HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Ratner steps down as Forest City CEO

Old
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
Bruce Ratner steps down as Forest City CEO

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130129908

Brooklyn's biggest developer, Bruce Ratner, is preparing to step down as chief executive of Forest City Ratner, the New York City subsidiary of his family's Cleveland-based Forest City Enterprises. Taking his place will be MaryAnne Gilmartin, who became executive vice president in 2007. The switch will elevate her to Mr. Ratner's clear No. 2, as he continues on in his role as chairman.
It was not entirely clear why Mr. Ratner was stepping down or when exactly he would be ceding his CEO responsibilities at the company, but according to one source, his departure will be "sooner rather than later, likely the next few months."..

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:09 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Ladies and Gentlemen - I present to you the new owner of the New York Islanders.

(No evidence at all to support my statement - but intriguing isn't it?)

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:24 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen - I present to you the new owner of the New York Islanders.

(No evidence at all to support my statement - but intriguing isn't it?)
Doubt it. Ratner is a business guy in a business where a profit can be made.
Why in the hell would he want to buy a money and cash flow sieve? Even a profitable NHL is not a great return on investment on an operating basis.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Why in the hell would he want to buy a money and cash flow sieve? Even a profitable NHL is not a great return on investment on an operating basis.
I'm thinking, he's 68, already mega-rich, wants to have some fun, hey why not buy the team from Charles??

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Bert Marshall days

Just glad the NYI to Brooklyn deal was done before he stepped down!

See Sacramento Kings maybe moving to Seattle for why.

He's a minority owner in the Nets. Ya never know if he's someday an owner (minority or not) of NYI.

"The news comes after a banner 2012 for Mr. Ratner. After a decade-long struggle to realize the biggest project of what has been a very big career in New York City real estate, Mr. Ratner finally opened the Barclays Center, the jewel of his 16-acre Atlantic Yards project in the heart of Brooklyn. Even the once-lowly Nets, the anchor tenant in the Barclays Center, in which Mr. Ratner remains a minority owner, have racked up a winning record this season"

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

He's a minority owner in the Nets. Ya never know if he's someday an owner (minority or not) of NYI.

"The news comes after a banner 2012 for Mr. Ratner. After a decade-long struggle to realize the biggest project of what has been a very big career in New York City real estate, Mr. Ratner finally opened the Barclays Center, the jewel of his 16-acre Atlantic Yards project in the heart of Brooklyn. Even the once-lowly Nets, the anchor tenant in the Barclays Center, in which Mr. Ratner remains a minority owner, have racked up a winning record this season"

I think in the hours before the Brooklyn presser, the rumors were flying around the boards that Ratner was either buying the isles or becoming a co-owner.

I just want the isles to sink more $ into payroll.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:

Seattle should get a Hockey team, They would have a nice rivalry with the Vancouver Canucks fans.

In the end Ratner buys the Islanders and has minority owner Pat Lafontaine who owns 1% in charge of the Hockey Operations. The Boston mafia gets fired and we become a legitimate team.

a man can dream....

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Every arena needs a loss leader

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
OpAck

I might be way off...but have we even heard from Charles since the Brooklyn announcement? I haven't been actively looking for comments or quotes to see what Wang is up to...but I literally haven't heard much since he had a discussion with Mangano and brought Ratner on board as an advisor to the Hub project...which was right after the announcement.

Just find it odd...also considering we don't hear much talk about the move to Brooklyn...almost like something is up.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I might be way off...but have we even heard from Charles since the Brooklyn announcement? I haven't been actively looking for comments or quotes to see what Wang is up to...but I literally haven't heard much since he had a discussion with Mangano and brought Ratner on board as an advisor to the Hub project...which was right after the announcement.

Just find it odd...also considering we don't hear much talk about the move to Brooklyn...almost like something is up.
What would you expect to hear?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think in the hours before the Brooklyn presser, the rumors were flying around the boards that Ratner was either buying the isles or becoming a co-owner.

I just want the isles to sink more $ into payroll.
As do we all.

The news was flying so fast that day that NetsDaily said Ratner would be a minority owner but rescinded it as they jumped the gun. Wishfull thinking for us for sure or a premonition by our soon to be arena mates fans?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
It's very strange that 4 games into the season, it hasn't been mentioned once by Howie, Butch or anyone else. I'm not saying they need to start the marketing campaign right now, but it should have been mentioned by now.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:30 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's very strange that 4 games into the season, it hasn't been mentioned once by Howie, Butch or anyone else. I'm not saying they need to start the marketing campaign right now, but it should have been mentioned by now.
I'm sure there are "good faith" efforts in place. Just look at why Jaffe wasn't renewed. The announcers really aren't given much leeway on saying something negative about the current setup nor something positive about replacing it. It's just being professional. They will leave the newspapers and outside resources to do that job until their lease is actually up and they are moving in.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:49 PM
CDirt

I kinda figured at some point Wang is gonna sell. Especially considering with the Barclays deal he's not going to make money off of concessions and other perks you get with owning the building yourself.

Haven't heard much of him being around the team thus far either. Has been noticablly quiet as of late.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 AM
OpAck

Quote:
I can't think of a season where Wang at least didn't make his presence known at the early stages of a season. Whether it's Howie or Hahn/Strang/Staple interviewing him or him doing a "town hall" thing that he maybe did 2-3 seasons. Alot of the discussion had to do with LHP and the Coliseum, so now that everything is settled...perhaps he feels he doesn't have to answer questions or make his presence known. And I'm not really complaining...but add the fact that there really hasn't been much mention on the Isles broadcast about Brooklyn, kinda gives the impression that something may be brewing. Like Howie and Butch were told to keep the Brooklyn talk to a minimum since a few items (ie ownership change or leaving Nassau early) are worked out and discussed.

It's probably nothing, but it's just worth mentioning.

Ratner, Wang, and those involved in the Isles/Brooklyn talks had to have discussed the ownership of the Isles franchise...long term. And with Wang's age (68)...I'm sure they had the conversation about the franchise's stability in the 25 years in Brooklyn. They had to have discussed some sort of plan...whether it's, Wang keeping the franchise til he dies (which could be forever knowing how long the chinese live )...or gradual transfer of ownership to Prokhorov or someone else (Ratner is 69...I don't think he'd take a majority ownership role)...or they have someone in mind to immediately purchase the franchise within this year. Wang made it clear that he will continue to be the sole owner of the Isles, but I'd expect him to say that even if discussions were ongoing about a potential sale of the franchise. I'd just don't know what to believe.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Steve55

Quote:
I can't think of a season where Wang at least didn't make his presence known at the early stages of a season. Whether it's Howie or Hahn/Strang/Staple interviewing him or him doing a "town hall" thing that he maybe did 2-3 seasons. Alot of the discussion had to do with LHP and the Coliseum, so now that everything is settled...perhaps he feels he doesn't have to answer questions or make his presence known. And I'm not really complaining...but add the fact that there really hasn't been much mention on the Isles broadcast about Brooklyn, kinda gives the impression that something may be brewing. Like Howie and Butch were told to keep the Brooklyn talk to a minimum since a few items (ie ownership change or leaving Nassau early) are worked out and discussed.

Ratner, Wang, and those involved in the Isles/Brooklyn talks had to have discussed the ownership of the Isles franchise...long term. And with Wang's age (68)...I'm sure they had the conversation about the franchise's stability in the 25 years in Brooklyn. They had to have discussed some sort of plan...whether it's, Wang keeping the franchise til he dies (which could be forever knowing how long the chinese live )...or gradual transfer of ownership to Prokhorov or someone else (Ratner is 69...I don't think he'd take a majority ownership role)...or they have someone in mind to immediately purchase the franchise within this year. Wang made it clear that he will continue to be the sole owner of the Isles, but I'd expect him to say that even if discussions were ongoing about a potential sale of the franchise. I'd just don't know what to believe.
I think Ratner will buy up to 34% of the Isles with Prokhorov buying another 45 %. Wang can keep the 21% of the Isles for an equal stake at AY or sell it to Nets Sports and Entertainment not owned by Ratner (Forest City). But how much will Wang ask for the Isles?

Last edited by Steve55: 01-29-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

The bolded is probably right IMO. The lockout also stole a lot of the move chat thunder. Wang is most likely busy and will come on TV end of season as he always does. I read a few weeks ago that Howie/Butch won't go out of their way to discuss it but if the opportunity arises like a long break in action they will. Part of being professional. The deal is done, not much more to say until they get closer to the move which is still a long time away of 2-3 years. I don't remember the Devils or Nets talking about their moves much 2-3 years before they moved.

As for your last paragraph, they would never discuss things like that on the air.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Seattle should get a Hockey team, They would have a nice rivalry with the Vancouver Canucks fans.

In the end Ratner buys the Islanders and has minority owner Pat Lafontaine who owns 1% in charge of the Hockey Operations. The Boston mafia gets fired and we become a legitimate team.

a man can dream....
Boston mafia. LOL Priceless.