if having him go from NCAA straight to the NHL was harmful to his development. same goes for wilson, now that i'm thinking about it.
Wilson played in Milwaukee first. Smith could use some time in the AHL right now, but due to waivers that will not happen. His best case right now is to likely sit out for a game or two right next to Coach Allard and get extra practice time every day. He needs to rebuild his confidence and that will not come playing top-6 minutes. Smith needs to start with a clearly defined role and a set of reasonable expectations. Simplify his game. Make sure he's playing with purpose and praise him whenever he meets expectations and correct him when he errs.

Unfortunately, this is a delicate situation. We know he has offensive potential. However, it is necessary for him to turn that potential into performance...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:02 AM
roseyc

I think we can use Smith as trade bait. You say he is doing bad and what will we get for a player that's not working for us. His potential is his trade value. You would think that if Smith could put it all together he can be a good scorer. Ellis and Smith came up together. Ellis is a defenseman and Smith a forward but you can see that Ellis has made strides and found a place in the lineup where Smith got off to fast start but that empty netter miss has been his albatross. The reset button needs to be pushed on him and right now and we need a more polished scorer. I don't think he is the central piece of the trade but a big part of it. Along with a high draft pick and another minor league player could get you a nice player. Who that player is I don't know. I think all western team will deal with the eastern team since they don't play each other this year. The teams that fall out of it quickly or the teams that realize that they might not be a part of the playoff picture. If we don't make a move especially now that Hornqvist is out we might be one of those teams.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I was surprised Smith didn't play in Milwaukee during the lockout. I'm pretty sure he was eligible. That could have done wonders for his development.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I think we can use Smith as trade bait. You say he is doing bad and what will we get for a player that's not working for us. His potential is his trade value. You would think that if Smith could put it all together he can be a good scorer. Ellis and Smith came up together. Ellis is a defenseman and Smith a forward but you can see that Ellis has made strides and found a place in the lineup where Smith got off to fast start but that empty netter miss has been his albatross. The reset button needs to be pushed on him and right now and we need a more polished scorer. I don't think he is the central piece of the trade but a big part of it. Along with a high draft pick and another minor league player could get you a nice player. Who that player is I don't know. I think all western team will deal with the eastern team since they don't play each other this year. The teams that fall out of it quickly or the teams that realize that they might not be a part of the playoff picture. If we don't make a move especially now that Hornqvist is out we might be one of those teams.
Why trade him? He almost broke our rookie records last year and he's off to rough start so we trade him while his value is the lowest?

That doesn't make sense. We finally develop someone who likes to shoot after years of complaining about it, that's been Poile's only flaw at the draft board. That just screams impatient panic move.

It really depends on the player, but I think you're jumping the gun on that one.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Why trade him? He almost broke our rookie records last year and he's off to rough start so we trade him while his value is the lowest?

That doesn't make sense. We finally develop someone who likes to shoot after years of complaining about it, that's been Poile's only flaw at the draft board. That just screams impatient panic move.

It really depends on the player, but I think you're jumping the gun on that one.
Well, I think we "are developing" would be more accurate, but either way I think we will clearly have to give up something to get something. If Smith doesn't really improve much but we're in good position for the playoffs I wouldn't be against trading him around the deadline or whatnot. I honestly think if we get a worthy player in return, our organization can be just fine without Smith. We saw Geoffrion finally get dealt, and I'm sure a package involving Smith can fetch something helpful from a struggling team. Smith isn't a savior and he is a perfect trade bait in the right scenario. He's a young, but not too young, developing player who has offensive instincts.

Am I against keeping him? Not at all. Do I think it's smart to see what the market value might be for him if he continues underachieving? Yes. Also, trading Smith wouldn't be a panic move. Doing something stupid like firing Trotz and/or Poile would be.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:14 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Not fair to include Wilson's name in the title, imo. He has looked just like we all envisioned he would look like. He looks very good.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Wilson played in Milwaukee first. Smith could use some time in the AHL right now, but due to waivers that will not happen. His best case right now is to likely sit out for a game or two right next to Coach Allard and get extra practice time every day. He needs to rebuild his confidence and that will not come playing top-6 minutes. Smith needs to start with a clearly defined role and a set of reasonable expectations. Simplify his game. Make sure he's playing with purpose and praise him whenever he meets expectations and correct him when he errs.

Unfortunately, this is a delicate situation. We know he has offensive potential. However, it is necessary for him to turn that potential into performance...
I would think you almost would have to tell him, "look, we know you can shoot and score, but you make too many mistakes and so you never get yourself in a position to shoot because you've turned the puck over. So the next three games we dont care if you even take a shot, we are going to put you on the 4th line, in limited minutes, and all we want you to do is have zero turnovers, and make at least one solid pass per shift. When you get that down we will think about bumping you up a line"

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:05 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

With Hornquist out, Smith needs to put his big girl panties on and man up and play some better hockey. this team was built with him to contribute ofeensively, not hold Yip's third line jock

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Smith getting less time on the ice than Clune is ridiculous. Offensive players have issues with turnovers some, let him work through it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Not fair to include Wilson's name in the title, imo. He has looked just like we all envisioned he would look like. He looks very good.
Offensively he has looked great, he could definitely use some improvement defensively, but it does seem like he's at least giving more effort in the d zone.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Tangradi is struggling on the Pens as well. I wonder if Poile is considering to trade him for Tangradi (Pens) given similar potential, age, the Shero/Poile relationship, and the fact that all they probably need is a change of scenery to light their fire.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Well, I think we "are developing" would be more accurate, but either way I think we will clearly have to give up something to get something. If Smith doesn't really improve much but we're in good position for the playoffs I wouldn't be against trading him around the deadline or whatnot. I honestly think if we get a worthy player in return, our organization can be just fine without Smith. We saw Geoffrion finally get dealt, and I'm sure a package involving Smith can fetch something helpful from a struggling team. Smith isn't a savior and he is a perfect trade bait in the right scenario. He's a young, but not too young, developing player who has offensive instincts.

Am I against keeping him? Not at all. Do I think it's smart to see what the market value might be for him if he continues underachieving? Yes. Also, trading Smith wouldn't be a panic move. Doing something stupid like firing Trotz and/or Poile would be.
I think that would be a panic move. We need patience with our offensive guys. Smith's only a sophomore with barely any NHL experience. Trading him when he's at his lowest and watching him develop elsewhere reeks of Brian Burke.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I think that would be a panic move. We need patience with our offensive guys. Smith's only a sophomore with barely any NHL experience. Trading him when he's at his lowest and watching him develop elsewhere reeks of Brian Burke.
Unless you're getting a prospect of equal value and at the same stage in his development...

Old
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Unless you're getting a prospect of equal value and at the same stage in his development...
Yeah, but it's way too soon to tell if he needs a change of scenary.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:08 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Yeah, but it's way too soon to tell if he needs a change of scenary.
Good point Soundgarden.